Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:42:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 1189 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer - MtGoxUSD wall movement tracker  (Read 1811506 times)
robocoin

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:26:38 AM

ok in the hundreds of Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:26:51 AM

In before the price falls below $10.  Cool

The people who own 1000s of bitcoin are soon going to realize they have a dead investment until next spring/summer. The block reward halving in reality will mean miners are GOING to sell more btc to cover costs for new asics and slight amount of elect cost because price is not going to rise to match the halving. Before you could horde quite a few coins due to stuff being paid off but now they have sunk costs to recover, a falling btc price as we go into winter, and less reward in btc.

I will be thrilled to get more then 10 usd per btc come dec.

Maybe. But what makes no sense is buying more mining hardware when the price goes down. You will get allomost nothing from a 4.5GHs thingy when the difficulty is in the millions, it will be like one fucking amd5870 today. Last year, hmmm.

that is the main reason i have not bought a single asic yet. too many unknown variables to make a good decision.
i did a preorder of a avalon though but have not paid. i am waiting to see if btc price crashes down to something decent before
paying the 114 btc i owe on it. it is looking like i will just not get it and wait until spring to see if the numbers add up to make it
viable like gpu was last year.

people are counting on being an early adopter in this asic race. it is the only way to make a killing.
otherwise you are right. come summer these asic jallys will be the equivalent of a 5830-50. Nothing to be
thrilled about owning except low cost in elect. you will need 7+ of them to make a .5 btc per day.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:27:26 AM

I'm going to laugh at you guys when it's 17 in January.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:33:24 AM

the thing is this:

we all know the block reward is halving. the whole market knows this. it is not far off.
one can debate that it is/was priced in. hitting 15 was quite the achievement that lasted
about 14 whole minutes.

there are plenty of btc in the market right this second to cover demand now and in jan.

the reward halving is going to be a non event except for miners who will be sad.

winter has been a really poor time to hold btc compared to summer. it seems quite seasonal
to me as interest dies off for a while. 17 by next summer? that i might bet on.
lebing
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:41:14 AM

the thing is this:

we all know the block reward is halving. the whole market knows this. it is not far off.
one can debate that it is/was priced in. hitting 15 was quite the achievement that lasted
about 14 whole minutes.

there are plenty of btc in the market right this second to cover demand now and in jan.

the reward halving is going to be a non event except for miners who will be sad.

winter has been a really poor time to hold btc compared to summer. it seems quite seasonal

If you believe that mining really has any nominal effect on the price, then yes you would believe that. However, check out the numbers and you'll see it doesn't. It's a fraction compared to those speculating on the economy/ investing early in preparation for astronomical numbers following (incremental) mainstream acceptance. If the price was based on mining, it would be far more linear than it is now.

-E Voorhees
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:49:39 AM

the thing is this:

about 14 whole minutes.

If you believe that mining really has any nominal effect on the price, then yes you would believe that. However, check out the numbers and you'll see it doesn't. It's a fraction compared to those speculating on the economy/ investing early in preparation for astronomical numbers following (incremental) mainstream acceptance. If the price was based on mining, it would be far more linear than it is now.

so speculation is somehow supposed to get us to 17 come jan?
i do think that mining puts a downward pressure on the price on a daily basis. many miners sell all the time. i do.
those btc add up over a week/month time frame.

the bitcoin economy, so far, seems to be a whole lot of goofy ideas, outright fraud, with a tiny percentage of workable ideas.
so by jan seems optimistic to hit 17. it will take more time then that.

but i am not a true believer like many here. i see bitcoin as a cash cow to milk until those teets dry up.

my point is this: i think many large btc holders will realize the safe bet in the short term will be usd/whatever. why let
your money be a dead investment for the next few months with a good risk to lose quite a bit of it?
lebing
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:56:08 AM

the thing is this:

about 14 whole minutes.

i do think that mining puts a downward pressure on the price on a daily basis. many miners sell all the time. i do.

the bitcoin economy, so far, seems to be a whole lot of goofy ideas, outright fraud, with a tiny percentage of workable ideas.

but i am not a true believer like many here. i see bitcoin as a cash cow to milk until those teets dry up.

my point is this: i think many large btc holders will realize the safe bet in the short term will be usd/whatever. why let
your money be a dead investment for the next few months with a good risk to lose quite a bit of it?

Dead investment? I've made like 80% in 4 months just hoarding (squirrel ftw!).

Not sure how to say this without sounding insulting - but if you pay attention to the larger macroeconomics on the worldscene right now you would not think that USD/whatever is anything close to safe.

-E Voorhees
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:00:51 AM

the thing is this:

about 14 whole minutes.

Not sure how to say this without sounding insulting - but if you pay attention to the larger macroeconomics on the worldscene right now you would not think that USD/whatever is anything close to safe.

i do pay attention to the world scene and only a squirrel who lost his nut would put serious money into bitcoin when there are other
options available that can hedge against a crazy world going bonkers. People race to the dollar when shit hits the fan for very good reasons. This will not change in our lifetimes.

Past performance does not equate to future performance. Everyone knows that. You road the summer ride up just like what happened
last year. Lets see who rides it down this winter?

good luck to you! i will gladly sell for anything above 10 right now.
lebing
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:03:48 AM

the thing is this:

about 14 whole minutes.

i do pay attention to the world scene and only a squirrel who lost his nut would put serious money into bitcoin when there are other
options available that can hedge against a crazy world going bonkers. People race to the dollar when shit hits the fan for very good reasons. This will not change in our lifetimes.

Past performance does not equate to future performance. Everyone knows that. You road the summer ride up just like what happened

We can agree to disagree then I suppose (and good luck to you as well!)

But answer me this, why does the season have anything to with the price?

-E Voorhees
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:08:43 AM

the thing is this:

about 14 whole minutes.

Schools are out in the summer, so college kids have more time to browse the web.
Yuhfhrh

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:10:01 AM

Oh crap $11.89
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:10:34 AM

the thing is this:

about 14 whole minutes.

I feel that a lot of bitcoin users are younger, go back to school/college, have seasonal demands on their free cash,  lose interest during major holidays like thanksgiving, christmas, and new years, and otherwise get involved with things that have nothing to do with bitcoin. Just look at the stats on this forum. Things are already slowing down and it will get slower.  

The big diff this time will be asics. It should keep this forum popping from the mining perspective.

I am basing most of this on what happened last winter. I expect it to happen again.

More a hunch then anything.
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:12:28 AM

Dive! Dive! Dive!

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:14:41 AM

at least is old a few up there

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:18:58 AM

Simply safer to be in anything but btc right now. Risk reward ratio is poor. Too much risk.
All this SEC talk is just icing on the cake now. That investment in satoshi dice looks quite dicey ;-)
If you had 2500 btc tied up in it would you feel good right now?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:21:09 AM

Simply safer to be in anything but btc right now. Risk reward ratio is poor. Too much risk.
All this SEC talk is just icing on the cake now. That investment in satoshi dice looks quite dicey ;-)

That sucks, but don't blame bitcoin for your investment losses.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
lebing
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:22:58 AM

Schools are out in the summer, so college kids have more time to browse the web.

Right - because college students are the ones funding the last few million needed to move the price from 5 to 15.  Roll Eyes

-E Voorhees
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:23:40 AM

Right - because college students are the ones funding the last few million needed to move the price from 5 to 15.  Roll Eyes

Also, one man's winter is another man's summer.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Yuhfhrh

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:28:19 AM

They aren't major players, but they do have an effect.
fcmatt
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:29:53 AM

That sucks, but don't blame bitcoin for your investment losses.

i did not make any such investment. i was thinking how i would feel if i had 25K USD tied up in
a gambling website that i bought shares of on a website ran by a Romanian who also hosts porno
on the same domain name!

heh. with gblse just going poof.. i would want out, pronto.
Pages: « 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... 1189 »
  Print  

Jump to: