Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:50:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450905 times)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3850

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:24:36 AM

@raskul

Let us look into what we can do for the projection...

If you have your projection, would you please share with us? (Here is fine!)

We'd love to see how our customers see ROI Projections.

Its all speculation as none of us at Bitmain has a crystal ball  Wink  

If you have one for sale and if it cooks me breakfast and make me some tea, too, let me know!!!  love to have one  Grin

Here's my quick and dirty projection:

1155gh/s currently returns an expected .0147btc per day.  Assume no diff change then 90 day return would be 1.323btc. At current rates that's $436 including psu.  Thermalake is the cheapest PSU I currently see for $67. That would make the S5 cost should be $369 to break-even in 90 days with 'free' electricity.  Any value to sell or mine with after that would be used to offset electricity costs and profit.

So basically if it can't gross it's cost in 90 days, I don't expect it to ever ROI.  This is being rather liberal since diff will change and most have to pay something for electricity. I also don't take into account changes in btc price as if it changes, buy and hold makes more sense.

buy and hold:
1. bores me to tears-I have much more fun trading stocks on a stock market, so mining is clearly more fun.
2. mining is a stretched out affair, essentially you also buy and hold if you are covering your miner and electricity cost  with $$, but accumulate bitcoin. You get much better averaging by mining vs buying in lump sums.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bgibso01
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:42:41 AM

buy and hold:
1. bores me to tears-I have much more fun trading stocks on a stock market, so mining is clearly more fun.
2. mining is a stretched out affair, essentially you also buy and hold if you are covering your miner and electricity cost  with $$, but accumulate bitcoin. You get much better averaging by mining vs buying in lump sums.^Insert: As long as the miner will at least mine the same amount of btc as it originally cost to purchase.

With the above insert Smiley +10
pak13

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:45:41 AM

@raskul

Let us look into what we can do for the projection...

If you have your projection, would you please share with us? (Here is fine!)

We'd love to see how our customers see ROI Projections.

Its all speculation as none of us at Bitmain has a crystal ball  Wink  

If you have one for sale and if it cooks me breakfast and make me some tea, too, let me know!!!  love to have one  Grin

Here's my quick and dirty projection:

1155gh/s currently returns an expected .0147btc per day.  Assume no diff change then 90 day return would be 1.323btc. At current rates that's $436 including psu.  Thermalake is the cheapest PSU I currently see for $67. That would make the S5 cost should be $369 to break-even in 90 days with 'free' electricity.  Any value to sell or mine with after that would be used to offset electricity costs and profit.

So basically if it can't gross it's cost in 90 days, I don't expect it to ever ROI.  This is being rather liberal since diff will change and most have to pay something for electricity. I also don't take into account changes in btc price as if it changes, buy and hold makes more sense.

Lets be realistic, every new advancement in technology, history has shown at least a doubling in difficulty. There is no way an S5 will be able to compete even at half the price. Too little, too late.
kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:47:06 AM

buy and hold:
2. mining is a stretched out affair, essentially you also buy and hold if you are covering your miner and electricity cost  with $$, but accumulate bitcoin. You get much better averaging by mining vs buying in lump sums.

+10

You can also resell used miners on Ebay and recoup some of your investment. The resale value of most mining gear is actually pretty decent assuming the hardware is not junk or completely obsolete.
pak13

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:50:00 AM

Not impressed by the tag line: "The absolutely promising bitcoin chip in the market".
Really? I can only hope no advertising buro was paid to come up with that slogan  Shocked

Specs look like a modest step forward. Pretty much leading the pack today, but probably not enough to compete with upcoming AM/BF/SP rigs, but much will depend on their time to market.

Apparently that has changed to ...
"ANTMINER S5: The New Standard, 0.51J/G,"

So apparently it's now the "new standard" of what? something the SP20 has been capable of for months?
bgibso01
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:51:49 AM

Lets be realistic, every new advancement in technology, history has shown at least a doubling in difficulty. There is no way an S5 will be able to compete even at half the price. Too little, too late.

Wait, I got confused.  Are we talking about ROI, competing or just what it'd take for some of us to pull the trigger?

A. Competing is easy...Bitmain does a fairly decent job as of late. (They use to be very good about allowing an ROI in the early days.)
B.  ROI....wishful thinking.
C.  What it would take to keep playing in the sandbox...a reasonable gross return of bitcoin expended.

YMMV.
pak13

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:58:52 AM

Hi Guys,

S5, you don't have to "hack" to achieve 0.51W/GH at higher $/GH, or better noise level

So making adjustments via a web interface is now classified as a "hack".
NO, NO IT'S NOT!
Having to get a power supply at 9V to underclock your S5's is a "hack".
pak13

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:02:27 AM

also - will the S5 have a full-frame case again like the s3? None of the pictures show a top cover, or even a bottom cover. I assume its to show off the innards, but if a lid isnt actually included the entire dynamic is changed somewhat.

ps: The Sp20 has all the connections at the front, and could be stacked into a 5x5 grid unlike the antminers, which can only stack side-by-side (becomes an issue if you have limited space or 15+ units)

A great point on the connections. Where is the logic to continuing the same flawed design. The two other major manufacturers have pretty much the same single end connected design.
pak13

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:07:57 AM

Wait, I got confused.  Are we talking about ROI, competing or just what it'd take for some of us to pull the trigger?

A. Competing is easy...Bitmain does a fairly decent job as of late. (They use to be very good about allowing an ROI in the early days.)
B.  ROI....wishful thinking.
C.  What it would take to keep playing in the sandbox...a reasonable gross return of bitcoin expended.

YMMV.

I completely agree, Bitmain DID a great job on both previous designs and ROI figures. The games has changed and I still believe the U3, and C1 was the wrong direction. A waste of resources. Not speculating, however if you look at history and extrapolate, with advancements in technology we see some very large jumps in difficulty. Naturally, whilst some will ignore history and repeat the same mistakes, waiting for batch 2 (ie. the more bug free version), we shall see what the true difficulty numbers will be. Just saying don't jump in head first.
pak13

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:09:42 AM

The S5 does have a clear advantage for some people. The fan noise. Some just can't deal with the SP20 noise.

Do we independent or factual noise figures for the S5?

SP20's underclocked are rather quiet. I do agree the noise levels are high if you live near the equator.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:18:16 AM

Interesting product. A lot will depend on pricing, but at similar pricing and efficiency I think you'd have to give the nod to the SP20 due to many of the reasons other people have listed here (established product, ease of changing settings), but also due to the potential risks inherent in the chained design. Bitmain saves significantly on costs by eliminating the VRMs and should get a small efficiency boost from it as well, but so did AM and everyone saw how the Prismas turned out. This wouldn't be a product I'd be investing a lot of money into until the first batch is field tested for awhile.
bgibso01
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:23:28 AM

The S5 does have a clear advantage for some people. The fan noise. Some just can't deal with the SP20 noise.

SP20's underclocked are rather quiet. I do agree the noise levels are high if you live near the equator.

That's my current decision making issue between the sp20 and S5.  I'm hoping to get some details on noise prior to year end so I can make some tax write-off purchases.  Hopefully when this 'fluid' period is over we will have a price and info that will make them the hands down choice (personally I want it to be a no-brainer). Right now comparing batches to batches, the sp20 has them beat by about $600 for the same hashing, not counting the free shipping.

I'm rooting for BM.  I've had the S1, S3, S4, U1 & U2. Liked them all, but the sp20 does look enticing and gets solid reviews.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3850

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:37:56 AM

That's my current decision making issue between the sp20 and S5.  I'm hoping to get some details on noise prior to year end so I can make some tax write-off purchases.  Hopefully when this 'fluid' period is over we will have a price and info that will make them the hands down choice (personally I want it to be a no-brainer). Right now comparing batches to batches, the sp20 has them beat by about $600 for the same hashing, not counting the free shipping.

I'm rooting for BM.  I've had the S1, S3, S4, U1 & U2. Liked them all, but the sp20 does look enticing and gets solid reviews.

manufacturers almost never talk about noise straight.
Besides, people have situations that differ: many have basements or sheds, which makes it much less relevant.
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 03:43:28 AM

S5 will open sales VERY SOON!!!!

Noise wise, we will post DB level reading like it was done in S3 and S4 in the past

Happy Shopping!  Grin

PS:

Limited 90-Day Warranty

The manufacturer warrants this product to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use and conditions, for a period of 90 days from the date of original purchase.  Shipping and handling fees to be paid by the customer. The manufacturer agrees, at its option during the warranty period, to repair any defect in material or workmanship or to furnish a repaired or refurbished product of equal value in exchange without charge (except for a fee for shipping, handling, packing, return postage, and insurance which will be incurred by the customer).   Such repair or replacement is subject to verification of the defect or malfunction and  proof of purchase as confirmed by showing the model number on original dated sales receipt.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT RETURN THIS UNIT TO THE RETAIL
STORE FOR SERVICE. INSTEAD, CALL 1-844-248-6246 FOR ANY
QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS WARRANTY OR PRODUCT

This warranty does not cover:
•   Any product which has been subject to damage due to an act of God, misuse, neglect, accident, abuse, commercial use, or modification of, or to, any part of the product, including the antenna.
•   Damage due to improper operation or maintenance, connection to improper voltage supply, or attempted repair by anyone other than the Manufacturer.
•   Re-manufactured units, product sold AS IS or closeout product.
•   The cost of shipping this product to the Service Center and its return to the owner, if the product was determined to be free of defect or out of warranty period.

Under no circumstances shall the Manufacturer be liable for any loss (direct, indirect, incidental, foreseen, unforeseen, special or consequential) or for any damage arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this product.

This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada and grants specific legal rights, it does not extend to owners of the product other than to the original owner. You may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

Products out of warranty requiring service will be reviewed individually along with the fees associated.

Warranty is subject to change; please visit our website at http://www. bitmaintech.com for the most up to date version.

IMPORTANT: FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO RETURN
YOUR PRODUCT CALL 1-844-248-6248

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
BITMAIN (OP)

Activity: 741
Merit: 514

https://www.bitmain.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 03:57:03 AM

Interesting product. A lot will depend on pricing, but at similar pricing and efficiency I think you'd have to give the nod to the SP20 due to many of the reasons other people have listed here (established product, ease of changing settings), but also due to the potential risks inherent in the chained design. Bitmain saves significantly on costs by eliminating the VRMs and should get a small efficiency boost from it as well, but so did AM and everyone saw how the Prismas turned out. This wouldn't be a product I'd be investing a lot of money into until the first batch is field tested for awhile.

Thanks for your opinion. We have done a small batch of S3++ in the domestic market, which employee the string power design on the BM1382 chip. It works stable and sound until now.

Cloud Mining? Just Go to Hashnest.com          Best Liquidity   Lowest Price   100% Real Mining Back Up
Gamer67

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

тσ ¢σιи σя иσт тσ ¢σιи?

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:57:28 AM

I wish the price was a little lower.

"I am not Dorian Nakamoto."
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:57:57 AM

Would be nice if units could be sold by UK reseller and gets stock in cheap and no Import duties as would like to buy some of these S5 however would kill me on import duties and tax.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 04:04:46 AM

We would love to cater you in UK for cheaper, too, however, we have to respect each country's law in regards to import tax and VAT.  Unfortunately, we are not big enough to move that big rock to say, please waive the import tax or VAT on our products.

Would be nice if units could be sold by UK reseller and gets stock in cheap and no Import duties as would like to buy some of these S5 however would kill me on import duties and tax.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 04:08:13 AM

buy and hold:
2. mining is a stretched out affair, essentially you also buy and hold if you are covering your miner and electricity cost  with $$, but accumulate bitcoin. You get much better averaging by mining vs buying in lump sums.

+10

You can also resell used miners on Ebay and recoup some of your investment. The resale value of most mining gear is actually pretty decent assuming the hardware is not junk or completely obsolete.

I sold all of mine and came out pretty well. Oddly enough the S3s came out higher than the S3+ upgrades. I guess the shiny case is mo betta in their eyes.
barracuda420

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 04:12:56 AM

its ALIVE!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: