Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:06:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 05:32:55 PM

I regularly scan QR codes with a handheld laser scanner. This scanner uses a red laser and likely a monochrome CCD sensor.
Please carefully read the documentation of your scanner. It may be possible to get the BER (Bit Error Rate) after the scan. Almost every scanner has it stored somewhere, but the ways to get it are different for each of them.

BER is the thing to watch for when really working with high-volume scanning.

Scanner has an SDK and API for Windows which would probably reveal data like this if I felt like taking it on as a development project.  I am simply using it as a keyboard wedge, which is nice because then it works just as well in Linux.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 05:45:36 PM

Why don't we just use Satoshi units?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 06:53:14 PM

Very nice - kind of reminds me of a Iraq Dinar though
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:25:32 PM

About the whole "QR can't read this or that debate"
QR code readers usually set everything black and white and then read the data Smiley
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 07:35:22 PM

I think a commemorative 0.00000001 BTC "Satoshi" banknote would be a splendid homage!  It might read "ONE TEN-MILLIONTH OF A BITCOIN".  You can't get more un-Zimbabwe than that.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:43:52 PM

I think a commemorative 0.00000001 BTC "Satoshi" banknote would be a splendid homage!  It might read "ONE TEN-MILLIONTH OF A BITCOIN".  You can't get more un-Zimbabwe than that.

That is what made me remember! If currency units can be in the trillions with real world currency than why not bitcoin since bitcoin has 8 decimal places.

Starbucks grande Late 0.00005 btc or 5000 Satoshi.

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
unclemantis

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:44:51 PM

About the whole "QR can't read this or that debate"
QR code readers usually set everything black and white and then read the data Smiley

Could get the picture of Satoshi or something. It would cost more to fund it and that is the funny thing. LOL

unclemantis

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:46:39 PM

I think there should be 2 types of notes. BTC and Satoshi. Kinda like Dollar and Cents.

Can someone please draw up a Satoshi note just to humor this idea?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 07:49:55 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2012, 08:28:04 PM by psy

EDITED:

This one supports Satoshi's. The amount should be inserted on the blank line after "Amount:" aligned to the right, but including the denomination, bitcoins or milibitcoints or satoshis or whatever else before or after the number of units.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 07:57:44 PM

Psy,

How close is this one to being SVGable?  I would be curious just to see how bitaddress.org might look with it in it.

It has a few typos: Strenght Strength.  Reedem Redeem (I prefer Spend over Redeem, since it's a commodity rather than an obligation).  Also the little B-logo on the lower right corner is still the wrong one

unclemantis

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:02:16 PM

Psy,

How close is this one to being SVGable?  I would be curious just to see how bitaddress.org might look with it in it.

It has a few typos: Strenght Strength.  Reedem Redeem (I prefer Spend over Redeem, since it's a commodity rather than an obligation).  Also the little B-logo on the lower right corner is still the wrong one

From a designer stand point. I am not a designer but I do have a good eye, the little B on the lower right balances out the weight of the note all together.

If he removes it, then it will appear that something NEEDS to be there.

Psy, thoughts?

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 08:03:47 PM

If he removes it, then it will appear that something NEEDS to be there.

I don't mean remove the B, I mean replace the B with the original BTC shape rather than the one that looks retraced as he has done with the other BTC's.  It's a subtle but noticeable difference.  I agree, I like it there too.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:06:25 PM

Psy,

Will fix the typos and change the BTC with the correct one and post a revision later, probably editing the post above.
Will work on the full svg later. Let's see if tomorrow by this time I'm able to have an svg to give you.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:07:27 PM

Psy,

Will fix the typos and change the BTC with the correct one and post a revision later, probably editing the post above.
Will work on the full svg later. Let's see if tomorrow by this time I'm able to have an svg to give you.

I am excited!!!!!!!!

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:14:53 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2012, 08:37:13 PM by 2112

Scanner has an SDK and API for Windows which would probably reveal data like this if I felt like taking it on as a development project.  I am simply using it as a keyboard wedge, which is nice because then it works just as well in Linux.
Post the links. Windows SDKs frequently have COM interface and then the whole development project would be a couple of lines of VB-script typed up in Notepad.

Other scanners have a "enable debug mode" barcode printed in the documentation. Then all you have to do is scan that code after powering up and it will output detailed debug information after every press of the trigger.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:28:37 PM

Edited the post above with the new revision.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92969.msg1039171#msg1039171
rastapool

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 08:50:06 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2012, 09:19:33 PM by rastapool

Why we need two barcodes on a note?
If we have one protected and one unprotected codes, I can see the reason: wee use unprotected "verify"-code to verify and protect a "spend"-code.
But in all notes in this thread, we use both codes in unprotected way. Why can't we just use only one "spend"-code on this type of notes?

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
Napster is down - this is the END of illegal file sharing!
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 09:05:50 PM

If we have one protected and one unprotected codes, I can see the reason: wee use unprotected "verify"-code to verify and protect a "spend"-code.
But in all notes in this thread, we use both codes in unprotected way. Why can't we just use only one "spend"-code on this type of notes?

Yeah and isn't there a way to extract the bitcoin address from the private key anyway? So if you wanted to load the note with BTC you could scan the private key and get a program to tell you the address...
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 18, 2012, 09:36:50 PM

Yeah and isn't there a way to extract the bitcoin address from the private key anyway? So if you wanted to load the note with BTC you could scan the private key and get a program to tell you the address...

yes, you can extract public addy from private key

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2012, 09:39:15 PM

So that the application scanning the note can auto-detect the intended action based on context.  Funding the notes via scanning the private key also creates an unnecessary security risk.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: