Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:41:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:39:09 PM

How much longer is this open, I'll be able to design a real one once I finish my pc by next week.

hi

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:47:57 PM

From my viewpoint, I prefer 4. Not that the others ain't good, it's just that 4 comes first for me.  Wink
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 04:59:16 PM

Maybe the spend QRcode could be made gray rather than black? Make it more difficult for pictures to be taken of it.
Similarly, when it's folded, the part of the note under the code could be dark or another pattern to obscure seeing through it.
freemoney458

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:16:03 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 09:13:45 PM by freemoney458

Hello Casascius,

I want to suggest an optional field with 'expiry date'.

The reason is to make it easy for non-tech-users to prevent accidental double spending and at the same time prevent accidental 'bitcoin loss'. If the bitcoins have not been redeemed before the expiry date, the issuer of the note is allowed to transfer the bitcoins from the address to a new address. This can be easily handled automatically in a client which is used to print the note.

Longer explanation see here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.msg1041420#msg1041420

It would be nice to see the expiry date (and an accompanying text) in a matching style to the artwork.
EDIT:
The suggestion is not needed at this point, because implementing such a field is not the current purpose of the note and it is easy for client developers to add it at a later time.
Thanks to casascius and unclemantis for the clarification.
unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:20:13 PM

Hello Casascius,

The reason is to make it easy for non-tech-users to prevent accidental double spending and at the same time prevent accidental 'bitcoin loss'. If the bitcoins have not been redeemed before the expiry date, the issuer of the note is allowed to transfer the bitcoins from the address to a new address. This can be easily handled automatically in a client which is used to print the note.

It would be nice to see the expiry date (and an accompanying text) in a matching style to the artwork.

This requires being connected to the blockchain and this is not what Mike had in mind. He was looking for a completely offline addition to bitaddress.org.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
freemoney458

Activity: 62

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 08:44:23 PM

Hello Casascius,

This requires being connected to the blockchain and this is not what Mike had in mind. He was looking for a completely offline addition to bitaddress.org.

I do not want to hijack this thread, and I really appreciate the original idea.
Therefore, my suggestion is OPTIONAL.
In the end, it will not be possible (and not desirable, IMHO) to prevent that good ideas like the one from Mike (and the terrific artwork) are used for other purposes as well.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 08:54:53 PM

The issuer of the note can already take back the coins any time he wants: he can simply print two copies of the note, and scan the copy he kept.  He can do that any time as long as the note is not spent, regardless of any date he prints on the note.  At this point, my proposal consists solely of designing artwork and integrating it with an offline javascript bitcoin address generator which has no capability of saving addresses for later "clawback" of funds.  At whatever point one of the client developers integrates banknote printing into the client, that would be a perfect place to suggest this.  It would be trivial for someone to add a field to the artwork and doesn't require any early fundamental planning.

Accidental double spending is not an issue because the bitcoin system doesn't permit double spending, accidental or otherwise.  The purpose of bitcoin cash is for the customer to walk into a retail establishment and buy something with it without dinking around with his smartphone.  When he hands over the cash, it will be scanned and swept at the register just like a gift card.  That register will have access to the block chain.  If the customer has already spent it, the register will know that and won't give him any credit for it, exactly the same as if he presented a spent gift card for payment.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2012, 09:01:46 PM

I would say go ahead and develop this, but pay particular attention to the suggestion that the bill needs to avoid solid stretches of colors.  Someone wanting to print very many copies of this design will need to stock up on magenta and yellow inks for their printer.  I am willing to accept additional candidates to share the reward if they show a great deal of diligence and effort.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 09:03:07 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2012, 09:13:29 PM by Timbo925

Did some more work on my design. Changed it up a little bit.
Hope you like it more Wink

edit: Maybe even a black line to make the borders more separated.

rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2012, 11:12:45 PM

I would say go ahead and develop this, but pay particular attention to the suggestion that the bill needs to avoid solid stretches of colors.  Someone wanting to print very many copies of this design will need to stock up on magenta and yellow inks for their printer.  I am willing to accept additional candidates to share the reward if they show a great deal of diligence and effort.

I took your suggestion into consideration and removed the beige background, leaving it white so that the BG color can be determined by the color of whatever it's being printed on. I think it makes more sense that way anyways. I've also modified the red gradient so that less red ink will be used.

In terms of design, I've added a section for the priv key / address in plaintext. This could be important if someone doesn't have a QR reader and has to (poor soul) type in the priv key manually. I was going to use white text here to match the BTC logo in the corner, but chose to use the darker color for readability. I also chose Verdana (more readable at smaller sizes) here over beloved Georgia for the same reason.

https://i.imgur.com/bySHX.jpg

Again, full resolution and psd file can be found at http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

and Again, constructive criticism is appreciated

unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:36:41 AM

I took your suggestion into consideration and removed the beige background, leaving it white so that the BG color can be determined by the color of whatever it's being printed on. I think it makes more sense that way anyways. I've also modified the red gradient so that less red ink will be used.

In terms of design, I've added a section for the priv key / address in plaintext. This could be important if someone doesn't have a QR reader and has to (poor soul) type in the priv key manually. I was going to use white text here to match the BTC logo in the corner, but chose to use the darker color for readability. I also chose Verdana (more readable at smaller sizes) here over beloved Georgia for the same reason.

Again, full resolution and psd file can be found at http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

and Again, constructive criticism is appreciated

Sorry man but I think it sucks. maybe it is the gradient background or big the fat happy tree in the middle of it all Bob Ross style. I don't know.

Don't mean to offend. I am just not feeling it Sad

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:51:16 AM

Sorry man but I think it sucks. maybe it is the gradient background or big the fat happy tree in the middle of it all Bob Ross style. I don't know.

Don't mean to offend. I am just not feeling it Sad

You seemed to like version 2. Is there something about the redesign you don't like? The vertical stripe? Version 2 also had a gradient as a major feature of its design

Thanks
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:52:14 AM

No offense to Gavin, but can we scratch him, and people altogether from the notes ?

Lets not make it about anyone... 

We should at least avoid living persons, and in particular avoid glorifying our community leaders. What if we did this a while back and had Bruce bills? Wink
I concurr with the above. Please avoid portraits of humans.

In order to increase the artistic and collectible value of the bitcoin banknotes it should have the drawings of alpacas and scenes from the life of alpacas.

Alpaca is the spiritual animal of Bitcoin, because alpaca socks were one of the first physical products sold for bitcoins.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:56:04 AM

No offense to Gavin, but can we scratch him, and people altogether from the notes ?

We should at least avoid living persons, and in particular avoid glorifying our community leaders. What if we did this a while back and had Bruce bills? Wink

In order to increase the artistic and collectible value of the bitcoin banknotes it should have the drawings of alpacas and scenes from the life of alpacas.

Alpaca is the spiritual animal of Bitcoin, because alpaca socks were one of the first physical products sold for bitcoins.

I considered having Domino's pizza as the centerpiece of my bill Wink
unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 12:56:48 AM

I would say Bender

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:06:25 AM

Then you would have to forever pay mechanical royalties to some pizza chain and the cute daughter of laszlo.

Alpacas will sign off all their royalties just for some tasty grass.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:33:17 AM

Can't wait to see what the site will look like.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:36:14 AM

Can't wait to see what the site will look like.

+1

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 02:46:00 AM

All of these are candidates to share in the $200 reward budget I have allocated for the banknote design project.

In order to be eligible, I need the following:

* PUBLISH your artwork in a layered vector file format (.ai, .svg, .pdf, .psd, etc.) where others may download and manipulate it directly.  JPG/PNG posting on image hosting sites does not count!
* AGREE that you release the artwork to the public domain.  Anyone can use it for whatever they wish without attribution or compensation (for example, robkohr may immediately start making his bitcoin checks out of them).  I deem this accepted by participating in my reward, please explicitly opt out if this term is not acceptable.
* Make reasonable touch-ups as I may request. (I'm not an expert at these programs)
* All of the following will be considered: Creativity; how much effort was spent on it; how responsive you were to suggestions to tweak it; how well it matches my subjective idea of what I was looking for in the first place; and whatever other criteria I feel like throwing on.  But I will be spending $200 on rewards.

My vote: (2||4), 3, 1

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:51:03 AM

are we voting yet? Hey Mike can you added a pool to this subject?

1 2 3 4
2 3 4 1
3 4 1 2
4 1 2 3
1 4 3 2
1 3 2 4
etc.... IDK LOL

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: