Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:08:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 05:26:06 AM

ugghhh..

The one with alan turing is horrible just because he's in it..

Avoid people.. 

And one up there has

Vires in numbers..      Is that correct ?

I think its supposed to be slightly diff...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:07:40 PM

I am still waiting for an updated version of the SAVINGS BOND!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 01:39:08 PM

ugghhh..

Avoid people.. 

And one up there has

2 of the 4 accepted already have people on them. Not only that, but one of those two has a quote by a person as well... why should people be excluded from our notes?

One of the points of my design was to make it seem like cash... hence the identical dimensions to a US dollar, and hence the large portrait of a person found on most currency (and Turing is a prime choice- he was important in the fields of computer science AND cryptography, both of which bitcoin is based in). Although bitcoin notes may not be carried around as often as regular cash (it's the currency of the INTERNET, after all), I still think it would be in our best interest to have them be similar to cash. I think it would be more likely to ease adoption.

Do you actually have a reasonable argument as to why there shouldn't be people on our notes? Or any other criticism than "it's terrible cause it has a person on it"?
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:23:20 PM

Designs for the reverse? I'd like to buy blank notes and fill in myself.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:23:47 PM

ugghhh..

Avoid people.. 

And one up there has

2 of the 4 accepted already have people on them. Not only that, but one of those two has a quote by a person as well... why should people be excluded from our notes?

One of the points of my design was to make it seem like cash... hence the identical dimensions to a US dollar, and hence the large portrait of a person found on most currency (and Turing is a prime choice- he was important in the fields of computer science AND cryptography, both of which bitcoin is based in). Although bitcoin notes may not be carried around as often as regular cash (it's the currency of the INTERNET, after all), I still think it would be in our best interest to have them be similar to cash. I think it would be more likely to ease adoption.

Do you actually have a reasonable argument as to why there shouldn't be people on our notes? Or any other criticism than "it's terrible cause it has a person on it"?

Bitcoin is NOT a currency is it? It is an instrument of bartering. But then again beads and shells where considered currency at one point.

We do live in exciting times! Scary but exciting!

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 02:25:39 PM

ugghhh..

Avoid people.. 

And one up there has

Bitcoin is NOT a currency is it? It is an instrument of bartering. But then again beads and shells where considered currency at one point.

We do live in exciting times! Scary but exciting!

http://bitcoin.org/

The very first sentence at the top of the page:
"Bitcoin is an experimental new digital currency..."
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:44:17 PM

The PSD file is available to download @ http://ocantinhodadama.clinicadosom.com/2012/07/20/bitcoin-note-design-psd-file/

That is the designer personal blog. The post was written by me because she's not very good with english, hence  why I was also the one posting the work here and transmitting her the messages.

Show her your love by leaving a comment there and maybe a tip on her Bitcoin address. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Mike, anything you need retouched on the design, just ask. I explained her the conditions imposed for the reward and she fully accepts them Wink

Have fun printing some money! Grin

EDIT: Almost forgot. The green note PSD will be posted also, after the weekend.
ildubbioso

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 03:48:07 PM

In the Alan Turing one I cannot write the amount of BTC
rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:38:39 PM

In the Alan Turing one I cannot write the amount of BTC

Try this on for size!

https://i.imgur.com/afvOd.jpg

Simple, like you'd find on a check. Little ink overhead. Tastefully placed :]

Updated PSD and full resolution posted to http://dropcanvas.com/jfp75

If you like my design, make sure to vote for it  Wink
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 04:46:02 PM

I just think a bitcoin note should stand for itself.. no people.. I think it would detract from people taking it seriously, I specially dont like the turing one because the picture is of a young boy it looks like..   

Also the people are too prominent in the design..  these should be their own identity, not just reproducing what people expect see on a typical FIAT note...   This is not fiat...   

I think it should be designed with math in mind, numbers, shapes...  ect..

I asked 8 people at work, who is Alan Turing..   only one knew..   sad but true..  (I work in IT/Banking)

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 04:53:23 PM

I just think a bitcoin note should stand for itself.. no people.. I think it would detract from people taking it seriously, I specially dont like the turing one because the picture is of a young boy it looks like..   

Also the people are too prominent in the design..  these should be their own identity, not just reproducing what people expect see on a typical FIAT note...   This is not fiat...   

I asked 8 people at work, who is Alan Turing..   only one knew..   sad but true..  (I work in IT/Banking)
I agree with you about shapes and such, but IMO people not knowing who Turing is is a reason to put his face on the currency, not take it off.

unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 05:45:01 PM

The PSD file is available to download @ http://ocantinhodadama.clinicadosom.com/2012/07/20/bitcoin-note-design-psd-file/

That is the designer personal blog. The post was written by me because she's not very good with english, hence  why I was also the one posting the work here and transmitting her the messages.

Show her your love by leaving a comment there and maybe a tip on her Bitcoin address. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Mike, anything you need retouched on the design, just ask. I explained her the conditions imposed for the reward and she fully accepts them Wink

Downloading now. 30MB and still going! Little big to be 100 percent vector.

EDIT: 45.3MB zipped 165 MB for the Photoshop file alone. There are other asset files included but WOW!

EDIT: WOW! Ran out of memory and caused chrome to crash. NOT COOL!

EDIT: I think I will wait for the SVG file. I will be sure to tip her once I have my wallet open Smiley

rxw

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 05:53:41 PM

A bitcoin note may not be fiat, but my understanding of this project was that the notes might be used and accepted like fiat. The simplest way to make this transition in peoples' minds is to have the notes be familiar, not alien-looking.

How much does George Washington have to with how the modern American economy works? And... who's on the one dollar bill?

If you claimed to be a computer scientist and said you didn't know who Alan Turing was, you would probably be cock-slapped in the face. Besides, I guarantee you I didn't know who Alexander Hamilton was when I got my first $10 bill. People will learn.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:04:07 PM

That is the designer personal blog. The post was written by me because she's not very good with english, hence  why I was also the one posting the work here and transmitting her the messages.

EDIT: 45.3MB zipped 165 MB for the Photoshop file alone. There are other asset files included but WOW!

EDIT: I think I will wait for the SVG file. I will be sure to tip her once I have my wallet open Smiley

It was made on a lousy laptop with 4GB RAM and having at least Firefox and instant messengers open besides Photoshop CS5. Not sure how it crashed your PC. lol I would test it in mine, which has the same specs as hers, but I use Ubuntu, so, no Photoshop for me Tongue
People should take into account it's a 300 dpi 5000px wide image.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:07:21 PM

That is the designer personal blog. The post was written by me because she's not very good with english, hence  why I was also the one posting the work here and transmitting her the messages.

It was made on a lousy laptop with 4GB RAM and having at least Firefox and instant messengers open. Not sure how it crashed your PC. lol
People should take into account it's a 300 dpi 5000px wide image.

PSY do you need help converting it to an EPS file? I can't help with the SVG but I can at least help make the transision from PSD Raster to SVG smoother.

let me know.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:24:02 PM

She exported it as an EPS... No luck. It was pixelated when she opened the EPS on Illustrator. Also, opening the PSD on Illustrator flattened all the layers into one, not sure why.

I already have most of the layers converted to SVG. Only a matter of converting the rest of them and compose the design again on Inkscape or Illustrator, but my hands are tied right now as she went out for the weekend and I don't have Photoshop, or else I would continue working on vectorizing the remaining elements.
Not even going to try and open the PSD on GIMP as I'm sure there will be something missing in there, as usual.
unclemantis

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:34:00 PM

She exported it as an EPS... No luck. It was pixelated when she opened the EPS on Illustrator. Also, opening the PSD on Illustrator flattened all the layers into one, not sure why.

I already have most of the layers converted to SVG. Only a matter of converting the rest of them and compose the design again on Inkscape or Illustrator, but my hands are tied right now as she went out for the weekend and I don't have Photoshop, or else I would continue working on vectorizing the remaining elements.
Not even going to try and open the PSD on GIMP as I'm sure there will be something missing in there, as usual.

Sounds like you have it under control. Let me know if you need help with Illustrator stuff. I am not an artist but I know how to use the tools Smiley

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2012, 06:38:55 PM

Adobe software has a downloadable 7 day free trial mode FWIW

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:51:13 PM

There is a Photoshop CS5 for Linux?  Huh

Even when I used windows I never installed Trial versions when I didn't intended to buy the software. Too may crap installed. Now make it an Adobe product and the crap is endless. I didn't even used Adobe Reader because it had the nasty habit of running the auto-updater even when I disabled it Wink
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 20, 2012, 06:52:54 PM

There is a Photoshop CS5 for Linux?  Huh
No there isn't.  AFAIK Inkscape and GIMP are your best choices.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: