Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:30:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 08:21:23 PM

I have drafted a proposal for how I think password-protected private keys should work, and published it in the Wiki.

Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=97752.0
Wiki: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Casascius/Base58Check-encoded_objects_proposal

Looking forward to it!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
a5an0

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 04:15:28 AM

psy: awesome design. I really like it.

Why not fold it in thirds instead of in-half, that way the address is right there, but you have to unfold it to get to the private key. Psy's design would look awesome with the address on the "front" of the packet and the big B on the back. You can easily secure it with a piece of tape if you feel so inclined.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 03:02:17 PM

Very successful thread. Great designs guys.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 05:36:04 AM

payments for genius art can be directed to: 1RXWrxw3JBVv4AKy9UGSrXnQefwzWJUmM

Nice art

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
midnightlightning

Activity: 68

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 03:48:34 PM

Thanks for the great design, Psy. Though for my preference, the "field" curves around the upper-right and lower-left logos are a bit too blocky. So I created my own variant:

Updated ZIP with the PSD and PNGs of each layer available here, should anyone else want to utilize.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 03:53:29 PM

can anybody post all 4 bills in one post so it is easier to vote?

midnightlightning

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:27:21 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2012, 06:10:24 PM by midnightlightning

Voting is finished, though the four candidates are collected here in the "call to vote" post by casascius.

I think I have just about got the reward payout scheme just about finalized.  And the gracious donation of 10BTC, I think I am going to say should go to the person who successfully marries the BitAddress.org codebase with the SVG version of what is pretty much certainly the first-place winner: the banknote presented to us by Psy.

I plan to tackle integrating this with BitAddress.org's code, though it won't be the SVG version, since the QR code generation on BitAddress.org uses HTML Canvas elements, not SVG elements. So there's two ways to go on this: use the existing BitAddress.org QR library and draw the full banknote as a canvas element (using JPEG/PNG version of the banknote background; output would be a canvas element, which the browser would render as JPEG or PNG. Might be less quality on a print) or find a new QR library that can generate SVG output (could print higher res) rather than canvas (or modify the existing QR library to be SVG; haven't checked to see how hard that is...).

EDIT: Working version of BitAddress.org code with Psy's banknote backgrounds: https://github.com/MidnightLightning/bitaddress.org
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 10:03:11 PM

I plan to tackle integrating this with BitAddress.org's code, though it won't be the SVG version, since the QR code generation on BitAddress.org uses HTML Canvas elements, not SVG elements. So there's two ways to go on this: use the existing BitAddress.org QR library and draw the full banknote as a canvas element (using JPEG/PNG version of the banknote background; output would be a canvas element, which the browser would render as JPEG or PNG. Might be less quality on a print) or find a new QR library that can generate SVG output (could print higher res) rather than canvas (or modify the existing QR library to be SVG; haven't checked to see how hard that is...).

EDIT: Working version of BitAddress.org code with Psy's banknote backgrounds: https://github.com/MidnightLightning/bitaddress.org

This would work better if it used PNG without JPEG compression... there are visible JPEG compression artifacts in the output that are very apparent when printed to paper.  Since the target media is a printer, the image should ideally be at a much higher resolution appropriate for a printer.

Resolution for a QR code is not really an issue: it is a low-resolution raster image to begin with.  As long as the transitions from black to white are reasonably sharp, and as long as the browser isn't creating grey areas in the process of scaling, there is no benefit to be derived from increasing their resolution.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
a5an0

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:35:11 AM

Voting is finished, though the four candidates are collected here in the "call to vote" post by casascius.

I think I have just about got the reward payout scheme just about finalized.  And the gracious donation of 10BTC, I think I am going to say should go to the person who successfully marries the BitAddress.org codebase with the SVG version of what is pretty much certainly the first-place winner: the banknote presented to us by Psy.

Looks awesome so far! I'm going to print out a few tomorrow and see how they look
midnightlightning

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 05:47:21 PM

This would work better if it used PNG without JPEG compression... there are visible JPEG compression artifacts in the output that are very apparent when printed to paper.  Since the target media is a printer, the image should ideally be at a much higher resolution appropriate for a printer.
Agreed; I just used the JPEG for proof-of-concept because the image-to-data-url converter I found had a max size limit. Moving it to PNG or at least a higher-quality JPEG would be ideal. I kept with the bitaddress.org concept of having everything in one file to make it easy for offline use, though I am considering modifying it to be one HTML file and one image file. That way people could "roll their own" bitnotes by changing the image file and parameters in the source (which dictate where the text goes). If I keep the "one file" style, I'll just need to build my own data-url converter or find an existing one that takes larger file sizes.

I'll probably move to making each note one canvas element, which will git rid of the browser inconsistencies with CSS transforms and absolute positioning. Plus that will make each note able to be right-clicked and saved as a separate image if people so desire.
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 07:39:58 PM

Great work!

One gripe though: the QR codes are not completely aligned with the canvas pixels, and thus they look a bit fuzzy. I think  this has to do with the canvas pixel numbering scheme. I believe if you add 0.5 to the location of all pixels in your output, then canvas will draw in the center of the pixel instead of on the edge.

c.f. http://diveintohtml5.info/canvas.html#pixel-madness

ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:56:28 PM

Good god that is sexy

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
midnightlightning

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:33:10 PM

I think  this has to do with the canvas pixel numbering scheme. I believe if you add 0.5 to the location of all pixels in your output, then canvas will draw in the center of the pixel instead of on the edge.
Ah yes, I've done that with SVG output to be more crisp; didn't realize canvas had the same unintuitive process. I'll update that along with making the whole banknote a canvas element.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 09:46:45 PM

I noticed in the SVG file that some of the elements (specifically: the grid lines in the background and the mathematical formula) are not vectors, they are base64-encoded PNGs. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this or worked around it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:49:46 PM

I noticed in the SVG file that some of the elements (specifically: the grid lines in the background and the mathematical formula) are not vectors, they are base64-encoded PNGs. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this or worked around it.

The mathematical formula is originally an SVG, not sure how it got included as a png when I composed the full note.
Still working on converting the grids into SVG, but it isn't as easy as I told you on my PM and not really sure if I can do it without making them from scratch.
BTC-engineer

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 01:04:45 PM

There seems to be a bug. In the QR-code field of the private key is the public key, so both QR-codes are the same and are reflecting the public key. The private key in text format is correct.

█         
                             ▀██       
                              ███▄     
                              █████     
                 ▄██████████   █████   
            ▄███████████████   █████▄   
         ▄██████████████████   ██████   
       █████████████████████  ███████   
     ██████████████████████   ████████ 
   ▄████████▀                █████████ 
  ██████    ▄██████         ██████████ 
 ███▀    ▄██████████      ███████████   
██       ████████████    ████████████   
          █████████████   ██████████   
            █████████████   ███████     
              █████████████▄    ██▀     
                 ██████████████         
                    ▀███████████████▄   
                          ▀███████████▀

FLUX 

VALVE      UBISOFT     GAMING ECOSYSTEM      Origin      GAMELOFT 
                   WEBSITE WHITEPAPER MEDIUM TWITTER FACEBOOK TELEGRAM █       

17 - 24 April
   Public Sale
unclemantis

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:12:52 PM

YA BABY! Freaking awesome!!!!! I have been waiting for this!

Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
unclemantis

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:16:03 PM

Can someone provide a service that provides just the note design the same way that blank check designs are presented and sold at places like office supply stores and allow us to print onto it in just blank ink the QR codes, amount and keys? Now that is something I would pay for!

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 06:23:03 PM

Can someone provide a service that provides just the note design the same way that blank check designs are presented and sold at places like office supply stores and allow us to print onto it in just blank ink the QR codes, amount and keys? Now that is something I would pay for!

I thought of this... like having a print job run of pre-perforated paper with the bill artwork pre-printed, where you can run them through your printer to add the QR codes and then tear along the perfs.  Of course it will look better if you cut it with a proper cutter, but the perfs are quick and convenient on the go.

unclemantis

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 06:28:41 PM

I thought of this... like having a print job run of pre-perforated paper with the bill artwork pre-printed, where you can run them through your printer to add the QR codes and then tear along the perfs.  Of course it will look better if you cut it with a proper cutter, but the perfs are quick and convenient on the go.

i am not sure what the setup and minimum run would be for offset, but I am down. Count me in for donation for start-up. Perhaps a percentage of the proceeds for each pad sold? IDK.

Thoughts?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: