Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:28:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public STATEMENT Regarding Bitcoinica account hack at MtGox  (Read 72793 times)
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:44:44 AM

Relevant?

Session Time: Fri Jul 13 00:00:00 2012
[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #intersango
[00:49] * ChanServ sets mode: +o phantomcircuit
[01:01] * phantomcircuit sets mode: -o phantomcircuit
[01:01] * phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #bitcoinconsultancy

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #bitcoinica

Huh? Wtf Huh
If this log is real, this guy's got some explaining to do

I just read through all of this and missed if there was a follow-up to this post?

Not that I've seen.

I just searched for 'steve_bobs' in my IRC logs, and it came up a few times:

$ zgrep -i steve_bobs *
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:07:02 -!- phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:23 < steve_bobs> still aren't
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:23 < steve_bobs> they're a bank in europe
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:24 < steve_bobs> in the us they're a payment processor or something
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:24 < steve_bobs> iz, you sure that's what actually happened? seemed to have been something different from that
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:25 < steve_bobs> innocent, dialcoin
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:25 < steve_bobs> iz, yeah that's not what that says
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:26 < steve_bobs> pretty sure
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:26 < steve_bobs> that's an api key
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:26 < steve_bobs> not a password
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:43 < steve_bobs> helo, it's actually impossible
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:43 < steve_bobs> the risk to the insurer would be so high that they would never accept the contract
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:43 < kiba> steve_bobs: why would it be impossible? you know something that I don't?
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:21:44 < steve_bobs> if your premiums would be more than about 5% annually of the maximum liability of the insurance typically they will simply deny your application
#bitcoin-2012-07-13.log:22:37 < steve_bobs> ;;bc,blocks
#bitcoin-2012-07-14.log:02:39 < steve_bobs> HORRAY CHEAP OLIVE OIL
#bitcoin-2012-07-14.log:22:34 -!- steve_bobs [~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
#bitcoin-dev-2012-07-13.log:07:02 -!- phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs
#bitcoin-dev-2012-07-13.log:17:15 < steve_bobs> gavinandresen, how would that work for an exchange though?
#bitcoin-dev-2012-07-13.log:17:16 < gavinandresen> steve_bobs: I don't think it would work for an exchange, they'll have to be a MSB
#bitcoin-dev-2012-07-14.log:22:34 -!- steve_bobs [~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
#bitcoin-otc-2012-07-13.log:07:02 -!- phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs
#bitcoin-otc-2012-07-14.log:22:34 -!- steve_bobs [~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:48:06 AM

I just searched for 'steve_bobs' in my IRC logs, and it came up a few times:
Looks like your hits were about the same as mine.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 12:52:56 AM

What exactly are they trying to match up that uyou are saynig does not?

That he's owned that domain since almost 10 years back.

Can someone confirm this? Is this really true? If the Zhou we are all referencing created this then he was only 7.
Truly a genius! Making websites at such a young age.
defxor

Activity: 530

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 12:57:51 AM

Can someone confirm this? Is this really true? If the Zhou we are all referencing created this then he was only 7.

You misunderstood. My point was to disprove the suggestion by Phinnaeus that Zhou indeed had that domain back then.

(And since then I've also stumbled upon verification for Zhou's claim that he bought it in March: http://q.3hk.cn/u/zhoutong.html )

allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 01:01:32 AM

You misunderstood. My point was to disprove the suggestion by Phinnaeus that Zhou indeed had that domain back then.

(And since then I've also stumbled upon verification for Zhou's claim that he bought it in March: http://q.3hk.cn/u/zhoutong.html )

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Liberty Payout

Activity: 280

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 01:11:31 AM

I feel as though this is just another leaky faucet. Let's stop mopping up the mess and look to fix the faucet itself first. The issue is the online storage of bitcoin. I don't claim to know a lot about bitcoin but i've been apart of this community for 2 months and have seen my fair share of grandeur hacks. While this thread has been informative, what's done is done. Might I suggest that we as a community start putting our heads together on something more productive such as  how to prevent future attacks of this kind?
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 01:18:10 AM

I feel as though this is just another leaky faucet. Let's stop mopping up the mess and look to fix the faucet itself first. The issue is the online storage of bitcoin. I don't claim to know a lot about bitcoin but i've been apart of this community for 2 months and have seen my fair share of grandeur hacks. While this thread has been informative, what's done is done. Might I suggest that we as a community start putting our heads together on something more productive such as  how to prevent future attacks of this kind?

Do MtGox still store half a million BTC in one single address?

Liberty Payout

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 01:22:28 AM

Do MtGox still store half a million BTC in one single address?

I honestly have no clue. I don't know much about bitcoin but I do know the current arrangements are not profitable. It seems like every other week there is some story about how a database has been hacked into or something of the sort. There should seriously be some alternatives cause let's face it, $200,000 scams are not doing much for the bitcoin image.
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 01:22:31 AM

The best solution is tight government and international UN oversight.  Bitcoin is going to be the global currency, so it makes sense to build the necessary legal infrastructure to resolve disputes like this before it gets there.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 01:42:38 AM

Umm, no. That would be just about the most opposite thing imaginable for bitcoin. The UN? Why would anybody suggest that collection of slavers, extortionists and rapists to provide oversight for anything? And what government do you trust to oversee your wealth and means of exchange? They have pretty much enslaved all of us with every single fiat scheme they have every come up with as a means to keep us under the jack-boot of authority, and now you want bitcoin to be the same?

Better to execute the first 25 scammers proven to have stolen from the bitcoin community, pour encourager les autres. That's all the legal infrastructure needed thanks all the same.
Liberty Payout

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 01:59:46 AM

Umm, no. That would be just about the most opposite thing imaginable for bitcoin. The UN? Why would anybody suggest that collection of slavers, extortionists and rapists to provide oversight for anything? And what government do you trust to oversee your wealth and means of exchange? They have pretty much enslaved all of us with every single fiat scheme they have every come up with as a means to keep us under the jack-boot of authority, and now you want bitcoin to be the same?

Better to execute the first 25 scammers proven to have stolen from the bitcoin community, pour encourager les autres. That's all the legal infrastructure needed thanks all the same.

Execute how? No matter what we end up resorting to some sort of government based system to carry out this "justice". We throw around words like  "Lawyer up" "Extradite" but who oversees these things? The government. A currency completely independent of any government is no different from a dystopian society. It seems perfect from the outside but once you get in we have things like this going down and no way to effectively handle them and prevent them. We need a more effective way of handling bitcoin related issues that doesn't include lynch mobbing every member that might be a scammer.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 02:09:16 AM

Every hack in this case would be prevented by a simple 2 Factor authentication, be it a yubikey or a Google Authenticator.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 02:11:34 AM

Every hack in this case would be prevented by a simple 2 Factor authentication, be it a yubikey or a Google Authenticator.

I believe that fact was factored in, hence the hacks.
Rarity

Activity: 182

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 02:29:21 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm very in favor of executing people for major economic crimes and redistributing their wealth.  The heads of collapsed/bailed out major banks and insurance companies for example do not deserve to hold on to their wealth and freedom.  However, if we don't give our leaders the oversight and regulation powers they need to prove the criminal nature of these activities they will not know who to execute and how to confiscate their wealth.

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
phungus

Activity: 128

I'm doin' fine on cloud 9

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 02:44:55 AM

WHERE IS CHEAP OLIVE OIL?

:-)

I can do stuff
dancingnancy

Activity: 661

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 02:47:49 AM

I feel as though this is just another leaky faucet. Let's stop mopping up the mess and look to fix the faucet itself first. The issue is the online storage of bitcoin. I don't claim to know a lot about bitcoin but i've been apart of this community for 2 months and have seen my fair share of grandeur hacks. While this thread has been informative, what's done is done. Might I suggest that we as a community start putting our heads together on something more productive such as  how to prevent future attacks of this kind?

Derp.  We have a winner.  Unless someone f/Bitcoinica was really the one pulling the strings the whole time.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 03:44:23 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2012, 03:54:52 AM by zhoutong

I actually started making websites at 7, exactly. At that time, I used Microsoft Frontpage and Macromedia Dreamweaver.

But no, my parents wouldn't let me buy a domain at that time.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:53:33 AM

WHERE IS CHEAP OLIVE OIL?

:-)

Here's the context:

02:35 < Karmaon> I am selling 100% tainted coins.
02:35 < phungus> lol
02:35 < phungus> 3 cents on the dollar~
02:35 < Karmaon> Coins are straight from the Bitcoinica incident (the previous hack)
02:36 < phungus> whoa
02:36 < phungus> that is pretty tainted alright
02:36 < Karmaon> Come get yours now! Limited quantities available.
02:36 < phungus> eh
02:36 < phungus> buy stuff on SR
02:36 < phungus> they won't care
02:36 < phungus> lol
02:36 < Karmaon> I only have a few Tongue
02:36 < phungus> or sell them there
02:36 < phungus> even better
02:37 < phungus> open up a sellers account with those tainted coins
02:37 < phungus> start a new life
02:37 < RegimeToppler> I think the best way to get a "job" paying with bitcoins is to sell stuff online with them.
02:37 < phungus> turn over a new leaf!
02:37 < ku> wtf
02:37 < phungus> renounce your hackerous ways!
02:37 < ku> 315,000 posts in the Silk Road forums
02:37 < phungus> REPENT SINNER
02:37 < ku> that's only a third of Bitcoin Talk
02:38 < I2PRelay> <zmux> I agree RegimeToppler.
02:38 < RegimeToppler> I bet buying olive oil from troubled European countries and then selling them with USD in the US would be a good idea.
02:38 < I2PRelay> <zmux> Mining just seems like a get rich lazy scheme to me.
02:38 < Karmaon> SELLING EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
02:38 < phungus> Coconut oil went up 30% this year
02:38 < I2PRelay> <zmux> phungus: How do you know, is there a price index for these things?
02:38 < nimdAHK> RegimeToppler: you should make a company out of that arbitrage idea, but never actually do it
02:39 < RegimeToppler> All of the European countries that produce olive oil have collapsing economies right now, and Euros are collapsing too.
02:39 < I2PRelay> <zmux> By the way, testing testing Tongue
02:39 < nimdAHK> just pay investors with other investors' money
02:39  * nimdAHK realizes that that's been done before
02:39 < steve_bobs> HORRAY CHEAP OLIVE OIL

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 07:24:37 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2012, 07:39:32 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

zhoutong.com1 --> Jiahong Plastic Machinery Co., Ltd. or zhoutongsuji.com  --> same phone numbers

From zhoutong.com1's website:

Ryan Chau systems Machinery Co., Ltd. has a long history of enterprise, specialized in manufacturing all kinds of plastic machinery, plastic composite pipe full set of equipment, the company attaches great importance to product quality and after-sales service, the majority of customers have a good reputation.
    In the production of plastic machinery for many years on the basis of the introduction of international advanced level of production technology of the twenty-first century, the development of the production of aluminum-plastic composite pipe equipment, the device is technologically advanced, low cost, simple operation, easy maintenance, practical and reliable for China's national conditions of aluminum-plastic composite pipe production line equipment.
    Our aim: first-class quality, first-class service, provide users with comprehensive services, is willing to cooperate in good faith and the majority of users!

zhoutongsuji.com links to rayp.com

Domain Name:rayp.com
Record last updated at 2012-05-18 08:29:50
Record created on 6/1/2002
Record expired on 06/01/2013

Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.dns-diy.com ns2.dns-diy.com

Administrator:
Name-- Ruian Anyang Ranet Web Design Department
EMail-: (chenlt@rayp.com)
tel --: +86.57765828305
fax: +86.57765828307
org: Ruian Anyang Ranet Web Design Department
Room 401,Unit 3,Yongan Building,Wansong East Road,Ruian
Ruian,Zhejiang,CN 325200

Technical Contactor:
Name-- Ruian Anyang Ranet Web Design Department
EMail-: (chenlt@rayp.com)
tel --: +86.57765828305
fax: +86.57765828307
org: Ruian Anyang Ranet Web Design Department
Room 401,Unit 3,Yongan Building,Wansong East Road,Ruian
Ruian,Zhejiang,CN 325200

The following Whois shows the same Chen, possibly with two different names:

Domain name: ruianbaojie.com

Registrant Contact:
Chen caibin
caibin Chen chenlt@rayp.com
0577-66602789 fax: 0577-66602789
Room 401,Unit 3,Yongan Building,Wansong East Road,Anyang,Ruian,Zhejiang
ruian Zhejiang 325200
cn

Administrative Contact:
liangtan Chen chenlt@rayp.com
0577-65828305 fax: 0577-65828307
ruian Zhejiang 325200
cn

Technical Contact:
ruian Zhejiang 325200
cn

Billing Contact:
ruian Zhejiang 325200
cn

DNS:
ns5.cnmsn.net
ns6.cnmsn.net

Created: 2011-08-10
Expires: 2012-08-10

liangtan Chen  =  Chen liangtan  =  Chen Liang Tan  = chenlt

Since the last domain is about to expire, maybe its owner will consider selling it for a bag of Skittles and a hoodie.

~Bruno~
BitLucky

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:17:45 AM

I'm trying my best to calm down and attempt to get more information about the hacker, because he also used my email for a credit card fraud case.

How can you perform credit card fraud by stealing someone's email account?? How can you even obtain a credit card if you're < 18??
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: