Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:43:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What if US Dollar Crashes?  (Read 57058 times)
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 12:33:51 AM

I was thinking about this, what if the US Dollar crashes like speculated by many renowned economists around the world?
What will be it's affects on the beloved currency, BTC?

It is possible, but through what process is the question

Currency's value comes from demand, when economy goes bad, people desperately want more currency, that's why currency will never crash during a recession, they strengthen instead. FED printed 5x more USD without crashing its value, just because exploded demand for USD after financial crisis

So the only possibility that a currency will crash is during hyper inflation. That is also not possible, since banks are holding most of those newly added money supply, they watch inflation carefully and strictly restrict how much money flow into the economy to avoid inflation

Another possibility is that people find some other alternative (for example bitcoin), thus give up using USD. That's also not very likely to happen since most of the people's income is received in the form of USD, unless USD is in a state of hyperinflation, they will keep using USD

Currently we have a huge bond bubble, if those bond can not be paid back and default, it will crash the bond price, cause large loss for investors, but again, that will trigger a shortage of USD, gives bank more reason to create more USD

In a disasters scenario, people will always chase USD, which is the most liquid format of asset, so it is not likely it will crash in any foreseeable future

Good post but  hyperinflation on dollar is possible,if will be high inflation on dollar than will be crash not in dollar but in emerging currencys,that moment btc price will goes up

Dollar may lost his dominance in time,if we talk about fiat money crash, Euro is first on my list and i hope it will happen finally

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrsHash

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 09:59:04 AM

I was thinking about this, what if the US Dollar crashes like speculated by many renowned economists around the world?

I suppose the price of Bitcoin will drop significantly in this case
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 10:22:20 AM

If the US dollar crashes, bitcoin will most likely crash. This is because most of the bitcoin users are from the US, and with them gone, bitcoin will basically be much, much cheaper, as the americans try to sell their coins to get some sort of cash. Or maybe BTC will go up, they will try to convert their money into bitcoin, and cause a huge price spike.

If the USD devalued - assuming everything else was constant Bitcoin's price compared to USD would actually increase (weakened USD alongside possible increased demand for alternate currencies such as Bitcoin). But in all honestly, for the USD itself to crash would require a combination of extremely improbable events - the USD is a lot less susceptible to rapid movement compared to the stock exchange.
chiajw1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 12:40:14 PM

Actually, governments are fundamentally incapable of maintaining the value of their currencies. Everything is in debt even the ""mighty"" United States. The currency is competing with other fiat currencies like Euro and Yen and commodities like gold.

If the US dollar crashes, the whole currency fiat will be in anarchy. Every fiat currency is dependent with each other especially US dollar. If it collapses, the first thing is price of commodities like gold will rise sharply. But it will not probaoly lead to the collapse of society, maybe just a huge shift of political power and monetary policy.

In another view, foreign investor and country will stop demanding US dollar, US dollar bond falls, or another meaning that the interest rate will rise. Inflation rate will rise and leading it to another great recession. The government will print as much money to cover it up but the price of daily goods will rise, money in CDs, life savings, literary everything monetary will turn obsolete.

On the other hand, commodities like gold and cryptocurrencies especially BTCitcoin price will increase. These things are not tangible to any government or inflation rate. These things only change with supply and demand. If the US dollar falls and you had some bitcoins on hand, maybe you will become the next millionaire...

It is just my personal opinions.
chiajw1

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 12:44:27 PM

If the dollar will crash it will make a big impact on the whole world

A lot of currencies are depending on the dollar

The impact will be entirely positive.  NO currencies depend on the dollar.  How could a currency depend on the dollar??  That makes no sense at all.

Actually every currency is dependent with each other especially in exporting goods. Country like Japan actually borrows money to develop their country and so on..
saraadams

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:51:02 PM

There is no reason why USD would crash now and if it would crash in the future, it will bounce back eventually
Shinpako09
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 02:58:02 PM

In that case I don't know if bitcoin price will fall or rise. But if that's happen I guess EURO will step up since they are second most use currency next to dollar. .
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 03:40:03 PM

The impact will be entirely positive.  NO currencies depend on the dollar.  How could a currency depend on the dollar??  That makes no sense at all.

Country like Japan actually borrows money to develop their country and so on..

Is there some logic hidden here?  I don't see it.  Some guys in Japan hats borrow something (bitcoin, rice, dollars, yen, whatever you had in mind) and pay for construction or something.  How does this relate to the totally wrong statement that "The yen depends on the dollar"?  Maybe I need one or the other, they function entirely independently.  Burn one, you'll see: the other...  still exists! 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2015, 03:40:51 PM

There is no reason why USD would crash now and if it would crash in the future, it will bounce back eventually

Attack of the newbies!  We will win at Waterloo. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
rossoalb

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 14, 2015, 07:21:20 PM

Then there will be exchange a bitcoin  - gold   Grin Grin Grin
Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1358

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 07:17:31 PM

If it crashes I would mind a lot, I don't like to hold dollars at all.
It is not enough risky to make me nervous.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 07:29:14 PM

Country like Japan actually borrows money to develop their country and so on..

Is there some logic hidden here?  I don't see it.  Some guys in Japan hats borrow something (bitcoin, rice, dollars, yen, whatever you had in mind) and pay for construction or something.  How does this relate to the totally wrong statement that "The yen depends on the dollar"?  Maybe I need one or the other, they function entirely independently.  Burn one, you'll see: the other...  still exists! 

The Yen currency is pegged to the dollar.

Also the Yen has now officially become a reserve currency Smiley

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-11-15/imf-greenlights-addition-chinese-yuan-sdr-basket-wall-street-responds
StudyEconomics

Activity: 49

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 07:28:02 PM

USD is posed to continue its gain.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 07:40:28 PM

USD is posed to continue its gain.

What gains? gaining debt? Cheesy

www.usdebtclock.com

Because it's the only thing that's going up, debt. The value of dollar going up due scammy intervention by the state which is all artificial means absolutely nothing in the long term to correct the devastating trend.
LowlandGorilla.

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 09:36:07 PM

Every US dollar is owed to someone.
The USD itself is debt.
Xeelee

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 12:35:29 PM

If the Dollar crashes we have the change for a Bitcoin-Revolution. In addition I expect the precious metals will rise as well as Gold, Silber and Platinum. I also expect the other paper money currencies will collapse at one point in time. So Euro or Yen is not better.

NXT-Wallet: NXT-UBDL-3XU4-NQBZ-FT33G
LowlandGorilla.

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:37:49 PM

If the Dollar crashes we have the change for a Bitcoin-Revolution. In addition I expect the precious metals will rise as well as Gold, Silber and Platinum. I also expect the other paper money currencies will collapse at one point in time. So Euro or Yen is not better.

That is impossible because if the USD collapses, the ISPs will loose a lot of money, and that will cause them to shut down their services in the US. If the dollar collapse, triggers other currencies to collapse as well, that would cause huge internet blackouts.
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:00:15 PM

That is impossible because if the USD collapses, the ISPs will loose a lot of money, and that will cause them to shut down their services in the US. If the dollar collapse, triggers other currencies to collapse as well, that would cause huge internet blackouts.
What do the ISPs have to do with dollar collapsing? Bitcoin has way too many nodes up, a couple of hundred dropping away wont do much.
However if USD crashes all commodity's which are tied to USD that means absolutely everything will lose value, that includes bitcoin and gold.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
newcoins1978

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 10:15:33 PM

There would be chaos. sure it is a chance for Bitcoin, but how many companies, major companies use it as their trade currency..
Linuld

Activity: 473

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 02:07:15 AM

There would be chaos. sure it is a chance for Bitcoin, but how many companies, major companies use it as their trade currency..

I don't think all companies will rush to bitcoins for short term USD crashing because bitcoin is not so much established currency and no one can predict the price of bitcoin based on any fundamentals but the prices are moving up and down based on demand and supply. So USD crash may not impact much on btc prices.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: