Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:25:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] S.DICE - SatoshiDICE 100% Dividend-Paying Asset on MPEx  (Read 316145 times)
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:40:36 PM

No, for THIS month, we don't know if the expenses are contracted in USD terms or BTC. If for example BTC rise to $1000, then monthly profit will probably fall to 500 BTC or less range, how would you like half of shareholder profits are eaten up in "expense"? Being a S.Dice shareholder was not particularly rewarding recently, wouldn't you agree? your S.Dice share price is 50% of 2 month ago.

Some expenses are based on USD value. Others could be a fixed rate, or a percentage of profit (couldn't find any details on them, but then again I didn't look too hard). That's up to Erik to decide and fill us in on (not disagreeing with you on that).

And I know it hasn't been rewarding (at least long term), and as the price in BTC increased I figured that may be the case in the end. I sold near the peak and bought again when it was quite low...and then sold again recently. Profit-wise, I'm fine...and I'm thankful I didn't buy and hold (even though, in a financial sense, I'd very much like to).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:50:50 PM

You will never see a dollar sign in Erik's reports.
To avoid the risk of prosecution, he put a barrier between the BTC and the dollar.

+1 for non-voting share : take it or leave it.

Obviously a minimum of information is necessary, but it was provided last week by Erik +  a crystal clear monthly rapport
Be sure that wages are capped in dollard, in 2 directions.
But safety first no dollar sign in any rapport.

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:45:00 PM

IP Rights to SatoshiRoller   40.46   btc   (money paid to erik's shell company PER MONTH for creating a piece of shit desktop client that nearly nobody uses)

It's not clear whether it's per month or whether SDICE has now bought the IP of that desktop client outright.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:04:59 PM

hello erik I am the moderator of reddits /r/litecoin board. My traffic stats have been exploding this month so either litecoin is a really big fad or the market wants it to stick around. how difficult would it be to add litecoin support to satoshidice?

Litecoin offers no significant benefit over Bitcoin. I don't care to integrate it simply because lots of people are bidding it up. I believe that to be temporary.  I'm happy that there are cryptocurrency competitors, but LiteCoin doesn't excite me.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:08:07 PM

Erik,

There is a new cost charged for April: 'SatoshiRoller IP rights'

I was under the impression SD owned the IP rights themselves. How high will these IP costs be over time?

The IP cost mentioned in April's expenses was a one-time fee paid to the developer for all future rights to the IP of the apps. It is not a recurring cost.

I had previously paid for the apps to be built and used by SD, but not the rights (this enabled me to get an attractive price). I have plans for the apps, thus I wanted to close this loose end.
ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:15:55 PM

Erik,

I was under the impression SD owned the IP rights themselves. How high will these IP costs be over time?

The IP cost mentioned in April's expenses was a one-time fee paid to the developer for all future rights to the IP of the apps. It is not a recurring cost.

I had previously paid for the apps to be built and used by SD, but not the rights (this enabled me to get an attractive price). I have plans for the apps, thus I wanted to close this loose end.

When will you be adding some kind of user accounts on the website, and instant betting? If you don't, someone else will...
Namworld

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:23:33 PM

Erik,

When will you be adding some kind of user accounts on the website, and instant betting? If you don't, someone else will...

Someone already did
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:26:56 PM

For April:
Earnings   3813.93462751   btc
Hosting/Tech Expenses   12.2   btc
Head IT April Pro-Rated   52.945   btc
Systems operator   91.7   btc
Legal   25.51   btc
IP Rights to SatoshiRoller   40.46   btc   
Loss Carryover   0   btc
---------------------------------
Net Profit   3591.11962751

The expenses deserve explanation, my apologies.

Hosting/Tech
Self-explanatory. It runs about $500-$1500 monthly. There were recently some additional costs here as we changed hosts twice (once because the host was unhappy with the gambling aspect, the other because the host couldn't handle DDoS). Hosting is now done by more than one company.

Head IT April
This is the former head of IT. He is being replaced (for mutually agreeable reasons), though April/May will likely have overlapping costs as he continues consulting and monitoring the system. I'd rather pay two people simultaneously than be without proper skillsets in an emergency.

Systems operator
This is the new head of IT. Unlike the former one, he is full time SD. He's currently rebuilding much of the code, making it readable, documenting it, etc. He's also building a test server, and will then be building new features.

Legal
Self-explanatory. There will likely be ongoing legal costs for SD. I'm working with a lawyer near Seattle, one in Panama, and one in Toronto.

IP Rights to SatoshiRoller
Mentioned in my previous post. This was a one-time expense to own the rights to the desktop and android client IP outright.

As a heads up for next month, there will be a small cost for a PR/customer service person being brought on board as well as a one-time expense for sponsorship at the San Jose conference.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:48:44 PM

Doesn't SDICE already have a test server?
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:49:35 PM

Erik,

As soon as I can.
ThickAsThieves

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:55:07 PM

Erik,

As soon as I can.

But isn't that the allure of Satoshi dice and bitcoin, that you don't need an account?

It can be both ways. Let the users choose how they roll.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:07:50 AM

Correct, the account-based version will not be replacing the original. Both will exist.
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 04:32:23 AM

Litecoin offers no significant benefit over Bitcoin. I don't care to integrate it simply because lots of people are bidding it up. I believe that to be temporary.  I'm happy that there are cryptocurrency competitors, but LiteCoin doesn't excite me.

I am not sure that argument holds any logical weight. If there are 'lots of people' in the LTC space then that implies market opportunity. It seems you are referring with the temporary nature to the price by being bid up and not the coins themselves. Obviously, it would not make sense to integrate LTC if one thinks it is going to cease to exist tomorrow. With LTC difficulty rapidly rising the indications are that it will not. And if there are 'lots of people' in the LTC space and if the premise is that LTC will continue to exist then the conclusion to follow is whether the expected return on investment justifies the work.

Consequently, the relevant question is how much would it cost to integrate Litecoin or other crypto-chains in general?

Given most of the back-end work for implementation by SD is probably already done because LTC is so similar to BTC then if the integration and maintenance costs are minimal why not roll out additional product channels? Might as well offer as many options as possible for customers to provide earnings for SD shareholders. Especially if doing so would involve minimal costs.

Practically, any LTC, TRC, NMC, FTC, etc. earnings could either be used to cover costs or be converted to BTC at market rates at BTC-e, and soon MtGox for LTC, for dividends. Really seems like a pretty simple decision depending on what the cost of implementation and maintenance would be.

Would also be interesting to see MPEx support a multi-currency order-book (trading SD shares for LTC, NMC, etc.) and dividends (be able to pay dividends via LTC, NMC, etc.).

sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 04:36:20 AM

Disclosure: Just a joke, but we need more transparency and detail about these "expenses" and they seem to be pretty high. I own more than 30k shares in S.Dice

Actually, I think SD is being too transparent by listing out each individual line item. Disclosing this proprietary information gives significant advantages to competitors and potential competitors.

Consequently, just like most publicly traded companies do not disclose detailed transactions because it could harm their business so likewise I think SD should be disclosing less information so long as the material details are disclosed in accordance with the MPEx contract.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:28:36 AM

I am not sure that argument holds any logical weight.

No, it probably doesn't.  I suspect the real reason for not supporting Litecoin goes something like:

"I like Bitcoin.  Litecoin is a competitor of Bitcoin.  So I don't like Litecoin.  So I'm not going to support it."

I often see people saying "sure, Bitcoin is limited to 21 million units ever, but there's no limit to the number of Bitcoin clones; what makes Bitcoin so special?".  People dismiss this by saying that the clone won't gain traction, so we can ignore them.  Having Litecoin succeed kind of spoils that argument.  There can be only one!

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
sunnankar
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 07:23:15 AM

No, it probably doesn't.  I suspect the real reason for not supporting Litecoin goes something like:

"I like Bitcoin.  Litecoin is a competitor of Bitcoin.  So I don't like Litecoin.  So I'm not going to support it."

I seriously doubt that is the real reason as SD has been operated very professionally and honorably since its inception.

And it appears from the MPEx contract that it already planned to include other crypto-currencies.

"Profit and Loss Statements" means a statement that lists as a lump sum all Bitcoin income during one calendar month (including non-BTC revenue converted at then prevailing BTC rates) as well as a reasonably detailed break-down, then as a lump sum all expenditure during that same calendar month (including non-BTC expenditure converted at then prevailing BTC rates) as well as a reasonably detailed break-down, thus showing the net result of each calendar month.

So dooglus, drilling down on the implications if that is the real reason then there could be a conflict of interest with the SD shareholders resulting in the bias against LTC.

For example, if one holds a significant amount of BTC and 'doesn't like litecoin' because if LTC were significantly adopted then it could leech from or perhaps even exceed BTC's market cap. This would result in value stored in BTC being significantly eroded if not converted into LTC or some other asset. This may be one of the economic reasons LukeJR is so opposed to LTC. But based on the past performance of SD's management this does not appear, so far, to be legitimate concern.

The bottom line though is that whether LTC is significantly different as a crypto-currency from BTC is completely irrelevant to whether SD integrating LTC can generate value for SD shareholders. And SD management has a fiduciary duty to generate shareholder value regardless of their personal opinions.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:24:09 AM

hello erik I am the moderator of reddits /r/litecoin board. My traffic stats have been exploding this month so either litecoin is a really big fad or the market wants it to stick around. how difficult would it be to add litecoin support to satoshidice?

Exactly.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:00:38 AM

I am not sure that argument holds any logical weight.

I often see people saying "sure, Bitcoin is limited to 21 million units ever, but there's no limit to the number of Bitcoin clones; what makes Bitcoin so special?".  People dismiss this by saying that the clone won't gain traction, so we can ignore them.  Having Litecoin succeed kind of spoils that argument.  There can be only one!

definitely the reason. Btc early adopters want altcoin dead, especially those cheap clone gaining popularity. There's already a LTC Dice, another SD copycat. Bottom line is if SD don't grab the market, someone else will. Even Gox, can no longer ignore LTC. I can foresee SD share to the roof, by adding support to alt-currency, which could possibly be a lot less effort than making new games or what not.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:18:24 PM

Practically, any LTC, TRC, NMC, FTC, etc. earnings could either be used to cover costs or be converted to BTC at market rates at BTC-e, and soon MtGox for LTC, for dividends. Really seems like a pretty simple decision depending on what the cost of implementation and maintenance would be.

To me, Bitcoins are like paper bills and Litecoins are the cents. I'm more willing to gamble with Litecoins because I know they don't hold nearly the same value as Bitcoin.

That said, what would happen if Litecoin was added to SD? EV would have thousands of Litecoins [profit] by the end of the month...and although that sounds nice, it's not if he only wants Bitcoin in the end. Converting mass quantities of LTC or any of the smaller alt-coins could pose two problems: A) People could bid up the exchange rate when they suspect EV is trying to convert to BTC, which cuts in on the final profit obviously, or B) constantly converting thousands of coins at once to BTC would kill the alt-coins value.

Either way, it's a pain in the ass. It's much easier, and vastly more financially stable, to stick with one coin. Obviously if EV intended to hold and spend LTC as we do with BTC, then this may be different...but as far as I can tell most people use LTC as a means to convert to BTC.

ThickAsThieves

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:31:46 PM

Why can't someone else just make a litecoin dice game? Maybe one already exists?
Pages: « 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: