Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:34:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790353 times)
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 08:46:47 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2016, 09:07:15 PM by coins101

If Servicenodes were available, I'm sure a lot of people around here would set-up a fair few and donate most of their profits (after hosting costs).

You would probably see donations in the region of $3,000 to $7,000 / month, mainly because it would end up being a self funding mechanism where more development would equal higher price, would generate higher value donations, would generate more Bittrex activity.

Servicenodes would become the main patrons.

Patron Nodes, lol. I will definitely donate some of my profits from nodes. We are a ways off from that it would seem though.  Tongue

The code for Servicenodes was written a long time ago. Testing started in January 2015, here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=938222.msg10279541#msg10279541

An initial version can be launched with a little effort to get the patron funding rolling to get full time development going.

The long-term vision / goal for what Servicenodes will eventually become can then be changed at will.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 08:52:08 PM

There are hardly ever many sell walls up since miners usually just dump on the market, so even tiny amounts of BTC push the price way up. Fun to watch  Grin

I can put em up just out of altruistic desire to shut u up. So u wont complain that there were no walls up there next time.

georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 10:23:51 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2016, 10:37:54 PM by georgem

I would actually like to donate some USD if possible. I don't like the idea of gifting crypto because it complicates taxation records which, for crypto, is already enough of a clusterfuck in the USA. I do have some completely untracked coin I could donate (mined myself, unassociated wallets with any services etc) - but it's not SPR or BTC.

Do we have any other ways to donate? Any other currencies? Probably tough with USD since you'd have to de-anonymize yourself I think. If you're not opposed to that I'd subscribe to an actual Patreon account for a monthly donation, but I don't know if you want to go that route. Hrm. Can I send physical cash to a PO Box?  Grin Grin Grin

I'm coding right now, so don't have much time, but I couldn't oversee your comment.

For my video podcast (which I will host on vimeo, youtube, minds, etc..) I plan to actually create a patreon account.

https://www.patreon.com/

I have seen lots of interesting youtube people start a patreon account with fantastic success.

Here are a few examples of people I'm a big fan of, who basically earn their livelihood through patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3019121
https://www.patreon.com/sargon
https://www.patreon.com/rubinreport
https://www.patreon.com/davecullen

I was waiting for a good reason to start a patreon account, well here it is!

As far as I know with patreon you can pay any currency using all kinds of credit cards etc.. they will then convert it to USD automatically:
https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606275-Do-you-support-international-payments-Can-I-donate-in-any-currency-
(The only requirement is that you will have to create an account at patreon to be able to pledge money/support. But that's all.)

BTW I think a patreon account is also important if we want to address an audience bigger than the usual altcoin echo chamber.

Once I have setup my patreon account I will post the link here. Might take a few days.

I got stuff to do!
Change is coming!

AnotherNode

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

Nodes That Serve

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 10:40:58 PM

If Servicenodes were available, I'm sure a lot of people around here would set-up a fair few and donate most of their profits (after hosting costs).

You would probably see donations in the region of $3,000 to $7,000 / month, mainly because it would end up being a self funding mechanism where more development would equal higher price, would generate higher value donations, would generate more Bittrex activity.

Patron Nodes, lol. I will definitely donate some of my profits from nodes. We are a ways off from that it would seem though.  Tongue

The code for Servicenodes was written a long time ago. Testing started in January 2015, here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=938222.msg10279541#msg10279541

An initial version can be launched with a little effort to get the patron funding rolling to get full time development going.

The long-term vision / goal for what Servicenodes will eventually become can then be changed at will.

Why not try this and the Patreon approach?

Some people might do both. Some might go for one or the other. Give people options.

I really can't see a downside.
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 11:50:49 PM

I didn't literally mean a fundraiser. I meant more like, sell off some SPR to get a higher trade volume on bittrex, then donate the bitcoin to the dev, then buy spreadcoin.com with it.

If you want to buy spreadcoin.com feel free to do so, you can then own it yourself in the name of the community.
Let's decentralize ownership of domains, I certainly don't need to own all of them.

BTW, I saw you did a small commit on spreadcoin github?
Care to elaborate?  Smiley

pokeytex
Legendary

Activity: 1504
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:59:34 AM

BTW @just2laff, rhinomonkey, pokeytex and sugarfly

Please tell me your favorite altcoins (next to SPR and BTC ofcourse) that you want to see listed in the spreadwallet rightaway.

Dissecting an altcoin (it's specifics, network messages, behaviour etc) as part of "altcoin taxonomy" takes up some time, and is an ongoing process, and I don't want to waste it on altcoins that none of my patrons find useful right now!

Currently I am hard-coding "altcoin-genetics" like this:

edit...

@Georgem - thank you for that offer.  The main coins I am in right now besides Spreadcoin are DMD (Diamond), XVC (Vcash), and PIO (Pioneershares).  Thank you for your consideration.

Abou Talha

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 01:18:16 AM

Quatloo and Decred.
Nikolaj

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 01:18:37 AM

I can't guarantee it, but I'm going to put some extra hours in today/tonight to have yet another video ready by tomorrow. I hope.

I fucking love this community.  Grin

You guys deserve it!

With all the patron saints in my life now... work is fun!!!!

I'll support this coin with my company, I like your attitude mate.

Have a good day
rhinomonkey

Activity: 646
Merit: 501

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 01:45:02 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 02:08:28 AM by rhinomonkey

I would actually like to donate some USD if possible. I don't like the idea of gifting crypto because it complicates taxation records which, for crypto, is already enough of a clusterfuck in the USA. I do have some completely untracked coin I could donate (mined myself, unassociated wallets with any services etc) - but it's not SPR or BTC.

Do we have any other ways to donate? Any other currencies? Probably tough with USD since you'd have to de-anonymize yourself I think. If you're not opposed to that I'd subscribe to an actual Patreon account for a monthly donation, but I don't know if you want to go that route. Hrm. Can I send physical cash to a PO Box?  Grin Grin Grin

I'm coding right now, so don't have much time, but I couldn't oversee your comment.

For my video podcast (which I will host on vimeo, youtube, minds, etc..) I plan to actually create a patreon account.

https://www.patreon.com/

BTW I think a patreon account is also important if we want to address an audience bigger than the usual altcoin echo chamber.

Once I have setup my patreon account I will post the link here. Might take a few days.

I got stuff to do!
Change is coming!

I'm very excited to see this.

I think an area in which the project needed the most improvement was in communication &  transparency with the community. This caused problems in the past with certain members and I think Patreon is a really nice step in the right direction. The Patreon account will even reduce barriers to support you as in cinogrin's situation.

I expect this should begin to rebuild the momentum that we had back in the beginning of the year. You benefit from our support and we benefit from the things that you will be showing us. Now you are really 'working' for the members of the Spreadcoin community and I sincerely hope we can turn this into your full time 'job'.  Cheesy

sitonmythrone

Activity: 180

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 02:24:59 AM

coin look shyt. Where dev be? seem not genius...

no whale come here! .;..  Angry Angry

dead coin.. come at crown...  money and node there

check in sig for campaing will pay crw per post from devs at crown

Send SPR Dev Jail NOW
entropycoin

Activity: 171

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 05:35:18 AM

Agreed. Why not just use mr. Spreads original implementation, tie it to cpu mining or running a full spr node as a placeholder. Price will increase,network strengthened.  and it will allow a greater window for what georgem is trying to accomplish. I'll certainly donate a fair amount of service node proceeds to development.

DRK: Xi2c97ZMtfU2nMeJkY1kD1Ry3tmRnnQfHP
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 06:43:08 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 03:19:53 PM by rhinomonkey

Agreed. Why not just use mr. Spreads original implementation, tie it to cpu mining or running a full spr node as a placeholder. Price will increase,network strengthened.  and it will allow a greater window for what georgem is trying to accomplish. I'll certainly donate a fair amount of service node proceeds to development.

I agree with the sentiment of moving things forward in this way, and I would not be upset if this was one of the next steps if it was done correctly... The problem is as has been discussed "taxing" the miners.

The pros of getting service nodes up and running are many. Funding for Georgem, strengthening the network, and attracting new investors. I think it would be a huge step forward for the project.

The cons as Georgem, and anyone else who hold the principles of decentralization to be true is that in proceeding in that manner is seemingly counter to their ideals.

This leads me to believe that if you are attempting to make a convincing argument for why Georgem should proceed by implementing service nodes in that manner, the crux of your argument cannot be why it might be "good" for the network, or funding, or building the community... but must instead be reasons for why the principles are worth being violated because it leads to better implementation of the ideals in the future or that they are just not being violated at all. Perhaps there are more that I am not thinking of.

1) Why perhaps the ends will justify the means (in terms of decentralization).

This argument would be something as follows: By "sacrificing" decentralization now you are paving the way to more decentralization in the future. In implementing Service Nodes, the coin will have a dev fund / larger pool of donors, will attract more people, and perhaps get some more devs on the team. This will ultimately lead to more decentralization sooner and thus the slight shift away from the ideals was actually a larger shift towards strengthening them.

2) Why it is not in fact a shift away from the ideals of decentralization.

This is harder to argue in my opinion. I am not sure how I would go about persuading someone of this. The big issue seems to be the 'tax' on the miners. In other words, it an involuntary payment that is forced to be made.

I guess for this I would say that the level of offense of the principles of decentralization is relative. Say for instance, Georgem decides that he wants to hard code (levy) a 50% fee on the miners unilaterally... this would, be more centralized than say, taking a vote.

The next point I would make is in regards to the system that Georgem plans to implement - the miner voting system.

In the case that you don't know about this - essentially miners will vote on a percentage for the entire mining network to pay to Service Nodes. So if there are two people mining on the network with equal hash power and one votes 100% and the other 0% then they both have to pay 50%... until on of them receives more blocks than the other in which case the vote will tilt in one direction.

So in this system, one could say that there is the possibility of some centralization... in the case that there are miners with a whole lot of hash power. However, it is still more decentralized than Georgem unilaterally deciding to hard code a 50% 'fee' on miners.

Anyway, if that system is acceptable (and is not 'perfectly' decentralized (perfectly decentralized seems an impossible ideal) , then logically if we implemented the already coded Service Nodes in a similar manner, it would not be in violation of any principles.

How would we implement them in a similar way? Well, I guess I will throw out an idea, please feel free to post your own I think it might be a good discussion to have...

But my idea would be that we can have miners vote in the forum... sort of as they would in the coded version. The difference being that the miners could vote Y or N to a set of proposals. i.e "Should we implement Service Nodes with X% rewards"

If some majority (or all) miners vote yes for it, then how is that any different from the future plans for Service Nodes? If it is 'different' then to what degree is it really that different? At what degree of difference is it not worth continuing with?

Problems I see with my idea that there may or may not be solutions to:

Ensuring all voters are actually miners.

Ensuring all miners vote.

Maybe there are more.

Anyways, just my thoughts on the matter. There may be holes in my logic... but I hope not, lol.

Essentially, if A (Georgem's plan for Service Nodes is decentralized) and B (my idea or some variation) is == A then B is decentralized.

I suspect that the rest of this discussion will revolve around whether A == B or not (and if not, to what degree).

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 09:25:01 AM

The code for Servicenodes was written a long time ago.

Just to inject a note of reality ...

It was so long ago that the codebase has effectively been obsoleted by the subsequent extensive development of the Bitcoin cloneparent from the SPR 0.8.7 origin up through Bitcoin Core versions 9, 10, 11, 12 and now 13. The current SPR codebase could be upgraded to Bitcoin Core 0.9 by soft fork. An upgrade to a later version of Core (0.10 - 0.13.1) would create compatibility issues for georgem's (0.8.x-based) implementation. The post-0.9 structural changes made to the basic bitcoin protocol demand a hard fork, old clients would be instantly obsoleted.

The harsh reality is that an SPR servicenode revival based on the 0.8.x codebase would compare unfavourably against those alts that have chosen to remain more closely coupled to the developing Bitcoin Core, e.g. http://syscoin.org/syscoin-2-1-release-date-feature-list/ and http://www.blockchainfoundry.co/press-releases (to give people some idea of the amount of ground that SPR has ceded)

Cheers

Graham
rhinomonkey

Ni dieu ni maître

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 12:54:41 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 05:15:33 PM by rhinomonkey

The harsh reality is that an SPR servicenode revival based on the 0.8.x codebase would compare unfavourably against those alts that have chosen to remain more closely coupled to the developing Bitcoin Core, e.g. http://syscoin.org/syscoin-2-1-release-date-feature-list/ and http://www.blockchainfoundry.co/press-releases (to give people some idea of the amount of ground that SPR has ceded)

Cheers

Graham

Is syscoin in direct competition with SPR in terms of project goals (and has lost ground in total development), or were you just exemplifying the point that other coins have remained more closely in touch with Bitcoin's codebase?

Also, if I may ask, why have you returned to the Spreadcoin forum? As I recall you were gone for a while, though I also remember seeing you had never invested. I enjoy reading your posts because you have clarity of thought and your word choice, often times, is impeccable.

EDIT:

Lol, this is hilarious. What a unique idea. 

https://minkiz.co/hodlerscope

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 05:31:11 PM

Cheers

Graham

Is syscoin in direct competition with SPR in terms of project goals (and has lost ground in total development), or were you just exemplifying the point that other coins have remained more closely in touch with Bitcoin's codebase?

Also, if I may ask, why have you returned to the Spreadcoin forum? As I recall you were gone for a while, though I also remember seeing you had never invested.

Yes, broadly that's my point. But Syscoin2 wasn't the best choice because when I (subsequently, sorry) checked its architecture, it doesn't use an overlay scheme. I guess the now-defunct [bitc|uniq]redit effort would have been a better choice, pace barwizi's involvement. I have to admit to being out of touch with the main PnD altcoin scene since mid-April, so I'm left scrabbling for examples. But there are other examples of alts changing tack to snuggle up close to Bitcoin Core (Dogecoin being one), I suspect sometimes just to take advantage of the substantially improved modularity and its enormously beneficial effect on reducing the cost of maintenance.

I never invest fiat directly in altcoins, only indirectly by leveraging technical resources (frankly, I can get better odds from Paddy Power on the 2:30 at Chepstow). Occasionally I'll make a “drive-by” contribution when I feel like it (c.f. Slimcoin) and I've also been known to lend a hand ironing out some teething problems with a coin and that's how I became engaged with Spreadcoin soon after its launch and acquired SPR merely as a side-effect of investing some CPU power to help stabilise the network. I hung around for a bit during the hiatus in the Spreadcoin community after Mr Spread did his vanishing act, made a few observations, etc. until it became clear which direction Spreadcoin was heading, then I wandered off to do some more fossicking. As a grizzled R&D engineer I knew I was still lacking that key insight that clears away the mists and allows me to make strong, supportable statements and, as I have learned to expect, more time had to elapse before a clear picture eventually emerged -- in this instance, the mists cleared in the spring of this year.

It's not possible to summarise the insight both concisely and satisfactorily. It's a complex cross-disciplinary understanding (my strong point) and was the result of a long journey through some challenging terrain - a journey which is not yet complete. For me personally, the magnitude of the difference such insights bring is akin to the difference in perspective from the foot of hill and the top. All I have done, in a manner of speaking, is join up the dots differently to make a different picture but the result is sufficiently clear and robust to provide empirically-supportable explanations for all of the otherwise-puzzling phenomena I encounter in the altcoin domain. I was immediately able to understand that my watching brief on the altcoin domain and my curation work on DOACC had both served their sole purpose (to educate me) and so I terminated both efforts. This, coupled with some ${HOME} issues, prompted me to take a six-month absence from bitcointalk to pursue a more focused research agenda, test my new understanding and to try to clarify it further by pursuing the translation of the logical implications into altcoin features, using the dialectic of development to deepen my understanding.

This is one set of the dots, posted to the Slimcoin thread (another alt for which I did a “drive-by” contribution) :
Feel free to make a request: https://forum.bitsquare.io/t/how-to-add-your-favorite-altcoin

Slimcoin sounds like a really cool project, would love to see it gaining more traction!
They need a person associated with the official coin. Is someone still around?
The requesting person needs to be associated with the official coin (use an email address indicating that you are from the team)

Hmm.

At base, an altcoin is a value transfer system implemented in the form of a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency. The cryptography securing the implementation imposes some inherent constraints on the peers:

1. The protocol cannot treat peers as anything other than homogeneous
2. The protocol requires that peers can only be distinguished via serialized cryptographic hashes.

Corollaries:

a. The protocol-enforced egality of untrusted peering nodes is inherently inimical to the imposition of a hierarchy.
b. The modelling of peering nodes as serialized cryptographic hashes inherently prohibits any reference to identity.
c. Malfeasance by unidentifiable pseudonymous participants is inherently immune to both financial and social sanction.

So, “official” this and “official” that are meaningless in the context of a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency because no-one has the authority to stamp anything “official”.

Or rather, anyone and everyone has the opportunity to stamp anything they want as “official” or make a claim to be “the official dev” but it carries no inherent authority, only that which it can engender by it own efforts.

When it comes to p2p apps, the bottom line is that as soon as the source code is publicly released, no-one is ”in charge” of anything.

Cheers

Graham

I doubt that any subscriber to this thread would find my assertions controversial. I'm not saying anything new, I'm just joining up the dots.

Don't mistake “obvious” for “shallow”, these principles run deep, they are a genetic inheritance if you like and they are absolutely crucial in that the value transfer system collapses totally if they are subverted. The corollaries are defining features of all altcoin “communities”.

Some more dots to join (and yet others to follow at home) ...

Altcoins rely on two different types of consensus. The first type is the cryptographic consensus that must be created in order for the currency to function at all; the second type is the social consensus that is created by people choosing to hold the coin and/or run nodes. It is the social consensus that gives the cryptographic consensus its semantics, its meaning. The only thing that the machine can reliably “know” is whether the sequence of n bytes beginning at this memory location is an identical match to another sequence of n bytes beginning at that memory location. The rest, as they say, is left to the reader’s imagination.

The social consensus is equally important as the cryptographic one. In addition to grounding the semantics of the tokens secured by the blockchain, it's the wellspring of the vaunted “network effect” --- which is really just a weak way of saying “backed by people”. In the context of an altcoin, the only  available option is direction-by-social-consensus because the inherited cryptography protocols are inimical to the imposition of control by a central authority.

Unlike traditional currencies such as dollars, bitcoins are issued and managed without any central authority whatsoever: there is no government, company, or bank in charge of Bitcoin.
 - http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

The fact that there is no-one in charge is significant to US financial regulators. A couple of years ago FinCEN made it unambiguously clear ...

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.

So, “official” this and “official” that are meaningless in the context of a cryptocurrency because no-one has the authority to stamp anything “official”. Or rather, anyone and everyone has the opportunity to stamp anything they want as “official” or make a claim to be “the official dev” but it carries no inherent authority, only that which it can engender by it own efforts. When it comes to p2p apps, the bottom line is that as soon as the source code is publicly released, no-one is ”in charge” of anything.

(The witticism “herding cats” doesn’t even come in to it; people are completely free to do as they like: run a node, not run a node; hold coins, don't hold coins; set up a foundation, a faucet, a business, promote the coin, fud the coin, set up webwallets, offer an alternative wallet design, provide off-chain features, pay to spam the blockchain, pay to clean up the blockchain, generously contribute to a faucet, mischevously drain a faucet dry.)

An altcoin “community” is an egalitarian group of pseudonymous strangers --- these are the ground conditions to which any altcoin community is obliged to accommodate itself when conducting its affairs.

The requirement for egality means that the only viable activity model is self-organisation. The requirement for pseudonymity means that the only sustainable relationship model is self-interested co-operation.

This is a very demanding combination with very few candidate organisational models from which to draw inspiration for effective ways of working under these constraints.

But there are a couple of candidates ...

i) Anarcho-collectivism

Collectivist anarchism advocates the abolition of both the state and private ownership of the means of production. It instead envisions the means of production being owned collectively and controlled and managed by the producers themselves. For the collectivization of the means of production, it was originally envisaged that workers will revolt and forcibly collectivize the means of production. Once collectivization takes place, money would be abolished to be replaced with labour notes and workers' salaries would be determined in democratic organizations based on job difficulty and the amount of time they contributed to production. These salaries would be used to purchase goods in a communal market.

There has been a revolution ... but in personal computing. There’s more than a hint of the means of production being owned collectively and controlled and managed by the producers themselves, especially when it comes to cryptocurrency. There's also more than a hint from FinCENT (above) ... “(2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.”

Irrespective of how we got here, we’ve arrived at something very much like anarcho-collectivism. The ambitions detailed above bear a remarkable resemblance to the notions of “smart contracts” and some altcoins’ plans to cast the blockchain as employer, making payment in altcoin. A form of anarchism is inherent in any peer-to-peer network by definition - given that whilst there are some laws in this anarchy, they are the incorruptible mathematical laws of cryptography and are as pertinent to an anarchy as the law of gravity.

So welcome to anarcho-collectivism, I hope it works for you. No leaders, no bosses and an incorruptibly level playing field for all - what’s not to like about a crypto-anarchic collective?

(Well, for a start: it's primarily just a label and as such doesn't really provide much practical advice on how a community of peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency holders might sensibly conduct itself. So ...)

ii) Teal

A community of altcoin users naturally forms a Teal organisation because it is basically constrained to do so by the inherent characteristics of the protocols of the peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency from which the social consensus emerges. For an altcoin community to act as a Teal organisation isn't a matter of informed individual or collective choice, it's a matter of the “organo-crypto genetic inheritance” creating an inability to behave otherwise.

“Teal” is a modernistic organisational model developed by Frédéric Laloux, based on principles of modern systems thinking and laid out in his book Reinventing Organizations. The aim is to create better organisations that can grow and adapt to work in complex environments and mount an effective response to change.

Drawing from Ken Wilber’s Integral Theory (a model of psychology development that describes human development as following a set course of stages of development) Laloux maps a colour scheme to the historical development of human organizations: Red \> Amber \> Orange \> Green \> Teal \> Turquoise. Teal organisations are represented as the best integration of what’s collectively been learned so far.

It's worth noting Laloux' methodology at this point - whilst Teal as a notion was developed from Wilber's initial sketch, Laloux is also a field worker and his characterisation of the details of the Teal model is very usefully informed by organisational practices observed in the field.

The key breakthroughs, things that distinguish Teal (from Green) are:

* self-management: operate effectively, even at a large scale, with a system based on peer relationships, without the need for either hierarchy or consensus.

* wholeness  - practices that invite us to reclaim our inner wholeness and bring all of who we are to work, instead of with a narrow  “professional” self / “masculine resolve” etc.

* evolutionary purpose organizations seen as having a life and a sense of direction of their own. Instead of trying to predict and control the future, members of the organization are invited to listen in and understand what the organization wants to become, what purpose it wants to serve.

In terms of joining up the dots ... these “key breakthroughs” also accurately characterise an altcoin community in terms of unavoidable outcomes:

* no hierarchy === self-management
* no hierarchically-imposed roles === wholeness
* no hierarchical control === evolutionary purpose.

A holistic and evolutionary approach follows naturally from genuine self-management, i.e. when authority is devolved to the individual. In the absence of centrally-imposed roles, behaving as a whole person is the default and in the absence of centrally-imposed goals, the organisation is free to evolve itself.

I invite you to take a (relatively) brisk canter through the rest of the listed characteristics of a Teal organisation. There's a fairly accessible slideset summary (PDF)  from Ulrich Gerndt of changefactory Gmbh (it's Ulrich's graphic I re-used above). You can pick up the story on slide #21 and take it from there. As far as I can make out, it's a near-perfect match - if the characteristic appears nonsensical in an altcoin context that's because it's irrelevant in a fully decentralised context, e.g. “formal multi-step conflict resolution process” and “self-decorated warm spaces without status markers”.

In passing, I'll make two observations that I consider pertinent to Spreadcoin:

1. The list of Teal characteristics is also a blueprint for any altcoin community that wishes to follow it.
2. Teal's “evolutionary purpose” breakthrough offers quite a different explanation of progress in the Bitcoin community. It too is pure Teal (albeit somewhat distorted/dysfunctional), so what's happening there can be seen as an anticipated natural evolution of purpose. Expect the same in Spreadcoin.

There are more dots but they aren't pertinent to Spreadcoin.

I enjoy reading your posts because you have clarity of thought and your word choice, often times, is impeccable.

Thank you. But now see what you did Smiley

Cheers

Graham
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 07:06:26 PM

I was going to participate in Ludum Dare this weekend but instead my goal is to read over the development history of ServiceNodes, launch my own SPR fork on a closed test net, and begin trying to grok the current code/state of ServiceNodes. Hopefully I can learn enough to help push it forward in the future. Fucking hell I think I might be motivated or inspired or something.

Props to you!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.  

There is an SPV served by a dedicated full Bitcoin node, with encryption, run by Servicenodes whitepaper that might have your name on it  Wink

[A managed hosting service for those that want the security from their own full bitcoin node but either don't know how to run a full node on a VPS or can't be bothered and would rather outsource it]

By the way - Litecoin do a pretty decent crypto training course. They hope some will stick around and work on Litecoin.
njs811

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 03:53:32 AM

I didn't literally mean a fundraiser. I meant more like, sell off some SPR to get a higher trade volume on bittrex, then donate the bitcoin to the dev, then buy spreadcoin.com with it.

If you want to buy spreadcoin.com feel free to do so, you can then own it yourself in the name of the community.
Let's decentralize ownership of domains, I certainly don't need to own all of them.

BTW, I saw you did a small commit on spreadcoin github?
Care to elaborate?  Smiley

Yes, I was trying to compile an SPR node on a new Ubuntu server.  It looks like boost c++ libraries have been updated significantly, meaning that I had a constant error when trying to compile from source.  The commit was simply a fix to call for the current boost library. Everything appears to compile appropriately now and I have it running 24/7 on my VPS. If anyone does have an issue with this new commit please let me know.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 09:05:11 AM
Last edit: December 10, 2016, 09:34:32 AM by coins101

Also rather curious what you're referring to with Litecoin, did some googling and found some aggregate resources for various topics - were you referring to some specific resource?

I think the Litecoin training is more hands on, not just training materials. I don't much about the training done, other than I caught this reddit post a few months back:

https://www.reddit.com/r/litecoin/comments/56kkk4/development_update_oct_8_2016/

I seem to remember Evan @ Dash was pretty new to crypto when he launched Darkcoin, within 12 months and lots of ideas from community members on features and that all changed - and now look where that project is, $60m Roll Eyes

This book is really good for learning about the bitcoin code https://github.com/bitcoinbook/bitcoinbook

and

http://www.michaelnielsen.org/ddi/how-the-bitcoin-protocol-actually-works/

and

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page
Nikolaj

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 10:28:36 AM

What's the marketing plan? Is there any?

Have you got a link for the roadmap?

This could be easily a 10k, steady, coin, if not 15 with the proper tech support and comunity.

Keep on, it's lifting Wink

ps: and frankly speaking everything under 5k it's a bargain
georgem (OP)
Legendary

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2016, 01:15:18 PM

The project is still evolving. But here is how I would answer your questions:

What's the marketing plan? Is there any?

As a decentralized community everybody is free to create his or her own PR/Marketing.
That's how Bitcoin does it, right? And that's how we will succeed.

I as the main dev am working on a regular podcast. (showing my dev work, explaining decentralization, other fun stuff)
Others are invited to create their own video/graphix/buzz with the material they will receive (programs, graphics, etc..) or create themselves.

Have you got a link for the roadmap?

It's still evolving, here is a previous roadmap, that is still mostly valid:
(meaning we are still well within its defined parameters of "altcoin taxonomy", "servicenodes", "decentralized blockexplorer and exchange")

http://spreadcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735.0

Before this month is over I want to clear up a few things, and put all the cards on the table regarding:

1) Showing how patronage with spreadwallet development works in action.
2) I will make an announcement describing the spreadminer, similar to the announcement I did for spreadwallet a few months ago.
3) I will make an announcement describing servicenodes research (the more specific overlay and P2P network studies I'm doing)
4) I will hopefully have a true podcast ready (not just silent videos)
5) I will update forum/website and this thread, to account for new stuff.

Stay tuned!

Pages: « 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: