Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:00:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we limit the number of active loans per user?
No. As long as he is paying.
Yes, max 1 active loan per user.
Yes, max 2 active loans per user.
Yes, max 3 active loans per user.
Yes, max 5 active loans per user.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BTCJam - Peer to Peer Bitcoin Lending  (Read 204911 times)
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:57:44 AM

Question about the BTC deposit addresses: it says they're only valid for 24h. What happens if a user sends BTC to a deposit address that has expired? Because one current late payer is claiming that's what they did and why they're late. And that sounds like BS to me. Surely you keep the private keys to expired addresses?

This is only to prevent people from storing the address, all private keys are stored.

In that case I should let you know about this listing, and subsequent communications, from 'Kidcamico':
https://btcjam.com/listings/2198

He claims that he funded an expired address. I have explained to him that, if this is the case, you can send him the coins back (or better still, send them on to his creditors, like ME). Even if you do not wish to disclose publicly whether or not the transfer happened as he says, and/or whether he's communicated with you, I feel you should at least be aware of this situation.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Smoovious

Activity: 504

Scattering my bits around the net since 1980

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:18:55 PM

This is only to prevent people from storing the address, all private keys are stored.
And what's wrong with storing the address?

That's what the Address Book is for.

-- Smoov
prof7bit

Activity: 938

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:06:06 AM

Not only are there 50% scammers on that platform, BTCJam *itself* is stealing money! Even if the other 50% of honest borrowers are paying back the loans BTCJam will silently steal up to 60% of the repaid amount! I suggest renaming it to BTCScam! Look at this screenshot:

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:24:55 AM

Thoses were all just USD denominated loans.  You should only make USD denominated loans if you are short BTC (believe BTC is going to go down in price relative to USD).

If you make USD denominated loans and the price of BTC is rising you will get back less BTC than you loan out.

That is just a fact.

No scam.

Just someone (you) that failed to understand the contract.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
prof7bit

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:33:14 AM

Thoses were all just USD denominated loans.

No, these were BTC nominated. Look up these user names and see for yourself, everything BTC nominated. I havent seen any USD loans at all at BTCJam.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:35:38 AM

Thoses were all just USD denominated loans.

No, these were BTC nominated. Look up these user names and see for yourself, everything BTC nominated. I havent seen any USD loans at all at BTCJam.
You need to look harder, from your first example loan:

Amount @ Rate
฿5.00000 @ 15.0%
 MtGoxUSD

That little "chain link MtGoxUSD" on a loan means "tied to MtGoxUSD rate" = USD denominated loan.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
prof7bit

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:38:10 AM

Amount @ Rate
฿5.00000 @ 15.0%
 MtGoxUSD
And if you look even harder then you will see that in the second column the payment is denominated in BTC in this listing and not in USD.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:39:57 AM

Amount @ Rate
฿5.00000 @ 15.0%
 MtGoxUSD
And if you look even harder then you will see that the payment is denominated in BTC in this listing and not in USD.
If a loan has the "tied to MtGoxUSD" symbol then you will be paid in BTC but the loan is USD denominated.  End of story.  Stop beating your head against the wall.  I am not the wall.  I am just telling you something you did not know before.

MOUSE OVER THE "chained to MtGoxUSD" symbol on one of the loans and read the tooltip very carefully!

I never make these kinds of loans because I am long BTC so thet are stupid.

prof7bit

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 10:54:51 AM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 11:14:42 AM by prof7bit

If a loan has the "tied to MtGoxUSD" symbol then

So if there appears some strange random gif image somewhere on the website in the listing then the entire listing along with the written *NUMBERS* of the payback amount and its boldly visible and totally unambiguous *BTC DENOMINATION* suddenly become totally meaningless? The boldly written and legally bindig promise: "payback: xyz BTC" becomes meaningless by some random gif image on the website but it still remains boldly written ther in the listing: "Payment xyz BTC" instead of being replaced by "Payment: unknown amount in USD, converted into BTC at unknown rate"?´Thats what I call scam..

If this website operates in any sane jurisdiction and the amount would be high enough to make it reasonable to sue them then such a scam would not stand any chance in a court of law. One cannot boldly promise: "Paymant will be x BTC" (clearly having fixed amount and fixed currency) and then silently invalidate this by some hidden alt tag in some small gif image that explains that what is boldly written above is only meant as a joke and not to be taken serious and in reality it will of course be paid not in BTC but in Zimbabwe-Dollars or US-Dollars. Such kind of obvious scam would not stand the slightest chance in any court in any jurisdiction I am aware of.

Anyways, I'm out of here. Its clearly a scam and you are defending it, fortunately the amount I lost is small for me.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 11:32:47 AM

I am not defending it.  I have stated many many times that I believe USD denominated loans are a very bad idea for the lenders (good idea for the borrowers though).

BTW I am also out of here.  Not because I didn't understand the MtGoxUSD gif but because even good and very good loans go bad and then there is nothing I can do to even try to collect them or propose a settlement with the borrower.

When I do loans myself (as I have been doing for years) if the borrower gets into trouble we can talk, modify terms etc.

Here they still do nothing to even try to collect the debt.

I hope that in the future they do implement some collections system and that I may get back some part of the large amount of BTC I lost in this experiment.

Good luck guys.

Small nit but why do you keep that last little 0.0045 BTC?  I tried and I cannot totally clear out my account here.  I find this kind of insulting that after all my losses I cannot get all my remaining BTC back from you.

Tulkas (OP)

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Founder, BTCJAM

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 02:00:04 PM

I am not defending it.  I have stated many many times that I believe USD denominated loans are a very bad idea for the lenders (good idea for the borrowers though).

BTW I am also out of here.  Not because I didn't understand the MtGoxUSD gif but because even good and very good loans go bad and then there is nothing I can do to even try to collect them or propose a settlement with the borrower.

When I do loans myself (as I have been doing for years) if the borrower gets into trouble we can talk, modify terms etc.

Here they still do nothing to even try to collect the debt.

I hope that in the future they do implement some collections system and that I may get back some part of the large amount of BTC I lost in this experiment.

Good luck guys.

Small nit but why do you keep that last little 0.0045 BTC?  I tried and I cannot totally clear out my account here.  I find this kind of insulting that after all my losses I cannot get all my remaining BTC back from you.

BurtW, we have implemented some of that missing features you mentioned:

1) Motions: borrowers can create a motion to change the loan terms, they are submitted to be voted by investors. boonies4u was the first borrower to use it.
2) We have implemented an arbitration system and the identities of the defaulters will be disclosed to lenders if the award is granted, the listing activation agreement is updated and all the loans made after march are subject to it.

We have placed a FAQ online, it will soon cover that new features, i will also announce it here.

I'm sorry for your bad experience in the past, but I believe the system has improved a lot recently.

BTCJAM - Peer to Peer Bitcoin Lending
https://btcjam.com
sal002

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 02:35:50 PM

2) We have implemented an arbitration system and the identities of the defaulters will be disclosed to lenders if the award is granted, the listing activation agreement is updated and all the loans made after march are subject to it.

Can arbitration be used even if no default to clarify terms of the loan?  I assume it is no longer thru judge.me (as I never got a response on the arbitration I opened), correct?
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 02:56:57 PM

Is there something Im missing?
I deposited only 1BTC
Ive done enough lending and my stats say Received: 1.6xxx BTC
But my balance is only 1.03xx BTC

EVEN if I added up my pending + late .. it comes nowhere close to this magical 1.6xxx Im supposed to have...

So, my question is WHERE is my missing BTC?
Ive taken no BTC out of btcjam

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Tulkas (OP)

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Founder, BTCJAM

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 03:34:31 PM

I deposited only 1BTC

EVEN if I added up my pending + late .. it comes nowhere close to this magical 1.6xxx Im supposed to have...

I will check your account and get back to you.

BTCJAM - Peer to Peer Bitcoin Lending
https://btcjam.com
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:04:38 PM

I deposited only 1BTC

How can you check if u dont know my username on btcjam? lol....

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 08:50:11 PM

I deposited only 1BTC

Did you connect your bitcointalk username to BTCJam?

1) Motions: borrowers can create a motion to change the loan terms, they are submitted to be voted by investors. boonies4u was the first borrower to use it.

+confirm
filharvey

Activity: 866
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:25:03 PM

Not sure why I'm paying off this months loan installment which is due, considering out of all the loans I have made, only 3 out of 17 payments have been made.

Maybe I should be like everyone else and not care about paying things off when the currency moves against me.

Phil

▄█▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▄▄
           ▄█▀ ▄▄█▀▀   ▀█▄▄▀▀█▄▄
          ▀▀  ▀▀          ▀▀█▄█▀
    ▄▄▀  ▄█▀▀                    ▄   ▄▄
  ▄█▀▄▄█▀           ▄▄           ▀▀█▄ ▀█
 ▄▀ █▀     ▄▄██▄▄   ██   ▄▄██▄▄      █▄ █
 █ ▀█   ▄▄█▀▀   ▀██▄▄█▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀██▄▄   █ █
 █     █▀ ▄▄█▀▀█▄▄ ▀██▀  ▄██▀█▄▄ ▀▀█  █ █
 █  ▄  █ ██▀ ▄▄▄ ▀█ ██ █▀▀ ▄▄▄ ▀██ █  █ █
 █ ██  ▀ ██ █▀▀▀█▄▄ ▀█ ▄▄█▀▀▀▀█ ██ ▀  █ █
   ██    █▀ ▄▄█▄  ▀▀███▀▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█    ▀ █
   ██    ▄▄██▀ ▄▄█▄ ██  █▄▄ ▀▀██▄▄      █
 █ ██    ▀▀ ▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄███▄ ▀▀██▄▄ ▀       █
 █  █      ▀▀▀ ▄██▀▀▄█ ▀██▄▄ ▀▀       █ █
 █  █         ▀▀▀   ██    ▀▀▀         █ █
 ▀█ ▀▄▄             ██              ▄█ ▄█
  ▀█▄ ▀▀▄▄          ██          ▄▄█▀ ▄█▀
     ▀█▄▄▀▀▀        ██       ▄▄ ▀▄▄█▀▀
        ▀▀█▄   ▄▄        ▄▄█▀▀   ▀
            ▀█▄▄▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄█▀
               ▀▀█▄▄▀▀ ▄▄█▀

E M I R E X
─── إمركس ───

...Whitepaper...

The Infrastructure for the
New Digital Economy

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████▄
████████████████████████
▄█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████
████████▀           ████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████            █████████
█████████  ██████████████████▀
████████▄           ████████
▀█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀██████▀▀▀

E M R X

─ Token ─

...LEARN MORE...

...Register...
[/cen
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:54:14 PM

I deposited only 1BTC

Did you connect your bitcointalk username to BTCJam?

+confirm

Ah, I guess at some point I did =P
just checked up on it.

boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:53:27 PM

Speaking of the motion. Under the approved field it is still listed as "voting in progress" when the voting period should have expired two days ago.
supermono

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:22:47 AM

I just read the below on the new "General FAQ" page:

"Is BTCJam responsible for the loan repayment?

No. This is a P2P bitcoin lending platform, the borrower is the sole responsible for all repayments. If the borrower defaults the loan is sent to our partner judge.me. If the arbitration award is granted the borrower information will be submitted to the local authorities."

Tulkas, can you tell me more about this? Does this mean that defaulted loans will now be sent to collections agencies and/or reported on people's credit reports? And will this apply just to new loans taken out in the future, or is it possible also to do this with some of the older loans? Over the last 6 months I've gradually lost nearly all my BTC investing in loans in BTCJam, and I would love to get some of that back, even if the collections agency takes a % of it. I would also like to see the defaulters, especially the people who defaulted in October-January before the exchange rate skyrocketed, facing some consequences for what they did, and I think BTCJam needs this, if it wants to begin to shed its reputation of being a haven for scammers.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: