Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:14:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Nefario  (Read 198627 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:51:44 PM

If he lost his GPG key, I won't be able to verify that the lists are actually from Nefario...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 09:24:57 PM

If he lost his GPG key, I won't be able to verify that the lists are actually from Nefario...

Arent the keys divided into private and public key? I believe your lists should be encrypted with public key so maybe he lost his private one.

Anyway... Nefario should come out plain where the money is and who dont want to pay back.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:56:19 PM

If it's gone, there's really nothing anybody can do about it. I see two options for you, theymos:
1) Trust that he is sending the accurate list, and do things the classic way and get a handwritten, signature signed contract mailed to you stating that the list is correct.
2) You sit on the coins indefinitely.

Sorry if I sound hostile toward you; I realize that James is the one at fault, but it is now your responsibility to take action with the intentions of resolving this mess.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 10:04:43 AM

Not sure if this last particular fiasco is his incompetent self, or his lying, scammy self.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
ciuciu
Donator

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:51:09 PM

Not sure if this last particular fiasco is his incompetent self, or his lying, scammy self.

There is no way to know sadly. Both are extremely believable :/

Welcome back Goat,

How does your lawsuit against Pirate is coming along? We can surely use your experience.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:07:20 AM

Welcome back Goat,

How does your lawsuit against Pirate is coming along? We can surely use your experience.

Was going fine until SEC. Now lawyer says wait and see if we can pick up the crumbs. I have no idea why but the SEC gets first in line for some odd reason :/.

GLBSE however might be a target, I'm pretty pissed off how this has ended. But then again SEC might be going after GLBSE so who knows...

Theres an old saying that without a body there isnt a crime.

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:22:16 PM

Welcome back Goat,

Was going fine until SEC. Now lawyer says wait and see if we can pick up the crumbs. I have no idea why but the SEC gets first in line for some odd reason :/.

That's a bit of a bummer given that there's no guarantee the SEC will actually end up taking any action against pirate.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 02:46:06 PM

Welcome back Goat,

That's a bit of a bummer given that there's no guarantee the SEC will actually end up taking any action against pirate.

True, but things are progressing.

How do you know this for certain?
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:33:20 AM

Hey all,

I had a call with James this morning, and he told be he could not communicate with the people holding the bitcoins he owes us, solely because he lost the flash drive with his private (GPG) key on it. I recommended the simple solution of giving the GLBSE trustees (Theymos and ColdHardMetal) the list of those who are owed funds, and trusting that they will treat the data and distribute the funds appropriately. He said "Huh, I hadn't thought of that". Then said that he will send them the lists when he gets home in a few hours. Could he really not think of this stupidly simple answer to this ridiculous problem on his own?

I'm quoting and sending this message to the two that he mentioned on the phone.

Also, he mentioned that he hasn't checked his glbse or doctor.nefario email accounts in over a month, and the forum for even longer.

Hopefully he'll bring himself to resolve this mess once and for all.

--Garrett

The gift that keeps on giving.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 06:44:42 AM

Hey all,

I had a call with James this morning, and he told be he could not communicate with the people holding the bitcoins he owes us, solely because he lost the flash drive with his private (GPG) key on it. I recommended the simple solution of giving the GLBSE trustees (Theymos and ColdHardMetal) the list of those who are owed funds, and trusting that they will treat the data and distribute the funds appropriately. He said "Huh, I hadn't thought of that". Then said that he will send them the lists when he gets home in a few hours. Could he really not think of this stupidly simple answer to this ridiculous problem on his own?

Also, he mentioned that he hasn't checked his glbse or doctor.nefario email accounts in over a month, and the forum for even longer.

--Garrett

As a followup to this I have been contacted by Nefario's email address with some addresses to send the coins I'm holding to.

However, before I randomly send coins off to these addresses, I'd like to establish that they aren't addresses controlled by Nefario.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how that might be accomplished?

I'm thinking if I post the addresses and the holders are forum members we are reasonably confident aren't Nefario, they could somehow demonstrate they do in fact control the address, and then I could send the coins on. I have no idea how that demonstration could be accomplished. I'm a bookkeeper, not a developer.

Thanks for any input.

memvola

Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 08:49:38 AM
Last edit: February 23, 2013, 09:44:01 AM by memvola

I'm thinking if I post the addresses and the holders are forum members we are reasonably confident aren't Nefario, they could somehow demonstrate they do in fact control the address, and then I could send the coins on. I have no idea how that demonstration could be accomplished. I'm a bookkeeper, not a developer.

Ask people to sign a string containing their e-mail address and/or forum account name with their claim address. They will send you the clear string and the signature. You can then verify that the signature matches the string using various tools. Satoshi Bitcoin client does this.

By the way, you could also ask people to re-submit to you their GLBSE claim addresses, however since addresses are pseudonymous, posting them here would also be acceptable.
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 09:01:17 AM

As a followup to this I have been contacted by Nefario's email address with some addresses to send the coins I'm holding to.

However, before I randomly send coins off to these addresses, I'd like to establish that they aren't addresses controlled by Nefario.

Thanks for any input.

If this list is about refunding everyone 100%, first thing I'd consider is checking the list in the OP of GLBSE Payment Claims thread to identify those addresses that are still waiting for their remaining 10%.

Yet, the sum of the missing 10% from that list is tiny, compared to still pending refunds (e.g. friedcat alone is still waiting for ~1.7k BTC from GLBSE).

Your best take to verify the remaining addresses would be to post the list here and let forum members confirm via PM which they control. If those who believe their address is missing on the list also PMd you, this will give you already a quite reliable indication of how legit the list is. The only issue hard to resolve are those addresses from people not frequenting the forum or completely left Bitcoin scene. Most former GLBSE asset issuers donate the remaining funds after some wait period.

I did all this recently to repay my former investors and resolve the mess GLBSE left behind. It is a PITA lot of work and I feel sorry for you now being responsible for cleaning up mess you did not cause (alone). Good Luck.

ColdHardMetal

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 10:14:01 AM

Ask people to sign a string containing their e-mail address and/or forum account name with their claim address. They will send you the clear string and the signature. You can then verify that the signature matches the string using various tools. Satoshi Bitcoin client does this.

By the way, you could also ask people to re-submit to you their GLBSE claim addresses, however since addresses are pseudonymous, posting them here would also be acceptable.

Okay, that sounds workable if I can figure out the verification bit. I don't have any of the emails associated with these addresses.

Thanks.

If this list is about refunding everyone 100%, first thing I'd consider is checking the list in the OP of GLBSE Payment Claims thread to identify those addresses that are still waiting for their remaining 10%.

Yet, the sum of the missing 10% from that list is tiny, compared to still pending refunds (e.g. friedcat alone is still waiting for ~1.7k BTC from GLBSE).

Your best take to verify the remaining addresses would be to post the list here and let forum members confirm via PM which they control. If those who believe their address is missing on the list also PMd you, this will give you already a quite reliable indication of how legit the list is. The only issue hard to resolve are those addresses from people not frequenting the forum or completely left Bitcoin scene. Most former GLBSE asset issuers donate the remaining funds after some wait period.

I did all this recently to repay my former investors and resolve the mess GLBSE left behind. It is a PITA lot of work and I feel sorry for you now being responsible for cleaning up mess you did not cause (alone). Good Luck.

I've only been holding a portion of the total deposits that there were. As such I only have 4 addresses to deal with, so this isn't too cumbersome. Nefario has all the records of everything else. I don't have access to any of that and never have. I have no idea what proportion of amounts owed to the addresses he gave the amounts he asked me to send represent, and no way to find that out. Given that this is the first time Nefario has responded to/contacted me since October, I would be surprised if that information were forthcoming.

That said I guess we'll do it this way. If your GLBSE payout address is one of the following please contact me so we can figure this out via memvola's suggestion above.

1GMys8gSUi5L3JrqZNPRB4s87JCwiQURvX
1PPyh5DtEkW45MHzdub3zKC3Z5NWmjALjH
17fd4pVV5u3GHrqHBc46tzoiDZJ3pMgnjJ
1BBKGnvVkyZ1sFCkZGee3RN7nxoSdm9AHT

Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:15:28 AM

Hey all,

--Garrett

Thanks for any input.

There is literally no way to ascertain how much btc Nefario has already sent himself or what addresses he controls. Rather than risk him getting the coins they probably should be donated to the bitcoin foundation or something.

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 01:15:26 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2013, 03:02:49 PM by BitcoinINV

Hey all,

--Garrett

Thanks for any input.
Nice to see you back Goat
There is literally no way to ascertain how much btc Nefario has already sent himself or what addresses he controls. Rather than risk him getting the coins they probably should be donated to the bitcoin foundation or something.

The people who are owed coins and might sue the GLBSE owners would not agree with this. The GLBSE owners can not just give the coins away. That will not end well for them. Keep in mind that GLBSE is not an LLC.

Edit: format fail lol
Nice to see you back goat

bixcoin

Activity: 168

Bixcoin Superdouche

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 04:17:38 PM

Okay, that sounds workable if I can figure out the verification bit. I don't have any of the emails associated with these addresses.

Thanks.

I've only been holding a portion of the total deposits that there were. As such I only have 4 addresses to deal with, so this isn't too cumbersome. Nefario has all the records of everything else. I don't have access to any of that and never have. I have no idea what proportion of amounts owed to the addresses he gave the amounts he asked me to send represent, and no way to find that out. Given that this is the first time Nefario has responded to/contacted me since October, I would be surprised if that information were forthcoming.

That said I guess we'll do it this way. If your GLBSE payout address is one of the following please contact me so we can figure this out via memvola's suggestion above.

1GMys8gSUi5L3JrqZNPRB4s87JCwiQURvX
1PPyh5DtEkW45MHzdub3zKC3Z5NWmjALjH
17fd4pVV5u3GHrqHBc46tzoiDZJ3pMgnjJ
1BBKGnvVkyZ1sFCkZGee3RN7nxoSdm9AHT

Hi,

I am the owner of 1PPyh5DtEkW45MHzdub3zKC3Z5NWmjALjH and I am really happy to see that adress here.
Please tell me how we can proceed. I have full control over this adress and my registered email adress here is linked to this adress on GLBSE.
ColdHardMetal

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 05:22:46 PM

Hi,

I am the owner of 1PPyh5DtEkW45MHzdub3zKC3Z5NWmjALjH and I am really happy to see that adress here.
Please tell me how we can proceed. I have full control over this adress and my registered email adress here is linked to this adress on GLBSE.

PM sent.

bixcoin

Activity: 168

Bixcoin Superdouche

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 09:28:43 PM

Can you please explain better what we have to do? It seems neither me nor CHM know what all this means.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 10:52:14 PM

I mean its only a precaution against nefario getting the BTC. But how will you prove that? I mean in case nefario would have given his own addresses he could have some other forumaccounts too and claim then with these that its his address.
So i think its not possible to proof.

Otherwise if you think nefario hasnt other accounts it would only need a message saying that an address is owned. It wouldnt make sense for someone who doesnt own it to claim that he does because he cant get the money and the money would go somewhere different.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
memvola

Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 01:20:44 AM

Can you please explain better what we have to do? It seems neither me nor CHM know what all this means.

The standard bitcoin client (bitcoin-qt) and blockchain.info wallet provide a "sign message" GUI. Electrum does it on the command line. Im sure there are some other tools that do that, and usually you don't need Internet access either to sign or to verify.

In blockchain.info/wallet, click on the Actions of the related address and select "Sign Message". Enter your unique information (forum name + e-mail for instance) and sign. Send both the text and the signature to CHM.

In bitcoin-qt, it's very similar. There is a "Sign Message" button on the "Receive coins" tab that works exactly the same.

Let me know if you use a different client.

"Verify" button on blockchain.info is on Receive Money->More Actions and can be used to verify regardless of the signing client.

This is the recommended way to prove you control an address without a doubt.
Pages: « 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 94 »
  Print  

Jump to: