Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:55:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378930 times)
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:27:00 AM

I suggest you read Hayek's Road to Serfdom. Totalitarianism under the urge to follow a "strong" leader by steering the sheeps against a "common enemy" is not giving choice to the market.
I have read it actually, and having multiple implementations for people to choose from is the equivalent of giving the market freedom of choice.

You're responding to a spam bot

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:32:17 AM

Garzik is being entirely too reasonable about this.

Perhaps we should take 12 to 18 months to snark each other in an effort to build consensus.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:36:09 AM

Quote from: Jeff Garzik
Without exaggeration, I have never seen this much disconnect between user wishes and dev outcomes in 20+ years of open source.
It is difficult to measure Users; projecting beyond "businesses and miners" is near impossible.

Without exaggeration, I have never seen this much disconnect between user
wishes and dev outcomes in 20+ years of open source.

This is because bitcoin is money or capital while rest of the open source software is just a tool which can be replaced at will if not good enough. When you have invested money in the bitcoin ecosystem and become the stake holder, there will be many different actors showing different interest, a chaos. This is especially true when developers are representing the interest of enterprises  Grin

I think core devs should be forbidden from joining any enterprise. Have you ever seen any of the FOMC member working for Microsoft or PayPal??? They are even independent from the government just to make sure to be free from political influence

Cconvert2G36

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:42:37 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2015, 02:53:08 AM by Cconvert2G36

-snip-

I think core devs should be forbidden from joining any enterprise. Have you ever seen any of the FOMC member working for Microsoft or PayPal??? They are even independent from the government just to make sure to be free from political influence

Not sure this is the best analogy.  Cheesy

William C. Dudley, New York, Vice Chairman    Former Goldman Sachs
Stanley Fischer, Board of Governors                Former Citigroup
Lael Brainard, Board of Governors                   Former McKinsey & Co
Daniel K. Tarullo, Board of Governors              Senior Fellow CFR
Jerome H. Powell, Board of Governors             Former Partner Carlyle Group
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:52:36 AM

-snip-

It has been proposed before that each miner contribute part of the mining income to pay the core devs, but the proposal was not further discussed

FOMC members get the highest motivation since they got keep all the money printed, this makes sure that they won't make stupid decisions just for their personal interest

VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:54:19 AM

-snip-

I agree with the principle, but the analogy definitely falls apart. lol
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:57:15 AM

-snip-

These are all banker's industry, not enterprise, FED of course represent the banker's interest

Cconvert2G36

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:13:45 AM

-snip-

These are all banker's industry, not enterprise, FED of course represent the banker's interest

On second glance, maybe it's the perfect analogy, 'cept the "former" qualifier.

I thought about restraining myself in "good faith", then I remembered which thread I'm in.
VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:46:25 AM

-snip-

William C. Dudley, New York, Vice Chairman    Former Goldman Sachs
Stanley Fischer, Board of Governors                Former Citigroup
Lael Brainard, Board of Governors                   Former McKinsey & Co
Daniel K. Tarullo, Board of Governors              Senior Fellow CFR
Jerome H. Powell, Board of Governors             Former Partner Carlyle Group

On second glance, maybe it's the perfect analogy, 'cept the "former" qualifier.

I thought about restraining myself in "good faith", then I remembered which thread I'm in.
Good point, I stand corrected.
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 05:48:17 AM

If the block size is to raise to avoid a suddenly formed fee market, then fee will always be small relative to block reward, at least for decades to come.

This is because fee is an effective measure to compensate orphan risk, as long as orphan risk stays below 10%, the fee will always be less than 1/10 of the block subsidy, no matter how small the block subsidy is. I'm not sure what kind of orphan risk miners are willing to take today, but I think there is an optimum range: They could include thousands of transactions in a block and become orphaned 50% of time, thus get only half the block subsidy and rest must come from fee; or collect no transactions thus only receive block subsidy with minimum orphan risk. There is a middle ground somewhere they can feel comfortable with, e.g. the maximum transaction that they can include without incur a high orphan risk

Is there any chance the fee will rise to replace block subsidy?

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 07:17:46 AM

Judging by your posts, it's certainly about expertise. And Gavin's attitude is likely also the result of his expertise allowing him to grasp the concept.

It's time. Given same amount of time, you can only become an expert in a specific area, this unavoidably limited your view. Or you can select to be a generalist thus giving up details (The smallest project I managed had 100+ developers, I seldom go below system integration level to check the codes)
Yes. So, you don't have to check the code here, right? And instead be a generalist and give up details. SegWit is generally quite simple.

I say this again: Bitcoin is a monetary system. To design and maintain a monetary system, you need at least the view of the central bank, not the view of programmers, because the programmers are in the lower part of financial industry, and they lack of overview of whole financial world

If in your eyes bitcoin is just a payment system, then naturally you are aiming to defeat paypal and visa, which is the industry leading solution. But this is almost the lowest level of concern for central banks
Bitcoin is a monetary system, and its rules (like inflation schedule) are predefined. There's no need for any sort of 'central bank view' to exist, and I deem it dangerous to suggest that anyone (be it core or not) is similar to FOMC, and can act on that basis.

But Bitcoin is also a payment system, and here we need programmers. Variables pertaining to its payment system part can be changed, if these changes do not contradict its monetary rules.

The question is: Is blocksize limit a monetary or a payment system variable?
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:49:59 PM

Bitcoin is a monetary system, and its rules (like inflation schedule) are predefined. There's no need for any sort of 'central bank view' to exist, and I deem it dangerous to suggest that anyone (be it core or not) is similar to FOMC, and can act on that basis.

But Bitcoin is also a payment system, and here we need programmers. Variables pertaining to its payment system part can be changed, if these changes do not contradict its monetary rules.

The question is: Is blocksize limit a monetary or a payment system variable?

It is a payment system variable, but payment system is only a small component in a monetary system, thus the priority is much lower than the monetary system's integrity and security. If you get a transaction capacity problem, you talk to paypal, not Federal Reserve

The monetary rule is only FED's tool, their major task is maintain market confidence. I think core devs should also prioritize that,  as they are the one that can affect the market confidence of bitcoin ecosystem

If you want bitcoin network to become the world's most trustworthy money with predefined money supply schedule, responsible for money distribution to other institutions, then nothing needs to be done: The Fedwire system that handles large transactions between Federal reserve and thousands of member banks in US do 4 tps, and bitcoin can do that today

If you want bitcoin to become a paypal like system that handles high frequency trading between billions of private people, then it is an e-commerce system. Its capacity is heavily limited by the CPU speed and network bandwidth (not block size limit), due to the nature of P2P network (exponentially rising data traffic and lag with more and more nodes).

Of course it will be good that bitcoin can both be a secure monetary system while still be able to serve billions of users at protocol level, but if you can not get both, which one do you prioritize? I think it is a huge waste of resource to use thousands of nodes on a P2P network to make sure a coffee transaction is tamper resistant  Cheesy

VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 05:33:32 PM

I think Bitcoin can do both, and that these different aspects of Bitcoin actually reinforce each other. I also do not think Bitcoin will become a world reserve currency without experiencing mass adoption as a currency for the people first, history also certainly supports this theory as well.
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 05:46:12 PM

If you want bitcoin network to become the world's most trustworthy money with predefined money supply schedule, responsible for money distribution to other institutions, then nothing needs to be done: The Fedwire system that handles large transactions between Federal reserve and thousands of member banks in US do 4 tps, and bitcoin can do that today

If you want bitcoin to become a paypal like system that handles high frequency trading between billions of private people, then it is an e-commerce system. Its capacity is heavily limited by the CPU speed and network bandwidth (not block size limit), due to the nature of P2P network (exponentially rising data traffic and lag with more and more nodes).

Of course it will be good that bitcoin can both be a secure monetary system while still be able to serve billions of users at protocol level, but if you can not get both, which one do you prioritize? I think it is a huge waste of resource to use thousands of nodes on a P2P network to make sure a coffee transaction is tamper resistant  Cheesy
I personally believe Bitcoin's main goal is providing monetary sovereignty. But how can you make use of it, if you can't transact in a trustless way, because blockchain is only for settlements? How is that any better than fiat? Hence all this debate. Hence the Lightning Network. It is supposed to solve this problem: let you transact in Bitcoin in a trustless manner, but without the need to put every tx on the blockchain. If we just sit and do nothing, Bitcoin is going nowhere (well, I exaggerate, but it has a lot more potential). It's too early to freeze the protocol, though it must be done eventually, I believe.
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:23:50 PM

I think Bitcoin can do both, and that these different aspects of Bitcoin actually reinforce each other. I also do not think Bitcoin will become a world reserve currency without experiencing mass adoption as a currency for the people first, history also certainly supports this theory as well.

It doesn't.

Typically any form of money that is not fiat started gaining traction as a currency only because people tended to hold it as they considered it valuable.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:31:58 PM

Of course it will be good that bitcoin can both be a secure monetary system while still be able to serve billions of users at protocol level, but if you can not get both, which one do you prioritize? I think it is a huge waste of resource to use thousands of nodes on a P2P network to make sure a coffee transaction is tamper resistant  Cheesy
I personally believe Bitcoin's main goal is providing monetary sovereignty. But how can you make use of it, if you can't transact in a trustless way, because blockchain is only for settlements? How is that any better than fiat? Hence all this debate. Hence the Lightning Network. It is supposed to solve this problem: let you transact in Bitcoin in a trustless manner, but without the need to put every tx on the blockchain. If we just sit and do nothing, Bitcoin is going nowhere (well, I exaggerate, but it has a lot more potential). It's too early to freeze the protocol, though it must be done eventually, I believe.

You cannot be serious....

For starters one of Bitcoin's central aspect is that for maybe the first time in history you can hold something that cannot be debased. Surely you'd agree that's quite a change from fiat.

It is reasonable to expect that people will still be dealing with financial institutions decades from now, whether it be banks, central clearing houses or what not.

The trendy "be your own bank" line is nothing but pipedream. Financial institutions are not going to disappear, they'll just be held accountable for their actions by the market and only the most competitive and innovative ones will survive. No more TBTF bailout.

VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 07:24:13 PM

It doesn't.

Typically any form of money that is not fiat started gaining traction as a currency only because people tended to hold it as they considered it valuable.
You should check your history, gold and silver coins have been used as a currency and a commodity for the majority of our known history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_coin
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 07:59:32 PM

It doesn't.

You should check your history, gold and silver coins have been used as a currency and a commodity for the majority of our known history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_coin

You're really dense aren't ya?

Gold didn't start off as a currency but as ornament, jewelry & collectibles hence the argument that people first have to find value in a commodity and hold it before it gains traction as a currency.

Proceed_With_GAWtion

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 09:07:55 PM

It's possible gmaxwell has had enough abuse. Apparently he gave up commit access to the bitcoin github. I saw his last post was in this thread a few days ago.

I've found the abuse the Core devs and BlockStream to terrible. I wouldn't blame any of them for choosing to walk away. On certain (unimportant) forums there's some celebration of the idea that gmaxwell may be walking away. Reading it, I have to say that I would walk away from a community with so many evil people. Frankly, I don't want to be in a "community" with people like that either. If there were a way to boot all of them out and keep gmaxwell, I'd prefer that. If they'd just fork off and leave the rest of us with Bitcoin, things would probably be fine (after a shaking out period). Instead they seem intent on "occupying" Bitcoin.

I'm sure gmaxwell knows he has a lot of supporters in the Bitcoin community. That wouldn't change if he decided to leave. I think most people would understand.
VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 09:15:34 PM

It's possible gmaxwell has had enough abuse. Apparently he gave up commit access to the bitcoin github. I saw his last post was in this thread a few days ago.

I've found the abuse the Core devs and BlockStream to terrible. I wouldn't blame any of them for choosing to walk away. On certain (unimportant) forums there's some celebration of the idea that gmaxwell may be walking away. Reading it, I have to say that I would walk away from a community with so many evil people. Frankly, I don't want to be in a "community" with people like that either. If there were a way to boot all of them out and keep gmaxwell, I'd prefer that. If they'd just fork off and leave the rest of us with Bitcoin, things would probably be fine (after a shaking out period). Instead they seem intent on "occupying" Bitcoin.

I'm sure gmaxwell knows he has a lot of supporters in the Bitcoin community. That wouldn't change if he decided to leave. I think most people would understand.
It can be said that the other side feels this way as well. They might even say the same thing about their ideological opponents. Considering that many people did sign up for the vision of Satoshi which Core presently seems to be diverting from.
Pages: « 1 ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 [198] 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: