Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:32:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1]  (Read 155271 times)
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:12:36 PM

I wish all of the ASIC bitcoin companies were this open and honest about their process and status. Everyone would sleep more soundly.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:14:17 PM

I wish all of the ASIC bitcoin companies were this open and honest about their process and status. Everyone would sleep more soundly.
I sleep just fine, tyvm. Maybe you should see a doctor?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
ewibit
Legendary

Activity: 2955
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:15:33 PM

+1
yes this could be fine for us
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:16:48 PM

...and for this bASIC customer. Stress is high, though it'd be higher if deadlines were made and broken every two weeks instead of two months.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:44:01 PM

The BFL reps responded to one of Avalons claims...with very vague mentions of a ~unique~ workflow arrangement enabling them to do...well, the impossible. (IMO)

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363
creativex

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:47:54 PM

Actually I'm beginning to believe that's *THE ONLY* BFL rep and his response was as usual completely meaningless.

Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:17:05 PM

The BFL reps responded to one of Avalons claims...with very vague mentions of a ~unique~ workflow arrangement enabling them to do...well, the impossible. (IMO)

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363
hm..

While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*
...oh shit.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

are they being serious?

experience in what? delaying shit so many times?

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:26:34 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2012, 08:38:47 PM by loshia

Probably the only one experienced from BFL team was the "old nice looking lady soldering singles" picture , but unfortunately even that picture was removed from their website lately. So guess what no one of the "experienced" employes left Grin
I am just wondering who will solder BFL ASIC's as long as lady has gone??? Huh

PS:Just found it in Google cache...
It is prety obvious that she is in top form and 1000+ Asics for 10 days are not an issue for her Shocked

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=butterflylabs.com&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=629&tbm=isch&tbnid=9lBP555L_b3bQM:&imgrefurl=http://www.butterflylabs.com/november-production-update/&docid=T43Z4PKGlpzzdM&imgurl=http://butterflylabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_1815.jpg&w=800&h=884&ei=DP_AUOiAGKnE4gTvioDgAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=769&vpy=280&dur=7869&hovh=236&hovw=214&tx=98&ty=193&sig=100595112714249957668&page=4&tbnh=132&tbnw=143&start=55&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:59,s:0,i:268

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 08:29:57 PM

Time until Inaba/BFL_Josh comes to defend BFL in this thread:
5... 4... 3...
creativex

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:31:24 PM

Probably the only one experienced from BFL team was the "old nice looking lady soldering singles" picture , but unfortunately even that picture was removed from their website lately. So guess what no one of the "experienced" employes left Grin
I am just wondering who will solder BFL ASIC's as long as lady has gone??? Huh

Josh + pajamas = soldering machine!

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1805

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:02:51 PM

Well, to be blunt, I'm not sure why the Avalon team wanted to join the word war ... but I guess it's 3 now in that Tongue
... at least until one team releases some ASIC Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
mightycount

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 11:36:26 PM

If you guys at Avalon are confident of your process, tech and timeline why wouldn't you open up more capacity to accept orders from disenchanted customers of competitors?

This would make total sense. If your second shipment can beat BFL's first, a lot of people would switch, I'm sure. I for one would have to do some serious soul searching for sure after a bunch of layers of BS from BFL Smiley

Personal Bitcoin Black List - Companies and people to avoid!
````` Butterfly Labs...MtGox...ragingazn628...(reserved)...  `````
mightycount

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 11:41:32 PM

I think the demonstration event has been mentioned at the first (around late Sep. ?). but please let Yifu to re-explain it later, he is at the meeting in Macau

Which one is you?
Better question:

Who is each individual at the table? What do they each do for Avalon?

... and who is the dude with a waitress and a chick on the far right?

Personal Bitcoin Black List - Companies and people to avoid!
````` Butterfly Labs...MtGox...ragingazn628...(reserved)...  `````
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 12:56:03 AM

It seems Inaba has been put on a leash by his bosses. He stopped posting/insulting people here on the forums Smiley

So I just copied his reply from the BFL forums.

1. while this wafer making process is going, you can't cancel it, or make adjustments, and if you wish to change anything, you will have to re-run this whole work flow all over again ( the large amount of the NRE upwards of 6 digits in USD is paid when you make the MASK). so anytime, BFL mention they are waiting for chips to come e.g. next week, but if they are still making adjustments, then this is physically impossible. In addition, fabrication company don't do chip packaging, if they are expecting the chips to arrive next week that means the production is already finished and they are probably in the chip packaging company (it is usually this time you find out if your chips work or not. which can also take some time since you'll have to test each of the chips for defects.)

BFL_Josh replies: "While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area. While the above may be true for them (and I have no doubt it is), what they are able to accomplish in a given time frame does not necessarily apply to our development workflow and process." https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363

What does that tell us? Right. Nothing. Just more weasel comments. It applies, or maybe it does not ... there is, maybe there is not ... we ship, maybe we won't ...

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:25:29 AM

So what was supposed to take 25 days from Halloween?

The next scheduled announcement of another "unexpected delay" from the world's most experienced processor design team in the world!

Buy & Hold
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:54:55 AM

It seems Inaba has been put on a leash by his bosses. He stopped posting/insulting people here on the forums Smiley
I was hoping no one would notice that he does have a boss or his sudden silence.

So I just copied his reply from the BFL forums.

1. while this wafer making process is going, you can't cancel it, or make adjustments, and if you wish to change anything, you will have to re-run this whole work flow all over again ( the large amount of the NRE upwards of 6 digits in USD is paid when you make the MASK). so anytime, BFL mention they are waiting for chips to come e.g. next week, but if they are still making adjustments, then this is physically impossible. In addition, fabrication company don't do chip packaging, if they are expecting the chips to arrive next week that means the production is already finished and they are probably in the chip packaging company (it is usually this time you find out if your chips work or not. which can also take some time since you'll have to test each of the chips for defects.)

BFL_Josh replies: "While I appreciate the technical prowess of the Avalon team, the fact of the matter is they simply don't have the resources or experience we have in this area. While the above may be true for them (and I have no doubt it is), what they are able to accomplish in a given time frame does not necessarily apply to our development workflow and process." https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7363

What does that tell us? Right. Nothing. Just more weasel comments. It applies, or maybe it does not ... there is, maybe there is not ... we ship, maybe we won't ...
It just means that the BFL rep is an expert in the art of quantum super-positioning statements.

It can be in more than three states at the same time.

You can infer "does not necessarily apply" to mean it does apply, yet, it does not apply. It all depends on the observer.

Making vague statements and keeping your distance is what you do when you can't say or have nothing to say in such a situation. Just hope the chips arrive and then start shipping.

Oh, and the 11th, the rep said it won't be met. (later in the month is the next revision).
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:57:32 AM

This would make total sense. If your second shipment can beat BFL's first, a lot of people would switch, I'm sure. I for one would have to do some serious soul searching for sure after a bunch of layers of BS from BFL Smiley
BFL has apparently designed a fab technique based on layering BS on their chip. That is why they can grow/deposit those layers so darn quickly.

It will do everything (at lower power). As long as it is not seen by the human eye.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 03:04:50 AM

Hmmm..... I think doing business in this region for over 25 years, gives me just a little perspective on the business practices of the Pearl Delta.
But perhaps brush up a little 武經七書... because I got what I needed faster than I expected.

I think you have no sense of humility after doing business for 25 years in these regions that you lost the ability to talk to another person like a regular human being. I had no intention to hide who these people were, I simply uploaded the picture from my phone on-the-go and now had the chance to do a proper follow up, not to mention many of these faces are not new and often seen in public involving bitcoin.

It would be much appreciated in the future, especially when directing questions at me. Brush up on how to be a gentleman, remove any trace of prejudice and cynicism you have obtained from a past that has nothing to do with me.

Please don't try to give lecture about something you know little about,  I'm very well paid and very good at what I do.

When you have had credible death threats from 'respectable' Asian business men  and attempts to kidnap your wife, come talk to me and we can talk all you want about:
 humility/racism/prejudice/cynicism/corruption/slavery/poisoning of babies/adults for profit or anything else you think you are an expert on.

Dear Thread,

Shut the hell up or so God help me I will turn this car around.

Signed, your favorite angry neighborhood bastard mod

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:22:08 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2012, 04:53:53 AM by Bogart

Some background information on ASIC production process, before tape out, 3 day before uploading GDS, we fill out a MT form with TSMC detailing the ASIC specific information so they may understand what we are doing. The gallery is here http://imgur.com/a/YOLez

Wow, 1.3GB of GDS data.  That's a lotta bits goin into them thar chips.

I hope y'all had them verify a hash of it.  Really their form ought to have a field for it.

Nice news release.  The next news I want to hear is that you have received the prototype chips, and that they are hashing as expected. Smiley

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:11:26 AM

I have a support ticket open which is now nearly 2 weeks old with no response other than 'Ticket Received',  re order number 200000363.
(ticket 13)
Can I please get some action on this?

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: