Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:43:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 555 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network  (Read 1201066 times)
decred (OP)

Activity: 156
Merit: 236

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 08:30:40 PM

Woah!

Don't the senior members/other devs need to take stock here.
The euphoria of another $82 airdrop, get in early get rich, work together, no risk scheme.

Bitcoin is my goal, problems or neigh.

Satoshi owns 5% of total (21m)  bitcoin. That is bad enough.
c0, a private company(?) want even more of their coin. 7.376% in yr 1 and increasing. That is worse.

Are c0 worth more than Satoshi, (in their prosective coins) I think not. I thought those days were over.
Satoshi was a one off.

If the devs here, (who are clearly competent) and future devs here, and senior members, spent their time on Bitcoin instead of this idealogical, but flawed by massive reward for The new master c0 demi-centralised idea.
Who knows.

I should just pretend this will work, (like many others) take my airdrop, convert to bitcoin.
No thanks.
Do your good work for bitcoin instead please.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding if you believe Decred is an attack on Bitcoin. The type of thinking where everything new is a threat is archaic and monolothic and needs to be shattered. If anything, this project attempts to show that a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship can exist between projects like Decred and Bitcoin. c0 has contributed to Bitcoin for years - just look at btcsuite, and that continues unhindered. There has been no claim that the proposed development ecosystem in Decred is perfect, but there are claims to it being progressive and it's based on a public track record of free and open-source software.

Whilst this rebuttal by no means aims to belittle your view, it does try and take a stand and argue against the notion that we must all blindly fall in line behind Bitcoin without question - why? The reason Decred exists is because of many years of experiences in the Bitcoin development environment. All the developers working on Decred respect Bitcoin and either currently or in the past have contributed to it. Exploration based on this experience is by definition progress, and it's not progress to the disadvantage of either - it pulls both Decred and Bitcoin forward simultaneously.

Having said that, it is urged you read a previous and detailed post on the figures you're citing. Keep in mind c0/devs did not get a single coin for free. Every coin given to them was purchased and/or worked for through development, and as such, they are the only ones carrying the risk for bringing and developing new technology. The community was not asked to carry any risk, which is why coins given to the community were given freely without any expectation or condition placed on them. It was the only reasonable balance between reality and the cost of creating new technology, whilst not pushing that onto users to carry. The project never asked for anyone's money, nor will it ever do that. Everyone here is here by their own free will and interest in building and hacking on technology together.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rizzlarolla

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 08:33:06 PM

Exciting, yes. Flawed yes.
(most exciting coin in a long time..  in a long list of shitcoins?)

I have read the whole thread twice so far. No I don't understand it all yet, do you?

Were my figures correct?

So if you can't understand it yet how can you say it is flawed?

I think I understand quite a lot. I remain open to correction.

Are my figures correct, as I have declared them inaccurate?
I will correct in due course, but feel free in the meantime.

Did I mention "your" figures...?

The way that this project developed invokes trust Not doubt...

This project will "bring back and unite people who are serious about getting involved in a project that wants to focus on and empower development."

Quote from: bamsterdam on Today at 03:42:03 PM
I see all these forum veterans that are rely enthusiastic about the project haven't seen that for a while now..

That's part of the goal. Bring back and unite people who are serious about getting involved in a project that wants to focus on and empower development. The hope is that a strong and sustainable development ecosystem will have spillover effects into other areas.

Quote from: bamsterdam on Today at 03:42:03 PM
I was looking at the website to participate in the airdrop and I gave the url to my profile here on btc talk with my email adress, will this be sufficient? 

Yes, that will certainly be sufficient. Decred hopes to attract contributors, and if you're legitimately involved in cryptocurrencies and the issues around them, it's considered contributory.

Sorry, no you did not mention figures. I did.
I thought you might have wanted to quickly check, as you say in sig, It's all mathematics!

This project will "bring back and unite people who are serious about getting involved in a project that wants to focus on and empower development."
Yes, it will feel like it. But really you will all be working on the cheap for c0, most likely. imo.
_ingsoc

Activity: 452
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2016, 08:49:21 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2016, 09:00:52 PM by _ingsoc

But really you will all be working on the cheap for c0, most likely. imo.

There has been no information about compensation for devs that will form part of the proposed ecosystem. So I don't know where you get that from. This begs the question though, and it's a serious one, what's the alternative for a new dev in the future? Work on Bitcoin and get paid nothing? Or work in a system where you get compensated for innovation and contributions that feed back into Bitcoin as well? I know that's biased, but it's a legitimate proposal that's being formed.

rizzlarolla

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:22:49 PM

But really you will all be working on the cheap for c0, most likely. imo.

There has been no information about compensation for devs that will form part of the proposed ecosystem. So I don't know where you get that from. This begs the question though, and it's a serious one, what's the alternative for a new dev in the future? Work on Bitcoin and get paid nothing? Or work in a system where you get compensated for innovation and contributions that feed back into Bitcoin as well? I know that's biased, but it's a legitimate proposal that's being formed.

As i said, imo. (as, as you said, there is no info on the subject!)

I know not the employment of devs. Does this all now rest on dcred/c0?

It was basically a good idea, of course. But c0 get to powerful/gready/centralised. (in the current plan)
rizzlarolla

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 09:59:58 PM

There is a fundamental misunderstanding if you believe Decred is an attack on Bitcoin. The type of thinking where everything new is a threat is archaic and monolothic and needs to be shattered. If anything, this project attempts to show that a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship can exist between projects like Decred and Bitcoin. c0 has contributed to Bitcoin for years - just look at btcsuite, and that continues unhindered. There has been no claim that the proposed development ecosystem in Decred is perfect, but there are claims to it being progressive and it's based on a public track record of free and open-source software.

Whilst this rebuttal by no means aims to belittle your view, it does try and take a stand and argue against the notion that we must all blindly fall in line behind Bitcoin without question - why? The reason Decred exists is because of many years of experiences in the Bitcoin development environment. All the developers working on Decred respect Bitcoin and either currently or in the past have contributed to it. Exploration based on this experience is by definition progress, and it's not progress to the disadvantage of either - it pulls both Decred and Bitcoin forward simultaneously.

Having said that, it is urged you read a previous and detailed post on the figures you're citing. Keep in mind c0/devs did not get a single coin for free. Every coin given to them was purchased and/or worked for through development, and as such, they are the only ones carrying the risk for bringing and developing new technology. The community was not asked to carry any risk, which is why coins given to the community were given freely without any expectation or condition placed on them. It was the only reasonable balance between reality and the cost of creating new technology, whilst not pushing that onto users to carry. The project never asked for anyone's money, nor will it ever do that. Everyone here is here by their own free will and interest in building and hacking on technology together.

I guess i best reply to this, then, so not to clog the thread disproportionally, I'll try to just watch a day or two.

There is no fundermental misunderstanding. I do not believe dcred an attack on bitcoin as such, more an attack on decentralisation/equality due to massive % of "total" dcreds held by c0 in 1 year. I don't think everything new is a threat, but then there is nothing new in (a company) trying to take such vast (potential)future profit/power. I appreciate any contribution to Bitcoin made by c0, past and future, thankyou. I understand no claim of perfect has been made, but (imo) the stake held by c0 will prevent any real, long term, growth (perfect). c0 will hold all the real mass profit.

I would not suggest anyone follow Bitcoin blindly, I always recommend research, as I would here. Funny how $82 can warp ones' oppinion though.

I have read that post, and that was my initial interest. I got sidetracked (hence my uncorrected as yet slip). c0/devs now want paying retrospectively for work done. But also in the future, regardless if they ever work again (unlikely, agreed) due to their pre mine pos'ing. c0/dev are the only one taking the risk at the moment, but that will change. For dcred to grow in the future, c0 will dominate the space and will, in their entity of a company, need to be trusted by investors. A kind of single entity dominated, decentralised crypto.

makemake

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 11:15:36 PM

insteresting coin...but could u create a optimized version of your wallet and miner for raspberry pi after launch? thanks
ozboy2014

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:45:09 AM

Hoping that the airdrop coins would be sufficient for staking  Grin Would like to see the payment gateway in place as soon as practical as this will allow integration of other e-commerce platforms.. Are we able to buy in also pre launch? Thanks

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 03:09:22 AM

Again, full disclosure, I'm not participating in the airdrop via any accounts, but curious as to what deters users from taking advantage of the airdrops via say a dozen-plus monikers, of which all they control? I can easily envision a person earning a potential hundreds of dollars sans any real effort.

This is a fair concern. There are a number of verification steps involved - hence the reason why the project had to push back the invitation e-mails being sent out. Every application receives individual attention. Most platforms today show an account creation date, and an application is more likely to be rejected if it's clear that the moniker that signed up cannot be linked to the URL submitted. This is why it is encouraged participants sign up with an online presence of some sort. There are also technical checks in place to avoid gaming the initiative. No system is going to be perfect, but reasonable steps can be taken to make it as inclusive and fair as possible.

Are you inferring that only users of BitcoinTalk will be able to take advantage of the airdrop?

To be fair, yes, this is a trick question, but a legit one nonetheless.

Great to see people are starting to receive invitations and generating their addresses! The e-mails will keep flowing. Make sure you check your spam folder if you haven't whitelisted decred.org. There is also a dedicated support thread that just opened to help guide others through the process. Decred has an international community, so if you notice anything in the language-specific threads about getting help with the process, please help others where you can. You can also post here and people will help you if you have trouble.

All members of this forum?
multicurrency

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 04:25:08 AM

Are you inferring that only users of BitcoinTalk will be able to take advantage of the airdrop?

No. I signed up for the airdrop successfully using only a github link and email address as my evidence. I made no reference back to bitcointalk. I thought it might be a mark against me.  Wink

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
████ ★ BREAKOUT COINWEBSITE  ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦  MULTICURRENCY SMART CONTRACTS + SIDECHAINS   ♠ ♥ ♣ ♦   BITCOINTALK THREAD   ████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
MickGhee
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

Fucker of "the system"

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 05:46:17 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2016, 06:38:52 AM by MickGhee

This is pretty exciting guys. Looks like we got another top 5 crypto In The works. Glad I stumbled on this I'm contacting the dev team to see if I can assist.

Hey litecoin

Last night, while you were sleeping. I fucked the system!
MickGhee
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

Fucker of "the system"

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 05:55:26 AM

why was blake chosen instead of any of the other sha3 finalists? What does it have that is better for decred than skein or keccak, for example?

Come on man you know Blake runs cooler is more effecient and consumes less resources in pos.

Last night, while you were sleeping. I fucked the system!
Mark77

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:57:15 AM

I like idea of this coin, and I want to participate in  airdrop, but I do not have url.
How I join in airdrop?
pm1978

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

stealthcoin.com

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 07:17:32 AM

Confirmation received, thanx Decred-team! Watching with interest, looks very promising  Smiley

STEALTHCOIN | XST | stealthcoin.com
BLOCKNET : THE INTERNET OF BLOCKCHAINS https://blocknet.co/ | A DECENTRALISED EXCHANGE THAT IS 100% TRUSTLESS.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 07:52:32 AM

This is pretty exciting guys. Looks like we got another top 5 crypto In The works. Glad I stumbled on this I'm contacting the dev team to see if I can assist.

Hey litecoin DASH

FTFY   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
indiemax

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:11:59 AM

I guess i best reply to this, then, so not to clog the thread disproportionally, I'll try to just watch a day or two.

There is no fundermental misunderstanding. I do not believe dcred an attack on bitcoin as such, more an attack on decentralisation/equality due to massive % of "total" dcreds held by c0 in 1 year. I don't think everything new is a threat, but then there is nothing new in (a company) trying to take such vast (potential)future profit/power. I appreciate any contribution to Bitcoin made by c0, past and future, thankyou. I understand no claim of perfect has been made, but (imo) the stake held by c0 will prevent any real, long term, growth (perfect). c0 will hold all the real mass profit.

I would not suggest anyone follow Bitcoin blindly, I always recommend research, as I would here. Funny how $82 can warp ones' oppinion though.

Who said Decred was worth anything?

I understand the value will be set by the market, not ones' opinion
decred (OP)

Activity: 156
Merit: 236

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 10:24:40 AM

Are you inferring that only users of BitcoinTalk will be able to take advantage of the airdrop? To be fair, yes, this is a trick question, but a legit one nonetheless.

No, the airdrop is not exclusive to Bitcointalk accounts. They are valid forms of online presence if they are not obvious throwaway accounts and have some history of legitimate engagement. Any online presence is valid - there is no discrimination on the basis of platforms.

All members of this forum?

Edited because this question was missed in reference to the comment on Decred's international community. What this means is the project is seeing global participation. At present, participants have come from over 100 different countries.
_ingsoc

Activity: 452
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2016, 10:36:58 AM

I like idea of this coin, and I want to participate in  airdrop, but I do not have url.
How I join in airdrop?

You can submit your Bitcointalk profile if you'd like.

hardest1510

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:25:58 PM

I like this coin and I will mine it Wink
Jack Liver
Legendary

Activity: 1981
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:55:14 PM

thanks for confirmation this is really interesting  Smiley
makemake

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 03:32:33 PM

i subscribe this thread and want to partecipate to airdrop...but what? Huh please dev help me
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 555 »
  Print  

Jump to: