Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:28:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis and list of top big blocks shills (XT #REKT ignorers)  (Read 46559 times)
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:08:37 AM

Smiley

What should we shill next u guise? Now that we're all REKT, I mean. We could brigade the climate change Reddit for a while? I guess. Cry

I thought that was what we were doing?

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hyperjacked
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1119

It's all mathematics...!

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:12:13 AM

Smiley

What should we shill next u guise? Now that we're all REKT, I mean. We could brigade the climate change Reddit for a while? I guess. Cry

You could always have a martini and watch Mash reruns...Do you guys actually make money at this...? Cheesy

cheers

@Hyperjacked1 Twitter
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:24:00 AM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 12:50:28 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

Smiley

I thought that was what we were doing?

Climate change is next Wednesday.

But I was warned there would be severe consequences if I don't produce results on this block size thing. Embarrassed

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
CuntChocula

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:30:23 AM

Smiley

You could always have a martini and watch Mash reruns...Do you guys actually make money at this...? Cheesy

cheers

.5[btc/post base pay +, but it's not about the money.
And yourself?
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:51:01 AM

We all had to start somewhere.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:54:51 AM

Smiley

cheers

And yourself?

Fuck sakes. I'm getting ripped off.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:57:38 AM

Smiley

cheers

And yourself?

Fuck sakes. I'm getting ripped off.

Bitcoins are for closers! Angry

valiz

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

BTC trader

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 09:22:58 AM

^Not sure what you're saying here. You don't believe there are scenarios in which interests of >51% of hashpower are at odds with those of the hodlers?
I suppose that is what I think yes. It might be more accurate to say that I do not think that the majority of the hashpower will go against the economic majority. I think that the game theory of Bitcoin is designed in such a way, that it ensures the continued decentralization and freedom of the protocol. In the case of a fifty one percent attack, I think the miners are definitely disincentivized to carry out such an attack, it would be irrational while requiring collective effort from separate entities, this I think is very unlikely, especially also considering the lessons learned over the past few years. Of course we could dream up of scenarios where this could happen, however it is very unlikely. Like many things in Bitcoin it is more about having a high probability of certainty as opposed to actually having absolute certainty. This works well enough, just like zero confirmation does in most retail situations.

This 'economic majority'  would affect the miners only in the long run. In the short run, the majority of the miners could choose to stick with the 'wrong' Bitcoin fork. Another flaw in this concept is that it assumes there shall be only one Bitcoin, which can be changed with hardforks all the time, as long as people accept it.

But if something like 60% of people accept Bitcoin A (original, pre-fork) and 40% of people accept Bitcoin B (forked), then there will be 2 'economic majorities', and both sides would survive. But because of the sudden fork and the lack of knowledge from average Joe, this could create widespread chaos, and both sides of the fork would lose value rapidly:
* Average Joe A wants to perform some tero financing for his friend TeroDrone B. Both barely know what a wallet is. Joe A has a wallet working with Bitcoin A while TeroDrone B has a wallet working with Bitcoin B. The transaction would not work as expected, both would be severly disappointed. Bitcoin is no good.
* Average Joe B wants to buy a frapuccino from some local merchant. Joe B uses a Bitcoin B wallet. Unfortunately, the merchant was too noob to upgrade the wallet, and still accepts Bitcoin A. No frapuccino for Joe B or no payment for the merchant. Bitcoin is no good.

But people like Veritas disregard this scenario. They will fork without widespread consensus. They think they know the will of the 'economic majority'.

I also think there is no governance mechanism for Bitcoin and there shouldn't be one, same as for gold.

I do think that you are wrong on this point. The rules of gold can not be changed, the rules of Bitcoin can be changed, this is one of the reasons why Bitcoin is better then gold. Since Bitcoin does represent a community of people that follow certain common rules, any change to these rules or even just continuing to uphold these rules requires a form of governance. This is a human necessity that can not be escaped, even anarchism requires forms of governance. Fortunately Bitcoin already has a governance mechanism build into the protocol.
I do think that you are wrong at this point. The rules of gold can not be changed, the rules of Bitcoin can be changed, this is one of the reasons why Bitcoin is worse than gold.  This is why Bitcoin will eventually fail. At some point, these attempts to 'govern' Bitcoin, using populism, will produce hard forks (altcoins) strong enough to be considered Bitcoin. Slowly, but surely, this governance will become more and more centralized, and it will reach the point where it would multiply the existing Bitcoins. Afterwards, it's over. Perhaps some other crypto will take it's place.

Every currency controlled by man fails. Gold is still here.

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
Hyperjacked
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1119

It's all mathematics...!

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 12:55:43 PM

Smiley

cheers

And yourself?

Honestly I've never received anything for posting...not even 1 Satoshi! Even at my lowest point as a homeless retail investor I couldnt get one free coffee for all my free BTC chart tips!

Disclaimer:Future owner of Fatman soup kitchen! "No shirt No Shoes No problem"

@Hyperjacked1 Twitter
CuntChocula

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 02:49:00 PM

Honestly? Sad
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 03:35:01 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 03:49:14 PM by VeritasSapere

^Not sure what you're saying here. You don't believe there are scenarios in which interests of >51% of hashpower are at odds with those of the hodlers?
I suppose that is what I think yes. It might be more accurate to say that I do not think that the majority of the hashpower will go against the economic majority. I think that the game theory of Bitcoin is designed in such a way, that it ensures the continued decentralization and freedom of the protocol. In the case of a fifty one percent attack, I think the miners are definitely disincentivized to carry out such an attack, it would be irrational while requiring collective effort from separate entities, this I think is very unlikely, especially also considering the lessons learned over the past few years. Of course we could dream up of scenarios where this could happen, however it is very unlikely. Like many things in Bitcoin it is more about having a high probability of certainty as opposed to actually having absolute certainty. This works well enough, just like zero confirmation does in most retail situations.
This 'economic majority' would affect the miners only in the long run.
The economic majority effects the price of Bitcoin, the price of Bitcoin directly influences the income of the miners, both in the short term and the long term. Furthermore keep in mind that mining is also a long term investment which is not liquid. Therefore miners are effected both in the short and long run, since the price can move slow and fast and respond to situations very quickly.

In the short run, the majority of the miners could choose to stick with the 'wrong' Bitcoin fork.
I find this to be a strange statement, there is no "wrong" fork. Even if the miners did stick with a fork that over time would cease to be the dominant chain in terms of value, miners could simply switch back to the more valuable chain under such a scenario. This also allows the market to choose and test these concepts in the real world.

Another flaw in this concept is that it assumes there shall be only one Bitcoin, which can be changed with hardforks all the time, as long as people accept it.
I do not assume that there will only be one Bitcoin actually. I think over the long run Bitcoin splitting is unavoidable and off political necessity.

But if something like 60% of people accept Bitcoin A (original, pre-fork) and 40% of people accept Bitcoin B (forked), then there will be 2 'economic majorities', and both sides would survive.
Under such a scenario there would not be two economic majorities since the currency would have split. Holders would intersect across both chains obviously however the governance of each chain would be distinct and separate.

But because of the sudden fork and the lack of knowledge from average Joe, this could create widespread chaos, and both sides of the fork would lose value rapidly.
So you are saying that: Increasing the blocksize to two megabyte will create chaos! Your Bitcoins will lose their value rapidly! Paraphrasing you here to make a point. I think that you are fear mongering, if you are not doing this on purpose then I might suggest that you are scared of this situation. Fear is a strong emotion, it is one of the strongest emotions that is capable of overriding peoples reasoning. This is especially true with something like Bitcoin, where there is peoples wealth at stake.

First of all this upcoming fork to two megabytes will most likely have the support of more then ninety percent of the hashpower. Furthermore most of the major companies and wallets are also in support of this change. Therefore it will not be confusing at all to average Joe, since it will be clear to him at least, who is in the majority, since average Joe does not run a full node, his wallet provider will take care of that side of things.

* Average Joe A wants to perform some tero financing for his friend TeroDrone B. Both barely know what a wallet is. Joe A has a wallet working with Bitcoin A while TeroDrone B has a wallet working with Bitcoin B. The transaction would not work as expected, both would be severly disappointed. Bitcoin is no good.
* Average Joe B wants to buy a frapuccino from some local merchant. Joe B uses a Bitcoin B wallet. Unfortunately, the merchant was too noob to upgrade the wallet, and still accepts Bitcoin A. No frapuccino for Joe B or no payment for the merchant. Bitcoin is no good.
If the smaller chain survives then it will be like other altcoins, in the sense that Bitcoin is not more difficult to use because of the existence of Litecoin for example. Its not like the existence of Litecoin addresses breaks Bitcoin?

The example you give here will not occur in the situation we are in now, I suspect it will only be the diehards in terms of this small blockist philosophy that will stay behind on the old chain. People that are capable of running full nodes, will at least be smart enough to know the difference between two separate cryptocurrencies. Credit where credit is due, the small blockist camp do tend to be very technically inclined, if you do not mind me generalizing in a more positive sense about my ideological opponents here.

This bring me back to another point however, lets say hypothetically if we did have a 40/60 split. I presume you would think that either the 40% or the 60% should be "forced" to live under any rule changes or lack of changes that they disagree with or leave? This is a lot like a government that rules by force using the majority as a justification for its tyranny, or even worse a minority. If people where truly so divided in their vision of Bitcoin then a split is the best solution and justified, it solves the problem of tyranny of the majority. If you do not think we should be able to split what do you suggest we do instead under this hypothetical scenario? I can not imagine a solution that is as graceful as the one that is inherent within the Bitcoin protocol. Even if you can think of a better alternative to splitting, which I can not imagine being the case under the hypothetical scenario I describe, since it is the ability to split that best preserves the principles of freedom and self determination. Whatever you do think it does not change the reality that Bitcoin can split, whether you like it or not, you should embrace this concept, or question your involvement in Bitcoin.

But people like Veritas disregard this scenario. They will fork without widespread consensus. They think they know the will of the 'economic majority'.
Well this is a complete straw man argument, I have never said this. In fact I have clearly stated the opposite, we intend to fork with a high degree of consensus and I do not know the will of the majority. However collectively the network can know the will of the economic majority through proof of work and market dynamics, emergent consensus can form, this is the new dawn of decentralized governance.

I also think there is no governance mechanism for Bitcoin and there shouldn't be one, same as for gold.
I do think that you are wrong on this point. The rules of gold can not be changed, the rules of Bitcoin can be changed, this is one of the reasons why Bitcoin is better then gold. Since Bitcoin does represent a community of people that follow certain common rules, any change to these rules or even just continuing to uphold these rules requires a form of governance. This is a human necessity that can not be escaped, even anarchism requires forms of governance. Fortunately Bitcoin already has a governance mechanism build into the protocol.
I do think that you are wrong at this point. The rules of gold can not be changed, the rules of Bitcoin can be changed, this is one of the reasons why Bitcoin is worse than gold.  This is why Bitcoin will eventually fail. At some point, these attempts to 'govern' Bitcoin, using populism, will produce hard forks (altcoins) strong enough to be considered Bitcoin.
I see, so you think Bitcoin will fail. So you are a Bitcoin skeptic then, not a believer like myself then I suppose. I can respect that. It is good that you say this it makes much of your other argumentation consistent. We need more real Bitcoin skeptics that actually have a decent understanding of Bitcoin. I am curous about your involvement in this debate and what motivates you to do this since you are not a true believer so to speak, however your motivations are irrelevant. What matters is the contents of our arguments. I suppose this blocksize issue definitely does highlight your critique of Bitcoin very well actually. For me this certainly is a existential struggle within Bitcoin, discovering itself, growing and evolving to become more great. A political awakening even, discovering and understanding the governance mechanisms within Bitcoin.

Slowly, but surely, this governance will become more and more centralized, and it will reach the point where it would multiply the existing Bitcoins. Afterwards, it's over. Perhaps some other crypto will take it's place.
I suppose that I think that the governance of Bitcoin will become more decentralized over time, especially with increased adoption. Why do you think that the governance of Bitcoin will become more centralized? I do not have any reason to think that myself, obviously I think the opposite will happen.

Every currency controlled by man fails. Gold is still here.
I think that you are to quick to reach that conclusion, Bitcoin has not been around for that long for the history of currencies. Bitcoin also has a decentralized governance mechanism, which I think is one of the most important innovations that could make the difference in its success compared to currencies that came before. Bitcoin is much more then just a currency as well of course, which I think will further contribute to its success.

I was going to argue that Bitcoin is controlled by the people, but I realize now that you already know this. And that this is why you think that Bitcoin will fail. I suppose you might think that we can radically change Bitcoin so that it is not controlled by the people, I do not think this is possible however since you will not be able to solve the problem of "who decides". Furthermore it would be wrong to attempt to do this to Bitcoin without a split or just starting a new project from scratch. Since that is not what people originally signed up for and it can be argued that this breaks the social contract of Bitcoin.

Quote from:  tsontar
In my discussions with various members of Core, I have reached the conclusion that most of them simply disagree with the design of Bitcoin, which by design allows the consensus rules to be changed by a sufficient majority of miners and users, independent of what any group of technocrats wish. It is important to remember not to attribute malice where ignorance is equally explanatory. All of the devs I engage with are very strong in cryptography and computer science, which may make them less accepting of the fact that at its core, Bitcoin relies in the economic self-interest of the masses to govern consensus, not a group of educated technocrats. As an educated technocrat myself I can understand the sentiment. It would be better if math and only math governed Bitcoin. But that's not how Bitcoin is actually governed. At the end of the day, if social engineering and developer manipulation can kill Bitcoin, well then we're all betting on the wrong horse.
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 268

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 03:55:07 PM

This topic is still a thing in the Bitcoinland?
VeritasSapere

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:03:30 PM

This topic is still a thing in the Bitcoinland?
Not for much longer I suspect, the tide is turning. Smiley
CuntChocula

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:13:50 PM

... The economic majority effects the price of Bitcoin. ...

I think your confusion lies in "Economic Majority" (as defined in Bitcoin Wiki) being a misnomer.

"Economic majority" only makes sense if we choose to go with BTC as the unit of account. But BTC is a ridiculous unit of account IRL. Or, rather, as appropriate for gauging the soundness of Bitcoin propositions as Beanie Babies are for gauging the soundness of Beanie propositions.

If this is still unclear, "Economic Majority" != "Those most invested in Bitcoin," those barely matter. Rational self-interest, for most, means maximizing *buying power,* which loosely translates to USD. By using USD as the unit of account, it becomes clear that economic majority is the fiat holders.

If the miners (or, rather, the 9 guys controlling 90% of the hashpower) are offered a few billion bucks to fork Bitcoin up de butt, do you really think they'd consult BTC hodlers? Assuming "rational [utilitarian] self-interest," that is?

TL;DR: fiat hodlers are the true economic majority in Bitcoin.
valiz

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

BTC trader

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:17:25 PM

Slowly, but surely, this governance will become more and more centralized, and it will reach the point where it would multiply the existing Bitcoins. Afterwards, it's over. Perhaps some other crypto will take it's place.
I suppose that I think that the governance of Bitcoin will become more decentralized over time, especially with increased adoption. Why do you think that the governance of Bitcoin will become more centralized? I do not have any reason to think that myself, obviously I think the opposite will happen.

At some point, these attempts to 'govern' Bitcoin, using populism, will produce hard forks (altcoins) strong enough to be considered Bitcoin.

I think Bitcoin is not governed by anyone and should not be. It will only become 'governed' once your hard fork attempts become successful. This 'governance' using populism would include a broad spectrum of people at first, but loosely manipulated by a group of interests. At the next hard fork, the group of interests will be stronger and the people left over to manipulate will be fewer and more ignorant. The group of interests at the center will use more advanced propaganda and the plebes will swallow it.

I'm sure you don't think there will be miraculous adoption after your hard fork. People are not waiting on the sidelines to jump onboard after the transaction fees drop from 0.0002 BTC to 0 BTC. Do you honestly believe that?

http://www.cointape.com/
Which fee should I use?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 60 satoshis/byte, shown in green at the top.
For the median transaction size of 339 bytes, this results in a fee of 20,340 satoshis.

Massive adoption after the massive 8 cents transaction fee gets out of the way?

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:18:22 PM

the tide is turning. Smiley

Only in your mind.

In reality, the community has rejected XT, Unlimited, and now "Classic". Your move.

Vires in numeris
hdbuck
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:22:18 PM

Only in your mind.

In reality, the community has rejected XT, Unlimited, and now "Classic". Your move.

BITCOIN ORIGINTONIC FTW!

VeritasSapere

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:27:22 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 04:40:07 PM by VeritasSapere

At some point, these attempts to 'govern' Bitcoin, using populism, will produce hard forks (altcoins) strong enough to be considered Bitcoin.

I think Bitcoin is not governed by anyone and should not be. It will only become 'governed' once your hard fork attempts become successful. This 'governance' using populism would include a broad spectrum of people at first, but loosely manipulated by a group of interests. At the next hard fork, the group of interests will be stronger and the people left over to manipulate will be fewer and more ignorant. The group of interests at the center will use more advanced propaganda and the plebes will swallow it.

I'm sure you don't think there will be miraculous adoption after your hard fork. People are not waiting on the sidelines to jump onboard after the transaction fees drop from 0.0002 BTC to 0 BTC. Do you honestly believe that?

http://www.cointape.com/
Which fee should I use?

The fastest and cheapest transaction fee is currently 60 satoshis/byte, shown in green at the top.
For the median transaction size of 339 bytes, this results in a fee of 20,340 satoshis.

Massive adoption after the massive 8 cents transaction fee gets out of the way?
If we do not increase the blocksize, then transactions will become much more expensive and unreliable, I do not think Bitcoin would even gain increased adoption under these circumstances. We have had almost exponential growth of transaction volume so far, I do not think it is right to cap this growth now, so early in Bitcoins development.

In regards to you thinking that Bitcoin is not governed by the people, I think that you are wrong. If it is possible to hard fork tomorrow because of the will of the economic majority then Bitcoin has a governance mechanism today, since that governance mechanism does exist now, that possibility exists now. I do not think that you can deny this fact, you will only be ignoring the reality by not acknowledging this truth. It is even self evident from your own statements.
VeritasSapere

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:36:21 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 05:45:51 PM by VeritasSapere

... The economic majority effects the price of Bitcoin. ...

I think your confusion lies in "Economic Majority" (as defined in Bitcoin Wiki) being a misnomer.

"Economic majority" only makes sense if we choose to go with BTC as the unit of account. But BTC is a ridiculous unit of account IRL. Or, rather, as appropriate for gauging the soundness of Bitcoin propositions as Beanie Babies are for gauging the soundness of Beanie propositions.

If this is still unclear, "Economic Majority" != "Those most invested in Bitcoin," those barely matter. Rational self-interest, for most, means maximizing *buying power,* which loosely translates to USD. By using USD as the unit of account, it becomes clear that economic majority is the fiat holders.

If the miners (or, rather, the 9 guys controlling 90% of the hashpower) are offered a few billion bucks to fork Bitcoin up de butt, do you really think they'd consult BTC hodlers? Assuming "rational [utilitarian] self-interest," that is?

TL;DR: fiat hodlers are the true economic majority in Bitcoin.
I disagree with the definition in the Bitcoin wiki, I have lost respect for that wiki after the censorship occurred on there. I define the economic majority more broadly, to represent the entire Bitcoin ecosystem. From exchanges, merchants, payment processors, holders, investors, users, wallet providers, full node operators and even the miners, among many more groups. Essentially I define the economic majority as the majority of economic participants on the network and their sum of collective influence. It is just another way of saying that the market rules Bitcoin and or that the people rule Bitcoin.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 05:07:06 PM

Only in your mind.

Ng1-f3

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 »
  Print  

Jump to: