Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 08:13:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1  (Read 397330 times)
bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 10:59:17 AM

What is the fix for nvidia 1080 on windows 7 64bit? I am getting .75MH/s, lol.

The fix is don't use Windoze.

Considering how much a handful of you kids kick and scream when stuff isn't released for Nix... I'm not to certain about that. Sorry that you have to witness a bug on Windows which pretty much everyone uses.

And no, using nix isn't a 'fix', just like reinstalling everytime something is broken isn't a fix either.

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
LeChuckDE

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 11:41:22 AM

Considering how much a handful of you kids kick and scream when stuff isn't released for Nix... I'm not to certain about that. Sorry that you have to witness a bug on Windows which pretty much everyone uses.

And no, using nix isn't a 'fix', just like reinstalling everytime something is broken isn't a fix either.

then stop crying and port the windows miner to actually drivers and hardware !

Linux is the better plattform for mining !
1. could be installed in headless mode, so that there isn't used any GPU Power for anything else then mining
2. more stable to use
3. free to use without any license costs
4. fully control over the hole system

adamvp

Activity: 1246
Merit: 708

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 12:31:44 PM

But I get better hashrate  on Windows :d

I am looking for signature campaign Wink pm me
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 02:14:45 PM

1. could be installed in headless mode, so that there isn't used any GPU Power for anything else then mining
2. more stable to use

Crying? You sir are crying about people using Win'doze'. Ethminer works natively in Windows. You should've seen people freaking out about SP asking people to run his miner in wine... even though it gets the same performance it would otherwise.

1. I run all my windows machines in headless mode.
2. It's not any more stable then a properly running Windows machine.
3. Time is money and having to google each and every variable because in order to do anything in Nix you have to know exactly the right command to use is a huge waste of time and money. I'm not going to employ someone to run a OS either. There is a reason Nix is relegated to doing background infrastructure where they actually employ people to use it.
3a. A lot of software isn't even made for nix. OCing is a huge PITA in nix in addition to monitoring the hardware outside of custom built packages that you just install and use, but have relatively little way of changing outside of programming the OS yourself (another huge waste of time and money).
4. To do what that I can't do right now? Recompile kernel and waste a bunch of time? Nix is a hobby OS or it's something you do as a job, it's not designed for the majority of people.

Don't push your elitist snob attitude while shoveling 'nix is better' crap. That's like people saying you don't get viruses on nix either... just like with Macs.  Nix is a waste of time and resources for the majority of people, which is why almost everyone who is mining is running WinDoze. If it was outright better people would switch.

Believe it or not, some people have used WinDoze and Nix... and can make informed opinions on the matter.

jimlite
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 03:29:34 PM

Brilliant! This is my main PC and gaming rig. I'm going to be using windows.

use windows , but use windows 10, there may be a fix already

also linux you need to use the server version not desktop, it give you more perf...
Will just upgrading to windows 10 make it work? Or what exactly is the "fix already"? Dload links for drivers/fix?

Binance, hottest/largest alt exchange, 2BTC daily no verification. https://www.binance.com/?ref=13309371
NEED TO RENT A RIG? All algos at http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=627

✵ Super FAST block times      ✵ Block Explorer right in the wallet!     ✵ Stealth Addresses     ✵ PoW/PoS hybrid  
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Ancient Money
for a New World
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Join the conversation!
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

TWITTER

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:01:22 PM

also linux you need to use the server version not desktop, it give you more perf...
Will just upgrading to windows 10 make it work? Or what exactly is the "fix already"? Dload links for drivers/fix?

it should fix it for etheruem and pascal, since we are all waiting for wddm to kick in, and they may be there already you can try with the last driver version, it's a driver problem, nothing can be done via mining software
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:27:00 PM

Amph doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't have a 1070 or any proof that anything works the way he's saying or it will be fixed.

Genoil (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 05:44:10 PM

Amph doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't have a 1070 or any proof that anything works the way he's saying or it will be fixed.

I know from a reliable source that a driver update will increase page size to 2MB on Win10 and this will fix the issue, just like it works on Linux. It is on the way.

ETH: 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4d
BTC: 1Nu2fMCEBjmnLzqb8qUJpKgq5RoEWFhNcW
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 06:22:05 PM

I know from a reliable source that a driver update will increase page size to 2MB on Win10 and this will fix the issue, just like it works on Linux. It is on the way.

So someone has already tested this and it works? Will there be a update for W7/8 or are they SOL? Does this also pertain to other memory hard algos, such as NeoS?

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 06:37:18 PM

So someone has already tested this and it works? Will there be a update for W7/8 or are they SOL? Does this also pertain to other memory hard algos, such as NeoS?

WHY on earth you don't try it yourself, you have a 1070, you just need to install windows 10 to see if it fix neos also, it's in your interest to do it...

win 7 and 8 are most likely fucked, but all the other algo should work good on win 10 too, so no reason to live in the past
vaulter

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 08:18:48 PM

Good news everyone - the driver for both Win 78/Win 10 insider preview should be available next week - on this driver all Pascal GPUs are able to do the same as on Linux on ether in Win 10 Insider preview without any change
But with Win 7/8 and other algos for win 10 insider preview devs need to take action
If any devs are interested in details PM me - Genoil is informed, it would be nice to fix neoscrypt - if anyone is up to the task - welcome
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 11:07:37 PM

WHY on earth you don't try it yourself, you have a 1070, you just need to install windows 10 to see if it fix neos also, it's in your interest to do it...

win 7 and 8 are most likely fucked, but all the other algo should work good on win 10 too, so no reason to live in the past

Why would I spend hours doing that when I can ask a question, see if anyone has any idea, and then weigh and balance what to do after it?

Think before you leap instead of leap before you think. People do other things other then mine and/or there are other things to do besides prototyping.

As I mentioned before, I REVERTED from W10 to W8.1 because of better hashrates on W7/8. It has nothing to do with living in the past and everything to do with making smart decisions.

Why do you even talk?

Good news everyone - the driver for both Win 78/Win 10 insider preview should be available next week - on this driver all Pascal GPUs are able to do the same as on Linux on ether in Win 10 Insider preview without any change
But with Win 7/8 and other algos for win 10 insider preview devs need to take action
If any devs are interested in details PM me - Genoil is informed, it would be nice to fix neoscrypt - if anyone is up to the task - welcome

Thank you for a well informed and informational post.

Does that mean developers need to tweak some stuff for it to work in W7/8?

Epsolyn does some work on CCminer, he might be interested. SP as well, but he is 'retired'.

Check: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=770064.0

Also not sure how much this will influence Lyra2v2, but check Nanashi's thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1519266

vaulter

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 12:52:49 AM

Epsolyn does some work on CCminer, he might be interested. SP as well, but he is 'retired'.

Also not sure how much this will influence Lyra2v2, but check Nanashi's thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1519266

Yes, devs need to modify the way algo access memory to improve things on memory dependent algos (eth and neoscrypt to my knowledge)
Pascal is 4k pte by default in win 7/8 (where maxwell is 128kb) but can be 2m pte (full memory coverage)
On win 10 current - pascal and maxwell on new drivers are 64kb but pascal will be 2m by default with next driver AND win 10 insider preview and further win 10 july update (which didnt help neoscrypt for some reason - i think i saw 900khs but couldnt repro it - maybe I missed some build or setting i was using)
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 05:50:19 AM

Why would I spend hours doing that when I can ask a question, see if anyone has any idea, and then weigh and balance what to do after it?

Think before you leap instead of leap before you think. People do other things other then mine and/or there are other things to do besides prototyping.

As I mentioned before, I REVERTED from W10 to W8.1 because of better hashrates on W7/8. It has nothing to do with living in the past and everything to do with making smart decisions.

Why do you even talk?

it's just about not being lazy man, and few hours? are you serious, i can reformat win 7,8,10 in few minutes and "reinstall" everything in another 5 min, since you don't have anything to install just unpack the miner and you are ready

i have everything ready under a big zip file...

Yes, devs need to modify the way algo access memory to improve things on memory dependent algos (eth and neoscrypt to my knowledge)
Pascal is 4k pte by default in win 7/8 (where maxwell is 128kb) but can be 2m pte (full memory coverage)
On win 10 current - pascal and maxwell on new drivers are 64kb but pascal will be 2m by default with next driver AND win 10 insider preview and further win 10 july update (which didnt help neoscrypt for some reason - i think i saw 900khs but couldnt repro it - maybe I missed some build or setting i was using)

it's strange that neos is not doing good, (even 900 isn't great) when on linx is already 1150, if that fix resolve the thing for etheruem it should solve neos also

something wrong there, not sure if it has to do with the miner code either, because on linx it just work out of the box
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 06:59:07 AM

Hmmm... wonder how much this will influence memory hard algos. I assume this will only bring them up to par and not improve their performance (pretty much every GPU is memory locked in Ethereum, where as not so much in NeoS). Importantly for a lot of people this should fix performance issues with 750ti in Windows?

Genoil (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 09:12:48 AM

Hmmm... wonder how much this will influence memory hard algos. I assume this will only bring them up to par and not improve their performance (pretty much every GPU is memory locked in Ethereum, where as not so much in NeoS). Importantly for a lot of people this should fix performance issues with 750ti in Windows?

The fix unfortunately doesn't apply to Maxwell

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 02:56:25 PM

i missed it in all these whining, but what is the best setup for multiple gpu? i'm using the -L single 0 because otherwise i'm experiencing a crash when leaving on default...
Genoil (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2016, 03:50:12 PM

i missed it in all these whining, but what is the best setup for multiple gpu? i'm using the -L single 0 because otherwise i'm experiencing a crash when leaving on default...

-L single 0 is the fastest but requires more system RAM than the others.

davembg

Activity: 340
Merit: 251

Smell the glove.

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 12:45:41 AM

2. more stable to use

Crying? You sir are crying about people using Win'doze'. Ethminer works natively in Windows. You should've seen people freaking out about SP asking people to run his miner in wine... even though it gets the same performance it would otherwise.

1. I run all my windows machines in headless mode.
2. It's not any more stable then a properly running Windows machine.
3. Time is money and having to google each and every variable because in order to do anything in Nix you have to know exactly the right command to use is a huge waste of time and money. I'm not going to employ someone to run a OS either. There is a reason Nix is relegated to doing background infrastructure where they actually employ people to use it.
3a. A lot of software isn't even made for nix. OCing is a huge PITA in nix in addition to monitoring the hardware outside of custom built packages that you just install and use, but have relatively little way of changing outside of programming the OS yourself (another huge waste of time and money).
4. To do what that I can't do right now? Recompile kernel and waste a bunch of time? Nix is a hobby OS or it's something you do as a job, it's not designed for the majority of people.

Don't push your elitist snob attitude while shoveling 'nix is better' crap. That's like people saying you don't get viruses on nix either... just like with Macs.  Nix is a waste of time and resources for the majority of people, which is why almost everyone who is mining is running WinDoze. If it was outright better people would switch.

Believe it or not, some people have used WinDoze and Nix... and can make informed opinions on the matter.

Good points. Glad it works for you.
If you have the money to actually BUY the OS, great.
I'm guessing most don't actually BUY copies of Windows, so there's that.

If you don't want to waste ~$100 for each machine, use the OS 99.9% of cryptocurrency's are developed ON and FOR.
Ethereum is no different. Windows support is an afterthought the the developers.

The complaint that Linux is harder to use or understand depends on the desire to learn.

Also, why do see TONS of Windows questions and very few Linux questions?
Is it maybe that the answers are more available to Linux users?
Just a thought...
bradleyjay

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 12:56:23 PM

Quote from: davembg
If you don't want to waste ~$100 for each machine, use the OS 99.9% of cryptocurrency's are developed ON and FOR.
Ethereum is no different. Windows support is an afterthought the the developers.

I'm not really following this whole argument, but your statement stuck out to me so I wanted to respond to it.

At least as far as mining goes, what OS the development of the cryprocurrency was done on is pretty irrelevant.  If we're talking about GPUs, then what's relevant is the driver that most efficiently shuffles the data back and forth from the GPU and commands (drives) the GPU.  These GPUs were designed mostly with gaming in mind and for a long time, windows as a platform massively outweighed any other OS in terms of user base.  So naturally the GPU manufacturers put most of their development effort into the Windows platform.  As a result, the Windows drivers were more mature and seemed to perform better for most people.  Lately that's changing as Linux and other OSs become more popular, but I just wanted to point out that what OS the Ethereum devs use(d) is pretty irrelevant here.
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: