Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:34:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1  (Read 397328 times)
bensam1231
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:06:12 PM

What is the fix for nvidia 1080 on windows 7 64bit? I am getting .75MH/s, lol.

The fix is don't use Windoze.

Considering how much a handful of you kids kick and scream when stuff isn't released for Nix... I'm not to certain about that. Sorry that you have to witness a bug on Windows which pretty much everyone uses.

And no, using nix isn't a 'fix', just like reinstalling everytime something is broken isn't a fix either.

then stop crying and port the windows miner to actually drivers and hardware !

Linux is the better plattform for mining !
1. could be installed in headless mode, so that there isn't used any GPU Power for anything else then mining
2. more stable to use
3. free to use without any license costs
4. fully control over the hole system

Crying? You sir are crying about people using Win'doze'. Ethminer works natively in Windows. You should've seen people freaking out about SP asking people to run his miner in wine... even though it gets the same performance it would otherwise.

1. I run all my windows machines in headless mode.
2. It's not any more stable then a properly running Windows machine.
3. Time is money and having to google each and every variable because in order to do anything in Nix you have to know exactly the right command to use is a huge waste of time and money. I'm not going to employ someone to run a OS either. There is a reason Nix is relegated to doing background infrastructure where they actually employ people to use it.
3a. A lot of software isn't even made for nix. OCing is a huge PITA in nix in addition to monitoring the hardware outside of custom built packages that you just install and use, but have relatively little way of changing outside of programming the OS yourself (another huge waste of time and money).
4. To do what that I can't do right now? Recompile kernel and waste a bunch of time? Nix is a hobby OS or it's something you do as a job, it's not designed for the majority of people.

Don't push your elitist snob attitude while shoveling 'nix is better' crap. That's like people saying you don't get viruses on nix either... just like with Macs.  Nix is a waste of time and resources for the majority of people, which is why almost everyone who is mining is running WinDoze. If it was outright better people would switch.

Believe it or not, some people have used WinDoze and Nix... and can make informed opinions on the matter.

Good points. Glad it works for you.
If you have the money to actually BUY the OS, great.
I'm guessing most don't actually BUY copies of Windows, so there's that.

If you don't want to waste ~$100 for each machine, use the OS 99.9% of cryptocurrency's are developed ON and FOR.
Ethereum is no different. Windows support is an afterthought the the developers.

The complaint that Linux is harder to use or understand depends on the desire to learn.

Also, why do see TONS of Windows questions and very few Linux questions?
Is it maybe that the answers are more available to Linux users?
Just a thought...

Time is still money, downtime is also money. If you can't fix a machine when it breaks because you have to spend uptine hours googling around for answers you're wasting mining time. It makes it all the worse when you have to take to forums, which if you're lucky you'll receive a condescending snotty answer within 24 hours... If you're unlucky... 24-72 and they wont give you a answer, they'll try to 'lead you to the answer' by dragging you through the mud and making you feel bad for being a no good muggle that has used Windows in the past, all the while talking about how superior Nix is which is currently broken for you and you're trying really fucking hard to fix. And then if you're lucky, maybe in 2-3 iterations of that (a week) they'll finally give you a one line answer (usually a command line sequence) which does everything you were looking for.

(Notice the responses and tone in this thread to people trying to fix WinDoze problems by Nix users? Yeah, now imagine trying to deal with people like that to fix problems with Nix while time and money are on the line.)

Linux is definitely 10,000% harder to use. 'Desire to learn' has nothing to do with usability and everything to do with being able to accomplish what you're trying to do in some sort of meaningful time frame. There is a reason there is a job in the market that caters to people that administrate Nix machines.

"Also, why do see TONS of Windows questions and very few Linux questions?"

Almost no one mines with Nix and the few that do are using prebuilt installs that someone else made, which they themselves can't fix and instead reinstall whenever something breaks.

Or we could go back to my first paragraph about people generally looking down upon anyone who wants to actually figure out how to make the OS work when it's broken... wonder if that hampers peoples desire to learn or use a OS.

I've used Nix. It's a PITA. IT's great for tiny niches it fulfills that makes the internet and backbone infrastructure run, but in this case there is no point in using it. This is also why a 'Steam Machine' will never take off. No one tried to make Nix as user friendly as WinDoze, they've only thrown shiny new UIs on top of it which are still next to worthless if everything isn't working properly.

There is definitely a market for a user friendly Nix OS that mimics the usability of WinDoze... meaning when something breaks, you can fix 99.999% of advanced problems with the UI and you never touch the CLI (blasphemy I know). But it will never happen because Nix users are so obsessed with their 'knowledge' of their OS they can never contemplate making that knowledge readily available for the plebeians that want to use their OS (who are obviously filthy WinDoze users).

Think how often you touch CLI when fixing a WinDoze problem. Yes, just like that.

This isn't even touching on compatibility, performance, and applications that aren't available for Nix.

When you put this all into context, regardless of whether or not you spend $100 per machine for WinDoze it's obviously well worth the money compared to the alternative. I'm too old to deal with know it all fuck twats that have no real interest in helping you fix shit and just want to make themselves feel good about using a OS almost no one gives a shit about and those that do are usually paid to do so. They're a waste of my time, my energy, and my money.

I buy private Nvidia miners. Send information and/or inquiries to my PM box.
davembg

Activity: 340
Merit: 251

Smell the glove.

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 03:55:13 PM

Quote from: davembg
If you don't want to waste ~$100 for each machine, use the OS 99.9% of cryptocurrency's are developed ON and FOR.
Ethereum is no different. Windows support is an afterthought the the developers.

I'm not really following this whole argument, but your statement stuck out to me so I wanted to respond to it.

At least as far as mining goes, what OS the development of the cryprocurrency was done on is pretty irrelevant.  If we're talking about GPUs, then what's relevant is the driver that most efficiently shuffles the data back and forth from the GPU and commands (drives) the GPU.  These GPUs were designed mostly with gaming in mind and for a long time, windows as a platform massively outweighed any other OS in terms of user base.  So naturally the GPU manufacturers put most of their development effort into the Windows platform.  As a result, the Windows drivers were more mature and seemed to perform better for most people.  Lately that's changing as Linux and other OSs become more popular, but I just wanted to point out that what OS the Ethereum devs use(d) is pretty irrelevant here.

The underlying libs for OS communication are most likely UEFI-based. Not really OS independent, but, they are meant to be.
Windows and Linux drivers are abstractions, of which I assume you are aware.
It really doesn't matter how efficient the Window's driver is, it will always be an abstraction of the kernel/UEFI routines exposed to the OS.
The real issue is the kernel, not the drivers.

The current state of Linux AMD/Nvidia drivers work just as well as, if not better than it's Windows counterparts.
There is also the added benefit of a much smaller memory and disk footprint; thus, increasing the efficiency and reliability, and reducing the cost of the host machine.

Every coin I've ever mined with a GPU has been significantly faster and more reliable using some form of Linux (vs Windows)
Some will say it's because I don't know how to use Windows properly; well, vice-versa.
I get the same or arguably BETTER mining results using an OS I don't have to pay for (or steal)

My point is still valid in the fact(s) that the cost-benefit is FAR greater when using Linux to mine Ethereum, as well as some other cryptos.
By supporting Linux and it's variants, I feel a little better not having to buy the Window OS for my miner instances.
davembg

Smell the glove.

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 04:05:50 PM

Considering how much a handful of you kids kick and scream when stuff isn't released for Nix... I'm not to certain about that. Sorry that you have to witness a bug on Windows which pretty much everyone uses.

And no, using nix isn't a 'fix', just like reinstalling everytime something is broken isn't a fix either.

1. could be installed in headless mode, so that there isn't used any GPU Power for anything else then mining
2. more stable to use

Crying? You sir are crying about people using Win'doze'. Ethminer works natively in Windows. You should've seen people freaking out about SP asking people to run his miner in wine... even though it gets the same performance it would otherwise.

3. Time is money and having to google each and every variable because in order to do anything in Nix you have to know exactly the right command to use is a huge waste of time and money. I'm not going to employ someone to run a OS either. There is a reason Nix is relegated to doing background infrastructure where they actually employ people to use it.
3a. A lot of software isn't even made for nix. OCing is a huge PITA in nix in addition to monitoring the hardware outside of custom built packages that you just install and use, but have relatively little way of changing outside of programming the OS yourself (another huge waste of time and money).
4. To do what that I can't do right now? Recompile kernel and waste a bunch of time? Nix is a hobby OS or it's something you do as a job, it's not designed for the majority of people.

Don't push your elitist snob attitude while shoveling 'nix is better' crap. That's like people saying you don't get viruses on nix either... just like with Macs.  Nix is a waste of time and resources for the majority of people, which is why almost everyone who is mining is running WinDoze. If it was outright better people would switch.

Believe it or not, some people have used WinDoze and Nix... and can make informed opinions on the matter.

The complaint that Linux is harder to use or understand depends on the desire to learn.

Just a thought...

Time is still money, downtime is also money. If you can't fix a machine when it breaks because you have to spend uptine hours googling around for answers you're wasting mining time. It makes it all the worse when you have to take to forums, which if you're lucky you'll receive a condescending snotty answer within 24 hours... If you're unlucky... 24-72 and they wont give you a answer, they'll try to 'lead you to the answer' by dragging you through the mud and making you feel bad for being a no good muggle that has used Windows in the past, all the while talking about how superior Nix is which is currently broken for you and you're trying really fucking hard to fix. And then if you're lucky, maybe in 2-3 iterations of that (a week) they'll finally give you a one line answer (usually a command line sequence) which does everything you were looking for.

(Notice the responses and tone in this thread to people trying to fix WinDoze problems by Nix users? Yeah, now imagine trying to deal with people like that to fix problems with Nix while time and money are on the line.)

Linux is definitely 10,000% harder to use. 'Desire to learn' has nothing to do with usability and everything to do with being able to accomplish what you're trying to do in some sort of meaningful time frame. There is a reason there is a job in the market that caters to people that administrate Nix machines.

Almost no one mines with Nix and the few that do are using prebuilt installs that someone else made, which they themselves can't fix and instead reinstall whenever something breaks.

Or we could go back to my first paragraph about people generally looking down upon anyone who wants to actually figure out how to make the OS work when it's broken... wonder if that hampers peoples desire to learn or use a OS.

I've used Nix. It's a PITA. IT's great for tiny niches it fulfills that makes the internet and backbone infrastructure run, but in this case there is no point in using it. This is also why a 'Steam Machine' will never take off. No one tried to make Nix as user friendly as WinDoze, they've only thrown shiny new UIs on top of it which are still next to worthless if everything isn't working properly.

There is definitely a market for a user friendly Nix OS that mimics the usability of WinDoze... meaning when something breaks, you can fix 99.999% of advanced problems with the UI and you never touch the CLI (blasphemy I know). But it will never happen because Nix users are so obsessed with their 'knowledge' of their OS they can never contemplate making that knowledge readily available for the plebeians that want to use their OS (who are obviously filthy WinDoze users).

Think how often you touch CLI when fixing a WinDoze problem. Yes, just like that.

This isn't even touching on compatibility, performance, and applications that aren't available for Nix.

When you put this all into context, regardless of whether or not you spend $100 per machine for WinDoze it's obviously well worth the money compared to the alternative. I'm too old to deal with know it all fuck twats that have no real interest in helping you fix shit and just want to make themselves feel good about using a OS almost no one gives a shit about and those that do are usually paid to do so. They're a waste of my time, my energy, and my money.

Ok, most of this is incoherent, angry drivel - I'll leave you to it.

If you ever decide you'd like to test and compare an Ubuntu install, there are a few detailed posts on how to build Genoil's EXCELLENT work using Ubuntu.
Also, I'd be glad to offer some advice on issues you may encounter - without a grumpy disposition or "time is money" attitude.

I've been told by wiser more agreeable people that time isn't actually money, knowledge/experience is.
I tend to agree.
giagge
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 07:38:54 PM

Nvidia GTX 980

Driver 368.39

Windows 10 64 bit HOME

ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6-pre

.bat : ethminer -U -ES -S daggerhashimoto.eu.nicehash.com:3353 -O  My Address BTC --cuda-grid-size 8192 --cuda-block-size 128

4.50 mh/s .

Dont work correctly .

Genoil (OP)

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 07:55:29 PM

Nvidia GTX 980

Driver 368.39

Windows 10 64 bit HOME

.bat : ethminer -U -ES -S daggerhashimoto.eu.nicehash.com:3353 -O  My Address BTC --cuda-grid-size 8192 --cuda-block-size 128

4.50 mh/s .

Dont work correctly .

It's Windows' fault. Run it on Linux on the same system (or Win 8.1 , 7) and you will get 20MH.

ETH: 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4d
BTC: 1Nu2fMCEBjmnLzqb8qUJpKgq5RoEWFhNcW
davembg

Smell the glove.

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 10:01:40 PM

Nvidia GTX 980

Driver 368.39

Windows 10 64 bit HOME

4.50 mh/s .

Dont work correctly .

It's Windows' fault. Run it on Linux on the same system (or Win 8.1 , 7) and you will get 20MH.

LOL - I don't know if it's true - but my 980ti does indeed outperform Windows 7 on Ubuntu.
Oddly enough, I do actually own a Win7 ultimate license - I take "liberty" moving the OS around mainly for testing.
Seems like I got around 25 with the 980ti using Ubuntu, sound about right?

bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 06:54:40 AM

2. more stable to use

Just a thought...

If you ever decide you'd like to test and compare an Ubuntu install, there are a few detailed posts on how to build Genoil's EXCELLENT work using Ubuntu.
Also, I'd be glad to offer some advice on issues you may encounter - without a grumpy disposition or "time is money" attitude.

I've been told by wiser more agreeable people that time isn't actually money, knowledge/experience is.
I tend to agree.

And that's what you get when you make a real meaningful argument a Nix fanboi can't defeat.

I already mentioned I've used Nix, changing flavors for fun (I've used a few) does not improve the underlying problems I've already outlined, beyond social (such as community) it includes having to fix problems you can't do without digging for CLI answers... sometimes some that aren't even documented or aren't readily available outside of specialists.

Yeah, nix users are always 'glad to offer advice' until they have to and they're no longer making a point out of it.

You can't earn experience and knowledge without spending time. It's inclusive. You can also pay for someone elses experience/knowledge... time. As I mentioned I'm not going to waste mine or employ someone to run a OS for me, when I have one that works just as good (if not better) just so I can stand on the other side of the fence and throw poo.

LeChuckDE

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 10:02:10 AM

2. more stable to use

Just a thought...

I tend to agree.

And that's what you get when you make a real meaningful argument a Nix fanboi can't defeat.

I already mentioned I've used Nix, changing flavors for fun (I've used a few) does not improve the underlying problems I've already outlined, beyond social (such as community) it includes having to fix problems you can't do without digging for CLI answers... sometimes some that aren't even documented or aren't readily available outside of specialists.

Yeah, nix users are always 'glad to offer advice' until they have to and they're no longer making a point out of it.

You can't earn experience and knowledge without spending time. It's inclusive. You can also pay for someone elses experience/knowledge... time. As I mentioned I'm not going to waste mine or employ someone to run a OS for me, when I have one that works just as good (if not better) just so I can stand on the other side of the fence and throw poo.

No, that's what you get when you whine, bitch, and moan about how you're too lazy to use something that will solve most of your issues just because you have to put work into it.

FULL ACK ! Linux is the better mining plattform .... stable since month and no GUI Overhead like windows ....
And it isn't hard to learn.... Needs only a little bit work in it !

I bet i could teach everyone with a 50 - 100 Line instruction to build a ethereum miner based on ubuntu 14.04 LTS / 15.10 that will give full performance !

btw. Linux will be ever the first place where new miners get released. Windows is only a port of them .... sometimes good sometimes bad, and this is never a developer fault. the initial design is and will be ever linux !
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 11:57:36 AM

No, that's what you get when you whine, bitch, and moan about how you're too lazy to use something that will solve most of your issues just because you have to put work into it.

Already covered this, switching to a new OS is not the same as fixing bugs. If something breaks in Nix and is working in Windows, are you therefore lazy if you don't switch to Windows? Your logic is completely flawed.

Not just that, but being lazy is a completely subjective quality. You can be lazy and still doing the most efficient, correct, and well thought out answer. In this case, just spinning my wheels will not help me (or anyone) in the long run and will definitely make more problems then it's worth.

Think before you leap, instead of leap before you think.

FULL ACK ! Linux is the better mining plattform .... stable since month and no GUI Overhead like windows ....

I bet i could teach everyone with a 50 - 100 Line instruction to build a ethereum miner based on ubuntu 14.04 LTS / 15.10 that will give full performance !

btw. Linux will be ever the first place where new miners get released. Windows is only a port of them .... sometimes good sometimes bad, and this is never a developer fault. the initial design is and will be ever linux !

Already covered this. Nix isn't any more stable then Windows if it's configured properly. Performance is very much on par, if not better sometimes (depending on what you're mining).

As I already mentioned, the few people using Nix to mine are using guides or preinstalls which they can't fix themselves if something breaks. That is a good way to screw yourself in the long run if you don't know how to troubleshoot your system... and with mining we all know you'll run into issues.

Have you noticed you're talking about a OS in terms of basically coding lines? How is that remotely user friendly or intuitive?

Some developers aren't even releasing binaries for nix... As I already mentioned, again, SP for instance didn't release code for Nix, he's not the only one... because almost no one uses it.

Ethereum is not the only coin, it's actually funny how many Eth babies spawned with this last spring run in Cryptos. It appears while they were growing in their hatchery they didn't notice mining has been around for years and is already quite mature outside of it.

LeChuckDE

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 01:57:26 PM

Already covered this, switching to a new OS is not the same as fixing bugs. If something breaks in Nix and is working in Windows, are you therefore lazy if you don't switch to Windows? Your logic is completely flawed.

Not just that, but being lazy is a completely subjective quality. You can be lazy and still doing the most efficient, correct, and well thought out answer. In this case, just spinning my wheels will not help me (or anyone) in the long run and will definitely make more problems then it's worth.

Already covered this. Nix isn't any more stable then Windows if it's configured properly. Performance is very much on par, if not better sometimes (depending on what you're mining).

As I already mentioned, the few people using Nix to mine are using guides or preinstalls which they can't fix themselves if something breaks. That is a good way to screw yourself in the long run if you don't know how to troubleshoot your system... and with mining we all know you'll run into issues.

Have you noticed you're talking about a OS in terms of basically coding lines? How is that remotely user friendly or intuitive?

Some developers aren't even releasing binaries for nix... As I already mentioned, again, SP for instance didn't release code for Nix, he's not the only one... because almost no one uses it.

Ethereum is not the only coin, it's actually funny how many Eth babies spawned with this last spring run in Cryptos. It appears while they were growing in their hatchery they didn't notice mining has been around for years and is already quite mature outside of it.

do you believe yourself what you are talking about ?
why should a dev should release a Linux binary? there are many deps that optimize the mining process(libraries), they are all different based on the system you are using (distro and version).
It is easy like shit to build them it self. and of course the github source IS linux c++ source ... also the nice gui applications that every windows user is using are based on QT, right a linux based GUI-Framework ...

and believe me all big miningfarms are on linux ...

cry silently bensam1231, there are many howtos how to set up a basic linux system like ubuntu 14.04 LTS, AMD Mining , NVIDIA Mining , and also CPU Mining.
but that have to do that you read and use them. only thing that you can is cry and moan at developer postings like "why it isn't working for me bla bla" they give the hard work mostly for free and when dev told you it is a OS Problem switch to an OS that hasn't this limitation than your are raging on them ....

My opinion you are a windows troll ....
By the way, I am using Unix, Linux and Windows. For each application area the right system ...

Mining is a Linux case no less no more ...
Only the kiddies are mining on windows and cry when performance is bad ...

EDIT: Snipped from SP_CCMINER README

This variant was tested and built on Linux (ubuntu server 14.04) and VStudio 2013 on Windows 7.

hmmm not supporting Linux .... hmmmm gotcha

all windows requirements are ports from linux to windows ... so say again linux is not the first choice
playjho

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 04:24:56 PM

Hello Genoil,

I've just noticed that the release link in page 1 points to the old 1.0.x versions and not the latest 1.1.x.
I suppose that the new link should be :

https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/tree/110/releases

Thank you for your amazing work !

davigotardo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 06:19:26 PM

Can I ask for best settings for r9 280x - 1020/6000mhz? thanx.
carlo_0000
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 08:56:09 PM

Can I ask for best settings for r9 280x - 1020/6000mhz? thanx.

you have to test on your own
each 380 i have  have different results and they not all on the same setting to have the best speed

but i see people overclock the memory but it has no effect because memory bus is not load at 100% (70 only)

and try with --cl-local-work 64 128 256   --cl-global-work from 8192 and up

i have some running at 16384,20480,26624 with --cl-local-work 64  for r9 380, asus, msi get some higher speed than sapphire & xfx
but there also difference with same model

gpu overclock has no effect (i try up to 1060) so i run them all at 1000  and memory 1400&1375 (i try run them all at 1400 but the asus did not like so i keep a stock 1375 anyways no difference in speed)

the asus stock speed is 970 the slowest  but it s the best card (+- 1.7mh more than xfx & sapphire what run stock at 1000

Trimegistus
Legendary

Activity: 1564
Merit: 1027

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 12:16:08 AM

Anyone testing the brand new RX 480?

vindyne8
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 01:20:16 AM

Love the latest dagless miner btw! Works fine on all the rigs but one, which throws nothing but rejects for an hour or more, while all the identical rigs around it are fine the entire time. Anyone ran into this, or have a solution? Thanks.
bensam1231
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 11:06:50 AM

Anyone testing the brand new RX 480?

Cryptominingblog has some initial benchmarks.

do you believe yourself what you are talking about ?
why should a dev should release a Linux binary? there are many deps that optimize the mining process(libraries), they are all different based on the system you are using (distro and version).
It is easy like shit to build them it self. and of course the github source IS linux c++ source ... also the nice gui applications that every windows user is using are based on QT, right a linux based GUI-Framework ...

and believe me all big miningfarms are on linux ...

cry silently bensam1231, there are many howtos how to set up a basic linux system like ubuntu 14.04 LTS, AMD Mining , NVIDIA Mining , and also CPU Mining.
but that have to do that you read and use them. only thing that you can is cry and moan at developer postings like "why it isn't working for me bla bla" they give the hard work mostly for free and when dev told you it is a OS Problem switch to an OS that hasn't this limitation than your are raging on them ....

My opinion you are a windows troll ....
By the way, I am using Unix, Linux and Windows. For each application area the right system ...

Mining is a Linux case no less no more ...
Only the kiddies are mining on windows and cry when performance is bad ...

EDIT: Snipped from SP_CCMINER README

This variant was tested and built on Linux (ubuntu server 14.04) and VStudio 2013 on Windows 7.

hmmm not supporting Linux .... hmmmm gotcha

all windows requirements are ports from linux to windows ... so say again linux is not the first choice

As with anything else, most developers cater to their user base... If the majority of users use Windows, why would they take time to release Nix libraries, especially if they're selling a product? Supply and demand.

It's 'easy to build them' if you have tons of experience. Just because you are experienced in nix does not mean everyone else is. Nix is not a user friendly operating system, as has been mentioned numerous times. It's basically like writing code... It's all CLI anytime you have to do anything remotely advanced and the operating system doesn't guide you through what you need to do. You need to look up the commands, be told them, or spend a lot of time with trial and error (just like with coding).

You shouldn't fight a operating system to get things to work. That shows bad design. You can say 'if that's the case, you're using it wrong'. Of course, being another user without a ridiculous amount of experience... that's what happens and the whole reason it's someones job to work on Nix.

When there is a BUG, YOU FIX THE BUG. Jesus, for how much you guys talk about nix and command line, you think you'd understand logic. When there is a bug with Nix, you don't switch to Windows do you? No. Or are you going to tell me now that Nix doesn't get bugs... just like it doesn't get viruses? (we covered this three posts up).

Nix is great at what it does, which is sit in a dusty box somewhere that NO ONE EVER TOUCHES. IE infrastructure, dedicated units, integrated solutions for industrial use... It's not a interactive OS you can work on.

"all windows requirements are ports from linux to windows ... so say again linux is not the first choice"

As to this, go read BradleyJs post. IT doesn't matter what it's developed on. Where something is built has nothing to do with where it's used or how it's used. You buy a vehicle, you can only drive it around the dealership lot? This is extremely flawed logic.

davembg

Smell the glove.

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 02:20:27 PM

Bitch please, I been here longer than you.

On top of this, MINERS happen to be boxes people don't touch often. Oh. and I use *nix on my desktop. And laptop. And server.

I touch mine ALL THE TIME.
But, that's a problem for another forum:)
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 02:33:00 PM

My niggas let's all chill and put the straps down, we are not at war with each other.
kenshirothefist

Activity: 457
Merit: 273

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 03:16:03 PM

I've done some benchmarking on Linux as well as Windows rigs with older drivers (15.xxx) and I observe much much lower speed for AMD GPUs in the 1.1.x branch compared to 1.0.x branch (1.1.x being like 50% slower). Anybody else observing this? Genoil, were there any OpenCL changes from 1.0.x to 1.1.x?
davembg

Smell the glove.

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 03:52:13 PM

I've done some benchmarking on Linux as well as Windows rigs with older drivers (15.xxx) and I observe much much lower speed for AMD GPUs in the 1.1.x branch compared to 1.0.x branch (1.1.x being like 50% slower). Anybody else observing this? Genoil, were there any OpenCL changes from 1.0.x to 1.1.x?

I've not seen this at all on Ubuntu 15.10 using Crimson 15.12, (1) 390x and (2) 390 XFX card and a little Gigabye AM1M-S2H board with 8GB of RAM.
My rates have remained constant (94MH) between the 1.0.x and 1.1.x series.

Here's my config line using 1.1.7, it's been running 100% of the time since Friday last -
ethminer -G --cl-local-work 256 --cl-global-work 16384 -SP 0 -SC 1 -S www.donkeypool.com:5082 -O 0x45B187fF84d70f0677dF2b76eeB15F6453aef6d0.amd

During the day, 8-5, I only run the 390x because it's hot and noisy. That one card does around 27MH.

AMD mining hashrates decrease precipitously with the increase in the DAG size; this is not likely to change significantly even with expert OpenCL optimizations (Wolf0).
I'd love to be wrong (Wolf0)Smiley
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 »
  Print  

Jump to: