Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:37:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Avalon ASIC] Batch #2 pre-Sale Thread  (Read 107606 times)
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:20:49 PM

If Yifu anyways has to take a plane to get back to NY to oversee the batch #2 pre-orders, he can just take a unit in his suitcase and show it to a relevant person in NY...

How about Thomas Van Riper?  Grin Grin Grin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:21:09 PM

Avalon themselves promised a demo. Never happened.

Avalon themselves have repeatedly said...just wait till there are 3rd party reviews. Now they're going to open the 2nd batch order window without even sending anyone a tracking number for a batch 1 unit.

If they'd have done what they said they'd do, I'd be fine with them. The current situation however is unacceptable. They're behaving just like the other vendors now.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

So, we have a problem. Avalon need the money before this weekend starts to place orders for the parts. For those unbelievers, let's hope Jeff receives his unit before batch #2 starts selling on EST 9:00 AM, January 31st, 2013.

Would you be able to send this out officially to all those who have subscribed to your mailing list?

i got an email yesterday to confirm the upcoming pre-order.

my initial reaction was to get my bitcoin wallet ready and prepare for camping out in the waitline, but since theres no proof of asic delivery yet theres no way im throwing $1500 into an unidentified, irretrievable bitcoin address

im not that stupid

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:30:07 PM

my initial reaction was to get my bitcoin wallet ready and prepare for camping out in the waitline, but since theres no proof of asic delivery yet theres no way im throwing $1500 into an unidentified, irretrievable bitcoin address

im not that stupid

But unfortunately I'm willing to bet there are 600 people who are.

Not that it's my business of course, but it still pains me to see dumb people do dumb things, especially when it's easily preventable.  Sad

michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:35:03 PM

But unfortunately I'm willing to bet there are 600 people who are.

I'm thinking that there isn't even really an upper limit.  They'll have 1,000 orders and be saying, "Only 300 left!  Place your orders now or you'll be left behind!"
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:46:39 PM

Not that it's my business of course, but it still pains me to see dumb people do dumb things, especially when it's easily preventable.  Sad

Can... can smart people do dumb things?
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 05:53:38 PM

Can... can smart people do dumb things?

Nope!  Cheesy

Tongue

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:03:53 PM

The only way for Avalon to prove that they have a legit product is to delay Batch #2 Orders until proof that their ASIC unit actually reaches Jeff and he can confirm the unit actually hashes on the network.

I am not the only person that is skeptical of the fact that they are going to be taking payments for Batch #2 without having any proof.

It would be very wise of Avalon to delay Batch #2 orders until there is Proof, in light of the bASIC project failing.

Delaying Batch#2 a couple of days is not going to hurt anyone. Delaying would only show that Avalon is legit.

I agree with all of this, but if there are people willing to take the risk and pay for batch #2 now, why should the buyers or Avalon wait?  If nobody is willing to take that risk, Avalon will have to do as you suggest.  But if sufficient numbers of people are willing to pay for batch #2 now, then Avalon can go ahead and people who want to be safer will just have to wait for batch #3 or later, right?  People who want to bungie jump without a tested cord shouldn't be told they have to wait until the cord is tested for people who want to be safer, IMO.
That's kind of my thinking as well... Avalon can post batch #2 for sale whenever they want, and people can order if they believe they are legitimate.  Anyone who wants to wait to see more proof can wait to see more proof.  It's a free market.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:28:56 PM

I agree with all of this, but if there are people willing to take the risk and pay for batch #2 now, why should the buyers or Avalon wait?  If nobody is willing to take that risk, Avalon will have to do as you suggest.  But if sufficient numbers of people are willing to pay for batch #2 now, then Avalon can go ahead and people who want to be safer will just have to wait for batch #3 or later, right?  People who want to bungie jump without a tested cord shouldn't be told they have to wait until the cord is tested for people who want to be safer, IMO.
That's kind of my thinking as well... Avalon can post batch #2 for sale whenever they want, and people can order if they believe they are legitimate.  Anyone who wants to wait to see more proof can wait to see more proof.  It's a free market.
The problem is that if they are a scam, this just proves that BTC people in general tend to be gullible and naive, swayed by the blindfolds of promised profits. There have been some pretty large scams in the past, and we don't need another giant one. It just hurts the Bitcoin economy in the end.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:32:25 PM

To say nothing of the fact that Avalon has not done what they said they'd do. No demo, no tracking numbers, no 3rd party review.

Yep, hurry up and open that batch 2 window...it's a free market. Undecided

Bugpowder

Activity: 394

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:33:24 PM

The problem is that if they are a scam, this just proves that BTC people in general tend to be gullible and naive, swayed by the blindfolds of promised profits. There have been some pretty large scams in the past, and we don't need another giant one. It just hurts the Bitcoin economy in the end.

The avalon scam already has happened.  People just don't realize it yet.  Avalon scam part #2 is happening now.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2058

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 06:37:20 PM

It would also be refreshing to see the community as a group start standing up for themselves and use the leverage of being a customer ($$$)
to wring as much information as required to understand what is going on to make a sensible and informed purchase.

Instead of "one for all, and all for one", we have the "free market". Where you are free to be scammed or win as you see fit.
A boycott should be done until all the cards are laid out on the table and THEN the community makes an informed decision.
But eh.. that is about as likely to happen as I getting a unicorn. Too much greed, not enough common sense.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:17:22 PM

True, it does hurt Bitcoin's image in the end.  I suppose I like the idea of people not being protected from their own stupidity though.  If people want to be stupid, they should be allowed to be stupid.  In the interest of protecting Bitcoin as a whole, I think it is prudent to warn people about the possibility of scamming, but ultimately, if Avalonggone wants to post up a second batch, and people want to buy it, they shouldn't be stopped.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 07:40:20 PM

So, we have a problem. Avalon need the money before this weekend starts to place orders for the parts.

[...]

The following is the no bullshit, no fine print terms of sales for Avalon batch #2.

• Bitcoin Only - Batch #2 of Avalon will only accept bitcoins. Only Bitcoin will allow us to move half a million USD in a few hours into places they are suppose to go to. [...]
  • No Refunds - [...] this allows proper financial management, eliminate back-orders and improve overall efficiency and workflow on how we work. How else did you expect us to produce a functional ASIC unit in the same length of time a competitor has been delayed?
  • No Proof - [...] we seldom will release any information. We will instead focusing more on killer features, some of which is already hidden in our unit. In this highly cutthroat competitive field, we do what we can to survive.

I applaud every potential customer to think over this carefully, and make the decision seem right to you, and only you. Although I must say: life isn't about "making sure" but rather "enduring the uncertainty".

[...]

It is hard not to get mad.

However, I must warn you, don't place trust in the wrong people and what they tell you; [...]
Be ready to take the spear to the chest as you were their spoke person. [...]

Re-read this and holy shit does it reak like a classic Nigerian swindle.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 07:54:33 PM

So, we have a problem. Avalon need the money before this weekend starts to place orders for the parts.

[...]

The following is the no bullshit, no fine print terms of sales for Avalon batch #2.

• Bitcoin Only - Batch #2 of Avalon will only accept bitcoins. Only Bitcoin will allow us to move half a million USD in a few hours into places they are suppose to go to. [...]
  • No Refunds - [...] this allows proper financial management, eliminate back-orders and improve overall efficiency and workflow on how we work. How else did you expect us to produce a functional ASIC unit in the same length of time a competitor has been delayed?
  • No Proof - [...] we seldom will release any information. We will instead focusing more on killer features, some of which is already hidden in our unit. In this highly cutthroat competitive field, we do what we can to survive.

I applaud every potential customer to think over this carefully, and make the decision seem right to you, and only you. Although I must say: life isn't about "making sure" but rather "enduring the uncertainty".

[...]

It is hard not to get mad.

However, I must warn you, don't place trust in the wrong people and what they tell you; [...]
Be ready to take the spear to the chest as you were their spoke person. [...]

Re-read this and holy shit does it reak like a classic Nigerian swindle.

A newly coined word 'Chinarian' comes to mind.

server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:14:01 PM

https://twitter.com/jgarzik

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 08:22:14 PM

So, we have a problem. Avalon need the money before this weekend starts to place orders for the parts. For those unbelievers, let's hope Jeff receives his unit before batch #2 starts selling on EST 9:00 AM, January 31st, 2013.

The spec is 6.6 ~ 6.7w per Gh/s. Speed is greater than 60Gh/s, batch size is 600, each unit is $1,500, payment gateway is provided by WalletBit, units will ship starting March 6th to April 5th, 2013.

Keep an eye on http://launch.avalon-asics.com as new information will be released on it every day until review happens.

• Bitcoin Only - Batch #2 of Avalon will only accept bitcoins. Only Bitcoin will allow us to move half a million USD in a few hours into places they are suppose to go to. This will also allow us to automate the order system. I am aware some EU and SA country will have importing issues due to customs, but I see a possibility for re-sellers to grow and take care of this problem.

WalletBit sure is an amazing company.

Avalon: When BTCX arrives, immediately convert to local currency and send to Company A for parts.
WB: Got it!
Avalon: Then, when BTCX arrives, immediately convert to local currency and send to Company B for parts.
WB: Can do!
Avalon: Time is of essence, for we only have a few hour window open due to CNY.
WB: We've done what you requested a many a times, so don't worry.
Avalon: Great! The remaining BTC send to a mixer of your choice with its final destination being 1...(redacted).
rchapoteau

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2013, 08:30:56 PM

Interesting.  Wierd if it is the package since they never got him a tracking #.  I guess we will wait a few more hours and see whats what.
Ascension

Activity: 457

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:38:08 PM

New tab opened in chrome so I can hawk the new tweets... Anyone else wasting away time at work anxiously awaiting the arrival of the first ASIC unit?
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2013, 08:42:32 PM

New tab opened in chrome so I can hawk the new tweets... Anyone else wasting away time at work anxiously awaiting the arrival of the first ASIC unit?

* slowly raises hand as he looks around the room

Mayyybbeeee...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: