Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:42:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Avalon ASIC] Batch #2 pre-Sale Thread  (Read 107616 times)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:18:08 AM

Especially as he admits BitSyncom paid him BTC 25 to post a review,

Nope, this is false, as stated in another thread.

The order is:

1. 25 BTC refund/donation received, with no mention of review
2. Months pass
3. Bumped to head of line
4. Review requested.  I was free to ignore the request, and just silently mine bitcoins.

But it seemed like the community would like to know these details, rather than me staying silent.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:21:08 AM

Yet you call it an infomercial, SellingMyGPUs, which is something that is totally bought and paid for by the client. This is what is called grasping at straws.
So what is the equivalent of product placement in todays social media? I don't have a facetube account so I'm not up to speed with current lingo

Nothing wrong with grasping at straws when you are trying to dig yourself out of a hole.
Beepbop

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:24:17 AM

Just a freebie with no strings attached?
Jeff could call the Avalon ASIC a complete pile of shit, and launch it into orbit, and Avalon would have no say in the matter. Yeah, just a freebie with no strings attached. Except it wasn't even free! Jeff paid full price for it, and was given a donation for his substantial work for bitcoin. It's nothing wrong with letting couple of respected third parties (Jeff and the foundation) be prioritized in the delivery. BFL is doing a lottery style split in their delivery, for a whole third of the batch. Avalon has let only two recipients ahead of the queue.

And don't forget that the standard is to give away or lend review units, not just to let people buy them off you.

Ignore for you.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 12:52:18 AM

I did find some of Jeff's notes a bit disconcerting though.

If that box works for 1 month with periodic restarts and then fries itself into a ball of molten plastic, Jeff will still have seen a very nice ROI that is hard to find anywhere else. He made almost 15BTC in less than a day, it's probably paid for itself already by now...

That may be true, but my concerns aren't with just his unit. My thought was that his unit would sort of foretell the problems with other units. Jeff and a number of others may be able to make quite the ROI, but there's a chance that there are a number of others who could receive a product that doesn't meet the standards currently set.

Why do you think that? I would guess it's the other way around; this is the unit that was put together in a panicked last minute rush with whatever parts were closest at hand in order to get it out the door. Future versions might be the ones with newer and better tested software, fans that all match, the right cord, the wifi antenna included, etc, etc.

I see your point, and it does make sense. The way I thought about it was sort of the opposite; ship out the best working product they had on hand so it could be reviewed...fully complete or not. The object would be to make the best impression before the start of the "no refunds" batch #2.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:23:42 AM

so what does it mean to use WalletBit as the payment processor?  do we need an account there?  do we have to submit BTC's directly to them to pay for the Avalons?
fimp

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 01:27:04 AM

so what does it mean to use WalletBit as the payment processor?  do we need an account there?  do we have to submit BTC's directly to them to pay for the Avalons?
Walletbit processes Bitcoin payments in a way similar to Bitpay. You start checkout, get a bitcoin address to send to, Walletbit receives payment, and notifies store.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:28:17 AM

Walletbit processes Bitcoin payments in a way similar to Bitpay. You start checkout, get a bitcoin address to send to, Walletbit receives payment, and notifies store.

checkout, i assume, is started from Avalon's website?  thus, we don't have to interact with WalletBit at all?
fimp

Activity: 304

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 01:31:13 AM

checkout, i assume, is started from Avalon's website?  thus, we don't have to interact with WalletBit at all?
I expect a Walletbit pop-up or page will appear as part of the checkout process initiated on the Avalon site.

superfastkyle

Activity: 437

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:31:39 AM

I really wish I was this Jeff character.

1. Make bets on betsofbitcoin
2. Post  irrefutable photographic evidence that asic does indeed exist
3. Profit
Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 01:40:01 AM

Yifu,
So, batch #2 units will have 6 slots for hashing modules.
1. When we have option to order additional modules?
2. Will there be an option to load units with all modules when we order ASIC's from batch #2, #3?
I think at least question #2 need to be answered before preorder starts, because perhaps additional funds in bitcoins need to be injected...
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 04:01:44 AM

Do ya think its really that time-critical?
How long after they accepted orders was the 1st Batch sold out?

First batch was sold out for 20 mins max
However there were some units available later, because some folks did not pay.

A lot of the batch 1 units (60-70%) sold quickly, but not all.  I think it may have even been 2 or 3 days until they all sold out.

That's after they fixed the technical issues and had them available to order on a working site.

Of course now that batch 1 is proven, interest may be stronger in #2.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
demkd

Activity: 242

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 05:15:41 AM

May be not. Shipping date is 03/06 - 04/05 and BFL coming too, I don't think it's a good idea to invest money in inferior product with higher price and avalon's developers surely understand this simple fact so we have this money rush... last time rush.
3-rd batch?.. no way without any improvements in tech process. Grin
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:14:11 AM

Batch two has been postponed as of now, stay tuned today for major updates. This gives a chance for more people to acquire bitcoins for the order, it will be at least 24 hours from now before order, but I do not expect the delay to extend past this week.

Any updates on this?
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:14:21 AM

Do ya think its really that time-critical?
How long after they accepted orders was the 1st Batch sold out?

First batch was sold out for 20 mins max
However there were some units available later, because some folks did not pay.

A lot of the batch 1 units (60-70%) sold quickly, but not all.  I think it may have even been 2 or 3 days until they all sold out.

That's after they fixed the technical issues and had them available to order on a working site.
Why does everybody have such a selective memory? Rewriting history? :-)

When they opened orders for batch #1 on the 23rd of September the website got slashdotted and ran out of hosting credits. They had to change to another host but the DNS change did not go well. They created a second DNS entry (from shop.avalon-asics.com to store.avalon-asics.com) but that created also problems as the DNS timeout/refresh was set too high. Some people could not access the new site, kept seeing the old one.

On the 23rd all 300 available were sold for the time the websites were accessible (literally 30 minutes) but not everybody completed their payment.

So on Oct 03 they offered those unpaid units again to the market and then the all got sold.
Gomeler

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 06:38:42 AM

May be not. Shipping date is 03/06 - 04/05 and BFL coming too, I don't think it's a good idea to invest money in inferior product with higher price and avalon's developers surely understand this simple fact so we have this money rush... last time rush.
3-rd batch?.. no way without any improvements in tech process. Grin

Not necessarily true. I'd purchase a unit from the 3rd batch if the price were cut in half* or so. Once their fixed costs are paid off it should cost very little to product additional units as they're just paying wafer/packaging costs and chassis/pcb/psu/shipping costs. Let the first two batch customers pay off their gear and then slash the price.

*- fraction pulled out of thin air. I'd have to do the maths but if it paid back in 6-9 months I'd be happy with lower efficiency.
Bowjob

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 08:56:12 AM

Mhm, considering getting one.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2013, 09:06:59 AM

Just please don't start selling them over the weekend! I'm gonna be out of town :X

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 09:12:05 AM

The order is:

2. Months pass
4. Review requested.  I was free to ignore the request, and just silently mine bitcoins.

But it seemed like the community would like to know these details, rather than me staying silent.

Jeff,

Thanks for sharing.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Tesla71

Activity: 302
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 10:06:42 AM

The order is:

2. Months pass

Yes, as of me I really thank you for sharing details, as all about Asics is more speculative yet (or has been for so long time) we need that infos out of first hand!

Thanks Jeff!
Beepbop

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 10:49:54 AM

Just please don't start selling them over the weekend! I'm gonna be out of town :X
Then it's time that you form a partnership with somebody who can order it for you. For example, you could buy the required amount of BTC - with some headroom - and instruct a local friend or aquaintance who's retired or otherwise available to do the purchase for you. You could pay him, or buy him a beer for the trouble.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: