Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:08:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Avalon ASIC] Batch #2 pre-Sale Thread  (Read 107620 times)
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:05:37 PM

Well. This is certainly not good press for walletbit.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:44:44 PM

Avalon should have just done an auction format.  Give people a few days to place bids, using 2 of 3 escrow to lock in coins, then take the top 600 bids.  They could have a per-customer (shipping address?) limit if they wanted to ensure that the units were spread out.

That would have been nice.  And as long as they are evenly distributed -- perhaps 3 per postal code + IP address location, or somesuch.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:46:00 PM

the tradein option -- the square on the right with the nice Lancelot blue PCB picture -- just vanished

I'm not surprised, I'm not sure how you can take orders for tradeins without proof that you own the devices. It doesn't make sense to have an "everyone for himself" trade-in order process. Because people that don't own Icarus or Lancelot devices would just use it to abuse the ordering process.
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:54:11 PM

BitSyncom: any updates on when you will try to reopen the site for remaining units?
freeman

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 07:55:39 PM

Avalon should have just done an auction format.  Give people a few days to place bids, using 2 of 3 escrow to lock in coins, then take the top 600 bids.  They could have a per-customer (shipping address?) limit if they wanted to ensure that the units were spread out.

That would have been nice.  And as long as they are evenly distributed -- perhaps 3 per postal code + IP address location, or somesuch.

Spreading them around would be a good idea (what's good for bitcoin is good for mining hardware vendors).  If they wanted to do a fixed price then they could have generated a payment address for each interested party.  Email people those addresses with instructions (where to associate shipment details with that address, exchange rate, tell them to disclose a refund address).  Pick the first 600 to make it into the blockchain.  In the case of ties, refund.

Regarding refunds, I'd like to know how they intend to refund when walletbit didn't ask for any refund address.  The bitcoin protocol is one direction but it seems to me that it would be a very good idea to get and address you can refund to in the case of epic meltdowns like today.
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Spreading them around would be a good idea (what's good for bitcoin is good for mining hardware vendors).  If they wanted to do a fixed price then they could have generated a payment address for each interested party.  Email people those addresses with instructions (where to associate shipment details with that address, exchange rate, tell them to disclose a refund address).  Pick the first 600 to make it into the blockchain.  In the case of ties, refund.

Regarding refunds, I'd like to know how they intend to refund when walletbit didn't ask for any refund address.  The bitcoin protocol is one direction but it seems to me that it would be a very good idea to get and address you can refund to in the case of epic meltdowns like today.

All orders for incorrect amounts will be fully refunded.

WalletBit will return these funds to the Bitcoin addresses they were sent from. These units will be restored to the sales queue. At a time of Avalon's choosing they will re-open sales for these remaining units. All orders processed at the correct exchange rate will still be honored.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 08:50:00 PM

When can I order? It would have been good to let people know to sign up for a wallet bit account first and open the store to let people get the WordPress account. I imagine things would have went much smoother.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 08:58:36 PM

When can I order? It would have been good to let people know to sign up for a wallet bit account first and open the store to let people get the WordPress account. I imagine things would have went much smoother.

People had several days notice regarding Batch 2 orders and the time was even pushed back a couple of days.  It was also known that WalletBit was going to be the payment processor.

There's a lot to be critical of regarding how Batch 2 ordering actually went, but lack of notice about the sale time and who the payment processor was aren't among those things.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:03:40 PM

WalletBit will return these funds to the Bitcoin addresses they were sent from.

That's amazingly stupid and will lead to another round of glorious drama.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:08:09 PM

People had several days notice regarding Batch 2 orders and the time was even pushed back a couple of days.  It was also known that WalletBit was going to be the payment processor.

There's a lot to be critical of regarding how Batch 2 ordering actually went, but lack of notice about the sale time and who the payment processor was aren't among those things.

I think the complaint is that there was no mention of needing either of these accounts.  For example, I don't need an account with bit-pay unless I'm a merchant.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:12:44 PM

Seems like the correct thing to do. The orders were so screwed up, it was obvious. Why would someone send .07 BTC for a $1499 ASIC, I know bitcoins are worth a bit but wow. The normal reaction upon seeing this glaring error is to return to the order website to make sure everything is normal. WalletBit's payment page was horrible. It gave no inclination that it knew who you were or what you were ordering. Using these messed up orders as placeholders opens the door for a bunch of other bullshit. Oh I can hold 3 $1499 units with .15 BTC? LOL.

I'm talking about the "refunding to the adress the BTC were sent from". THIS is going to lead to drama, because there's going to be a bunch of dudes that sent their BTC directly from MTGox etcetera.
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 09:16:14 PM

Seems like the correct thing to do. The orders were so screwed up, it was obvious. Why would someone send .07 BTC for a $1499 ASIC, I know bitcoins are worth a bit but wow. The normal reaction upon seeing this glaring error is to return to the order website to make sure everything is normal. WalletBit's payment page was horrible. It gave no inclination that it knew who you were or what you were ordering. Using these messed up orders as placeholders opens the door for a bunch of other bullshit. Oh I can hold 3 $1499 units with .15 BTC? LOL.

I'm talking about the "refunding to the adress the BTC were sent from". THIS is going to lead to drama, because there's going to be a bunch of dudes that sent their BTC directly from MTGox etcetera.

If your payments were made from an address you don't control (ie MTGox) please get in contact with WalletBit support. All incomplete orders will be refunded and we want to make sure they are processed correctly. Please make sure to include your order and payment details.

Once again - IF YOU DO NOT CONTROL THE BITCOIN ADDRESS YOU MADE PAYMENT FROM PLEASE CONTACT WALLETBIT SUPPORT

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 09:34:19 PM

FYI the site is back up. It says Avalons outright are out of stock, but trade-ins, which are not factored as part of the 600 limit for batch 2, are available.
http://store.avalon-asics.com/?wpsc-product=avalon-asic-trade-in

404 Page not found - Does it mean that the trade-ins option has been completely removed from the site? Is this the correct URL?

I wanted to trade-in, but the "Get Credit" button at http://launch.avalon-asics.com (which you were supposed to click for trade-ins) has never done anything, even right at the time the non-trade-in became available. It just makes the page scroll to the top.

So instead I was forced to order a non-trade-in Avalon Undecided

What was people's experience for those who order the trade-ins? What page did you browse to to order?
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 09:39:33 PM

With what I suspect is cookies messing up on the Wordpress installation (given people are seeing other people's baskets), I hope they have some way of linking payments to the correct baskets :\

I'm saving this, because it's too delicious.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 09:54:53 PM

Ok.. they failed to make 38 transfers (sofar) what a fuckup... Shocked      https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140716.0   

What if 600 units t be sold at ones..what a nightmare but he..another good lesson for the future..mistakes make u learn so..  Wink

And there are more then enough units left when they sorted things out next time pre sales opens....

COINDER
COINDER
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:02:52 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2013, 10:23:38 PM by Bogart

<tinfoil>

OMG, look, the lady on the http://walletbit.com/ page is wearing a butterfly earring!

</tinfoil>

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 10:36:51 PM

someone paid for my order of 2.. so nice of them.. love those cookies Smiley

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:40:45 PM

For the daredevils that paid the small amount earlier today and want to pay the full amount: check your browser history of earlier today for a link to bitwallet which contains https: // walletbit.com / pay ? token= (obviously without the spaces) and open that page again. You can pay the full amount and then prey....

No guarantees from my side, so don't shoot me if it fails!!!

I did it and I got the your paid BC 229 to Avalon confirmation page from walletbit and made a receipt:

Please wait, generating.
Item total 229.48540702 BTC
TOTAL 4,495.49 USD
Transaction 0b00c37f145fc7ebbe0626c99...
Time 11:23:35PM 02/02/2013

Then going back to the avalon side gave me store page without any further form to fill in.

AGAIN: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK !!

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
wknight
Legendary

Activity: 889

Bitcoin calls me an Orphan

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2013, 10:43:42 PM

I wouldnt suggest making any attempts right now. Word has it.. all will be refunded.

Mining Both Bitcoin and Litecoin.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 02, 2013, 10:45:25 PM

Saw a 'place holder' product appearing. By the time my deposit made it to WalletBit the checkout isn't working and the 'place holder' disappeared + lost the WalletBit fees.

FML what a mess.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: