Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:25:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL: Chips have shipped, on their way to US  (Read 25575 times)
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

What's not clear is how any slip in the bumping facility schedule will affect the other steps.  Josh said they'd give people at least 7 days notice to ship back their FPGAs, so that should happen in the next couple of days if they're going to meet the 22 February target date.

I'm guessing that they're waiting for a chip to get to an engineer to perform functional tests.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Evan

Activity: 507
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:12:47 PM

What's not clear is how any slip in the bumping facility schedule will affect the other steps.  Josh said they'd give people at least 7 days notice to ship back their FPGAs, so that should happen in the next couple of days if they're going to meet the 22 February target date.

I'm guessing that they're waiting for a chip to get to an engineer to perform functional tests.

I will do a destructive analysis on this as soon as someone gives me a failed chip Smiley

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 04:39:14 PM

Josh just updated his status thread: The chips have arrived at the bumping facility.

Bumping this to the new page so people can see it if they missed it.

The Bumping Facility should start processing the chips on the 14th.  Whether that's due to a queue delay or something else, who knows.  But they should be in and out soon enough and onto the next step.

Thank you.  It is indeed confirmed on their update page.  Thanks Josh.

Josh's recent posts have said that the earliest the bumping facility will process BFL's order is 14 February. 

We will hopefully hear from the bumping facility tonight or tomorrow with regards to them, but I do not expect any movement on it until the 14th at the earliest.

According to the timeline, FPGA tradeins will be notified when the final unit assembly and testing is underway.
RoboCoder

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

Save A Life, Adopt a Pet Today!

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2013, 05:42:57 PM

Because I am a complete noob when it comes to the low-level hardware production process...

I know that multiple chips are "placed" on a wafer.

What exactly is done at the bumping facility - is this the part where they put the chips in a "package" with the pins? or am i way off.

I would really like to understand the process so i can understand what the timeframe might be.

Thanks!
SchmalzTech

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Because I am a complete noob when it comes to the low-level hardware production process...

What exactly is done at the bumping facility - is this the part where they put the chips in a "package" with the pins? or am i way off.

I would really like to understand the process so i can understand what the timeframe might be.

Thanks!

From what I understand, it is where they place solder (or similar substance) bumps on the pads on the edges of the silicon to prepare the die for packaging the chips.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 08:04:34 PM

The arrival of ASICs will effectively lock many people out of mining and that has implications for Bitcoin as a whole.

True. I won't be mining (bitcoins) any time soon, and nor do I have any plans to.

All the shady ASIC companies can go f themselves as far as I'm concerned.

I don't even know why I still hang out in this sub forum. At one point I had 7 SC singles pre ordered, but they have long since been refunded.

I guess I just enjoy the soap opera..
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 13, 2013, 11:52:46 PM

Thanks!

From what I understand, it is where they place solder (or similar substance) bumps on the pads on the edges of the silicon to prepare the die for packaging the chips.
kev7112001

Activity: 479

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:04:41 AM

well I ordered a BFL SC it added $114 tax on top of the 1299 but when I checked out it was not added is this a problem?

MCXNOW MODERATOR
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 04:11:31 AM

well I ordered a BFL SC it added $114 tax on top of the 1299 but when I checked out it was not added is this a problem?

No, it's not a problem - it does that for everyone.  Be aware, though, that if you're not in the US you may have to pay taxes/duty to collect your unit when it arrives in the destination country.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
kev7112001

Activity: 479

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 05:08:38 AM

No, it's not a problem - it does that for everyone.  Be aware, though, that if you're not in the US you may have to pay taxes/duty to collect your unit when it arrives in the destination country.

I'm in the US so Im good then

MCXNOW MODERATOR
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 12:30:57 PM

No, it's not a problem - it does that for everyone. 

Not everyone. I haven't paid a tax on my orders, only $34 shipping. I've paid through both PayPal and Bitcoins...so maybe that makes a difference?

polrpaul

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Love the Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2013, 02:23:03 PM

Not everyone. I haven't paid a tax on my orders, only $34 shipping. I've paid through both PayPal and Bitcoins...so maybe that makes a difference?

I think you misread Korbman - "it does that for everyone" meaning nobody pays for tax upon checkout.

BTC.sx - Leveraged Bitcoin Trading. Simply use Bitcoin to take advantage of a rising or falling Bitcoin price.
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 02:28:24 PM

I think you misread Korbman - "it does that for everyone" meaning nobody pays for tax upon checkout.

It seems I have! Oops haha. Oh well, that's what I get for getting on the forums right after I wake up Tongue

2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 02:47:37 PM

so. since i avoid the bfl forums - how do i get that discount voucher?
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 03:55:30 PM

If I recall correctly, BFL will email the vouchers out.

In other BFL forum news:
12 Feb 2013

The chips have been delivered by FedEx to the bumping facility. We will hopefully hear from the bumping facility tonight or tomorrow with regards to them, but I do not expect any movement on it until the 14th at the earliest.

But... they were here and waiting, so the biggest hurdle in terms of delivery has been achieved.

bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
February 14, 2013, 06:24:08 PM

When you change your own location (State) to something other than Kansas, it will remove the tax from the listing.

BFL will include the voucher with the equipment shipment. So it will go out with your original order.
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

"14 Feb 2013 Update

I am told that the bumping facility has started working on our order as of yesterday(!). Although I'm seeking clarification as to whether that means the actual bumping process has started or if they are still working on the NRE for the bumping, to be completed sometime between today and Monday. When I have clarification on this, I will make another post... but in either case, the chips are at the bumping facility and the bumping facility is working on them in some fashion.

I have no updates on the timeline as of yet until I hear back as to when the bumping will be complete."

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status.html

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:17:57 AM

I am just curious what the next excuse is...

"Bumping facility was robbed only leaving the boxes the chips came in and some mysterious fans that were placed in the boxes."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 08:09:26 AM

"Bumping facility was robbed only leaving the boxes the chips came in and some mysterious fans that were placed in the boxes."

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd go with something like "The mean bad government confiscated all our chips."  That would explain why they have zero which can be proven to work, and also would deflect rage away from their poor abused selves.

An added advantage is that they could also string 'customers' along for a few more month with stories about how their lawyers are about to make a breakthrough in return of the property and so forth.  I think that most of BFL's 'customers' could probably be kept on the line for years judging by the past performance.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 09:15:18 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'd go with something like "The mean bad government confiscated all our chips."  That would explain why they have zero which can be proven to work, and also would deflect rage away from their poor abused selves.

An added advantage is that they could also string 'customers' along for a few more month with stories about how their lawyers are about to make a breakthrough in return of the property and so forth.  I think that most of BFL's 'customers' could probably be kept on the line for years judging by the past performance.

<Before I read post 112, I wish to reply to this, post 111.>

With "so forth" consisting of Mt Gox safeguarding the chips, releasing them once the original true owners have been identified after providing proper paperwork.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: