Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:07:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: - AURORACOIN -  (Read 136765 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
god.aur

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 04:04:13 PM

Let's say the pirate party does form a coalition or outright wins majority seats, what would be considered a reasonable time frame for Bitcoin and Auroracoin to become legal tender if they announced that was their first priority and the process for such a thing to be enshrined in law? 6 months, a year?

The Icelandic regulatory framework is gradually becoming clearer already now, largely thanks to the work of the Auraráð Foundation (Auroracoin Foundation Iceland). We already have preliminary rulings to the effect that digital currencies are treated equally to other currencies for transaction and trading purposes.

However, Iceland is also bound by the rulings of the European Court of Justice as part of the European Economic Area. Most importantly, the ECJ Hedqvist case from October 2015 pretty much puts digital currencies on equal footing with traditional currencies:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-22/bitcoin-virtual-currency-exchange-is-tax-free-eu-court-says-ig21wzcd

With only the slightest sliver of reservation it can be said that digital currencies are already legal tender in Europe even if they're not sovereign money. (In the US, however, the situation is entirely different, but that's another story.)
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 09:18:59 PM

Thanks for all the valuable info you posted above.

Allow me a remark on one thing, though:

With only the slightest sliver of reservation it can be said that digital currencies are already legal tender in Europe even if they're not sovereign money.

Your "slight sliver of reservation" looks like "strong doubt" on my side: "legal tender" usually refers to "anything which when offered in payment extinguishes the debt.".

This is not the case for bitcoin. It's also not the case for gold bars or houses or our beloved Auroracoin.

The german bundesbank offers another definition:

Legal tender is the means of payment that nobody can refuse to settle a monetary obligation without experiencing legal disadvantages.

For the case of germany they state some legal fact:

In Germany, banknotes denominated in euro are the sole unrestricted legal tender.

Not even coins are legal tender in germany without restriction. The obligation to accept them is limited.

Surely one can refuse to accept cryptocurrency for settlement of debt. Otherwise I could pay my taxes in potcoin, which would be outrageous, no?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
AngryDwarf

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 10:05:07 PM

I suppose there is a difference between 'legal tender' and 'accepted tender'. For example, I have paid my tax liabilities by cheque in the past, even though that is not considered 'legal tender'.  Huh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
god.aur

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 10:27:13 PM

To make things even more convoluted, anybody can issue their own euros (for example), simply by writing an IOU. This is effectively what banks do, making their version of the currency (theoretically) less valuable than euros issued by the ECB (sovereign money), simply because the private banks are less reliable issuers.
AngryDwarf

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 10:39:16 PM

To make things even more convoluted, anybody can issue their own euros (for example), simply by writing an IOU. This is effectively what banks do, making their version of the currency (theoretically) less valuable than euros issued by the ECB (sovereign money), simply because the private banks are less reliable issuers.

Both yes and no. I could write an IOU for a thousand euro's on one piece of paper, and write a 1000 euro's on another piece of paper, but I doubt anyone would accept the latter. But yes, this is what banks do with fictional reserve banking. They credit one account with a 1000 euro's, and debit another account for a 1000 euro's at the same time.

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
leigh2k14
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:02:41 AM

Looks like the Pirate Party are 3rd at this point, what is the official time for the end of the vote?

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/elections-2016-results/

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

Token Sale Starts on [ 12 October ]
[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

AngryDwarf

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 09:15:25 AM

Looks like the Pirate Party are 3rd at this point, what is the official time for the end of the vote?

When the votes are officially counted! Expected early today though.

leigh2k14
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 05:17:15 PM

Coalition in the pipeline?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄          ▄▄▄                   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                 ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄      ▄▄▄
████████████▄       ███                ▄███████████▄            ▄██████████      ███     ███▀
███     ▀▀███▌      ███               ████▀     ▀████         ▄███▀▀     ▀▀      ███    ███▀
███       ███▌      ███              ███▀         ▀███       ▄███                ███   ███
███     ▄███▀       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███  ███
██████████▀         ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███ ███
███▀▀▀▀▀████▄       ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐██▌                 ███  ███     ███           ███
███      ▀███▌      ███             ▐██▌           ▐██▌     ▐███                 ███   ███     ███         ███
███       ███▌      ███              ███▄         ▄███        ███                ███    ███     ███       ███
███     ▄▄███▌      ███               ████▄     ▄████         ▀███▄▄     ▄▄      ███     ███▄    ███▄   ▄███
████████████▀       ███████████        ▀███████████▀            ▀██████████      ███      ███▄    ███▄ ▄███
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                  ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀     ███▄███
                                                                                                    ▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

apcoins

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 05:55:26 PM

Coalition in the pipeline?

Nothing at the moment, only news are the president that holds the power to assign coalition discussions will talk first to the Independence party that got the highest votes
adamastor

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 06:51:54 PM

The Pirates will likely be frozen out of a coalition.
leigh2k14
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:08:06 PM

Independence party have 21 seats.

Left Green Movement have 10 seats.

Majority vote in the last government was 38, i'm assuming it's gonna be roughly the same.

That does leave them short of seats.

The Pirate Party gained 10 seats, do you think it's possible for a 3 party coalition? they would be short on a majority vote with 31 seats.

▀███▀
                                                                                                     ▀█▀

[ PRESALE IS OPEN ] ●●●

adamastor

Activity: 403

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 08:17:34 PM

Independence party have 21 seats.

Left Green Movement have 10 seats.

Majority vote in the last government was 38, i'm assuming it's gonna be roughly the same.

That does leave them short of seats.

The Pirate Party gained 10 seats, do you think it's possible for a 3 party coalition? they would be short on a majority vote with 31 seats.

I don't see the Pirates being part of any coalition.  More work needed.
Trukkur

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 01:37:05 AM

I think it's good that the Pirate party didn't win this election. I'm an Pirate party supporter my self
Winning the next one will be better Smiley

There are many things that can go wrong here in the next 4 years and it would all been blamed on the Pirate party. because many people here fear the Pirate party, guess who? Cheesy

I'm 25 years old and my generation is getting really tired of the corruption here, more and more young Icelanders are moving out of the country thanks to high interest rates on loans
and over priced apartments. The health care system is been cut down, the police and the education. the food price is going up, they increase tax on food from 7% to 11% so they can decrease tax on
electronics :/  they say that the purchasing power is up and every one is happy, nothing has happened and everything is on the right track. except they are for getting the young people, old people, the disabled people, the police, the whole health care system and education system.

it will be interesting to see how they are going to fix all these problems when they don't even want to pay their taxes
LemonAndFriesOne
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 02:03:35 AM

I think it's good that the Pirate party didn't win this election. I'm an Pirate party supporter my self

There are many things that can go wrong here in the next 4 years and it would all been blamed on the Pirate party. because many people here fear the Pirate party, guess who? Cheesy

I'm 25 years old and my generation is getting really tired of the corruption here, more and more young Icelanders are moving out of the country thanks to high interest rates on loans
and over priced apartments. The health care system is been cut down, the police and the education. the food price is going up, they increase tax on food from 7% to 11% so they can decrease tax on
electronics :/  they say that the purchasing power is up and every one is happy, nothing has happened and everything is on the right track. except they are for getting the young people, old people, the disabled people, the police, the whole health care system and education system.

it will be interesting to see how they are going to fix all these problems when they don't even want to pay their taxes

I see you have the similar problems as in the USA, that 1950s generation sure don't want to let us run the world.

Babyboomers messed up the world, blame us, and now we have to fix it so they can enjoy their retirement  Angry
dinobotta

Activity: 248
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 10:29:18 AM

It will take a few days to find out what coalition will be formed.

There will have to be 3-5 parties in coalition to create any government in Iceland. We have had a history of two parties creating a coalition government but 3 or more party government has never held and always crumbled.

Most likely results are a 1 person majority of (Indipendance party, Regeneration and Bright Future) or 3 person majority (Pirates, Regeneration , Bright Future, Left-Green, Social Democratic)

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto
RJF19

Activity: 420

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 06:58:31 PM

I see you have the similar problems as in the USA, that 1950s generation sure don't want to let us run the world.

Babyboomers messed up the world, blame us, and now we have to fix it so they can enjoy their retirement  Angry

Interesting considering that "1950's generation" invented the technology you are using to make that statement. The problem is the senile politicians and bankers who can barely get out their easy chairs telling the rest of us how things need to be done. I'm part of the 50's generation and I, and many of my friends and relatives don't like the current state of affairs any more than you do. I was part of the "digital revolution" and still am. The problem is not us, its you and us and everyone because if we could all settle on one course of direction, the world would move toward it. But that would hinder individual thought and everyone's "right" to be anything they want no matter how ridiculous, offensive, stupid or downright dangerous that might be.

It's the fact that we are so splintered in our views and believes that there is little to no progress being made on many fronts. The guys from the 40's still run the governments for the most part, you know, the ones they wheel in wearing a bib....

PS: Not many of us are set to "enjoy our retirement" as most of us won't be able to afford to retire.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
LemonAndFriesOne
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 07:31:37 PM

Interesting considering that "1950's generation" invented the technology you are using to make that statement. The problem is the senile politicians and bankers who can barely get out their easy chairs telling the rest of us how things need to be done. I'm part of the 50's generation and I, and many of my friends and relatives don't like the current state of affairs any more than you do. I was part of the "digital revolution" and still am. The problem is not us, its you and us and everyone because if we could all settle on one course of direction, the world would move toward it. But that would hinder individual thought and everyone's "right" to be anything they want no matter how ridiculous, offensive, stupid or downright dangerous that might be.

It's the fact that we are so splintered in our views and believes that there is little to no progress being made on many fronts. The guys from the 40's still run the governments for the most part, you know, the ones they wheel in wearing a bib....

PS: Not many of us are set to "enjoy our retirement" as most of us won't be able to afford to retire.

lol, most of you are regressive. hit a nerve I see
RJF19

Activity: 420

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 09:06:00 PM

lol, most of you are regressive. hit a nerve I see

I don't speak for my generation, a lot of them are pretty screwed up but, we didn't cause all the worlds problems nor can we fix them so, have at it and, good luck!  Grin

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
Trukkur

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 10:03:04 PM

Right after the elections every member of the parliament got salary increase up to 340.000kr   3018$   4,274 BTC   22.777 AUR

And we get to know about it right efter the election  Angry    COINCIDENCE???

http://www.visir.is/laun-althingismanna-haekka-um-nalega-340-thusund-/article/2016161039748

LemonAndFriesOne
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:27:29 AM

I don't speak for my generation, a lot of them are pretty screwed up but, we didn't cause all the worlds problems nor can we fix them so, have at it and, good luck!  Grin

at least we can agree that there's a lot of messed up with both generations
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  

Jump to: