Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 07:14:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in the classroom, yes or no and why?  (Read 7697 times)
ajaxmoor
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 12:02:06 AM

Classroom, sure. But only after highschool. I don't think me or anyone would have liked to learn about bitcoin before university. And there are tons of better ways to explain any of the maths or other learning stuff.
mastica

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 12:29:46 AM

Woul be nice teachers ask student some project related to crytpo currencies, i do see this being implemented on the next years, since there is a huge interest about blockchain, and some altcoins as well, soo studying about it can bring more genius and good crypto currencies in the future as well. China should be starting this first i do believe, since looks like they are really interested and does wanna to get their own coin.
molsewid

Activity: 2170
Merit: 530

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 12:41:10 AM

This is for a personal writing project I'm working on. I imagine that Bitcoin would be good for things like teaching things like math with decimals ("How many Satoshis do you need to get a tenth of a Bitcoin?", stuff like that), budgeting (Spend it on whatever you want, but when it's gone, it's gone), or even a little bit of IT / programming stuff like how cryptography works. What do you guys think of this?
This is not easy to do when you are going to implement bitcoin nor satoshi in class people will might really confuse on what they are going to learn for this they. If they do impose bitcoin to math thing how about those algebra and under math? Programming is all logic not for investment sh*t just saying no hatin.
blackstone

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

i think there should be a classroom for teaching bitcoins .it s really important for the  next generation to know that there is a currency  other than fiat which is going on the other hand and it may be the future.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1259

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2017, 02:51:14 PM

Dont really understand the motif behind such a venture.

If bitcoin is used as an example, maybe to make it popular among children in this manner, then I am not supporting this issue.

Teaching should be generalized and should be taught with the motive of teaching the subject and not the example. Also children should be taught to learn the subjects more properly before they actually transact. Considering earning bitcoin is easy these days for kids, this can lead to bad addiction of children to worthless faucets and bitcoin gambling, which is totally unacceptable.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
royalfestus

Activity: 2422
Merit: 516

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 06:49:29 PM

It will be good development in education. Considering satoshi in the 8 bit interger. Calculating with exchange rate of bitcoin in native countries, transaction fee and conversion from USD. It could start with the high schools

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Ipwich

Activity: 1050
Merit: 529

Student Coin

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 01:53:19 PM

It will be a NO for me, for some reasons that it doesn't fit to the classroom teaching set-up it is not appropriate to share the knowledge specially to those still a students.It was quite disappointing if few of them are able to undergo gambling or even spend it in wrong manner.Better to educate it to those who are already adopt the good values on how to spend wisely.

STUDENTCOIN

Powered by,
Golftech

Activity: 2128
Merit: 520

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 01:58:35 PM

i personally think that it can't be understand right away since bitcoin still new to the students and it will hard for them to analyze things that they are not familiar with, it can be use maybe for those in economics who's really aiming for better economy as bitcoin is also recognized as part of currency so they can understand the flow.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 02:37:11 PM

Personally I don't think that it will be effective to teach bitcoin in classes relating it to other common subjects. The reason is that very few might understand as bitcoin haven't reached lot of users. Some users quoted that only IT/Software people understands easily, that too is not real. In my country when I enquire with IT people they were not aware of digital currency. Only the popularity makes people understand bitcoin even without teaching.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 02:46:32 PM

Sounds great for us, but I don't know what to say. I mean most similar projects usually aren't getting as much attention as they should. Even if you're going to work very hard for it, I don't want to discourage you but you need to find more people to teach about it too, and you also need to be very patient. This project should actually be like taught during the classes, and not after them because everyone pretty much won't listen to you. When they're there during the class, they know they have to do it. It's amazing that you want to do it, you're doing a good thing for everybody here: demand grows, so the price also grows, and the more businesses based on Bitcoin will appear. I guess you are from America, that's a country where you can do something out of a hard worked project. In my country, it'd probably never work - I wouldn't even get the chance of doing it. If a school project doesn't work, you can speak to the directors of different schools and start a course there, so you can have advertisement placed around the buildings to attract them there, and the teachers can also invite them to it.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 02:59:38 PM

This is for a personal writing project I'm working on. I imagine that Bitcoin would be good for things like teaching things like math with decimals ("How many Satoshis do you need to get a tenth of a Bitcoin?", stuff like that), budgeting (Spend it on whatever you want, but when it's gone, it's gone), or even a little bit of IT / programming stuff like how cryptography works. What do you guys think of this?

It is highly unlikely that bitcoin's gonna get a subject base of it's own on a school not on the impending years to come well maybe teachers may pop up with a word bitcoin on their student if the lesson would be on computer base subject or sometimes bitcoin can become an example for teacher in some topic because Bitcoin has been very popular right now but that doesn't mean school would teach bitcoin to their student because of that.
michellee

Activity: 2800
Merit: 842

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 03:17:04 PM

i think its a good idea to give a lesson about bitcoin in the classroom, this could make student learn about bitcoin itself and realize that there is a new technology in outside of their school. beside that, if this is really happen then the mass adoption will be going faster than we can expect and bitcoin will be more growth.

Choy13

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 03:41:07 PM

No ,for now i do not use bitcoin in the classroom . But i am thinking for doing it in the future because i am starting to realize that if we are capable to learn about bitcoin , majority of people will choose to use the bitcoin and the progress of it will take place.
But it always denpends to the people on how they will used it?

For all
    What is the reason for someone to use bitcoin in class.

burner2014

Activity: 952
Merit: 515

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 03:49:24 PM

Bitcoin is related in economics because bitcoin is real life and each of us should know what economic is and how it works.
So, if you were about to discuss this to a class relate bitcoin to economic class. Use bitcoin as one of your example but in a simple way especially when you are teaching elementary students, or secondary. Use an example where you can easily relate bitcoin.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2017, 04:40:51 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2017, 10:14:46 PM by eternalgloom

Yes and No.

I don't think bitcoin should be involved in teaching the following:
  • Basic math; conversions, decimals, etc.
  • Basic personal finance; budgeting, etc.
Bitcoin's low adoption and complicated creation allows people to believe it's "make believe" or a "fad". Yet the concepts above are very much needed for everyone to succeed in society. These topics need to be taken seriously  and therefore should be discussed in terms of the student's local fiat currency (which is very real).

Older students would benefit from bitcoin involvement in teaching the following:
  • Economic systems and how they can be created if a group of people are willing to particpate
  • Computer science
I came here to post this, you're absolutely correct in my opinion.

I would also like to add another reason for not using Bitcoin in math classes based on what OP said:
I imagine that Bitcoin would be good for things like teaching things like math with decimals ("How many Satoshis do you need to get a tenth of a Bitcoin?", stuff like that)
In this example you'd also need to explain what Satoshis and Bitcoins are, which is totally beside the point in math class.
If you're going to use real life examples, use something that everybody can easily understand (apples, oranges, whatever) so you don't lose any time because you need to explain an entire concept first.

Bitcoin would be great to spend a single lesson on in Economics and maybe multiple lessons in Computer science classes.

ophyrim

Activity: 994
Merit: 391

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 10:01:46 PM

Bitcoin is one of the common currency in the world and probably will be one of the most useful in the future. So it is really important for the students how they use bitcoins. In additional in my opinion,  teaching the existence of the other altcoins can also be very essential.
mrcash02

Activity: 1190
Merit: 525

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 10:04:38 PM

It could be used as an example in classroom depending the subject. But it won't happen so fast, it only will happen when Bitcoin become more popular, and school examples are usually based in popular things. In the future it will happen and much more will be teached at schools about Bitcoins and any other thing about Crypto-Currencies world.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
HankTheTank

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 10:04:50 PM

Can maybe be useful in the beginning but right now it will not be so useful because its not so popular, if it will be more used than it is.
virtualkeybuyer

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 10:25:25 PM

I liked your idea it is really important to teach the students in their classroom in their studies about bitcoin and its units. If they cannot place it in mathematics then at least in the computer subject it is important to give a place to it.
royalfestus

Activity: 2422
Merit: 516

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 05:48:04 AM

Personally I don't think that it will be effective to teach bitcoin in classes relating it to other common subjects. The reason is that very few might understand as bitcoin haven't reached lot of users. Some users quoted that only IT/Software people understands easily, that too is not real. In my country when I enquire with IT people they were not aware of digital currency. Only the popularity makes people understand bitcoin even without teaching.
Abacus is a topic in mathematics that is ancient and not relevant, still being taught in schools. With the one time classroom experience I had, I can still remember and probably find out how it looks. Bitcoin is a future in legal tendency exchange, the earlier students get to know about it the better understood and used. IT graduates in 2011 still dont know about blockchain but the developed countries had added it to their syllabus. This is how to prepare for the future and not deprive ourselves. I have 2 university degree not related to computer and now informing my IT friends to read up on blockchain technology. Imagine how schools would have done better

█████████████████████