May 03, 2024, 04:04:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 5038 5039 5040 5041 5042 5043 5044 5045 5046 5047 5048 5049 5050 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5056 5057 5058 5059 5060 5061 5062 5063 5064 5065 5066 5067 5068 5069 5070 5071 5072 5073 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 5079 5080 5081 5082 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 [5088] 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 5124 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 5130 5131 5132 5133 5134 5135 5136 5137 5138 ... 33319 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371468 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:39:53 PM

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/bitcoin-could-be-manipulated-and-that-s-ok-165845510.html

If Bitcoin were a stock trading that thin it would take a stunningly small amount of money to manipulate the price. In fact, if Bitcoin traders played it the way stock trading syndicates controlled stocks in the days before the SEC, they could just trade Bitcoin back and forth to one another, walking the price higher and creating the illusion of support. 

No way is that happening. Just no way. Not my precious bitcoins.

lol
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChrisML

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:40:16 PM

but but but i though Bitcoin was a safe haven where everybody love each other, hug under rainbows and ride unicorns  Cry Undecided

Someone please photoshop this in front of Risto's mansion...

Double kudos if you get the pink Rolls Royce in also.

^what she says. Do it.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:41:58 PM

Yesterday's pennant is starting to go limp....  Huh Cheesy Cheesy
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2116

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:44:21 PM

Sound money. It is a thing. You can look it up.

But that would mean getting the horse out of the stable, riding it down to the library and searching through through the card index to determine which vellum covered tome to consult to find the definition. And he doesn't even have any quills sharpened to take notes.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 07:48:20 PM

Are you telling me that one of the biggest exchanges losing their customers money didn't cause a reversal from a downtrend that was caused by the loss of demand in China? How can this be? :O This is impossible!

Smiley

Sounds like you missed the rally and hope to get another crack. GTFO. The correction to $530 was because of China. Gox took us down to $400. These things can overlap.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I'm angry because there won't be any volatility any longer in the crypto scene to make money at the expense of fools. So I just invented this so called "demand in China" and how it's loss caused a boring 2 month long dead cat bounce.
But I'll try to correct my ways and listen to the TA wizards here who have skillz of drawing linez.

Smiley
China didn't have anything to do with the downtrend in February, and there is no reason to suppose demand in China is decreasing. The biggest issue with China recently was the uncertainty of what would happen on January 31st (which amounted to nothing); and all we did in January was fluctuate around $800 while worrying about the possibility of something on the 31st. February's downtrend was caused by uncertainty in mtgox and other exchanges, lies about the extent of transaction malleability, some finally mtgox's insolvency. Those issues have mostly been resolved at this point. I wouldn't wait for cheap (sub 600) coins anymore at this point. I think the downtrend is over, unless we get more seriously bad news, which is never unlikely in the bitcoin world.

It was game over for bitcoin in China when it was announced that there is no future for legal business supported by bitcoin. It ment that no serious investors who want to keep solid relations with the government won't touch bitcoin. The market that is left is basically walking on a thin line, only waiting for getting shut down and possibly prosecuted. Only thing that created the long dead cat bounce was denial, desperation and stupidity. If you have been looking at the charts then you know that overall demand has constantly been dropping, with only thing holding the price up is that there aren't many people who are willing to sell cheap. But this in turn is causing a decrease in volume and only way to stimulate the market is lowering the price little by litle...this will reach a critical point when the "will of the hodlers" will break and there will be a nice fall.
Anyway, I'm not arguing about this anymore, I have found that sarcasm is more suitable for this place. I'm tired of the "line drawers" calling for new and new bottoms for these past 2 months. You do whatever you wish and believe whatever you believe.

The killer app for Bitcoin in China is that it is a loophole to evade capital controls. This hasn't changed. As theit national currency has devalued against the dollar and is likely to continue to do so, an inflation hedge is a secondary use. The gambling aspect just creates noise to obscure the underlying demand.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2116

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:56:42 PM

^what she says. Do it.

Srsly?

Oh, I guess the avatar misled Smiley
kkaspar

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 07:58:37 PM

Are you telling me that one of the biggest exchanges losing their customers money didn't cause a reversal from a downtrend that was caused by the loss of demand in China? How can this be? :O This is impossible!

Smiley

Sounds like you missed the rally and hope to get another crack. GTFO. The correction to $530 was because of China. Gox took us down to $400. These things can overlap.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I'm angry because there won't be any volatility any longer in the crypto scene to make money at the expense of fools. So I just invented this so called "demand in China" and how it's loss caused a boring 2 month long dead cat bounce.
But I'll try to correct my ways and listen to the TA wizards here who have skillz of drawing linez.

Smiley
China didn't have anything to do with the downtrend in February, and there is no reason to suppose demand in China is decreasing. The biggest issue with China recently was the uncertainty of what would happen on January 31st (which amounted to nothing); and all we did in January was fluctuate around $800 while worrying about the possibility of something on the 31st. February's downtrend was caused by uncertainty in mtgox and other exchanges, lies about the extent of transaction malleability, some finally mtgox's insolvency. Those issues have mostly been resolved at this point. I wouldn't wait for cheap (sub 600) coins anymore at this point. I think the downtrend is over, unless we get more seriously bad news, which is never unlikely in the bitcoin world.

It was game over for bitcoin in China when it was announced that there is no future for legal business supported by bitcoin. It ment that no serious investors who want to keep solid relations with the government won't touch bitcoin. The market that is left is basically walking on a thin line, only waiting for getting shut down and possibly prosecuted. Only thing that created the long dead cat bounce was denial, desperation and stupidity. If you have been looking at the charts then you know that overall demand has constantly been dropping, with only thing holding the price up is that there aren't many people who are willing to sell cheap. But this in turn is causing a decrease in volume and only way to stimulate the market is lowering the price little by litle...this will reach a critical point when the "will of the hodlers" will break and there will be a nice fall.
Anyway, I'm not arguing about this anymore, I have found that sarcasm is more suitable for this place. I'm tired of the "line drawers" calling for new and new bottoms for these past 2 months. You do whatever you wish and believe whatever you believe.

The killer app for Bitcoin in China is that it is a loophole to evade capital controls. This hasn't changed. As theit national currency has devalued against the dollar and is likely to continue to do so, an inflation hedge is a secondary use. The gambling aspect just creates noise to obscure the underlying demand.

And you really believe that bitcoin is the best legal loophole in China to evade capital controls? Or even just a good way? Or that bitcoin is the most secure way to hedge against inflation? That a business owner actually buys bitcoins while saying "ha! now my wealth is safe in this stable and secure currency!".
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:00:22 PM

Smiley

Smiley

And you really believe that bitcoin is the best legal loophole in China to evade capital controls? Or even just a good way? Or that bitcoin is the most secure way to hedge against inflation? That a business owner actually buys bitcoins while saying "ha! now my wealth is safe in this stable and secure currency!".

They're evading capital control by moving wealth out of the country. Why, as you suggest, would they be holding bitcoin at the endpoint?
mellowyellow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:01:07 PM

Breaking news - bitcoin is not banned in Russia.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1zk28a/bitcoin_not_banned_in_russia_says_russian_central/
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:05:39 PM

Finally, when someone tries to convince others to buy lottery tickets, by telling them that it is a good investment, when his motive is actually to make a profit out of their "investment" -- then that guy is a scammer, and should go to jail
Maybe in your country, but in Europe, most of the lottery business are state exclusivity, a tax on dream...
So should we put all gov's in jail ?

Only those who advertise it as "good investment", "chance to fix yourlife", etc.  Smiley   As I said, I have no objections to gambling.

In fact, I think that catering to addictions should be a function of the goverment, at zero or negative profit, precisely to avoid any marketing that would encourage them. (Seriously.)

Here in Brazil we have clandestine (illegal) lotteries and cassinos, and an official lottery that is run by a state-licensed private company.  Some slice of the profits go to the state, to make it seem morally acceptable.  They run ads encouraging people to play; so, yes, I think they should go to jail.

kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:06:17 PM

Smiley

Smiley

They're evading capital control by moving wealth out of the country. Why, as you suggest, would they be holding bitcoin at the endpoint?

Just move your wealth through  shell companies. If you want to move money out of China illegally, then you don't want to leave a trail of you buying bitcoins that is famous for this particular illegal activity. What you want to do is deal through companies that attract little attention.
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:07:12 PM

maybe off-topic, to people who think that they do take security seriously, please it is time to do some revision, I am reading around and I see a shocking amount of hacks and fraud going on for the last couple of days.

so you may consider:

1- check if you have all security features that your exchange offers already activated.
2- make sure that you use one of the best antivirus programs on the computer you use to browse around and make sure it is up to date.
3- don't leave funds on exchanges, if you daily trade and you have leave any funds there, then make sure to use e-mail confirmations and that your e-mail also has 2FA.
4- make sure that you use only one phone/device which is not rooted, and do not install garbage bitcoin apps or any other app games/garbage.
5- use paper wallets for your long term investment and save them in a safe place.
6- keep the for-daily use coins on an offline computer, use Armory, sign offline transaction and broadcast them on an online pc.
7- use different passwords on all sites, make them complicated and long (capital letters small letters, numbers and special characters)
8- don't keep any track of your passwords, keys or anything else on your computer, do it the old fashion way, write on a paper and save it somewhere safe.
9- encrypt about anything, I would recommend you to encrypt your entire dist as well, if you use linux this option is offered when installing the system, if you use windows then try PGP whole disk encryption, I use it and I recommend it.
10- use avg anti virus on your phone/device, activate the relocation option, there is also an option to wipe-out the device by sending a SMS to your phone if lost or stolen.
11- never trust anyone with your BTC, if you cant control the address then you don't own the BTC, any non reputable, non regulated online service can go offline, and you will lose all your funds (the new term is Goxed)
12- dont click on links without being sure where they direct, you can simply put the mouse cursor on it without clicking and check the address bar if it is a legit link, deactivate automatic redirection in your browser so you cant be tricked.
13- don't open e-mails from unknown sources, especially don't open spam e-mail, if you have to do so, then make sure to not open any executable attachment or any .pif extension, judge any site asking you to install "java plugin" or a "flash player" if YouTube works for you than you don't need any flash player or additional extensions, you are being a victim of a phishing attempt.
14- don't install any opensource software if you don't know what the code does, if can review the code your self then don't install without verifying the signature, especially don't install wallets of the daily created scam coins, some might be created just to steal your coins.

these are just some of the safety practices I can think about now, any user is welcome to add anything I might have forgotten to this list.

bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:10:02 PM

I have stated my position several times, but for those who did not see it:

* Cryptocoins are a great invention...

The mere fact that you refer to them as cryptocoins tells me that you're ready to start giving sound market analysis.  Roll Eyes

-you don't own any "cryptocoins"
-you have a computer science degree from Stanford University

Do you really expect a different reaction from us? I have no problem with people giving honest criticisms to cryptocurrencies, but this is obviously not the forum in which to be doing it. I would think the developer forum would be more to your intellectual liking. Traders here are generally aware of how they work, inside and out, are aware of the risks, and have heard it all a hundred times before.

If you're going to post here, get your damn feet wet instead of shouting SHARK from the beach. You know how to swim, it'll be ok.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:13:45 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2014, 08:29:57 PM by JorgeStolfi

China didn't have anything to do with the downtrend in February, and there is no reason to suppose demand in China is decreasing. The biggest issue with China recently was the uncertainty of what would happen on January 31st (which amounted to nothing); and all we did in January was fluctuate around $800 while worrying about the possibility of something on the 31st. February's downtrend was caused by uncertainty in mtgox and other exchanges, lies about the extent of transaction malleability, some finally mtgox's insolvency. Those issues have mostly been resolved at this point.

Then how comes the price remained stable throughout the Chinese New Year's holiday week (from ~Jan/29 to ~Feb/05), when volume was very low at the Chinese exchanges; and started to decrease, with increased volume. as soon as the holiday ended and banks opened?

The MtGOX withdrawal problems did not seem to have any effect on China, which is understandable since MtGOX is as relevant to Chinese investors as BTC0China is to western ones.  On the other hand, the announcement on Feb/10 of a "bug in bitcoin" did shake all markets, including China.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:15:36 PM

Sound money. It is a thing. You can look it up.

But that would mean getting the horse out of the stable, riding it down to the library and searching through through the card index to determine which vellum covered tome to consult to find the definition. And he doesn't even have any quills sharpened to take notes.

You forgot he must ask the government for permission for each of those things, unless he can use the university license.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10207

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:17:52 PM

Smiley

Smiley

If you have such beliefs, then why are you hanging around here?  Why dont you just sell your bitcoins and leave?  Are you here to save the rest of us from ourselves from bitcoin from what?    Or are you still investing in the meantime?

Solarstorm75

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:18:21 PM

What just happened on Bitstamp? 64 btc order down to 633, doesn't make sense. Anyone can confirm it's just a btcwisdom glitch, or did the trade actually hit 630 for real?

WTF?! Just checked on tradingview, they show it as well. Bitstamp trading enging fucked up?!

Like MoreFun said. The Api shows, that there were 2 trades went through. Check a few trades earlier or https://www.bitstamp.net/api/transactions/ (633.64)

The same happened at MtGox too and 4 weeks later MtGox has gone.

See my very first postings at this board:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=450194.msg4953836#msg4953836
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=450194.msg4954050#msg4954050

Now we will be stamped!!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
kkaspar

banned but not broken

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:20:35 PM

Smiley

Smiley

If you have such beliefs, then why are you hanging around here?  Why dont you just sell your bitcoins and leave?  Are you here to save the rest of us from ourselves from bitcoin from what?    Or are you still investing in the meantime?

Because it's profitable to earn money at the expense of people who don't know any better.
knarzo

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:23:19 PM

Because it's profitable to earn money at the expense of people who don't know any better.

--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yge311sFhC8  Kiss Kiss
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:23:24 PM

Just when you thought you might have seen it all, you meet a Luddite professor with a computer science degree. It's these little surprises that keep life interesting.
Pages: « 1 ... 5038 5039 5040 5041 5042 5043 5044 5045 5046 5047 5048 5049 5050 5051 5052 5053 5054 5055 5056 5057 5058 5059 5060 5061 5062 5063 5064 5065 5066 5067 5068 5069 5070 5071 5072 5073 5074 5075 5076 5077 5078 5079 5080 5081 5082 5083 5084 5085 5086 5087 [5088] 5089 5090 5091 5092 5093 5094 5095 5096 5097 5098 5099 5100 5101 5102 5103 5104 5105 5106 5107 5108 5109 5110 5111 5112 5113 5114 5115 5116 5117 5118 5119 5120 5121 5122 5123 5124 5125 5126 5127 5128 5129 5130 5131 5132 5133 5134 5135 5136 5137 5138 ... 33319 »
  Print  

Jump to: