May 06, 2024, 03:09:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 [5471] 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 5519 5520 5521 ... 33326 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372669 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:25:28 AM

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:25:47 AM

Not true,

FINCEN already announced that they would go after the exchanges that haven´t registered about 2 weeks ago.
Google it.

They can go after any exchange that is based in USA or accept deposits and withdrawals on US soil.

Fonzie's having a hard time with this one. I guess he thinks Obama might issue a military invasion of Slovenia to take over Bitstamp.
Do you mind telling me why it is that non-US online gambling sites don't accept US customers?

Because USA explicitly made illegal that US costumers gamble on online sites and most of them have servers and domain registered with US companies.

USA did not make illegal that US citizens send money to Bitcoin exchanges yet nor have it issued any order for non-us exchanges to register with FINCEN.

If they do it, I'm pretty sure Bitstamp will do it, if they already did not just to be on the safe side as they have same issues as online gambling sites - servers and domain. They have enough money to do it.

Exactly. Blitz is being a knucklehead.
fonzie

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:26:48 AM

I heard he´s workin for J.P. Morgan too.
Just like me and Jorge  Cool
seleme
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:27:33 AM

Blitz being Blitz  Grin
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:30:30 AM

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303563304579447020246651110
KFR

Activity: 560

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:31:17 AM

BTW I feel obliged to remind everyone that, for the most part, Europe continues to welcome Bitcoin and is generally taking a very progressive and open-minded position towards crypto.

It's also nice to see Kraken's growth - by far the best exchange around at the moment IMHO.

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:33:03 AM

there can be an infinte number of cryptocoins, any brand of them is just as good for commerce as any other, and there is no reason to believe that bitcoin will be among the ones that will succeed if they do succeed.

This has been refuted again and again. People want a secure, noninflating coin. Not evapourcoin. Not resourcecoin. They dont want coins for dogs or dope or sex. One coin. Not countrycoin, not citycoin. One international coin. They don't want a coin with more frequent blocks. Not premine. Not centralized. They want one coin.
Then why are the altcoins still thriving? Those who buy and use them are not people?

Those kinds of coins could be competitors. Maybe one other, maybe two.  [ ... ] Most probably, altcoins could ever only reach a small part of the total value.
And it is me the one who states mere opinions, without any arguments?

You can have your opinion about the likelihood of bitcoin surviving, but the fact are that there is no justification now to claim that they will die, and bitcoin will not.  The "first players advantage" and "network effect", if they were real, should have prevented the altcoins from starting. That they started and are thriving is proof that those advantages are not that significant.

On the other hand, some altcoins appear to have characteristics that bitcoin does not have; who can tell whether they won't be decisive?

(I hope no one will claim that "bitcoin is now too big to fail".  Wink)
seleme
Legendary

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:34:12 AM

Not only are they subject to FinCEN civil monetary penalties, but knowing failure to register a money transmitting business with FinCEN—or fail to register with state authorities when required—can be a federal criminal offense."

Mr. Cohen said the Treasury Department is working with other governments and multilateral institutions to seek to draft consistent rules for digital currencies around the world.
He said the international Financial Action Task Force, which sets standards for anti-money-laundering and counterterrorist financing practices, will later this year release a paper that will update common definitions for digital currencies and lay out potential benefits and vulnerabilities for the sector.

Game/set/match Mr. Seleme.  Grin
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:34:52 AM

I just wonder why you spend what seems to be HOURS every day here doing what you do.

Your potential story in the year 2020:

"I spent a total of 6 months of my life on a bitcoin forum, not because I owned any, but to tell people I didn't know that it wouldn't work for reasons I would cycle around, that people would point to the well established debunkings of."
Actually I am learning A LOT here (thank you to all who taught me). I even learned how to spell bitcoin in Chinese.

Please note that I do not start speeches against bitcoin here.  As I have written many times, I don't care if people invest or trade in bitcoin knowing well what they are doing.  I do speak out against those who try to "sell" bitcoin as good investment to the unwary,  because I believe that ist is a terrible one.  I have no respect for those who try to sell it as a hedge against inflation, a way to evade taxes and buy drugs safely, and other false things that "salesmen" still say -- when in fact they want the guy to invest (and hold at any cost) only to get the price up so that they can make a profit at his expense.

But I know that this is not the place for such speeches.

However, when people write things that I believe are wrong, why should I keep quiet?  I write my opinion, if it bothers you, there is the ostrich ignore button right there.
seleme
Legendary

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:36:30 AM

Careful guys, we have Robin Hood here  Grin
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:37:30 AM

there can be an infinte number of cryptocoins, any brand of them is just as good for commerce as any other, and there is no reason to believe that bitcoin will be among the ones that will succeed if they do succeed.

This has been refuted again and again. People want a secure, noninflating coin. Not evapourcoin. Not resourcecoin. They dont want coins for dogs or dope or sex. One coin. Not countrycoin, not citycoin. One international coin. They don't want a coin with more frequent blocks. Not premine. Not centralized. They want one coin.
Then why are the altcoins still thriving? Those who buy and use them are not people?

Those kinds of coins could be competitors. Maybe one other, maybe two.  [ ... ] Most probably, altcoins could ever only reach a small part of the total value.

You can have your opinion about the likelihood of bitcoin surviving, but the fact are that there is no justification now to claim that they will die, and bitcoin will not.  The "first players advantage" and "network effect", if they were real, should have prevented the altcoins from starting. That they started and are thriving is proof that those advantages are not that significant.

On the other hand, some altcoins appear to have characteristics that bitcoin does not have; who can tell whether they won't be decisive?

Yeah, I've seen better arguments from you, tbh.

The altcoin vs. Bitcoin analogy is probably pretty close to, say, silver vs. gold. In some hypothetical world exactly identical to ours, but in which *only* gold exists but no silver, speculative gold might have a higher market cap than in ours, but the thought is rather shallow anyway: it's simply human nature not to put all eggs into one basket -- cryptocurrencies will be no difference. The (much smaller) valuation of altcoins doesn't take a severe chunk out of Bitcoin's valuation, unless at some point BTC is replaced as the alpha crypto, but that's not the scenario you're talking about.
fotosonics

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:39:19 AM

Would you mind telling me why this is important right now? Do you have some relevant info about US blocking wires to Bitstamp that you want to share with us? No? Ok, then f**k off.

I understand the *possibilities that exist, but the US also has online gambling laws that are different than bitcoin laws, especially as bitcoin has few laws.

If Bitstamp one day in the future doesnt accept US money, then some exchange in NY or SF will. Big f**king deal.

See my post above. It's not the US that is directly blocking wires, it's "Due to current US Securities regulations" which also scare away bitcoin ventures from accepting US investment so they can't be held liable.

This is the first direct evidence I've seen that US regulation hurts bitcoin.

Did you receive that email today?

Just yesterday.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:40:08 AM

Would you mind telling me why this is important right now? Do you have some relevant info about US blocking wires to Bitstamp that you want to share with us? No? Ok, then f**k off.

I understand the *possibilities that exist, but the US also has online gambling laws that are different than bitcoin laws, especially as bitcoin has few laws.

If Bitstamp one day in the future doesnt accept US money, then some exchange in NY or SF will. Big f**king deal.

See my post above. It's not the US that is directly blocking wires, it's "Due to current US Securities regulations" which also scare away bitcoin ventures from accepting US investment so they can't be held liable.

Just yesterday.

When did you register and/or invest with them?
Hen0xyd

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:40:30 AM

Pretty sticky to 500 with a classic weekend drop (and retesting 470 as I'm writing).

Some movement next week would end new triangles and make everyone reacts like snowball and it would need relativly few bitcoins to move the price 50$ either way.

So current deal is we are going to see :
500 -> 400 going back to "MtGox is dead, Bitcoin is dead" bottom, serios
or
500 -> 800 going back to intermediate uptrend and previous bubbles patterns

For long-term bulls like me I think "HOLD and BUY more when price drops" is a decent and rational Leitmotif.
KFR

Activity: 560

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:40:47 AM

I just wonder why you spend what seems to be HOURS every day here doing what you do.

Your potential story in the year 2020:

"I spent a total of 6 months of my life on a bitcoin forum, not because I owned any, but to tell people I didn't know that it wouldn't work for reasons I would cycle around, that people would point to the well established debunkings of."
Actually I am learning A LOT here (thank you to all who taught me). I even learned how to spell bitcoin in Chinese.

Please note that I do not start speeches against bitcoin here.  As I have written many times, I don't care if people invest or trade in bitcoin knowing well what they are doing.  I do speak out against those who try to "sell" bitcoin as good investment to the unwary,  because I believe that ist is a terrible one.  I have no respect for those who try to sell it as a hedge against inflation, a way to evade taxes and buy drugs safely, and other false things that "salesmen" still say -- when in fact they want the guy to invest (and hold at any cost) only to get the price up so that they can make a profit at his expense.

But I know that this is not the place for such speeches.

However, when people write things that I believe are wrong, why should I keep quiet?  I write my opinion, if it bothers you, there is the ostrich ignore button right there.

More straw manning.  Who/where are all these salesman preying on your precious poor victims?  And why are all these poor people somehow prepared to take high risk speculative investments?

Pics or it didn't happen.

You can say what the hell you like of course but if you expect people to believe it, particularly given your track record, you're going to need to cite references.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:41:53 AM

Not only are they subject to FinCEN civil monetary penalties, but knowing failure to register a money transmitting business with FinCEN—or fail to register with state authorities when required—can be a federal criminal offense."

Mr. Cohen said the Treasury Department is working with other governments and multilateral institutions to seek to draft consistent rules for digital currencies around the world.
He said the international Financial Action Task Force, which sets standards for anti-money-laundering and counterterrorist financing practices, will later this year release a paper that will update common definitions for digital currencies and lay out potential benefits and vulnerabilities for the sector.

Where are they excluding non-US businesses from this regulation? It's the same thing as with the Bitcoin stock exchanges. As long as US customers are served, it is regulated by the US. But enough of this. None of us are lawyers I presume.

It is funny though how people here shout everything down that makes them feel uncomfortable. I also like how wind feels the need to insult me for it. Cheesy
seleme
Legendary

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:41:54 AM

Yeah, I've seen better arguments from you, tbh.

The altcoin vs. Bitcoin analogy is probably pretty close to, say, silver vs. gold. In some hypothetical world exactly identical to ours, but in which *only* gold exists but no silver, speculative gold might have a higher market cap than in ours, but the thought is rather shallow anyway: it's simply human nature not to put all eggs into one basket -- cryptocurrencies will be no difference. The (much smaller) valuation of altcoins doesn't take a severe chunk out of Bitcoin's valuation, unless at some point BTC is replaced as the alpha crypto, but that's not the scenario you're talking about.

The alt analogy is so stupid is almost not worth to answer on it.

If anything alts are making Bitcoin more scarce than it would usually be. More alts = less bitcoins on btc vs usd market = higher price than it would be otherwise.

There are thousands and thousands of bitcoins tied to alts trading as you can not buy most of them without buying Bitcoin first.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:41:59 AM

Nah, I think you guys are going over the line. He is not paid nor he will be awarded for his posts from anyone, there's nobody who would pay him to do it, tbh.
He is just intellectual troll who find this as some kind of perverse challenge for himself, he's probably licking his lips now how he is doing us here.
I've never seen anyone spending so much time on the subject he thinks it's a failure though, sad state of mind really.

If so, he does it in a very unreasonable way, unprofessional, not in a way expected from a guy supposedly educated in the scientific method and discussion with peers. [... ] This way of working is exactly what is to be expected from a paid shill, a false grassroot which is called astroturfing [ ... ] or you are ignorant, nonlogical, without common sense. It is also possible. Locked into a tunnel view, due to defect working of your left or right brain, broken, stupid, willfully ignorant, afraid, traumatized in your childhood. Something.

Now, you and the other guys who keep writing this sort of stuff, do you do it because

(A) you are frustrated with bitcoin price or something else, and need to vent your frustration on someone; or
  (B) you really meant to write that sort of stuff; or
  (C) you don't believe I can teach you a lesson you won't forget, and are calling my bluff?

If (A), fine, I am glad to be of service.

If (C), know that a man who knows his strength does not use it just to prove he has it.

fotosonics

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:42:55 AM

Just yesterday.

When did you register and/or invest with them?

About 3 weeks ago. Lots of reasons to move these days. But I'm not a fan of cold weather.
seleme
Legendary

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:45:42 AM

Where are they excluding non-US businesses from this regulation? It's the same thing as with the Bitcoin stock exchanges. As long as US customers are served, it is regulated by the US. But enough of this. None of us are lawyers I presume.

It is funny though how people here shout everything down that makes them feel uncomfortable. I also like how wind feels the need to insult me for it. Cheesy

Well, when you want to see only what you like to see than it's not easy to see the obvious that is not in the line of what you want to see.

I am not insulting you, I used to say lot of times though that despite you doing good job as moderator it's laughing that you are moderator on a main Bitcoin forum as you don't miss a single chance to spread FUD and degrade Bitcoin, specially in downtrends. You've been manipulating people's minds to think Bitcoin is going in to oblivion at 60$ this summer, you're doing same now, pathetic but what could we do Cheesy. I stopped doing that one though, just said Blitz is Blitz. Move on Cheesy
Pages: « 1 ... 5421 5422 5423 5424 5425 5426 5427 5428 5429 5430 5431 5432 5433 5434 5435 5436 5437 5438 5439 5440 5441 5442 5443 5444 5445 5446 5447 5448 5449 5450 5451 5452 5453 5454 5455 5456 5457 5458 5459 5460 5461 5462 5463 5464 5465 5466 5467 5468 5469 5470 [5471] 5472 5473 5474 5475 5476 5477 5478 5479 5480 5481 5482 5483 5484 5485 5486 5487 5488 5489 5490 5491 5492 5493 5494 5495 5496 5497 5498 5499 5500 5501 5502 5503 5504 5505 5506 5507 5508 5509 5510 5511 5512 5513 5514 5515 5516 5517 5518 5519 5520 5521 ... 33326 »
  Print  

Jump to: