May 12, 2024, 05:26:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 12829 12830 12831 12832 12833 12834 12835 12836 12837 12838 12839 12840 12841 12842 12843 12844 12845 12846 12847 12848 12849 12850 12851 12852 12853 12854 12855 12856 12857 12858 12859 12860 12861 12862 12863 12864 12865 12866 12867 12868 12869 12870 12871 12872 12873 12874 12875 12876 12877 12878 [12879] 12880 12881 12882 12883 12884 12885 12886 12887 12888 12889 12890 12891 12892 12893 12894 12895 12896 12897 12898 12899 12900 12901 12902 12903 12904 12905 12906 12907 12908 12909 12910 12911 12912 12913 12914 12915 12916 12917 12918 12919 12920 12921 12922 12923 12924 12925 12926 12927 12928 12929 ... 33344 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26382328 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Moria843

Activity: 442
Merit: 250

Found Lost beach - quiet now

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:18:13 PM

Wake me up when we cross $500

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kralkral

Activity: 323

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:24:35 PM

When do we hit 300$ again? Tomorrow, next week, next month?

Wake me up when we cross $500

Ok, you can sleep for 2 more winters. Wink
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:27:11 PM

last times the price hoovered around 290, a big dump happened and no 300 cross.

Be around 290 makes me more worried than when price was 240
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:49:29 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2015, 05:01:16 PM by Erdogan

You have explained nothing, you seem to be fixated on the word intrinsic, and refuse to discuss what it is. In fact you got this right in a previous post: Gold's utility value is pretty low and its current price is mostly speculative.

By refusing to use the tools of the trade (the words, in this case), you at the same time refuse insight. It is common, but bad.

"Intrinsic" has a meaning. If economists (or Aztec) misuse that word and then go on to act as if it meant what it actually meant, then of course wrong conclusions will be drawn. Are we really just going to accept conventional economics on this forum or look closer and seek the truth? First principles man...

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?

It has four, unless a keynesian tries to count them.

Also linguistically, my use of the word is correct. A can of beer can cool your throat, make your jokes worse, give you a little energy and balance your bodys fluid contents. It is the intrinsic aspects of the beer that give you these services. It is contained in the beer, it is inherent, inborn native, inseparable, deep-rooted in the beer itself. The properties are therefore intrinsic, and it is the intrinsic value of the beer for anyone who prefer those things.

A bunch of dollars do not have these values intrinsically. You can, on the other hand, fill your pockets with dollars and go to bali, in the speculation that you can exchange them for beer. It is not certain, you need to find someone who has beer and wants to sell. The risk is low, but not zero. The money is liquid. The value of the dollars is not that it can cool your throat, they can't. You have to speculate that you can exchange them for beer. Wen you get there, you are only loaded with money value.

You seem to think that intrinsic means absolute, it does absolutely not mean that. It does not mean static, it does not mean physical, or hard, or measurable. Intrinsic value is not better than money value. In fact, money value is better because it is more general. (Well your body exists in the physical world, so you sometimes have to consume something). You can easily google the words meaning yourself.

By erring in these definitions, it is impossible to discuss bitcoin with gold bugs. "But gold has intrinsic value!!! It shines!!!". Who cares? We are here to discuss money, and as you said, the intrinsic value of gold exists, but is small, the money value is the important part of the value, and bitcoin has only speculative, money value. That is what it is all about.

The newcomers have a hard time with this, because bankers and other politicians all the time wants to obscure what they are doing. Use the correct words and lay it out, and it is easily understandable for everyone.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:01:34 PM

Coin
Explanation
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:06:21 PM

Is Bitcoin the only global currency traded 24/7/365?

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:15:26 PM

Also linguistically, my use of the word is correct. A can of beer can cool your throat, make your jokes worse, give you a little energy and balance your bodys fluid contents. It is the intrinsic aspects of the beer that give you these services. It is contained in the beer, it is inherent, inborn native, inseparable, deep-rooted in the beer itself. The properties are therefore intrinsic, and it is the intrinsic value of the beer for anyone who prefer those things.

My friend from Alpha Centauri says that beer would dissolve the flesh from inside his carapace and gront his falamble. Chartbuddy said last time he had a beer, it rusted his diodes and contaminated his oil. Where is your intrinsic value now?

Besides which, that would be a property (which you actually used). I would not say that a beach ball had a value of yellow.

In fact Let's look at your sentence again...

it is the intrinsic value

continue...

for anyone who prefer those things

So a subjective value designated externally. One might almost call that extrinsic value.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2015, 05:21:09 PM

My friend from Alpha Centauri says that beer would dissolve the flesh from inside his carapace and gront his falamble. Chartbuddy said last time he had a beer, it rusted his diodes and contaminated his oil. Where is your intrinsic value now?

Besides which, that would be a property (which you actually used). I would not say that a beach ball had a value of yellow.

continue...

So a subjective value designated externally. One might almost call that extrinsic value.

42!!
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:29:44 PM

You have explained nothing, you seem to be fixated on the word intrinsic, and refuse to discuss what it is. In fact you got this right in a previous post: Gold's utility value is pretty low and its current price is mostly speculative.

By refusing to use the tools of the trade (the words, in this case), you at the same time refuse insight. It is common, but bad.

"Intrinsic" has a meaning. If economists (or Aztec) misuse that word and then go on to act as if it meant what it actually meant, then of course wrong conclusions will be drawn. Are we really just going to accept conventional economics on this forum or look closer and seek the truth? First principles man...

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?

It has four, unless a keynesian tries to count them.

A bunch of dollars do not have these values intrinsically. You can, on the other hand, fill your pockets with dollars and go to bali, in the speculation that you can exchange them for beer. It is not certain, you need to find someone who has beer and wants to sell. The risk is low, but not zero. The money is liquid. The value of the dollars is not that it can cool your throat, they can't. You have to speculate that you can exchange them for beer. Wen you get there, you are only loaded with money value.

You seem to think that intrinsic means absolute, it does absolutely not mean that. It does not mean static, it does not mean physical, or hard, or measurable. Intrinsic value is not better than money value. In fact, money value is better because it is more general. (Well your body exists in the physical world, so you sometimes have to consume something). You can easily google the words meaning yourself.

By erring in these definitions, it is impossible to discuss bitcoin with gold bugs. "But gold has intrinsic value!!! It shines!!!". Who cares? We are here to discuss money, and as you said, the intrinsic value of gold exists, but is small, the money value is the important part of the value, and bitcoin has only speculative, money value. That is what it is all about.

The newcomers have a hard time with this, because bankers and other politicians all the time wants to obscure what they are doing. Use the correct words and lay it out, and it is easily understandable for everyone.

Well said. +1
eerygarden

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:37:19 PM

Oh, this thread is getting bigger and bigger!

Anyways, is it relatively safe to move my entire savings into Bitcoin? I want help from experts about this..

For sure, it's.

Why wouldn't it be not ?

Price may drop to $100 or something like this and I can lose everything very fast, right? Is it even possible? I'm really afraid of this.

Well, you will find my reply highly optimistic and realistic for me, so please don't understand as I'm encouraging you or anything.

First of all, always don't risk what you can't afford to lose.

Second, since first doesn't apply for me, because I'm all in, I can't see that bitcoin will go to zero or will take a high dip to $100, even if it took, I will be ultra-happy so I can buy more coins.

Third, as I always say, forget about the normal Joe like you and me, do you think all that bitcoin startups and VC with all effort, money and power put into bitcoin, is put without seeing tomorrow ? We are talking here about millions of millions.

At last, I see a better tomorrow with Bitcoin, not only me, a lot here agrees with me and we as a community march together for a better tomorrow, and let this reply be the witness Wink

ive read this numerous times - care to explain?

I nearly asked the same question but figured he meant from new income.
Fakhoury
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:40:24 PM

Anyways, is it relatively safe to move my entire savings into Bitcoin? I want help from experts about this..

For sure, it's.

Why wouldn't it be not ?

Price may drop to $100 or something like this and I can lose everything very fast, right? Is it even possible? I'm really afraid of this.

Well, you will find my reply highly optimistic and realistic for me, so please don't understand as I'm encouraging you or anything.

Second, since first doesn't apply for me, because I'm all in, I can't see that bitcoin will go to zero or will take a high dip to $100, even if it took, I will be ultra-happy so I can buy more coins.

Third, as I always say, forget about the normal Joe like you and me, do you think all that bitcoin startups and VC with all effort, money and power put into bitcoin, is put without seeing tomorrow ? We are talking here about millions of millions.

At last, I see a better tomorrow with Bitcoin, not only me, a lot here agrees with me and we as a community march together for a better tomorrow, and let this reply be the witness Wink

Pardon me edgar and eerygarden, could you please elaborate more your question and I will gladly reply to it Smiley

Thank you.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 05:47:33 PM

continue...

You are obviusly not stupid, and yes, the value is defined not by the beer in itself, but individuals, considering it, all persons are different, so there is no yardstick, it is personal, psychological, individual. Every price you see, is the value from individuals preferring, with the help of their total life experience and individual needs, one thing over another. Is this your problem, do you think that therefore, we can not group value into two distinct types, intrinsic and speculative?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:01:39 PM

Coin
Explanation
eerygarden

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:02:02 PM

For sure, it's.

Why wouldn't it be not ?

Pardon me edgar and eerygarden, could you please elaborate more your question and I will gladly reply to it Smiley

Thank you.

How can you buy more if you are all in? With new income right?
Fakhoury
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Permabull Bitcoin Investor

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:06:32 PM

For sure, it's.

Why wouldn't it be not ?

Thank you.

How can you buy more if you are all in? With new income right?

Yes, you are right.

What I meant to say is, I work online and offline, online I take BTC and any other payments I take, I automatically convert it to BTC.

Offline, I nearly save 30% or 40% from my monthly income in BTC.

I will be doing this until I reach a peak which I've set for myself, but hopefully I will not go beyond my peak, it's not a matter of greed, but fear from future.

If you have anything more to ask, go ahead Smiley
LFC_Bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 9556

#1 VIP Crypto Casino

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:28:32 PM

Almost for 2mil$ longs closed in last 24h (shorts more or less on the same level) on finex and the price is still going up...  Cool
300$ could be tested in next 12h!

Interesting. I'd rather not cross 300 for a little while though if as soon as we get over it people start dumping again.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:28:41 PM

A Greece deal has reached.

Selling is the best option for now

IMF warned that Greece needs deeper debt relief. Not over yet.
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:33:33 PM

A Greece deal has reached.

Selling is the best option for now

IMF warned that Greece needs deeper debt relief. Not over yet.

Agree; we're FAR from a "deal". A portion of SYRIZA has revolted against the austerity package and they refuse to vote for it; if that happens elections it is sooner than later. AFAIC the viability of the debt... let me say it out loud:

HA

HA

HA! Grin
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 06:35:09 PM

You are obviusly not stupid, and yes, the value is defined not by the beer in itself, but individuals, considering it, all persons are different, so there is no yardstick, it is personal, psychological, individual. Every price you see, is the value from individuals preferring, with the help of their total life experience and individual needs, one thing over another. Is this your problem, do you think that therefore, we can not group value into two distinct types, intrinsic and speculative?

Oh, we can have many groups of value. In fact, I would say that intrinsic and speculative would surely not be enough since, in my book, intrinsic value would be an empty set. Speculative is a subset of extrinsic value since one might value something not merely because one hopes to exchange it for increased value/price later.

Now, the intrinsic properties of gold might have subjective value in the common sphere. It is shiny, resists corrosion, easily malleable, heavy (dense), all that jazz. But all those are location, time and context dependent.

At this stage, I think we both see where the other is coming from so there's little point beating it to death and there are many better places to read about the arguments. Austrian economics just tends to reject the idea of intrinsic value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjective_theory_of_value
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 07:01:35 PM

Coin
Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 12829 12830 12831 12832 12833 12834 12835 12836 12837 12838 12839 12840 12841 12842 12843 12844 12845 12846 12847 12848 12849 12850 12851 12852 12853 12854 12855 12856 12857 12858 12859 12860 12861 12862 12863 12864 12865 12866 12867 12868 12869 12870 12871 12872 12873 12874 12875 12876 12877 12878 [12879] 12880 12881 12882 12883 12884 12885 12886 12887 12888 12889 12890 12891 12892 12893 12894 12895 12896 12897 12898 12899 12900 12901 12902 12903 12904 12905 12906 12907 12908 12909 12910 12911 12912 12913 12914 12915 12916 12917 12918 12919 12920 12921 12922 12923 12924 12925 12926 12927 12928 12929 ... 33344 »
  Print  

Jump to: