May 02, 2024, 09:49:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 13756 13757 13758 13759 13760 13761 13762 13763 13764 13765 13766 13767 13768 13769 13770 13771 13772 13773 13774 13775 13776 13777 13778 13779 13780 13781 13782 13783 13784 13785 13786 13787 13788 13789 13790 13791 13792 13793 13794 13795 13796 13797 13798 13799 13800 13801 13802 13803 13804 13805 [13806] 13807 13808 13809 13810 13811 13812 13813 13814 13815 13816 13817 13818 13819 13820 13821 13822 13823 13824 13825 13826 13827 13828 13829 13830 13831 13832 13833 13834 13835 13836 13837 13838 13839 13840 13841 13842 13843 13844 13845 13846 13847 13848 13849 13850 13851 13852 13853 13854 13855 13856 ... 33316 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371082 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ynef

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:06:42 PM

3 more hours and the USMS will notify the winning bidder that his bid has been selected.
including the price per bitcoin?

I think the winning bidder has quite a good idea what his bid was, no need for the USMS to remind him.
11 people were bidders and nobody knows (unless the bidders work together secretly)

Really, only 11 bidders?  That is fairly bearish news, if true.  Didn't we have close to 30 bidders in previous auctions?

Yeah.
http://www.coindesk.com/bidder-turnout-low-silk-road-bitcoin-auction/

Although it doesn't necessarily mean bears in my opinion. The amount of coins was nothing compared to previous auctions as well.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:09:08 PM

Although it doesn't necessarily mean bears in my opinion. The amount of coins was nothing compared to previous auctions as well.

It was broadly similar in quantity to previous auctions.
mr angry

Activity: 298
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:11:07 PM

3 more hours and the USMS will notify the winning bidder that his bid has been selected.

I think the winning bidder has quite a good idea what his bid was, no need for the USMS to remind him.
11 people were bidders and nobody knows (unless the bidders work together secretly)

Really, only 11 bidders?  That is fairly bearish news, if true.  Didn't we have close to 30 bidders in previous auctions?

only the first one

11 was a tie with with another auction, lowest precipitation, as the twins said, it's kinda pointless to go to these you're pretty much guaranteed to buy at the top.

Not if you put in a really cheapskate bid and it wins because nobody else made any bids. They have to pay some money to bid plus make a deposit. I don't think they get the bidding fee back, but the deposit gets returned so it doesn't cost silly money to put a cheapskate bid on.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:13:29 PM

Yeah.

Thanks for that link.  That may clear up one point for me, and it appears that in a couple of hours, the bidders find out whether they won or not, which could affect their behavior concerning whether they buy more coins or not with the proceeds that they had allocated for potentially winning some of the blocks.

Further, it appears that the public would not find out about the identity of the bidder until Monday, at the earliest, and that is if the winning bidder were to chose to disclose such information.

Gosh.  There must have been some crazy spread in the bids this time around based on the then price fluctuations of BTC prices.

bButtercup

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:13:36 PM

even i'm bearish.

time for me to buy.

Ma sent me money now
I'm gonna make it somehow
I need another chance
You see your baby loves to dance
Yeah...
          yeah...
                      yeaah
ynef

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:13:53 PM

It was broadly similar in quantity to previous auctions.

You're right, didn't pay attention Tongue
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:15:22 PM

if blocksize gets an issue it will be solved in 24h

its not a big deal, more a question of details

ideialy there wouldnt be this "blocksize" issue in the first place

but there is

so how do we deal with it

dealing with it by ignoring it until it actually start to mess shit up and then saying " that's fine! bitcoin was meant to be slow and costly, using the holly ledger is a privilege! " is wrong.

on ther other hand gavins proposal is equally ridiculous to the other extream.

i'm confident devs will implement a happy middle ground

On what do you base this confidence? Past performance? 
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:16:01 PM

I cannot verify the validity of his shaking arrow upwards, but I wholeheartedly agree nonetheless.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:16:32 PM

but there is

dealing with it by ignoring it until it actually start to mess shit up and then saying " that's fine! bitcoin was meant to be slow and costly, using the holly ledger is a privilege! " is wrong.

bitcoin is up and running, isnt it?
ynef

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:16:39 PM

Yeah.

Thanks for that link.  That may clear up one point for me, and it appears that in a couple of hours, the bidders find out whether they won or not, which could affect their behavior concerning whether they buy more coins or not with the proceeds that they had allocated for potentially winning some of the blocks.

Further, it appears that the public would not find out about the identity of the bidder until Monday, at the earliest, and that is if the winning bidder were to chose to disclose such information.

Gosh.  There must have been some crazy spread in the bids this time around based on the then price fluctuations of BTC prices.

We won't know their names, but we'll probably see the result soon enough. China (apparently) isn't pumping anything any more so the auction might have an effect after all.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:18:43 PM

only the first one

11 was a tie with with another auction, lowest precipitation, as the twins said, it's kinda pointless to go to these you're pretty much guaranteed to buy at the top.

Not if you put in a really cheapskate bid and it wins because nobody else made any bids. They have to pay some money to bid plus make a deposit. I don't think they get the bidding fee back, but the deposit gets returned so it doesn't cost silly money to put a cheapskate bid on.

Does anybody know the fee that they have to pay in order to bid? 

That's a little bit crazy that there is a fee (but upon reflection it does make some sense to have some kind of fee for the government to ensure some sure revenue from the administration of the process, and it may provide a bit more assurance of serious bidders).  Likely the non-refundable fee affects how much bidders are willing to bid, depending on how large is that fee.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:22:07 PM

Yeah.

We won't know their names, but we'll probably see the result soon enough. China (apparently) isn't pumping anything any more so the auction might have an effect after all.

Don't count China out. 

I'm sure that there are plenty of bitcoin enthusiasts (or maybe some would call them speculators) who may be waiting for fairly clear signs of a trend reversal before they return to pumping (or buying) mode.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:22:35 PM

Looks like you had to place a deposit rather than pay a fee. I guess otherwise they'd be swamped with reddit morons for the lulz.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2015/dpr-february-auction/

"Example 1: A bid to purchase three (3) blocks of Series A for the same per bitcoin price (e.g. $X per bitcoin for 6,000 Series A bitcoins) requires ONE registration form for Series A with a $100,000 deposit. Use ONE Bid Form to bid for ALL THREE Series A blocks.

Example 2: A bid to purchase three (3) blocks of Series A for the same per bitcoin price (e.g. $X per bitcoin for 6,000 Series A bitcoins), and two (2) blocks of Series B for the same per bitcoin price (e.g. $Y per bitcoin for 6,000 Series B bitcoins) requires ONE registration form for BOTH Series A and B with a $250,000 deposit ($100,000 for Series A plus $150,000 for Series B). Use ONE Bid Form to bid for Series A AND Series B blocks. Note that the per-bitcoin price for Series A does not need to match the Series B per-bitcoin price.

Example 3: Three (3) separate bids to purchase blocks of Series A at different prices (e.g. $X per bitcoin for 2,000 bitcoins, $Y per bitcoin for 2,000 bitcoins, and $Z per bitcoin for 2,000 bitcoins) requires THREE separate registration forms (EACH selecting Series A), and a $300,000 deposit ($100,000 for EACH registration). Use THREE Bid Forms, ONE FOR EACH Series A block. Note that each registration also permits a bidder to register for other Series (requiring additional deposits)."
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:27:17 PM

but there is

from what i see, the scaling conference, the open letter from devs, the on going discussion about it.

it seems pretty clear something will be done about it, extcal what and when is up in the air.

also what's encouraging is that there is still a lot of room for improvement in a few aspects of the protocol, after a little bit of study 2 months ago i concluded we could grow the network 250 times bigger without demanding more bandwidth than is currently being used, if all these improvements were rolled out. and from there i think 10-100 X increase in bandwidth requirements to run a full node isn't all that crazy, so from where i'm standing bitcoin can potently scale by a factor of 2500 - 25000 while still being very decentralized.

of course i'm probably being a little optimistic on these potential coding gains. but i ain't worried about scalability anymore.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:35:15 PM

Looks like you had to place a deposit rather than pay a fee. I guess otherwise they'd be swamped with reddit morons for the lulz.

http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2015/dpr-february-auction/

"Example 1: A bid to purchase three (3) blocks of Series A for the same per bitcoin price (e.g. $X per bitcoin for 6,000 Series A bitcoins) requires ONE registration form for Series A with a $100,000 deposit. Use ONE Bid Form to bid for ALL THREE Series A blocks.

Example 2: A bid to purchase three (3) blocks of Series A for the same per bitcoin price (e.g. $X per bitcoin for 6,000 Series A bitcoins), and two (2) blocks of Series B for the same per bitcoin price (e.g. $Y per bitcoin for 6,000 Series B bitcoins) requires ONE registration form for BOTH Series A and B with a $250,000 deposit ($100,000 for Series A plus $150,000 for Series B). Use ONE Bid Form to bid for Series A AND Series B blocks. Note that the per-bitcoin price for Series A does not need to match the Series B per-bitcoin price.

Example 3: Three (3) separate bids to purchase blocks of Series A at different prices (e.g. $X per bitcoin for 2,000 bitcoins, $Y per bitcoin for 2,000 bitcoins, and $Z per bitcoin for 2,000 bitcoins) requires THREE separate registration forms (EACH selecting Series A), and a $300,000 deposit ($100,000 for EACH registration). Use THREE Bid Forms, ONE FOR EACH Series A block. Note that each registration also permits a bidder to register for other Series (requiring additional deposits)."

Thanks for clarifying that.  One of the previous posters had mentioned a non-refundable fee, and that was the first time that I had heard of such a non-refundable fee.   A non-refundable fee could make sense, but as your linked materials point out, a non-refundable fee is not based on the real practice that is in place for this auction.  And, surely this auction is going to bring in plenty of revenue for our dear Uncle, and he should not need various fees in order to be able to pay for the costs of administering the servicing of the auction.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:36:32 PM

but there is

from what i see, the scaling conference, the open letter from devs, the on going discussion about it.

it seems pretty clear something will be done about it, extcal what and when is up in the air.

also what's encouraging is that there is still a lot of room for improvement in a few aspects of the protocol, after a little bit of study 2 months ago i concluded we could grow the network 250 times bigger without demanding more bandwidth than is currently being used, if all these improvements were rolled out. and from there i think 10-100 X increase in bandwidth requirements to run a full node isn't all that crazy, so from where i'm standing bitcoin can potently scale by a factor of 2500 - 25000 while still being very decentralized.

of course i'm probably being a little optimistic on these potential coding gains. but i ain't worried about scalability anymore.

To anyone reading these this "study" was based on flawed assumptions and rather broken understanding of how Bitcoin's gossip network operates.

TL;DR the claims in this post don't match reality
mr angry

Activity: 298
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:37:34 PM

You're right, I thought there was a fee, but didn't read that page. I thought they charged the losing bidders at least the value of the bank transfer fee to return their deposits, but that page doesn't mention it. The Feds must pay the bank transfer fees out of all the money they got for the Bitcoins.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2015, 08:37:56 PM

There are legitimate philosophical differences on what type of network Bitcoin should be.  There are also political differences and it seems to me that someone behind the scenes is intentionally exacerbating these differences to prevent progress. Of course I have no evidence that is not circumstantial, but even if I am wrong, the failure of the various factions to find ANY common ground is cause for concern at the very least.
bButtercup

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:40:19 PM

21 Inc's Bitcoin computer can stick twice as many bits in a block already, and it makes you money.
infofront (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:41:22 PM

There are legitimate philosophical differences on what type of network Bitcoin should be.  There are also political differences and it seems to me that someone behind the scenes is intentionally exacerbating these differences to prevent progress. Of course I have no evidence that is not circumstantial, but even if I am wrong, the failure of the various factions to find ANY common ground is cause for concern at the very least.

This was a very interesting article written by Mike Hearn: https://medium.com/@octskyward/on-block-sizes-e047bc9f830
It sheds a lot of light on what's been going on with the developers behind the scenes, and a potential major conflict of interest.
Pages: « 1 ... 13756 13757 13758 13759 13760 13761 13762 13763 13764 13765 13766 13767 13768 13769 13770 13771 13772 13773 13774 13775 13776 13777 13778 13779 13780 13781 13782 13783 13784 13785 13786 13787 13788 13789 13790 13791 13792 13793 13794 13795 13796 13797 13798 13799 13800 13801 13802 13803 13804 13805 [13806] 13807 13808 13809 13810 13811 13812 13813 13814 13815 13816 13817 13818 13819 13820 13821 13822 13823 13824 13825 13826 13827 13828 13829 13830 13831 13832 13833 13834 13835 13836 13837 13838 13839 13840 13841 13842 13843 13844 13845 13846 13847 13848 13849 13850 13851 13852 13853 13854 13855 13856 ... 33316 »
  Print  

Jump to: