May 11, 2024, 04:31:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 26294 26295 26296 26297 26298 26299 26300 26301 26302 26303 26304 26305 26306 26307 26308 26309 26310 26311 26312 26313 26314 26315 26316 26317 26318 26319 26320 26321 26322 26323 26324 26325 26326 26327 26328 26329 26330 26331 26332 26333 26334 26335 26336 26337 26338 26339 26340 26341 26342 26343 [26344] 26345 26346 26347 26348 26349 26350 26351 26352 26353 26354 26355 26356 26357 26358 26359 26360 26361 26362 26363 26364 26365 26366 26367 26368 26369 26370 26371 26372 26373 26374 26375 26376 26377 26378 26379 26380 26381 26382 26383 26384 26385 26386 26387 26388 26389 26390 26391 26392 26393 26394 ... 33342 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381854 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 03:02:21 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2020, 06:01:31 PM by Last of the V8s

https://twitter.com/EricRWeinstein/status/1250679997074825216
The SF futurists lost a dynamic figure last night. A memorable person who was always (literally) singing to me whenever she would suddenly appear in my life, only to vanish and reappear. In the crazy vibrant SF tapestry, she was one of the most colorful threads.

RIP @tonilanec .

https://vimeo.com/137399969 some post-truths here but nvm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FUZTqHTcQ

What a sad business. R.I.P.

edit: wait wut the plot thickens https://twitter.com/TlcGhost

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 918

fly or die

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 03:27:15 PM

... sars-cov-2 is communist dragon virus with bioengineered HIV inserts ... confirmed.

https://www.gilmorehealth.com/chinese-coronavirus-is-a-man-made-virus-according-to-luc-montagnier-the-man-who-discovered-hiv/
Contrary to the narrative that is being pushed by the mainstream that the COVID 19 virus was the result of a natural mutation and that it was transmitted to humans from bats via pangolins, Dr Luc Montagnier the man who discovered the HIV virus back in 1983 disagrees and is saying that the virus was man made.

Professor Luc Montagnier, 2008 Nobel Prize winner for Medicine, claims that SARS-CoV-2 is a manipulated virus that was accidentally released from a laboratory in Wuhan, China. Chinese researchers are said to have used coronaviruses in their work to develop an AIDS vaccine. HIV DNA fragments are believed to have been found in the SARS-CoV-2 genome.

... According to Professor Luc Montagnier, winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 2008 for “discovering” HIV as the cause of the AIDS epidemic together with Françoise Barré-Sinoussi, the SARS-CoV-2 is a virus that was manipulated and accidentally released from a laboratory in Wuhan, China, in the last quarter of 2019. According to Professor Montagnier, this laboratory, known for its work on coronaviruses, tried to use one of these viruses as a vector for HIV in the search for an AIDS vaccine

(my only aim with providing all these virus links is to emphasise to the mostly good people on WO here ... go to any length to not get this fucking thing ... do not listen to the paid shills, con artists and disinformationists flooding the forums and mainstream news with deathly, dangerously false information, deceptions and reckless lies ... from day one all governments, mainstream science and intelligence agencies have been lying and covering up because the truth terrifies them or if not they are provably stupid ... I think my work here is done now the truth is coming out, stay safe peeps, stay informed, don't listen to the scared liars and the stupid)

Confirmed by a nutter, yes a nutter with a Nobel prize, but a nutter nonetheless, who believes in the memory of water...
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 03:30:36 PM

no idea what's going on

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 03:36:49 PM

... sars-cov-2 is communist dragon virus with bioengineered HIV inserts ... confirmed.

He may have done something big 40 years ago, but now he's talking nonsense: "Nature does not accept any molecular tinkering, it will eliminate these unnatural changes". Nature doesn't work like that. It can't distinguish "natural" or "unnatural" changes.

Here's a better analysis of the virus: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7033698/

Maybe, but I agree about elimination of unnatural changes. If someone introduces a sequence into a genome, it would most likely be eliminated after a while due to negative selection or neutral mutations. In other words, it would not be selected FOR and therefore eventually disappear.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4482

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 03:57:56 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland.

Still over $7k (barely)... currently $7050USD/$9896CAD (Bitcoinaverage).

Another day another wait.

By the way, in those days the glass bottles were used over and over again.  Recycling as it should be I dare to suggest.

yeah. the glass was so scratched up from use that some almost looked liked sea glass.  i still wonder how many times around some of those bottles had been to get a look like that.

This made me google "refillable beer bottle" and most of what I got was about Oregon bringing out the "return" of the refillable beer bottle.

In Ontario, we've always had and still have returnable beer bottles. In the  1960s, 1970s and into the 1980s they were "stubbies", short robust bottles that took up less room in your fridge, stayed cold longer, and didn't tip over as easily. You could also carry more cases of 24 at once and still see over the top. They were reused  up to 15 times each. They were mostly replaced by long neck bottles during the 1980s but they too are returnable.

Here in Mexico most beer is sold in cans but what is still bottled is in refillable bottles with a fairly hefty deposit. Most single serving bottles are used in bars and restaurants. The only bottles sold in most stores are "caguama" (sea turtle) 1.2 liter (42 imp oz) refillable bottles, the cheapest way to buy beer.

When I was a kid, all milk and soda pop was sold in refillable bottles with bottle deposits. You could buy a coke "drink-in" for $.05, take-out cost $.07.

Isn't inflation fun? Thank you Bitcoin.
Toxic2040
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 04:36:08 PM

Good morning Bitcoinland.

Still over $7k (barely)... currently $7050USD/$9896CAD (Bitcoinaverage).

Another day another wait.

-snipo-

Isn't inflation fun? Thank you Bitcoin.

Toxic2040
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 04:44:44 PM

Hey all..good morning.

Some local clouds building ahead as we take a look at the one hour chart. Looks to be filling in nicely...might be able to support some weight pretty soon. Accumulation continues.  #dyor

1h

#stronghands
JSRAW
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1538

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 04:54:25 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (4), vapourminer (1), JayJuanGee (1)

Plz do your own calculation for next couple of weeks...

https://twitter.com/ChartsBtc/status/1251177656273403904
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10240

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 05:37:36 PM

Increase your Security with the Latest Trezor Updates
https://blog.trezor.io/increase-your-security-with-the-latest-trezor-updates-6ed984fb5c18

(@JJG this is how you manage private keys, acts as a password manager too)

I think that we were referring to back-up codes as well.

The initial problem was presented by Elwar in terms of leaving his trezor on a seastead, but then also being able to get to his backup codes, so Elwar also described scenarios of leaving all or part of back up codes with various relatives or trusted persons.

Yeah, of course, there can be remote wipe, but then the back up keys need to be kept somewhere, too, and having remote wipe does not protect you so well if you give your back up keys to someone who is sloppy with their securing of sensitive information... so remote wipe is not going to address all scenarios in which you lose access to your device or if you give back up information to people who are not sufficiently responsible.
VB1001
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 2540

<<CypherPunkCat>>

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2020, 05:49:40 PM
Merited by jojo69 (1)

I have lost count of how many fridays I am without having a good beer in my favorite pub or dining in a restaurant, friday is the day I go out with my wife, now for the reasons that we all know, it is not possible, we will do it all the ways, but we will have dinner at home, for this I will prepare the table with all the details, good wine, good music, good company and I will enjoy the night every minute, I recommend that you do the same.
Happy friday to everyone.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 05:52:56 PM

go to any length to not get this fucking thing
Not any length. However bad it turns out to be, the worst it can do is kill you. And those who survive have to live on.

I will not, for example, wear a mask. I will not live in a culture where people hide their face and we should not be encouraging it.

I do not wear gloves when I go shopping. Several years of living with that kind of paranoia will do lasting psychological damage.

I did stay away from my boomer dad for two weeks after coming back from asia (by mutual agreement from the entire family). I do not have a place to live on account of having expected to travel for a year or more, so I am moving into an apartment with my mom for the time being so we don't accidentally kill him. She is a nurse and will be going back to work within the week.

And mainly, it is not possible to avoid this virus. As in literally not possible. What we can do, and should do, is wash your fucking hands after taking a shit you cretins and generally be more careful about bugs than we used to be. The main point is to stay healthy, optimistic so as not to destroy your immune system that way, and try to keep the spread at a level the health system can handle.

Ultimately our own immune system is the only realistic way to beat this bug. Any vaccine that is developed in less than a year can not be trusted, so we are in this for a while longer.

If you are living with a nurse who might become exposed to the virus, then you also could become exposed to the virus through that means, if not through other ways that you are suggesting that you might not need to engage in some protective measures, whether wearing a mask or gloves.

Even people who want to wear masks and gloves in certain scenarios are limited in their ability to accomplish their wish because there has not really been serious efforts to make those kinds of PPE available to the public.

Seems to me that opening back up is going to require a lot of things, and too bad that there are so many leaders who do not seem to be taking preparation seriously enough in order to really be able to open back up, which would be ramping up certain ppe to be available for medical first and for the public too.  Also, there is going to have to be some serious testing efforts at some point.  Likely only takes a few cases in any particular community to really spread across vast swaths of the community in a pretty quick time, so if there are not means to attempt to nip the cases in the budd, then reopening will just result in a bunch of new cases (and by extension seemingly exponential spread) that could have been avoided.

Of course some of the facilities are the worst for spreading, such as nursing homes and prisons, and gosh just one visit to granny could end up infecting 100 elderly folks if they are in a facility that has not figured out ways to deal with nipping any cases in the budd.  We all want to visit granny, and we do not want granny to suffer from social isolation in her final years, so surely, it is better if things could get back to normal, but how can that be accomplished with blinders and if testing is not being done and if ppe is not available (even if it is wanting to be used) for certain kinds of close contacts?
Cryptotourist

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755

Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 06:01:00 PM

We get to see in real time which philosophies work, which are bunk, and just how clear and pretty the skies can get.

The last part is very impressive imo.
It makes me look at this whole thing from an artful positive perspective.

And the sea.

Toxic2040
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 06:16:55 PM
Merited by VB1001 (1)

I have lost count of how many fridays I am without having a good beer in my favorite pub or dining in a restaurant, friday is the day I go out with my wife, now for the reasons that we all know, it is not possible, we will do it all the ways, but we will have dinner at home, for this I will prepare the table with all the details, good wine, good music, good company and I will enjoy the night every minute, I recommend that you do the same.
Happy friday to everyone.

Happy Friday VB     

Not quite noon yet..but I think I will join you having a cold snack...cheers.

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 06:38:45 PM

He may have done something big 40 years ago, but now he's talking nonsense: "Nature does not accept any molecular tinkering, it will eliminate these unnatural changes". Nature doesn't work like that. It can't distinguish "natural" or "unnatural" changes.

Here's a better analysis of the virus: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7033698/

Maybe, but I agree about elimination of unnatural changes. If someone introduces a sequence into a genome, it would most likely be eliminated after a while due to negative selection or neutral mutations. In other words, it would not be selected FOR and therefore eventually disappear.

Why not? The distinction people make between natural and artificial is arbitrary. We are products of evolution, literally anything we do is natural. Acid rain, islands of plastic in the pacific, buildings that literally pierce the clouds, the bottle of alcohol I'm drinking from a pile of heated and shaped sand. All natural.

Something either aids the spread of a virus, or it doesn't.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 07:01:33 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), AlcoHoDL (1), JSRAW (1)

I think you store your private key in such a way is too risky. Your family members think it is not important to them. So they will not take care of your private key carefully. The possibility of losing will be very high. My solution is that you store in highly secure cloud storage applications that specialize in password management such as 1Password, Lastpass. The mechanism of these applications is 02-layer security. So you are assured of the security of your private key. Good luck.

^ WTF JJG you are meriting a post advising to store private keys in some third party cloud?

Repeat after me: https://youtube.com/watch?v=dnC5mFaIW3Q

Actually, you are correct that 1password or lastpass are probably better for just maintaining various passwords, and maybe some back up to authentication codes that allow the recovery of various passwords, but would not be good for private keys.   so yeah.. I just was thinking more about the password management aspect of that, so probably, I did not think through that scenario very well in terms of actually putting private keys in there....

I had not, actually, done anything like that for my private keys, but I have been finding the managing of passwords to be quite frustrating and so I was largely thinking about password managers as a kind of possible solution for getting some of the chaos of password managing in order.

I merited hung58 because I thought that he was bringing up some good points rather than my own thinking of following specifics, and in that regard, I also thought that hung58 made a decent point about the risk of giving too much information to some people (such as relatives or close friends) who might be kind of sloppy in their own managing of information, so if you give them your information, there is no real guarantee that they would be more protective of your information, and they might even be less protective of your information as compared with their own information...

Anyhow, it is not about NOT trusting those potential other persons, but the acknowledgement that some people are just sloppy as fuck with their own password management or even their personal information so if you give information to them regarding your personals, then maybe they end up posting that information on their fridge, but they make it more secure by posting it upside down, so that they don't forget that the information is important... which carries a decent amount of risk, too... which I believe is part of the issue (or potential problem) that hung58 was bringing out.
Thank you for your reward. Perhaps the solution I have come up with is not well accepted by many because they think it is too risky to store a private key or, in other words, currency in third-party applications. But I believe that if you choose a reputable third-party application that is widely recognized for the security of your cryptography like 1Password. I think people send a large amount of money to the bank because they trust the credibility and protect the information and property of customers. For me, I believe in the security of the 1Password application and I have never been exposed to my account passwords when I backed up passwords on this application. You can see more about the video introducing how the security operation of 1Password
https://youtu.be/mcly2-b1W20.

Criticisms about holding actual private keys in the cloud or with a third party remains a valid criticism of 1password or any other password management service, especially if we are dealing with relatively large amounts of BTC, so any of us who employ various levels of security or various ways of holding our coins have to consider trade-offs that will exist with each of the kinds of storage vehicles and ways of backing up our storage, and also yeah considering how much access that we want to have for the various locations might be a consideration too.  

Let's say for example, you have various amounts of BTC that you store with differing levels of ability to access those BTC which would also guide you in how much security to place in those differing kinds of wallets and what kinds of maximum quantities of BTC that you might place in each of the kinds of wallets.

So, hypothetically, maybe you have four categories of wallets (storage vehicles/backups).  

1) amounts of $1 to $500 that you would carry around for daily spending, like you would carry cash in a billfold... so maybe it is on your phone, etc., and if you get robbed, it would not be the end of the world for you - just like if you are walking down the street and someone takes your apple watch, your iphone or your computer, maybe you are out a couple of thousand, and maybe you have to struggle for a while to save up to repurchase those items, but you have not been robbed of your life savings... and so if you realize that you may be vulnerable to losing these kinds of valuables and currencies under certain conditions.. just like maybe if you are going to a bad neighborhood you might bring your burner phone rather than your best phone and you might not wear your watch or carry your computer and you might also reduce the amount of BTC or dollars that you are carrying in your wallet(s) (electronic or otherwise).

2) amounts of $500 to $9k.... you might have access to these wallets on your person or even hidden on you person or in your phone or computer, but you can still feel comfortable crossing borders and not having to declare any of those values because they are under $10k, and add up to less than $10k even with all of them added together...

3) amounts of $9k to $40k .... you might have these so that you could access those funds in an emergency, but you might have it so that it may take you a day or two to get access to them, but you have access to them with a reasonable amount of efforts (and maybe not carrying on your person) and maybe private keys to these amounts or lower could be stored on 1password or some similar kinds of secure cloud services

4) amounts of $40k or more - maybe life savings and amounts that you might not need to access on a regular basis, but you use the highest level of security for these funds, including that you would not put private keys for such in the cloud or with any third party service...   You might even cause that you have to jump through a number of hoops in order to get access to these funds including geography and/or other people or other devices and you would want to make sure that you have the private keys to these backed up in very secure ways.. but not so secure that you end up NOT knowing how to access the funds... and screwing yourself out of your own high level of funds.   The life-savings funds might be in several wallets, too... but employs the most security out of any of your funds that you can figure out... and maybe even changing the way that you secure these funds based on changes in technology or changes in your confidence regarding how to use the security features associated with those means of storage/backup.

So, yeah, I am suggesting that maybe the private keys or the backups for funds kept in categories 1-3 could reasonably be kept in 1password or some similar kind of secure service, and maybe some people would be hesitant regarding keeping category 3 in such cloud/third party services, so we will differ in our opinions about how much is enough and even assessing the risks, but there may also be amounts that we have or might have that go beyond what we should be entrusting to keep our private keys or backups in a program like 1password, unless there might be some means that we feel comfortable to camouflage the information that is reasonably not going to cause us to either be vulnerable or to lose our own funds through over complications.. or some other protective means that brings us comfort.  

Of course, if you have not acquired certain high levels of wealth that make you feel vulnerable to have stored in ways that you might lose them or someone might get access to them, then you do not necessarily think about category 4 kinds of storage/backup until you believe that you have reached that level, which also could change with the passage of time.  

Let's say, for example, in late 2015, you had accumulated about $10k in BTC, which you perceived to fit well underneath any kind of 4th category threshold.  In late 2015, BTC prices were around $250, so that would have been about 40 BTC... no big deal, right?  

But then all of a sudden, over the next 2 years, your 40 BTC went from being valued at $10k, and they were valued at $780k towards the end of 2017 when BTC prices reached $19,666, and even today, with BTC prices around $7k, your hypothetical 40BTC would be worth $280k, which is well into category 4, as I have framed those categories above.  

So, yeah, even though in late 2015, you had thought that you had a reasonable amount of BTC that was being stored and backed up in 1password and in a way that was sufficiently comfortable for you, and even though you thought that you had adequately thought through your security, risks and vulnerabilities, the rise in BTC prices should have reasonably triggered you to reconsider your security, your back ups and the risks that you are taking in your storage and/or backups.
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 3008

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 07:05:09 PM

Why not? The distinction people make between natural and artificial is arbitrary. We are products of evolution, literally anything we do is natural. Acid rain, islands of plastic in the pacific, buildings that literally pierce the clouds, the bottle of alcohol I'm drinking from a pile of heated and shaped sand. All natural.

Something either aids the spread of a virus, or it doesn't.

So, you're telling us that money is natural, including cryptocurrencies, right?

EDIT
You know what's also natural:
Some people use their mind, some people are used by their mind.
Bitcoinaire

Activity: 696
Merit: 439

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 07:23:21 PM

We're in the midst of our 5th green weekly candle. I think we can pop bigly, soon.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 07:35:13 PM

Some people use their mind, some people are used by their mind.

drugs

Grin
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 8066

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 07:44:06 PM

We're in the midst of our 5th green weekly candle. I think we can pop bigly, soon.

https://youtu.be/eoDDnOUKDQI

jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
April 17, 2020, 07:48:31 PM

just got back from our bi-weekly supply run, what a fucking chore

distancing with a shopping trolley is like playing a 90s 2D platformer

processing all the suspect packaging, re-dis-infecting the vehicle entry and control surfaces...pain in the bleeding ass

I wish I believed it would ever be "over"
Pages: « 1 ... 26294 26295 26296 26297 26298 26299 26300 26301 26302 26303 26304 26305 26306 26307 26308 26309 26310 26311 26312 26313 26314 26315 26316 26317 26318 26319 26320 26321 26322 26323 26324 26325 26326 26327 26328 26329 26330 26331 26332 26333 26334 26335 26336 26337 26338 26339 26340 26341 26342 26343 [26344] 26345 26346 26347 26348 26349 26350 26351 26352 26353 26354 26355 26356 26357 26358 26359 26360 26361 26362 26363 26364 26365 26366 26367 26368 26369 26370 26371 26372 26373 26374 26375 26376 26377 26378 26379 26380 26381 26382 26383 26384 26385 26386 26387 26388 26389 26390 26391 26392 26393 26394 ... 33342 »
  Print  

Jump to: