May 06, 2024, 05:06:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 14517 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 14538 14539 14540 14541 14542 14543 14544 14545 14546 14547 [14548] 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 14593 14594 14595 14596 14597 14598 ... 33326 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372703 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:10:20 PM

This doesn't merit a thread of its own, so here in the "lounge" it goes:

Is it possible to implement 2 MB blocks in different, incompatible ways? If, say, Bitcoin Classic got the support needed to trigger 2MB production to start, and Core also switched to 2MB blocks, could they still be incapable of operating on the same blockchain? I'm not saying it's likely to be done if possible, just curious.

I think you'd have to work hard to do it. Though I think the party line from Core is to push Segwit as if it is an actual block size increase so that might count.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:11:06 PM

right and if 75% of miners went to some fork probably 99.9% would come join them shortly after and then who cares about anything else?

Technically all that is needed for a hard fork is 51% of sustained hashing power, any number above that is completely arbitrary, but does change the social contract a bit IMHO... when devs choose 75% of the last 1k blocks to execute a countdown for deployment it is more democratic in nature where a majority can coerce or ostracize a minority. Selecting a higher threshold of 95% is much more anarchistic in nature where one needs near complete consensus before the consensus rules are changed in a hardfork.

What I find troubling is I keep hearing many misinformed users who are under the impression that the miners decide on consensus rules when in fact it is the nodes that vote on consensus rules.

The Vote is = The longest valid PoW chain, with an emphasis on valid and only nodes deciding what is and isn't valid. The miners can hash all they want on an invalid chain , but they won't be necessarily following the nodes or economic majority.

This matters because when you look at how the hardforks are rolled out they are not polling the nodes but miners for an rough and indirect means of determining node support. There very well could be a dangerous situation where 75% of miners decide to fork , but over 75% of nodes and the economic consensus decides not to which would be very dangerous.  This is why I recommend that all hardforks have at least 95% consensus of blocks within the last 1k to activate a countdown. Luckily Bitcoin classic still has time to change their minds from 75% to 95% as they have yet to release code.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 05:14:23 PM

CuntChocula

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:17:43 PM

right and if 75% of miners went to some fork probably 99.9% would come join them shortly after and then who cares about anything else?

Technically all that is needed for a hard fork is 51% of sustained hashing power, any number above that is completely arbitrary, but does change the social contract a bit IMHO... when devs choose 75% of the last 1k blocks to execute a countdown for deployment it is more democratic in nature where a majority can coerce or ostracize a minority. Selecting a higher threshold of 95% is much more anarchistic in nature where one needs near complete consensus before the consensus rules are changed in a hardfork.

What I find troubling is I keep hearing many misinformed users who are under the impression that the miners decide on consensus rules when in fact it is the nodes that vote on consensus rules.

The Vote is = The longest valid PoW chain, with an emphasis on valid and only nodes deciding what is and isn't valid. The miners can hash all they want on an invalid chain , but they won't be necessarily following the nodes or economic majority.

This matters because when you look at how the hardforks are rolled out they are not polling the nodes but miners for an rough and indirect means of determining node support. There very well could be a dangerous situation where 75% of miners decide to fork , but over 75% of nodes and the economic consensus decides not to which would be very dangerous.  This is why I recommend that all hardforks have at least 95% consensus of blocks within the last 1k to activate a countdown. Luckily Bitcoin classic still has time to change their minds from 75% to 95% as they have yet to release code.

So it should be possible to break Bitcoin's consensus mechanism via node creation? Aren't nodes ridiculously cheap to set up?
Walk me through what you mean by boldface above, what are the potential outcomes?
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:19:58 PM

This doesn't merit a thread of its own, so here in the "lounge" it goes:

Is it possible to implement 2 MB blocks in different, incompatible ways? If, say, Bitcoin Classic got the support needed to trigger 2MB production to start, and Core also switched to 2MB blocks, could they still be incapable of operating on the same blockchain? I'm not saying it's likely to be done if possible, just curious.

It all depends on if the 2 implementations follow the same consensus rules. There can only be one set of consensus rules per chain and as soon as an implementation has active code that is following different consensus rules a fork occurs and alt created because all nodes no longer consider those tx's as valid.

The miners are ultimately at the mercy of the nodes and economic majority.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:21:24 PM

Bitcoin was bound to go back to $400.- I didn't expected this rise so fast, i thought a test $350 ore so then to $400.

they cant go to 350.00, they can be hardballed there.

seems to be the case <350 is starting to feel like a pipe dream, if it was going to happen it should have already

my guess is price SHOULD BE much higher... but bitcoin isn't some Softball US Stock, so who knows!

maybe is why the hearn thing happened, he might be thinking same as u about it would have already if it were going too .. $350 is hardball because from there they would get stuck in a smaller range, or peeps like me and you will win if they go up or down from there... buying at 400-500 range is not very strong position since you are relying on the price to go up from there rather than down .. i do not believe they can beat me at hardball if i bought at 300 - 350 .. i really dont want to buy above 300 though, but if i did, i am confident i would woop em at their game. i don't believe at this time we will see <350 anytime soon much less <300 before halving. i think <350 we can buy in w new fiat and force the win though .

your not thinking long term enough in 6-24months there simply wont be any supply at these prices, price might need to climb an order of magnitude once bitcoin is over this block limit crap and supply drops. there are very useful applications to bitcoin poeple are going to find them and use them save some money and make bitcoin price explode.

going up.

i have cold storage coins for that... at least for me, buying at 400 - 500 to HODL would be a position that relies on bitcoin to go up.. i don't like that position, i prefer a position that doesnt matter which way they go i will win .. anything could happen.. i still think bitfinex is a weakened link in the bitcoin chain.. proceed with caution .
yefi
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1511

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:29:04 PM

Nice try Hearn, but you haven't got the power to stop this train.
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:32:05 PM

So it should be possible to break Bitcoin's consensus mechanism via node creation? Aren't nodes ridiculously cheap to set up?
Walk me through what you mean by boldface above, what are the potential outcomes?

You are generally a troll and "cunt" that I ignore but I will make an exception because this appears to be a valid question :

What is of importance is the economic majority that backs those nodes. A node is only as secure and useful to the network insomuch as it has unique and active users behind such nodes. Thus nodes that are in control of exchanges/merchants/processors/Wallets are typically more important than regular nodes and nodes without active users can be malicious.

Case in point -  A certain btc company recently decided to assist the community with a PR stunt by deploying hundreds of nodes with multiple amazon Ec2 instances without users actively securing them and using them. This type of deployment hurts the bitcoin ecosystem and makes it less decentralized.

Another way to understand the power dynamic is what good or mined coins from 75% of the mining community if the other 75% of the economic majority doesn't except them in their stores, exchanges , or in person. Their currency would suddenly become worthless in a short while.
CuntChocula

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:36:37 PM

You are generally a troll and "cunt" that I ignore but I will make an exception because this appears to be a valid question :

What is of importance is the economic majority that backs those nodes. A node is only as secure and useful to the network insomuch as it has unique and active users behind such nodes. Thus nodes that are in control of exchanges/merchants/processors/Wallets are typically more important than regular nodes and nodes without active users can be malicious.

Case in point -  A certain btc company recently decided to assist the community with a PR stunt by deploying hundreds of nodes with multiple amazon Ec2 instances without users actively securing them and using them. This type of deployment hurts the bitcoin ecosystem and makes it less decentralized.

Are you suggesting that Bitcoin's security hinges on people's good faith (to not deploy "hundreds of nodes with multiple amazon Ec2 instances without users actively securing them and using them")?!

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:40:40 PM

Are you suggesting that Bitcoin's security hinges on people's good faith (to not deploy "hundreds of nodes with multiple amazon Ec2 instances without users actively securing them and using them"?!

No. He suggests that a naive attack that succeeds to only create a majority in the least capital intensive of the three areas (nodes, mining, capital/economic majority) in isolation is doomed to fail -- due to a reaction of the rest of the network out of pure self-interest.

BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:41:00 PM

Are you suggesting that Bitcoin's security hinges on peoples good faith (not to deploy "hundreds of nodes with multiple amazon Ec2 instances without users actively securing them and using them"?!

I said the exact opposite.... but to answer your insinuation: the answer is in understanding the fundementals of bitcoin -

Full nodes check for the --- The longest valid PoW chain, so a "51% attack" would need to be carried out along side a Sybil attack.

If a majority of the economic majority or nodes broke away from the majority of the hash power than they better quickly switch PoW algo's as they would indeed be susceptible to a 51% attack.

Here is an example of a backup plan devs have if miners ever go rogue or do something stupid-

https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/41aocn/httpsbitcoinorgenbitcoincorecapacityincreases_why/cz0z9ym
https://github.com/luke-jr/bitcoin/commit/8d3a84c242598ef3cdc733e99dddebfecdad84a6

Keccak with a Nf15 appears extremely ASIC resistant.
***Clarification***  This is just an prepared idea and not a plan. The core devs obviously are prepared for the worst case scenarios like miners being compromised or doing something idiotic like raising the 21 million limit. Luckily most mining pools are intelligent and have our best interests in mind like most of the developers and these drastic steps likely will never be needed.

Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:47:49 PM

Sub $300 coins around february 11th.
BFX might flash crash as low as $160 for a nanosecond
After that:

Hold your fiat.

Quote me.

i always keep some fiat, or at least try to.. on other hand i am looking at how to buy pms and keep those stored in vault in singapore. i think that is a better idea atm, buy the suppressed pms rather than the pumped bitcoins.

You should read the Andromeda Bitcoinian Catastrophe. Its about a crypto that cost 400~$. When iy enters bubble mode goes to 4000, then moon, after that, solar system, and finally, Andromeda. Bears and precious metals get utterly REKT in the odisea. You may like it
CuntChocula

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:49:06 PM

Are you suggesting that Bitcoin's security hinges on people's good faith (to not deploy "hundreds of nodes with multiple amazon Ec2 instances without users actively securing them and using them"?!

No. He suggests that a naive attack that succeeds to only create a majority in the least capital intensive of the three areas (nodes, mining, capital/economic majority) in isolation is doomed to fail -- due to a reaction of the rest of the network out of pure self-interest.

So how should have the network reacted to the boldface above, in its self-interest? Did it do so?
If yes, why was boldface dangerous?
If not, why not?
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:52:44 PM

You guys are focusing to much on USDBTC

Looks a bit like BTC/oil

Good points
CuntChocula

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:55:39 PM

If a majority of the economic majority or nodes broke away from the majority of the hash power than they better quickly switch PoW algo's as they would indeed be susceptible to a 51% attack.
You keep implying a link between "economic majority" and "nodes."  Not obvious to me.
Nodes could be created & run (at minimal expense) by actors hodling no bitcoin; many (most) hodlers don't run nodes, so?
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:58:24 PM

So how should have the network reacted to the boldface above, in its self-interest? Did it do so?
If not, why not?

Yes, devs and people who actually understand bitcoin corrected the company and educated the errors in their ways. Simply deploying hundreds of nodes without active users securing them with economic interests isn't extremely dangerous in itself because wallets still check for the longest PoW chain and not just the rules from the corresponding nodes. It is dangerous in a sense that those nodes could falsely give the impression that our ecosystem was more decentralized and it could introduce some potential non-consensus bugs but any nodes that were compromised and didn't follow the consensus rules would simply be an ignored alt.

You keep implying a link between "economic majority" and "nodes."  Not obvious to me.
Nodes could be created & run (at minimal expense) by actors hodling no bitcoin; many (most) hodlers don't run nodes, so?

You aren't realizing that full nodes validate both the longest PoW chain and if the valid rules are being followed. What you are describing is the creation of an alt , which is fine and has no direct impact on bitcoin. Nodes that don't have economic interests behind them are of little value. Not all nodes are equal!

Here is an analogy to consider:

What is worth more: 5 large fortune 500 companies and their userbase that enjoys their products and services or 100 shell companies with no capital, no products, and no users? What happens in an ecosystem when these 100 shell companies are introduced to a location and the general public chooses to ignore them because they don't like their product?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 06:01:46 PM

Coin

Explanation
CuntChocula

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 06:08:21 PM

If not, why not?

Yes, devs and people who actually understand bitcoin corrected the company and educated the errors in their ways. Simply deploying hundreds of nodes without active users securing them with economic interests isn't extremely dangerous in itself because wallets still check for the longest PoW chain and not just the rules from the corresponding nodes. It is dangerous in a sense that those nodes could falsely give the impression that our ecosystem was more decentralized and it could introduce some potential non-consensus bugs but any nodes that were compromised and didn't follow the consensus rules would simply be an ignored alt.

So Bitcoin's security depends on the dev team spotting and educating the malefactors? But if the intent is to harm Bitcoin (statist gubermint thugs, Saurian Bankster Jewesses, etc.), wouldn't they laugh at the devs' friendly advice?
What would the outcome have been, had the miscreant ignored devs' advice & said "lolno, putting up moar nodes, don't cost us shit"?
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 06:12:51 PM

So Bitcoin's security depends on the dev team spotting and educating the malefactors? But if the intent is to harm Bitcoin (statist gubermint thugs, Saurian Bankster Jewesses, etc.), wouldn't they laugh at the devs' friendly advice?
What would have been the outcome if the misguided Bitcoin company ignored devs' advice & said lolno, we're putting up more nodes, don't cost us shit?

Simply deploying hundreds of nodes without active users securing them with economic interests isn't extremely dangerous in itself because wallets still check for the longest PoW chain and not just the rules from the corresponding nodes. It is dangerous in a sense that those nodes could falsely give the impression that our ecosystem was more decentralized and it could introduce some potential non-consensus bugs but any nodes that were compromised and didn't follow the consensus rules would simply be an ignored alt.

The security of our ecosystem is dependent upon all of us, not just the devs. This goes the same for security on the internet and in meatspace.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 06:15:25 PM

Sub $300 coins around february 11th.
BFX might flash crash as low as $160 for a nanosecond
After that:

Hold your fiat.

Quote me.

i always keep some fiat, or at least try to.. on other hand i am looking at how to buy pms and keep those stored in vault in singapore. i think that is a better idea atm, buy the suppressed pms rather than the pumped bitcoins.

You should read the Andromeda Bitcoinian Catastrophe. Its about a crypto that cost 400~$. When iy enters bubble mode goes to 4000, then moon, after that, solar system, and finally, Andromeda. Bears and precious metals get utterly REKT in the odisea. You may like it

i don't have time right now.. i am publishing Of the Mahabharata Catastrophes in a few weeks... maybe i can fit into my schedule after that.
Pages: « 1 ... 14498 14499 14500 14501 14502 14503 14504 14505 14506 14507 14508 14509 14510 14511 14512 14513 14514 14515 14516 14517 14518 14519 14520 14521 14522 14523 14524 14525 14526 14527 14528 14529 14530 14531 14532 14533 14534 14535 14536 14537 14538 14539 14540 14541 14542 14543 14544 14545 14546 14547 [14548] 14549 14550 14551 14552 14553 14554 14555 14556 14557 14558 14559 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 14593 14594 14595 14596 14597 14598 ... 33326 »
  Print  

Jump to: