April 26, 2024, 03:29:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 33302 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368016 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Pzi4nk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:36:57 AM

This "Get-out-of-Gox" yankee-rally won't last long Cheesy [emphasis added by Pzi4nk]

Is this a baseball thing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:41:17 AM

This "Get-out-of-Gox" yankee-rally won't last long Cheesy [emphasis added by Pzi4nk]

It's more of an idiot thing.

A few vocal people who trade with 'pocket change' amounts of money can't make a withdrawal for 25 cents any more and this is creating a big problem for them.

They think it's causing a 'bank run' on MtGox - it's hilarious.

Dwolla = Dust transactions.
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:46:27 AM

A few vocal people who trade with 'pocket change' amounts of money can't make a withdrawal for 25 cents any more and this is creating a big problem for them.

Indeed. The theory is that dwolla users (which is USA customers only) are converting their fiat on gox into btc in order to shift it elsewhere, hence artificially driving up the price, towing bitstamp and other markets upward.

However, major dollar buyers would use wire transfers and remain unaffected, so probably the theory is lame, and BTC was headed up anyway,
Pzi4nk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Move over clarinets, I'm getting on the band wagon

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:51:26 AM

Solex, that's a great signature.

"Got a new wallet? Here's a test address to practice sending to: 18acC6avzFy495oQWbRtr2Z7hirYW4u8DD"

Do you get many takers?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:02:56 AM

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:04:25 AM

Solex, that's a great signature.

"Got a new wallet? Here's a test address to practice sending to: 18acC6avzFy495oQWbRtr2Z7hirYW4u8DD"

Do you get many takers?

ha, thanks. 4 donations in 4 months, but each time getting smaller....  will be a long while to get to 1 BTC at this rate tho.
Don't forget you can check any address this way:
https://blockchain.info/address/18acC6avzFy495oQWbRtr2Z7hirYW4u8DD
michaelGedi

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:54:44 AM

Indeed. The theory is that dwolla users (which is USA customers only) are converting their fiat on gox into btc in order to shift it elsewhere, hence artificially driving up the price, towing bitstamp and other markets upward.

However, major dollar buyers would use wire transfers and remain unaffected, so probably the theory is lame, and BTC was headed up anyway,

hmmm, ok I didn't understand dwolla completely, but there are some massive ask walls getting in the way on bitstamp at this time... they are relatively new. I for one will cash out via bitstamp if/when I need to purely for convenience... I guess maybe that's what the other guys are thinking
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:02:35 PM

samson
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:08:13 PM

hmmm, ok I didn't understand dwolla completely, but there are some massive ask walls getting in the way on bitstamp at this time... they are relatively new. I for one will cash out via bitstamp if/when I need to purely for convenience... I guess maybe that's what the other guys are thinking

I'm getting the impression that some people are 'running for their lives' to save their money before everything is closed down all based on rumour and innuendo which has been spread around by people like d5000 and jaroslaw.

These people who have pulled out may or may not have used Dwolla in the past and probably don't realise that it's mainly used by pennyless noobs gambling with their day to day living expenses instead of well funded traders.
oroboras

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:12:17 PM

These people who have pulled out may or may not have used Dwolla in the past and probably don't realise that it's mainly used by pennyless noobs gambling with their day to day living expenses instead of well funded traders.

Yes, damn those poor people trying to get off of the bottom rung of life, it shouldn't be allowed! Tongue

Stopping Dwolla is a good way of oppressing the poor and maintaining the status quo.

*puts on tinfoil hat, salutes Che Guevara poster, and goes to work at breadline wage job*

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:02:51 PM

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:09:10 PM

Yes, damn those poor people trying to get off of the bottom rung of life, it shouldn't be allowed! Tongue

Stopping Dwolla is a good way of oppressing the poor and maintaining the status quo.

*puts on tinfoil hat, salutes Che Guevara poster, and goes to work at breadline wage job*

I don't understand what people without a lot of capital are doing on MtGox anyway. There are cheaper and better ways for the 'poor' to acquire bitcoins, Bitstamp for instance offers bitcoins at a nice discount right now. Tongue
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:12:29 PM

This entire line of conversation is a stark reminder that it does not matter what currency dominates the world.  At the end of the day, rich people still will look down on poor people so nothing will ever change in that capacity.  Rich people will be dorkier than they are today, but just as hateful and oppressive as rich people have ever been.

Really sad and depressing way to start the morning.   Cry
MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:17:22 PM

This entire line of conversation is a stark reminder that it does not matter what currency dominates the world.  At the end of the day, rich people still will look down on poor people so nothing will ever change in that capacity.  Rich people will be dorkier than they are today, but just as hateful and oppressive as rich people have ever been.

+1

Their manipulation of the BTC market is annoying too.  That is on topic, after all isn't this the wall movement tracker thread?  It's their walls that are messing everything up.  If more money does come into BTC then even they won't be able to afford to do that any more, which will let BTC reflect its true value and can only be a good thing.  That is of course until the scumbag banks join in with even bigger walls of course.
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:40:00 PM

+1

Their manipulation of the BTC market is annoying too.  That is on topic, after all isn't this the wall movement tracker thread?  It's their walls that are messing everything up.  If more money does come into BTC then even they won't be able to afford to do that any more, which will let BTC reflect its true value and can only be a good thing.  That is of course until the scumbag banks join in with even bigger walls of course.

There's truth to that but a bank is amoral.  It's just a building.  It's the people that make it "evil".  We're just trading one group of greed, oppressive bastards for another.  Heck, a few pages back or so there was talk of starting their own bank in some other country.  See, Bitcoin is not about hating the banks, its about not being in control.  They want to take control from the current rich and powerful, so they can be the ones in control and be the same greedy bastards we have now.  

You know what...I'm going to the beach to hang out with the lowly poor people.  As I refer to me, them, most of us...the mainstream.  Not about to wreck my day over a stupid thread.  

Thanks for the +1 brother.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:43:49 PM

I'm getting the impression that some people are 'running for their lives' to save their money before everything is closed down all based on rumour and innuendo which has been spread around by people like d5000 and jaroslaw.

I'm not saying you're wrong Samson but do you have a better explanation for the unprecedented* difference in price between mtgox and the minor exchanges?  For jaroslaw and co it's just another excuse to cry wolf but that doesn't mean it's necessarily entirely without substance.

* sustained difference since I was an algorithm using more than one exchange to determine price.

MickeyT2008

Activity: 350

This account was recently hacked

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:49:44 PM

+1

Their manipulation of the BTC market is annoying too.  That is on topic, after all isn't this the wall movement tracker thread?  It's their walls that are messing everything up.  If more money does come into BTC then even they won't be able to afford to do that any more, which will let BTC reflect its true value and can only be a good thing.  That is of course until the scumbag banks join in with even bigger walls of course.

There's truth to that but a bank is amoral.  It's just a building.  It's the people that make it "evil".  We're just trading one group of greed, oppressive bastards for another.  Heck, a few pages back or so there was talk of starting their own bank in some other country.  See, Bitcoin is not about hating the banks, its about not being in control.  They want to take control from the current rich and powerful, so they can be the ones in control and be the same greedy bastards we have now.  

You know what...I'm going to the beach to hang out with the lowly poor people.  As I refer to me, them, most of us...the mainstream.  Not about to wreck my day over a stupid thread.  

No problem.  Anyway, it's the weekend and there's not much happening here, so that's a good idea, enjoy yourself!  Anyway, to remain on topic it seems to have consolidated at around $123 - $124 for now, I'll keep an eye in it myself though in case something exciting does happen (partly because it's going to rain here, the beach is miles away and the clutch has gone on my car so there's nothing else to do anyway).  Maybe the bulls will go crazy later, make the price rocket and buy me a new car - you never know, hey?  Have fun on the beach!  If the prices get any more boring and stable today then I'm going to have to wash the dishes for excitement.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:02:27 PM

samson
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:23:47 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong Samson but do you have a better explanation for the unprecedented* difference in price between mtgox and the minor exchanges?  For jaroslaw and co it's just another excuse to cry wolf but that doesn't mean it's necessarily entirely without substance.

* sustained difference since I was an algorithm using more than one exchange to determine price.

There is no explaination that I can think of. Some people will have moved their BTC out of fear which has been hyped on these forums.

I think it's unfounded fear based on the closure of a small payment gateway. Dwolla is small when compared with international wires.

The price only rose on MtGox due to a couple of very large buys eating into the big walls that had been sitting there for days.

I don't watch Bitfinex but I just took a look and the price difference is quite big.
Zephir

Activity: 533
Merit: 539

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:25:51 PM

+1

+1 from me too.

I don´t know how to think about you.
A few pages back you made panic and talked some "bear"shit and now such a good statement.
For "panic sell" spamming please start your own thread.
I´m glad not to ignore you or anybody else, but stop spamming "bear"shit and talk like that post above more often.
Thanks
Pages: « 1 ... 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 [468] 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 ... 33302 »
  Print  

Jump to: