May 08, 2024, 02:35:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 2985 2986 2987 2988 2989 2990 2991 2992 2993 2994 2995 2996 2997 2998 2999 3000 3001 3002 3003 3004 3005 3006 3007 3008 3009 3010 3011 3012 3013 3014 3015 3016 3017 3018 3019 3020 3021 3022 3023 3024 3025 3026 3027 3028 3029 3030 3031 3032 3033 3034 [3035] 3036 3037 3038 3039 3040 3041 3042 3043 3044 3045 3046 3047 3048 3049 3050 3051 3052 3053 3054 3055 3056 3057 3058 3059 3060 3061 3062 3063 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 3069 3070 3071 3072 3073 3074 3075 3076 3077 3078 3079 3080 3081 3082 3083 3084 3085 ... 33331 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373724 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 02:45:43 AM

TL;DR: Risto sign a message such as "this coins belong to Risto Pietila" with an address holding 10k BTC or gtfo and stfu.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 02:46:28 AM

china will go thru 5500 soon, they already punctured it and now they are oversold

Having seen my magic, perhaps you can now publicly acknowledge that I have 10,000 bitcoins, apologize, stfu and gtfo. OK?  Grin

If you want to prove that just sign a message with an address holding 10k and put that signed message in your signature - no need for nobody to "acknowledge", that would be a hard cold proof.

That's pure non spoofable crypto, heart and soul of Bitcoin.

That's not hard cold proof. It's susceptible to Man in the Middle attack.

Care to elaborate that? How could rpietila perform "a man in the middle attack" and make bitcointalk.org users to believe he signed a message with an address holding 10k BTC if he is not in control of an address with such an amount?

Because there is nothing linking the Bitcoin address to his forum account. Hypothetically speaking, he could just ask a friend who has access to 10K BTC to sign a message and just post it. The difference is there is the possibility he can get 10K BTC account to sign a message, but he may not necessary control it.

But that's no man in the middle attack, in that case Risto would just be "borrowing" the coins for a specific purpose - signing the message, which is a proof he can have access (at least for that very purpose of signing the message) to 10k coins.

In any case, only a retard would accept to use 10k of his own coins to sign a message like "this coins belong to Risto Pietila", in practical terms Risto's "friend" would be handing to Risto the control of those bitcoins. That's like signing a contract, explain to a judge that "it was just a favor".

No.

The owner of those coins could sign the message for him. Risto would never need to control them. Virtualfaqs is right.

Meatspace equivalent: I can sign a contract in which I transfer to you the ownership of my house, but without ever handing to you the keys.

Finally:

If I have to prove on a forum that I own a $10M mansion, how about uploading a valid and verifiable contract of ownership of such mansion in my name? Wouldn't you consider that a proof of ownership?

Justin Bieber could be my friend and he could have signed the contract as a favour, without ever handing to me the keys. But that's beyond retarded and plainly ridiculous. As retarded, ridiculous and unlikely as expecting someone to cryptographically sign a message such as "This 10k BTC belong to Risto Pietila" with an address holding 10k BTC that do NOT belong to Risto.

Probably you do not fully understand the strong implications of such a message - any cryptographically signed message is potentially binding, and that's why the QT client warns you about signing only messages to which content you fully agree. If Risto has such "friends" that sign those messages for him I congratulate and envy him.

Uh, no, that's not the meatspace equivalent. There's no practical significance to signing someone else's message with your address. The person with the private key maintains full and absolute control. Said owner could simply transfer those coins after a suitable amount of time passed to satisfy everyone.

The meatspace equivalent is telling Risto's buddies that he owns your house.
DaSheep

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 02:46:41 AM

well well rpietila obviously posted alot of bullshit lately but I wasn't sure if he's just a troll or if he actually believes that stuff.

so thanks rpietila for confirming you're full of shit and welcome to ignore.
stompix
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 6310

Blackjack.fun

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 02:58:28 AM

...I also have friends with many BTC and they know that it is going down....
I'm just curious why those friends hold many BTC if they know that it's going down Huh

its really not that hard to believe someone would hold on to his bitcoin even tho he knows it might go down.

I'm doing it!

and i really do have 10K looking to buy cheap coins, IF i'm lucky enough. ( please no one tell my wife )

Well yeah everyone here knows with a 100% certainty that it will go down at some point in time. But i read that as rpietila implying that they're bears, and expect it to crash below $500, but yet for unknown reason still horde many BTC
Bill gates didn't get rich by selling his own stock, he was the biggest holder of MS.

and now one knows a damn thing about were the price is going...

look at the poll poeple believe, and they should, bitcoin lives up to the hype.

This sums up the whole thread , right Smiley?
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:00:20 AM

Relevant: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-12-13/penny-stock-traders-diary-our-brains-are-hard-wired-get-us-investing-trouble
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:00:58 AM

rpietila is good peoples! Cheesy
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:07:38 AM

hey guys

what's up lately?

been a week no interwebs
Harley997

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:10:32 AM

it's going to the moon, that's what

maybe

Undecided
Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:13:10 AM

it's going to the moon, that's what Hell, sell NOW!

maybe for Sure!

Angry

Grin
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:14:12 AM

china will go thru 5500 soon, they already punctured it and now they are oversold

Having seen my magic, perhaps you can now publicly acknowledge that I have 10,000 bitcoins, apologize, stfu and gtfo. OK?  Grin

If you want to prove that just sign a message with an address holding 10k and put that signed message in your signature - no need for nobody to "acknowledge", that would be a hard cold proof.

Care to elaborate that? How could rpietila perform "a man in the middle attack" and make bitcointalk.org users to believe he signed a message with an address holding 10k BTC if he is not in control of an address with such an amount?

Because there is nothing linking the Bitcoin address to his forum account. Hypothetically speaking, he could just ask a friend who has access to 10K BTC to sign a message and just post it. The difference is there is the possibility he can get 10K BTC account to sign a message, but he may not necessary control it.

But that's no man in the middle attack, in that case Risto would just be "borrowing" the coins for a specific purpose - signing the message, which is a proof he can have access (at least for that very purpose of signing the message) to 10k coins.

In any case, only a retard would accept to use 10k of his own coins to sign a message like "this coins belong to Risto Pietila", in practical terms Risto's "friend" would be handing to Risto the control of those bitcoins. That's like signing a contract, explain to a judge that "it was just a favor".

No.

The owner of those coins could sign the message for him. Risto would never need to control them. Virtualfaqs is right.

Meatspace equivalent: I can sign a contract in which I transfer to you the ownership of my house, but without ever handing to you the keys.

Finally:

If I have to prove on a forum that I own a $10M mansion, how about uploading a valid and verifiable contract of ownership of such mansion in my name? Wouldn't you consider that a proof of ownership?

Justin Bieber could be my friend and he could have signed the contract as a favour, without ever handing to me the keys. But that's beyond retarded and plainly ridiculous. As retarded, ridiculous and unlikely as expecting someone to cryptographically sign a message such as "This 10k BTC belong to Risto Pietila" with an address holding 10k BTC that do NOT belong to Risto.

Probably you do not fully understand the strong implications of such a message - any cryptographically signed message is potentially binding, and that's why the QT client warns you about signing only messages to which content you fully agree. If Risto has such "friends" that sign those messages for him I congratulate and envy him.

Uh, no, that's not the meatspace equivalent. There's no practical significance to signing someone else's message with your address. The person with the private key maintains full and absolute control. Said owner could simply transfer those coins after a suitable amount of time passed to satisfy everyone.

We will have to agree to disagree: i) For you cryptographically signed messages have no significance, ii) for me they have a very strong significance.

You do not "own" the coins; the private keys "own" the coins. Using the private key of an addy holding 10k BTC of your coins to sign a message stating than the owner is an individual other than you has a very strong significance for me and I wouldn't do it. As a start, I would be worried about that individual claiming in the future that that priv keys were stolen from him. Sure no judge would understand nothing about this (yet), so you might be right about the lack of "practical" significances as there are no legal precedents on that sense - but I bet there will be a lot of practical significances in the futures. I believe we will see a lot of smart properties/contracts implemented on the blockchain and a lot of legally binding agreements based on message-signing with addresses privkeys.

In any case: I don't think rpietila has 10k BTC nor the access to someone with 10k BTC willing to sign on his behalf the following message: "these 10k BTC belong to Risto Pietila"
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:15:35 AM

ooooooh Goat bought a lambo   Shocked
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:29:05 AM

No.

Finally:

We will have to agree to disagree: i) For you cryptographically signed messages have no significance, ii) for me they have a very strong significance.

You do not "own" the coins; the private keys "own" the coins. Using the private key of an addy holding 10k BTC of your coins to sign a message stating than the owner is an individual other than you has a very strong significance for me and I wouldn't do it. As a start, I would be worried about that individual claiming in the future that that priv keys were stolen from him. Sure no judge would understand nothing about this (yet), so you might be right about the lack of "practical" significances as there are no legal precedents on that sense - but I bet there will be a lot of practical significances in the futures. I believe we will see a lot of smart properties/contracts implemented on the blockchain and a lot of legally binding agreements based on message-signing with addresses privkeys.

In any case: I don't think rpietila has 10k BTC nor the access to someone with 10k BTC willing to sign on his behalf the following message: "these 10k BTC belong to Risto Pietila"

Lol. This is the stupidest fucking thread derail in the history of bitcointalk.
Harley997

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:36:41 AM

yo rpietila

hook me up with 13 bitcoins please

1J6zCeK6XjYCUcE349QQXGNSmWoEc3S946

Cheesy
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:37:42 AM

Lol. This is the stupidest fucking thread derail in the history of bitcointalk.

Welcome to the Wall Observer.

This thread has always been a mix of:

i) infinite trolling
ii) a lot of off-topic ramblings
iii) some deep philosophical discussion
iv) very little TA

Plus, is kinda on-topic: Rpietila says in this thread (and all over the forum) he has 10k BTC and, specifically, that he uses them to manipulate the market.

We could just use less ego-filled chatter and more crypto proof.
Harley997

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:40:02 AM

indeed no such thing as a derail in wall observer thread
Voodah

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:40:18 AM

Indeed, this whole discussion and peer bullying is stupid. Enough with the Rpietila bashing.

Let the guy speak his mind, the same as we all do. I know lots of people don't like the way he expresses himself or agree with his analysis, but be honest now..

I'd much rather read any of rpietila's post (I always find them interesting and thought-provoking, even when I disagree with what he's saying or how) than most of the sub-par content I'm used to finding both here and  in other places like Reddit.

Let's bask in how different we all are and how rich that makes us. No need to alienate people, specially active people who contribute original content on a regular basis.
Walsoraj

Ultranode

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:43:27 AM

Well, I for one believe rpietila, because, I too have 10k (minimum) bitcoins.

Cool Cheesy Cool
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:44:52 AM

No.

Finally:

I can understand how you would come to that conclusion if you are of the opinion that the signed message is of great significance, and from a theoretical standpoint it's not unreasonable to think so.

My thinking is that you can currently make no practical legal claim based on a signed message for the reasons described, and therefore it does not represent any kind of transfer of ownership.

In any event, I would be willing to sign such a message for a relatively nominal fee, since I'd just transfer the coins afterward. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would, either, even if you wouldn't.

So I wouldn't accept it as evidence if Risto DID sign such a message, although it would go a long way toward making me believe he does control so many coins.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:46:10 AM

Indeed, this whole discussion and peer bullying is stupid. Enough with the Rpietila bashing.

Let the guy speak his mind, the same as we all do. I know lots of people don't like the way he expresses himself or agree with his analysis, but be honest now..

I'd much rather read any of rpietila's post (I always find them interesting and thought-provoking, even when I disagree with what he's saying or how) than most of the sub-par content I'm used to finding both here and  in other places like Reddit.

Let's bask in how different we all are and how rich that makes us. No need to alienate people, specially active people who contribute original content on a regular basis.

Some of his threads are interesting and his "general" advices are sound (like the SSS thread).

All his price calls are wrong and he is a contrarian indicator.

All his tales about successful trading, manipulation, etc. are proven bullshit. He makes most of that up.

Finally, his business model is to create the character of a super-wealthy super-successful trader so he can attract the attention of newcomers and then sell them BTC with a markup. It's pretty obvious and he has even admitted it in some sanity moments he has had.
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2013, 03:46:34 AM

No.

Finally:

Yes, it will be interesting to see how a court case deals with verified sigs. But they'd also have to link verified sigs to a person's identity. That may not be so easy either as multiple people could have access, hacks, and other reasons.

I'd change it this:  "these 10k BTC belong to Risto Pietila aka bitcointalk.org username: rpietila" This is so people like me know there's a probable link to his forum account.
Pages: « 1 ... 2985 2986 2987 2988 2989 2990 2991 2992 2993 2994 2995 2996 2997 2998 2999 3000 3001 3002 3003 3004 3005 3006 3007 3008 3009 3010 3011 3012 3013 3014 3015 3016 3017 3018 3019 3020 3021 3022 3023 3024 3025 3026 3027 3028 3029 3030 3031 3032 3033 3034 [3035] 3036 3037 3038 3039 3040 3041 3042 3043 3044 3045 3046 3047 3048 3049 3050 3051 3052 3053 3054 3055 3056 3057 3058 3059 3060 3061 3062 3063 3064 3065 3066 3067 3068 3069 3070 3071 3072 3073 3074 3075 3076 3077 3078 3079 3080 3081 3082 3083 3084 3085 ... 33331 »
  Print  

Jump to: