June 27, 2024, 01:29:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 3475 3476 3477 3478 3479 3480 3481 3482 3483 3484 3485 3486 3487 3488 3489 3490 3491 3492 3493 3494 3495 3496 3497 3498 3499 3500 3501 3502 3503 3504 3505 3506 3507 3508 3509 3510 3511 3512 3513 3514 3515 3516 3517 3518 3519 3520 3521 3522 3523 3524 [3525] 3526 3527 3528 3529 3530 3531 3532 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 3538 3539 3540 3541 3542 3543 3544 3545 3546 3547 3548 3549 3550 3551 3552 3553 3554 3555 3556 3557 3558 3559 3560 3561 3562 3563 3564 3565 3566 3567 3568 3569 3570 3571 3572 3573 3574 3575 ... 33487 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26407585 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:30:15 PM

BWAHAHAHA!!! Grin Grin Grin
He surely didn't see that coming!
http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-krugman-responds-to-internet-quote-2013-12
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 11:34:13 PM

Interesting debate guys regarding market manipulation.  I think aminorex's definition below is a good one (regardless of one's views on the ethics of such an activity):

Market manipulation is generally understood to mean trading for purposes of effecting a price impact, not otherwise in the interest of the trader.  For example, sham sales, in which the counterparties have pooled resources, or one party takes both roles, so that transactions occur at their preferred prices, can be used to create a trap for speculators, who trade at prices not determined by market forces, but by the collusion of the manipulator(s).  

According to this definition, I believe that market manipulation is indeed happening.  The next question is "is this wrong"?  vdcc says this is fraud:

Quote from: vdcc
No violence, but fraud yes. If you pump/dump coins (or even fake volume and trades) for financial gain, then you are defrauding honest traders.

I'm not convinced, but I'd like to hear further arguments.  Here's what I think is fraud:

A whale calls up the owner of an exchange and, says "I want to put up a 5,000 BTC ask wall to scare the fish into selling to me for cheaper, but I don't actually want to risk a bigger whale buying all my coins.  Can I pay you 50 BTC to ensure that if someone tries to buy my wall that your trading engine encounters 'technical difficulties'?"  If the owner agrees, this is fraud and we have laws that would apply in such a situation.  

But if two colluding whales buy and sell to each other on the open market to try and make it appear there is more volume at a price higher or lower than what they believe to be the market price, then could not one argue that this is simply "strategy"?  Is not everyone still playing by the same rules?

That's pretty much the way I see it. It's our job to decipher fake volume. This isn't the stock market. BTC exchanges is an entirely different monster. However are there actually any laws that apply to these kinds of exchanges? Any precedent?
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:37:34 PM

god damn, we need some volatility now, I need the price to go up to $10K USD than it can be stable for some time.... I am a bit bored watching these stable prices  Tongue
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:38:27 PM

Krugman "they're confusing technology with monetary economics"

FFS. He digs a deeper hole! Unlike transportation, medicine, film, music, agriculture, electronics, media, etc, etc, monetary economics is the only sphere of human activity immune to technological improvement. Krugman is flapping like a fish in the mud with the tide out.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:39:36 PM

Come on guys. All this nonsense talk about low volume. And no one mentions that its the holidays. This was destined to be a low volume time. If the volume is still this low in 2 weeks then you have a right to doubt the directional trend, but for now two truths are evident that are being rather ignored - one, its the holidays and two, we are going more sideways than up. So, low volume consolidation during the holidays. Why are so many people acting shocked and amazed by this?
I don't think anyone is shocked and amazed. But the holidays don't negate market sentiment and proximity to the recent hype cycle, IMO.

[...]

Like I said earlier, might be some upside left here. But I don't think we are going to the moon in the next couple weeks.

May I use your comment to soap box for a moment about a pet idea of mine? I believe what you and others say about the low volume reducing the impact (and perhaps: staying power) of the current uptrend is true, but at the same time, it is not really a relevant objection.

There's this idea I'm working with, that is neither particularly novel I suspect, nor is it anywhere near formalized, systematized and testable -- it's simply a mental "stepping stone" for me to make sense of market events. The idea is simply that as events unfold, I update previous probabilities (in an intuitive rather than formal sense) about which state the market is in, and which state is likely to follow.

Let me be less vague: After the double top it took until about December 15 (right before the crash) before my internal assumptions switched from "bull market" to "bear market". This didn't happen all at once, but gradually, based on a number of observations and indicator signals.

Okay, so let's start at this point, the "confirmed" downtrend on December 15. What could convince me (or you) that the correction/bear market is over? Surely some drastic event (say, a new ATH) would do the trick, right? But we're nowhere near such an event, of course, so it's probably going to be a more gradual process.

What are the pieces of evidence that are part of this gradual process of changing one's assumptions? For example, we still didn't see a "double bottom", i.e. a confirmation of the previous low of ~460. Could mean we're back in an uptrend. Or that we haven't found real support yet. Evidence in favor of an uptrend is that in the last days, we've seen a break of a major trendline going down, and that several upwards trends across time resolutions are active at the moment.

So here's one observation I'd like to add, based on a simple method I recently started applying to post peak periods. I described this method a bit more in lucif's thread, and I'm still playing around with it, and try to find a way to remove the "intuition" from it so I can properly test it on historical data -- basically, it is the observation that after a peak/bottom cycle, price (or rather: volume weighted price, as it seems to work better like that) stays close to the middle point between the peak and the low of the cycle, and that the relative amount of time above or below that median corresponds to the likelihood that price continues to go up or down. Several details are still fuzzy: What's the input? Price, average price, or volume weighted average price? Also, I'm thinking that more recent price points above/below the median should be weighted higher than older ones in determining the prediction probabilities, so maybe some EMA-type calculation should work. Like I said, it's work in progress.

Anyway. What I'm looking at right now tells me to be (cautiously) optimistic.

Note that we are still below the median of the first December cycle (peak: December 4, bottom: December 7), but recently ended up above the median of what I consider to be the second peak/bottom cycle (peak: December 10, bottom: December 18). This second median is placed at ~769 USD (mtgox), and we've been above it, with a short interruption, for about 4 days now. My assumptions is, the longer we stay above it, ideally uninterrupted, the higher the likelihood that we continue to go up.

Sounds tautological, huh? "If price goes up, we go up." Not exactly. I intend this indicator to work as a short-to-medium term predictor based on the most recent history. It's not so much tautological but more of a compliment to other short term indicators like MA based ones, with the difference that hopefully mine is more predictive rather than lagging.

Let's say for a moment we manage to stay above ~769. Then I expect the next big point of resistance to be the level of the next higher median at ~914 USD.

Now I'd like to come back to my initial remarks about how I am prepared to gradually shift my assumptions about the current market: I'm trying to take into account as many pieces of (relevant) information as possible when deciding whether I believe that the December correction will continue, and for how long.

The most important piece of evidence *in favor* of the downtrend continuing is historical precedence. The objection by bulls is, understandably, that "this time the fundamental situation is very different". And I agree, it *is* different, and this *does* have an influence, but not necessarily in such a way that the length of the correction period is greatly reduced, but it could also be that e.g. the trajectory of the correction/consolidation period looks different based on different fundamentals. As I said before, based on this historical comparison, I would expect the consolidation/correction to last until late January/early February.

On the other hand, I don't take "historical precedence" as gospel. And that's why I watch other evidence, that is specific to the current period, like the results of my experimental method above, closely. Right now, we're undeniably in a short term uptrend since about December 22. It's not clear how long it'll last, it's not sure at all if it'll even break through the 800-850 (mtgox) resistance range before we run out of steam... but the point where we are now, above the median of the 2nd peak/bottom cycle, is one small piece of evidence in favor of the correction being over, or about to end.

The following is important! Please understand what I'm saying -- I am *not* saying that "the correction is over". It's a much weaker statement: "there is some evidence the correction is over".

It'll take substantially more evidence to convince me we're back on a stable and forceful upwards trend. And right now, the first requirement is staying above 769. If that happens to be the case for a while (a week maybe), then the next step needs to be cracking through (and staying above) the point I defined above, at around 914.

If we should reach that point, and we would stay above it for, say, about a week or two, I will most likely conclude that we do have a historic first where the post-ATH correction period is substantially shorter than the duration of the uptrend that led to the ATH.

Now, to finally come back to the "volume" question: all of the above is why I'm not all that worried about the low volume. It does (in my mind) make the current uptrend somewhat less "relevant", but only in the sense that the weight of the current uptrend as evidence in favor of the hypothesis "the correction is over" is slightly reduced.

More important is the question what will come instead of the current weak uptrend: if the current trend is really that weak in volume, then it also means that a relatively weak *countering* trend could easily destroy it. But as long as no such counter trend manifests, the *existing* uptrend, no matter how weak, is the only piece of information that I need to include in my considerations. In other words, I am aware that this trend could easily turn around, but I also realize that even a weak uptrend is, after all, an uptrend, and should be taken as (possibly weak) evidence that the correction/consolidation won't last much longer.

Apologies for a very wordy post. I don't have the time to rewrite the above and condense it to a more readable version. I know that it is written in a sort of rambling style that could be greatly improved, but maybe someone will find it mildly interesting anyway.

macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:40:28 PM

Interesting debate guys regarding market manipulation.  I think aminorex's definition below is a good one (regardless of one's views on the ethics of such an activity):

Market manipulation is generally understood to mean trading for purposes of effecting a price impact, not otherwise in the interest of the trader.  For example, sham sales, in which the counterparties have pooled resources, or one party takes both roles, so that transactions occur at their preferred prices, can be used to create a trap for speculators, who trade at prices not determined by market forces, but by the collusion of the manipulator(s).  

According to this definition, I believe that market manipulation is indeed happening.  The next question is "is this wrong"?  vdcc says this is fraud:

Quote from: vdcc
No violence, but fraud yes. If you pump/dump coins (or even fake volume and trades) for financial gain, then you are defrauding honest traders.

I'm not convinced, but I'd like to hear further arguments.  Here's what I think is fraud:

A whale calls up the owner of an exchange and, says "I want to put up a 5,000 BTC ask wall to scare the fish into selling to me for cheaper, but I don't actually want to risk a bigger whale buying all my coins.  Can I pay you 50 BTC to ensure that if someone tries to buy my wall that your trading engine encounters 'technical difficulties'?"  If the owner agrees, this is fraud and we have laws that would apply in such a situation.  

But if two colluding whales buy and sell to each other on the open market to try and make it appear there is more volume at a price higher or lower than what they believe to be the market price, then could not one argue that this is simply "strategy"?  Is not everyone still playing by the same rules?

That's pretty much the way I see it. It's our job to decipher fake volume. This isn't the stock market. BTC exchanges is an entirely different monster. However are there actually any laws that apply to these kinds of exchanges? Any precedent?

+1
And... laws? no there are not. It's "far west" out there. On the other hand let's not forget one significant parameter; people with a huge volume can do their business OUTSIDE of the exchanges. Think about it. What somebody who has a LOT of coins wants? More coins or more exchange value? FWIW: I believe too that the price is manipulated and it's heading north FOR A REASON! That's why I'm hodling.

Maybe I'm right, but as well I may be left too...

EDIT1: oda.krell SERIOUSLY WTF?Huh Grin
EDIT2: oda.krell PHEWWW read it! Nice post Grin
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:44:13 PM

monetary economics is the only sphere of human activity immune to technological improvement.

That's a bold statement. Never really thought about it that way, but I'm not so sure I agree..

Where is it coming from? Could you explain it?

I would, intuitively and with not enough knowledge, say that technological improvement should somehow positively affect monetary economics. Why not?

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:45:47 PM

If traders are not exploiting defects in the trading system itself (which is actually a "feature" on the NYSE where elite participants have better access than everyone else) then there really is no argument. A manipulator that can influence the market because he has more coins or fiat than other's is not reason to cry foul. It is also a misnomer to think a large trader negatively affects the smaller; the smaller must set his mind to figuring out what the big trader is doing and to front run him. The big trader is handicapped by his size and will move slower, unravel trades over longer time frames, thus he is the shark that suffers the irritation of a thousand sucker-fish. Of course he accepts this as long as he can get his fill.

This said, faking volume is perhaps fairly nefarious, stopping this however is almost impossible as long as the multiple accounts are under different names and different IP addresses. The exchange would have a very hard time proving this beyond being able to provide "circumstantial evidence" of suspicious trades.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:48:23 PM

Krugman "they're confusing technology with monetary economics"

FFS. He digs a deeper hole! Unlike transportation, medicine, film, music, agriculture, electronics, media, etc, etc, monetary economics is the only sphere of human activity immune to technological improvement. Krugman is flapping like a fish in the mud with the tide out.

Yes, this gets more interesting every day and I still can't believe this is happening. There's been a huge response to his "Bitcoin is Evil" piece in the blogsphere and the MSM.  With this latest bit of back-peddling, he may be back-peddling right off a cliff.  
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:51:52 PM

If traders are not exploiting defects in the trading system itself (which is actually a "feature" on the NYSE where elite participants have better access than everyone else) then there really is no argument. A manipulator that can influence the market because he has more coins or fiat than other's is not reason to cry foul. It is also a misnomer to think a large trader negatively affects the smaller; the smaller must set his mind to figuring out what the big trader is doing and to front run him. The big trader is handicapped by his size and will move slower, unravel trades over longer time frames, thus he is the shark that suffers the irritation of a thousand sucker-fish. Of course he accepts this as long as he can get his fill.

This said, faking volume is perhaps fairly nefarious, stopping this however is almost impossible as long as the multiple accounts are under different names and different IP addresses. The exchange would have a very hard time proving this beyond being able to provide "circumstantial evidence" of suspicious trades.

VERY well put. Totally agree. (THIS FORUM NEEDS A LIKE/THANKS BUTTON!) Grin
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 11:56:14 PM

If major retailers, such as Overstock.com, intend to immediately convert bitcoins to fiat, then is spending bitcoins equivalent to selling on an exchange? If so, there is little incentive to spend because it adversely impacts your investment, unless sufficient new fiat is flowing into the exchanges to offset your purchases.

Ironically, 2014 could turn out to be a very bad year for bulls if too many large merchants decide to accept bitcoin.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
virtualfaqs

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 11:58:20 PM

Feels like a game of chicken.

On Mtgox, no one wants to touch the walls at 795 or 810 and price is just bouncing in between.  Undecided
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:00:25 AM

Maybe I should read up on history. Can someone point me to something in history that meant trouble and triggered all the regulation we have in the "regulated" markets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

It's one of my biggest fears I have because it could work with bitcoin given the limited and well known supply.

Thanks DaSheep.  I though this was interesting:

"But on January 7, 1980, in response to the Hunts' accumulation, the exchange rules regarding leverage were changed, when COMEX adopted "Silver Rule 7" placing heavy restrictions on the purchase of commodities on margin. The Hunt brothers had borrowed heavily to finance their purchases, and as the price began to fall again, dropping over 50% in just four days, they were unable to meet their obligations, causing panic in the markets."

Seems it was a change in COMEX regulation that triggered the panic.

I fail to see the "bad" the hunt brothers did. So they borrowed money and bought huge amounts of silver. That drove the price up. Then regulation was changed to screw them over (this was quite a "bad" move in my mind).

What was their plan? Slowly sell the silver at that high price?

Is that possible in Bitcoin (buy up most of it and corner the market). Yeah, sure. Will it work as intended? I doubt it.
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:01:34 AM

Back in June we were discussing a theory about a single whale  who basically dictates the medium term trend whenever he opens and closes his position. We theorized he was the one who made the gigantic 50K dump at $125 in May, starting that sick downtrend, and that he reversed it when he covered his position in the $60s/$70s. Would this whale happen to be the guy called "Loaded"?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:02:26 AM

dgarcia

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:02:36 AM

Feels like a game of chicken.

On Mtgox, no one wants to touch the walls at 795 or 810 and price is just bouncing in between.  Undecided

Yes. I think there is beginning a new consilidation between 795 - 810.

*sigh*
virtualfaqs

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 12:05:05 AM

If major retailers, such as Overstock.com, intend to immediately convert bitcoins to fiat, then is spending bitcoins equivalent to selling on an exchange? If so, there is little incentive to spend because it adversely impacts your investment, unless sufficient new fiat is flowing into the exchanges to offset your bitcoin purchases.

2014 could turn out to be a very bad year for bulls if too many large merchants decide to accept bitcoin.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Isn't what BitPay does with its BTC more important then what Overstock does with it? Or maybe we can start a whole new group of activists who support merchants who don't instantly convert their BTC to fiat at the POS.
Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:07:34 AM

If major retailers, such as Overstock.com, intend to immediately convert bitcoins to fiat, then is spending bitcoins equivalent to selling on an exchange? If so, there is little incentive to spend because it adversely impacts your investment, unless sufficient new fiat is flowing into the exchanges to offset your bitcoin purchases.

2014 could turn out to be a very bad year for bulls if too many large merchants decide to accept bitcoin.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Isn't what BitPay does with its BTC more important then what Overstock does with it? Or maybe we can start a whole new group of activists who support merchants who don't instantly covert their BTC to fiat at the POS.

Well, the point is that more merchants accepting bitcoin is typically viewed as bullish. I disagree if the merchants intend to immediately convert back to fiat. Overstock has already announced it intends to do this to avoid price volatility.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:09:10 AM

Maybe I should read up on history. Can someone point me to something in history that meant trouble and triggered all the regulation we have in the "regulated" markets?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

It's one of my biggest fears I have because it could work with bitcoin given the limited and well known supply.

Thanks DaSheep.  I though this was interesting:

"But on January 7, 1980, in response to the Hunts' accumulation, the exchange rules regarding leverage were changed, when COMEX adopted "Silver Rule 7" placing heavy restrictions on the purchase of commodities on margin. The Hunt brothers had borrowed heavily to finance their purchases, and as the price began to fall again, dropping over 50% in just four days, they were unable to meet their obligations, causing panic in the markets."

Seems it was a change in COMEX regulation that triggered the panic.

Yes they changed the rules.

Btc cant be changed.

Silver can't be changed either. They borrowed USD (I'm assuming) to buy silver and the rules were regarding the lending market, not silver.

It's not impossible for some major bitcoin market in the future to have such rules and change them.

Such a story would've been quite imaginable to have happened in times of bitcoinica, for example.
macsga
Legendary

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 12:10:06 AM

2014 could turn out to be a very bad year for bulls if too many large merchants decide to accept bitcoin.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Isn't what BitPay does with its BTC more important then what Overstock does with it? Or maybe we can start a whole new group of activists who support merchants who don't instantly covert their BTC to fiat at the POS.

Well, the point is that more merchants accepting bitcoin is typically viewed as bullish. I disagree if the merchants intend to immediately convert back to fiat.

There's an article on this...
http://www.businessinsider.com/retailers-warm-up-to-bitcoin-2013-12
Pages: « 1 ... 3475 3476 3477 3478 3479 3480 3481 3482 3483 3484 3485 3486 3487 3488 3489 3490 3491 3492 3493 3494 3495 3496 3497 3498 3499 3500 3501 3502 3503 3504 3505 3506 3507 3508 3509 3510 3511 3512 3513 3514 3515 3516 3517 3518 3519 3520 3521 3522 3523 3524 [3525] 3526 3527 3528 3529 3530 3531 3532 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 3538 3539 3540 3541 3542 3543 3544 3545 3546 3547 3548 3549 3550 3551 3552 3553 3554 3555 3556 3557 3558 3559 3560 3561 3562 3563 3564 3565 3566 3567 3568 3569 3570 3571 3572 3573 3574 3575 ... 33487 »
  Print  

Jump to: