April 19, 2024, 11:11:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 22592 22593 22594 22595 22596 22597 22598 22599 22600 22601 22602 22603 22604 22605 22606 22607 22608 22609 22610 22611 22612 22613 22614 22615 22616 22617 22618 22619 22620 22621 22622 22623 22624 22625 22626 22627 22628 22629 22630 22631 22632 22633 22634 22635 22636 22637 22638 22639 22640 22641 [22642] 22643 22644 22645 22646 22647 22648 22649 22650 22651 22652 22653 22654 22655 22656 22657 22658 22659 22660 22661 22662 22663 22664 22665 22666 22667 22668 22669 22670 22671 22672 22673 22674 22675 22676 22677 22678 22679 22680 22681 22682 22683 22684 22685 22686 22687 22688 22689 22690 22691 22692 ... 33282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26364627 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:45:49 PM

Oh Homer you poor old sausage. Very sad to hear that. Stay with us and we will keep you busy. But what a fucking thing.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7952

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:47:09 PM

The only thing that really extends life a significant amount is fasting.  You can take any living creature and restrict the amount of calories it intakes and it will live much longer.

I read about this recently.  Apparently fasting gives the body a boost in immune response and increase in growth hormone production.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:47:27 PM

Cheeky bastards have got me in a guillotine mood.

Stand aside Maximilien, let me show you how it's fucking done.

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:48:15 PM

Again I was looking at random btc addresses.

https://bitinfocharts.com/bitcoin/address/1Cp18yeabUg14CNp2HGwKisDoixiGgzmeT

Poor bastard probably dumped last of his bitcoins (18k) when he saw $0.32. Made himself a juicy $35k by selling 26750 coins. (96 Millions fucking DOllars today)

You can probably buy yourself a live forever upgrade with that amount nowadays.

Where are they selling "live forever upgrades" these days? Cause I see the world's wealthiest still turn into fossils and die. You'd think they'd buy it if available ...
Life extending technology will eventually be invented. But not for the next 100 years.
I would consider looking up a digest of the progress on life extension at least every other year, starting now.
There's a decent amount of buzz going on there, comparable to Bitcoin 10 years ago.

The current "cutting edge" claims are a 50/50 chance for catching up to the aging escape velocity by 2040-50, and claims for minor rejuvenation (adding less years than you'd need to halt/reverse aging) by 2030ish.

Cryopreservation is also becoming significantly cheaper, so that could be an option for people too old to make it to even 2050. Around the next rally a fraction of a Bitcoin could be enough for the cryopreservation part, and with a sensible portfolio you could "unfreeze" filthy rich whenever the technology is there.

tl;dr We're virtually around the corner (relatively speaking). So anyone who feels like potentially being able to choose their point of death should do some digging.

I'm really interested but I think the "best" thing so far is Rapamycine and that is highly experimental, only tested on mice and its unknown why it works.

I've been looking at this at least yearly for a decade and its a strong desire of mine as I consider human lives crazy short (plus I want to see the future, living is the only time machine likely feasible in our universe).

If you have better/more info available I'm very interested. Links are perfectly fine too.

Thanks! Smiley
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:48:49 PM

The problem with the full body transplant is mainly making the neural reconnections. Once that solved most the way ahead is clear. Nanotech, microsurgery, automation, etc... advances in those fields maybe could lead to that. But I thought maybe some "crude" experiment with moderate success could have already been made in animals. It seems not.

Digital mind/upload is another way I don't think is viable as a life extending alternative. I mean, you could end with a similar person but it would just be a copy, not me, not my conscience of being me.... if it was even possible anyways.

Reversing/halting the effects of aging also sound like sci-fi at this time. More so the reversing part of it.

It's the full body transplant the only thing I could consider viable even if the tech to carry it is still way far.

There are artificial limbs (arms with hands and fingers) that were successfully attached to amputees. They were connected to the nerves of the patient, which was then able to use the arm as his own while also being able to feel things with it. So we already have this demonstrated not in animals, but in humans. The reason this is moving so slowly is because you can't just walk around attaching heads to bodies.

I don't see why the digital presence should not be you, as long as the connection is established properly (rather than just copying your memories onto a computer).

But there is a simple solution to this problem.

You create an interface with which you are simultaneously aware of your physical body and digital presence. Add a function that allows you to temporarily enable and disable either presence while keeping your consciousness. That way you can test for yourself if the digital version of you is still "you". Depending on the results of this you can choose yourself what you want to do.

May sound sci-fi, but is not. It's reality and has been demonstrated in rats and more primitive animals. Life-spans have been extended quite significantly in those and clinical human trials started this year. The problem with human trials is that, well, it kind of takes a lifetime to get one data point.

Full body transplant is the one that seems the most bothersome to me. At least for life extension purposes. This seems more like a "get a resilient body that won't get smashed in a car accident" kind of thing. It'd also probably be quite cumbersome to shit billions and billions and billions of human bodies for replacements.
mindrust
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2407

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:51:15 PM

It is your memory which makes you "you". So as long as your memory lives, you live. Whether it lives on a computer or on a living body doesn't matter.

As long as you still remember certain events happened in your life, that's you.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:52:29 PM

Oh Homer you poor old sausage. Very sad to hear that. Stay with us and we will keep you busy. But what a fucking thing.

Thanks V8 Wink  Fortunately, I didn't quit my day-job (well I work shift... but you know what I mean) and soon I will qualify for discount meals at the local senior center.  Wednesday is roast beef dinner day - currently only CAD $5.84 with a beverage (non-alcoholic).
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4303

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:53:06 PM

It'd also probably be quite cumbersome to shit billions and billions and billions of human bodies for replacements.

I think I may have stumbled on a ready source of headless bodies...see above.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:53:53 PM

The damage is too much. We are talking about irreparable "data-loss" damage here. You can't repair what is already gone. In the future, you could probably farm a genetical clone from the available DNA but the brain is fucked up.
With the information argument there's at bare minimum the option of restoring a human with impairments, then fixing the damage that stops them from acting human. Worst case scenario would be total (but probably partial) memory loss. Which would still potentially be preferable to some to certain death.

And I'm not convinced whatsoever that any of the damage is permanently irreversible.

We run data compression all the time. In reverse that means that you don't need full information to restore everything that's relevant.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:54:18 PM

It'd also probably be quite cumbersome to shit billions and billions and billions of human bodies for replacements.

Billions? For what reason do you believe billions can afford this at any time in the next millennia. It will only be for the lucky few if available at all.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:55:41 PM

The only thing that really extends life a significant amount is fasting.  You can take any living creature and restrict the amount of calories it intakes and it will live much longer.

I am solely interested in things that extend youth and middle age - which would be tricky without a black hole- not the utter horror and drudgery that comes after that. I'd rather be fat and dead than stringing out another 20 years of staring into the abyss on my bony buttocks.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:57:19 PM

The problem with the full body transplant is mainly making the neural reconnections. Once that solved most the way ahead is clear. Nanotech, microsurgery, automation, etc... advances in those fields maybe could lead to that. But I thought maybe some "crude" experiment with moderate success could have already been made in animals. It seems not.

Digital mind/upload is another way I don't think is viable as a life extending alternative. I mean, you could end with a similar person but it would just be a copy, not me, not my conscience of being me.... if it was even possible anyways.

Reversing/halting the effects of aging also sound like sci-fi at this time. More so the reversing part of it.

It's the full body transplant the only thing I could consider viable even if the tech to carry it is still way far.

There are artificial limbs (arms with hands and fingers) that were successfully attached to amputees. They were connected to the nerves of the patient, which was then able to use the arm as his own while also being able to feel things with it. So we already have this demonstrated not in animals, but in humans. The reason this is moving so slowly is because you can't just walk around attaching heads to bodies.

I don't see why the digital presence should not be you, as long as the connection is established properly (rather than just copying your memories onto a computer).

But there is a simple solution to this problem.

You create an interface with which you are simultaneously aware of your physical body and digital presence. Add a function that allows you to temporarily enable and disable either presence while keeping your consciousness. That way you can test for yourself if the digital version of you is still "you". Depending on the results of this you can choose yourself what you want to do.

May sound sci-fi, but is not. It's reality and has been demonstrated in rats and more primitive animals. Life-spans have been extended quite significantly in those and clinical human trials started this year. The problem with human trials is that, well, it kind of takes a lifetime to get one data point.

Full body transplant is the one that seems the most bothersome to me. At least for life extension purposes. This seems more like a "get a resilient body that won't get smashed in a car accident" kind of thing. It'd also probably be quite cumbersome to shit billions and billions and billions of human bodies for replacements.

But when I talk about full body transplant I mean what some people incorrectly call a brain transplant. The amount of neural reconnections needed for that surgery is... well... very far off of connecting a few thick nerves for a limb.

Also, for that to function properly it would need to be an exact genetical clone. Otherwise the brain would probably don't know how to properly "operate" the new alien body. I am speculating of course.

About the digital presence.... well, I am sure it would behave exactly like me. But it won't be me. Not my conscience self.

If you take the code of two programs and copy them. Then run each instance... each instance behaves the same, but it is not the SAME. It's hard for me to explain this in english.
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 11969

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 04:59:02 PM

Poor bastard probably dumped last of his bitcoins (18k) when he saw $0.32. Made himself a juicy $35k by selling 26750 coins. (96 Millions fucking DOllars today)

Just goes to show that if you're gonna buy something with Bitcoin, make it count, so you'll have no regrets years later.  Cheesy

indeed, i try to use BTC from time to time to make payments, but never from the HODL/cold storage stash
*thats a "hole" with an only ingoing and strictly no outgoings whatsoever*

but if one hodl and just buy some extra BTC to use for payments why not its only good Cheesy
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:03:19 PM

Thanks V8 Wink  Fortunately, I didn't quit my day-job (well I work shift... but you know what I mean) and soon I will qualify for discount meals at the local senior center.  Wednesday is roast beef dinner day - currently only CAD $5.84 with a beverage (non-alcoholic).

Seems xclnt value. Remember to liberate the sachets of horseradish sauce etc for spicing up noodle soups.

Still can't quite believe the mayor just ran off with all your money, but there's no accounting for folk.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:03:40 PM

It is your memory which makes you "you". So as long as your memory lives, you live. Whether it lives on a computer or on a living body doesn't matter.

As long as you still remember certain events happened in your life, that's you.
I disagree. You precede your memories. Without you being there first there is no you to have memories.

The question is then whether or not you are the substrate that holds the memories. And in that case people run into a problem about putting their memories on a "different" computer (which my previous post shows how to solve in the future).

I'm really interested but I think the "best" thing so far is Rapamycine and that is highly experimental, only tested on mice and its unknown why it works.

I've been looking at this at least yearly for a decade and its a strong desire of mine as I consider human lives crazy short (plus I want to see the future, living is the only time machine likely feasible in our universe).

If you have better/more info available I'm very interested. Links are perfectly fine too.

Thanks! Smiley
Not really sure about any links since I haven't checked in for a while. But you can run any of the keywords into Google and find plenty of sources.

There are some serious researchers in Cambridge, Harvard and similar places these days. The main research institute for aging appears to be SENS by the way.

And with some of the keywords I've mentioned they're not directly being pursued for aging, but if you look at them you'll see that they offer themselves to that in the future.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:04:17 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (1)

Bit worried about the Mayor and Quadrigacx

Oh yeah... hadn't thought about that possible connection.

By the way, it is funny that we have not had many members of this thread asserting that they lost money in Quadrigacx.

I lost 1.5 BTC on Quad, which was supposed to fund my expenses for the next several months. And I only use exchanges for the duration of the deposit, trade, and withdrawal. It just happened to die on me at the exact wrong (or right) time I used it. Otherwise, I don't keep anything on any exchange.
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:05:53 PM
Merited by BobLawblaw (1)

Nothing just gets plugged in. The brain learns connections all over again

xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:06:18 PM

Seems xclnt value. Remember to liberate the sachets of horseradish sauce etc for spicing up noodle soups.

Still can't quite believe the mayor just ran off with all your money, but there's no accounting for folk.

Soup-of-the-day is $2.oo and seems like a rip-off after seeing the cost of the entire dinner - I wont be partaking but I may take a few packets of sauce home with me to put in my canned soup Wink
Thanks for the tip.

BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:07:54 PM

Billions? For what reason do you believe billions can afford this at any time in the next millennia. It will only be for the lucky few if available at all.
Economics of scale. Cost of production for everything is going down and with abundant energy (fusion) and advances in AI physical "things" will be virtually free. But producing all those bodies would still be less desirable than just getting some vaccine.
infofront (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
February 17, 2019, 05:09:10 PM

Where are they selling "live forever upgrades" these days? Cause I see the world's wealthiest still turn into fossils and die. You'd think they'd buy it if available ...

There's been talks of infusing older people with young blood, as lambie slayer pointed out. In the not too distant future, coiners will be farming young nocoiners for their blood.
Pages: « 1 ... 22592 22593 22594 22595 22596 22597 22598 22599 22600 22601 22602 22603 22604 22605 22606 22607 22608 22609 22610 22611 22612 22613 22614 22615 22616 22617 22618 22619 22620 22621 22622 22623 22624 22625 22626 22627 22628 22629 22630 22631 22632 22633 22634 22635 22636 22637 22638 22639 22640 22641 [22642] 22643 22644 22645 22646 22647 22648 22649 22650 22651 22652 22653 22654 22655 22656 22657 22658 22659 22660 22661 22662 22663 22664 22665 22666 22667 22668 22669 22670 22671 22672 22673 22674 22675 22676 22677 22678 22679 22680 22681 22682 22683 22684 22685 22686 22687 22688 22689 22690 22691 22692 ... 33282 »
  Print  

Jump to: