May 03, 2024, 01:27:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 29544 29545 29546 29547 29548 29549 29550 29551 29552 29553 29554 29555 29556 29557 29558 29559 29560 29561 29562 29563 29564 29565 29566 29567 29568 29569 29570 29571 29572 29573 29574 29575 29576 29577 29578 29579 29580 29581 29582 29583 29584 29585 29586 29587 29588 29589 29590 29591 29592 29593 [29594] 29595 29596 29597 29598 29599 29600 29601 29602 29603 29604 29605 29606 29607 29608 29609 29610 29611 29612 29613 29614 29615 29616 29617 29618 29619 29620 29621 29622 29623 29624 29625 29626 29627 29628 29629 29630 29631 29632 29633 29634 29635 29636 29637 29638 29639 29640 29641 29642 29643 29644 ... 33318 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26371372 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 05:50:22 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2021, 06:00:43 PM by cAPSLOCK

Bob... somebody.  Stop me from spinning up a clightning node to go with my LND node...  Good grief I am about to do this.  why?  why?

Hehehe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:00:33 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2021, 08:46:01 PM by Torque
Merited by El duderino_ (5), vapourminer (1), JimboToronto (1), JayJuanGee (1), AlcoHoDL (1)

I also think there could be a time coming when OUR crop of "OG"s are going to be tempted to move out "at the top" and then be surprised to learn that the pullback we saw was shallower than we have figured and we lose our stake somewhat.  I think a max pain scenario for Bitcoin OGs is still on the horizon.

I think we may be beyond this now. For most true Bitcoin OGs, an 80% draw down from some future ATH means they are still rich and will likely stay all in btc, essentially forever (BYOB). They won't really care anymore about future bear markets. I know I don't.

Yeah.  I wanted to talk about Cuban more than Bitcoin, because he seems to be SO INCREDIBLY wrong on the topic.  And kind of embarrassing.  I don't know if you followed the Twitter space, or the dick measuring stuff that led up to it, but it was embarrassing in my opinion.  Cuban was acting like a child.  And of course the bitcoin maxis were swarming around him like piranhas being assholes.  He is right there are plenty of assholes in bitcoin.  But he's wrong about almost everything he says about Bitcoin.  And the whole "How much Bitcoin do you own, Preston... let's compare with how much I own" thing just reeks of a big man with a little pecker.

The problem people have with Mark Cuban is that he is out there promoting stuff that he has absolutely know idea what it is, or what is does. He just jumps on a bandwagon and talks his book.

He has no idea with ETH is, what it is even good for, what it's major problems are, why its $37 transaction fees are terrible and only going to get worse, why NFTs are not the future and why they have no value, etc. And don't even get me started on DOGE. He has no in-depth crypto knowledge about anything.

The guy is just totally full of shit. End of story. And when challenged, he throws a tantrum like a petulant little child.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:01:33 PM

Explanation
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:08:22 PM

I think we may be beyond this now. For most true Bitcoin OGs, an 80% draw down from some future ATH means they are still rich and will likely stay all in btc, essentially forever (BYOB). They won't really care anymore about future bear markets. I know I don't.

The bear market is just a temporary fluctuation in fiat value.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:11:30 PM

I also think there could be a time coming when OUR crop of "OG"s are going to be tempted to move out "at the top" and then be surprised to learn that the pullback we saw was shallower than we have figured and we lose our stake somewhat.  I think a max pain scenario for Bitcoin OGs is still on the horizon.

I think we may be beyond this now. For most true Bitcoin OGs, an 80% draw down from some future ATH means they are still rich and will likely stay all in btc, essentially forever (BYOB). They won't care anymore about bear markets.

Maybe I am worried about the next wave as opposed to OGs.. I dunno.  You have a point.  I've been through every one, and 2017 hurt pretty bad, but i didn't sell then, and I am not going to this time either.  I don't think.  But what I mean is after living through X number of boom/bust scenarios some people will be MOST tempted to try to time the market and sell x amount at what they think the top is with the plans to buy back in a X % drop.  The chorus of "Are you guys gonna take some profits this time instead of living through the crash again?  have you learned your lesson?"  seems louder than ever...

If I were to fall in this trap it would be for a significant sum of value, but not a large percentage of my holdings.  This is in line with what you are saying... but I could still take a pretty nice haircut if what I think could happen happens.

We see what looks like a blow off top.  Let's put it's peak at $320k (lol why not?).  And we see it drop hard... like 20%.  On the climb back up we sell X%.  We were right!!!  It drops again.. big one... these are dead cat bounces.  We don't want to lose so we set a conservitive target of say a 40-50% drawdown.  Bitcoin makes it back down to $180k, consolidates there ans begins to climb.  We've not reached out target, but we will.  We have seen this movie like 4 times now.

But we were wrong.  The world is onto us this time.  And EVERYONE is buying the dip.  Not only did our 80% drawdown only do 40% this time, but we are headed to a new ATH it seems?  And that's weird.. we are actually not quite to the next halving even!??!?

Well shit.  I just gave up a *insert item of great value, lambo, house, whatever* for that attempt...

That's kind of what I see as possible.  Or?  We go to 320, and crash back down to 60k just like all the times before.. for one more time?
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 2493

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:12:00 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Why the fuck is James from InvestAnswers wasting his time doing weekly shows with low energy Rob from "Digital Asset News"?  

"I am not investing in crypto right now because I'm investing in a multi million dollar property investment" "I'm Dollar Cost Averaging Out". WTF.

To me that's a red flag and should be a sign for James that he is working together with someone who doesn't really believe in Bitcoin and is only there to leech off some gains and YouTube views.

Roll Eyes

IMO: His Saylor interview was great and he should do more stuff with enthusiasts than waste his time with low energy leachers.

Even if he were to interview some imbecile like Peter Schiff it would be more interesting. I have no problem hearing from people with opposing views, as long as they are passionate.
Really can't stand the low energy drive on YouTube. Fuck sake.

UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:15:12 PM

Shithead Musk started Tweeting about Bitcoin again. Perfectly timed once again as we try to hold 60k. Bad sign.
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 2493

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:24:13 PM
Merited by UnDerDoG81 (1)

Shithead Musk started Tweeting about Bitcoin again. Perfectly timed once again as we try to hold 60k. Bad sign.

Very easy for Musk to say "Yeah just build stuff and provide some services" whilst governments are systemically helping to destroy or close down certain industries and giving priority to Musk & co's industries.
The pandemic and the environment have been used as excuses to do exactly that.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10207

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:28:00 PM

buddy is letting us down

be prepared to buy the dip Grin

Ok...  will do... Should I repeat where my buy orders start?  or am I giving away too much.?  I think that I said enough already.  Will revisit this topic if we continue to go DOWNity.. otherwise our low for this period is $59,510.. so far.. not sure if the bottom is "in" yet.. because we are still ONLY $900 above such bottom as I type this response... and surely no crazy volume or anything like that going on during this crazy sunday.. even though sometimes we may well have recognized and appreciated that there sometimes can be some strategic plays that take place around the close of the weekly candle.. .. which still has about 6.25 hours to play out.. as I type this post.

I appreciate that you and I have gone back and forth in our discussion of the stock2F model, so my comments might not really be so much directed at correcting anything that you say, but attempting to flesh out some of my thoughts in this area - in terms of whether maybe I had been misunderstood in what I was attempting to say to both Torque and cAPSLOCK....  and I am not even really disagreeing in great detail with either Torque or cAPSLOCK - but sometimes, it just seems to me that ideas need to be fleshed out a wee bit more, especially when attempting to address something that is so attempting to be data driven like the S2F model.

I do not think my input on this really is very detailed or scientific. But I am reacting on a gut level to what I see out there as either an almost religious reverence for the model, or a complete rejection of it.

I do get the sense that you are fighting the model too much.. but whatever, you do you.  Surely, sometimes greater insight can come from those kinds of battles whether we are  referring to stock to flow or other talking points that normies (including the royal us) rely upon to make their BTC price prediction assertions or other attempts to describe what they believe is going on in bitcoinlandia.

I think that kind of black and white thinking is common, and a place people make mistakes. 

People do that with almost everything, and so what?  Does not mean that we cannot get informative insight in regards to the model, even if people might well be talking wrongly about what it means.

I think PlanB himself is very clear that his model will most likely break. 

Again?  Break into the future or break this cycle -- break upwards or downward from expectations may well not be a "breaking" of the model.

I am listening to his interview with Laura Shin (I wish she did not cause me such discomfort... she's the absolute representative example of the herd).

Laura is not a bad interviewer.. of course, each of us have our personality flaws and limitations.. and she is no exception.. and she does seem to do a pretty good job overall to suss out various kinds of information from people.. maybe I am more concerned about her choice to refuse to invest in bitcoin.. but sure, she has both ideas of journalistic integrity and she also has ideas that she is doing quite well with her podcast and sponsors etc without having to invest in bitcoin (or any other crypto.. not that I would consider any kind of necessary prudence or reasonableness in investing in anything other than bitcoin... fuck journalistic integrity because she could still merely just disclose and that should be able to sufficiently cover the matter.. at least from my point of view.. but hey part of the value of having a variety of thinkers in the space is that people strike balances in different ways.. and I am hard pressed to consider anyone - even members here - with whom I agree 100% - even though there are likely some guys here who I have really high levels of agreement - perhaps getting up to the 95% arena... though maybe if we met for beers and tried to hash things out, I might find out that it's more like 92%-ish.. at the most.. hahahahahaha.)..

By the way, you are one of the guys, cAPSLOCK, who I tentatively consider having 80% to 90% agreement levels with (change my mind if you must.. it's not a locked amount), even though sometimes our ways of presenting are different and sometimes we might even annoy one another in terms of tone.. but substantively (at least in recent times), we have pretty damned high levels of agreement.. seems to me.. at least off the top of my head.

And they are talking about whether or not this cycle could be the supercycle and his position is it's still too early.  And to be honest I agree with him.  I think the chance that THIS is the cycle is lower than the chance that it is not.

Those are my leanings regarding supercycle ideas, too...so it seems that you, me and PlanB are decently aligned regarding aspects of applicability of the supercycle to this particular cycle.

But what I am saying is IT WILL eventually happen.  If not this cycle, then one of the next. 

I don't know if you are saying anything much different here.,. except maybe you are inclined to get rid of the stock to flow way quicker than me or PlanB and maybe I am going to want to hang onto the stock to flow model longer than PlanB.. even though we are talking about PlanB's model.. but I give few shits about if he were to give up on the model before me.. if we are talking this cycle or a few cycles down the road.

I actually suspect that with the playing out of facts, PlanB is going to likely find some ways to either recover his model or to tweak it in ways that I already anticipate (such as shifting the curve), but do I give any shits about whether he shifts the curve or not.?  No I don't.  We will cross that bridge when we get there.. if I am still alive.. and until then , the stock to flow model represents amongst the best of the predictor models.. especially if it is coupled with the 4-year fractal (adds redundancy) and exponential s-curve adoption based on network effects and Metcalfe principles (helps to account for demand - which is similar to accounting for possible rates of adoption)..

Simply because of the macro environment (gold USD inflation central banks etc) as well as the fact that the halvings are causing the reward to become exponentially smaller...

It really is the exponential aspect of this that is so interesting.  Bitcoin is the PARABOLIC asset.  Everything about it.the math behind it is astronomical, and every thing about the way bitcoin grows is parabolic.

Of course, the parabolic aspect of adoption and growth is something that is not really captured by the model.. and you almost constantly find me suggesting that S2F has to be supplemented by accounting for exponential s-curve adoption based on networking effects and Metcalfe principles.

Anyway.  I think PlanB is probably right that this halving will also have a draw down.  But I would also be kind of surprised if it is the same sort of 80+% thing we have seen in the past.

You, me and PlanB are saying similar things on the draw down topic.. at least when you present the matter generally, like you just did. 

By the way, several times in the past year or perhaps even longer, I personally have been suggesting if the top is really damned high for this cycle.. such as going to $1.5 million-ish (of course not very high odds of it happening), then the subsequent draw down is going to be greatly brutal in terms of percentages, but if we end up having a somewhat whimpy top that might ONLY get into the $100ks or $200ks, then it would hardly make any sense to experience a draw down of 80%+-ish.. even though we know that anything in bitcoin is possible, so what actually ends up happening does not have any kind of "has to make sense" prerequisite.

I also think there could be a time coming when OUR crop of "OG"s are going to be tempted to move out "at the top" and then be surprised to learn that the pullback we saw was shallower than we have figured and we lose our stake somewhat.  I think a max pain scenario for Bitcoin OGs is still on the horizon.

Oh gawd.. cAPSLOCK.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  If you are trying to lump too many peeps into the same categories, you are surely going to get ur lil selfie into trouble.  We should have already figured by now that if we try to guess what various BIG holders are going to do when the BTC price goes up, we are going to get it wrong to predict that they (we) are going to sell on-mass at certain price points.  Of course, there are always going to be some guys who have regrets, and maybe conclude that they should have sole more.. they ended up selling 10%, but upon retrospect, they see that they could have done way better by selling more.. blah blah blah.. so what.  Always going to be guys like that... and also going to be guys who give few shits about if the draw down is 50% or 80% or whatever.. they are still 3x, 10x, 50x, 100x, 1000x or whatever in profits even after the 80%-ish draw down or whatever ends up happening.  They give few shits about the draw down because they already accounted for (and/or anticipated) those levels of extremes (such as 80%+-ish).. Of course, there are going to be variations of preparing in advanced and regrets about not having had prepared enough, too.

Anyway... my thoughts are all over the place on this stuff. Smiley

Of course, if you either try to lump too many folks into one category, you are going to devolve into incoherence and also if you are failing/refusing to account for already existing credible BTC price prediction models by spinning your own models, then you are also likely to be led astray.. and lead us (the royal us, of course) astray along the way, too.

Keep us above 60
~
Otherwise I’m forced to start buying little dips…
Good idea, I like it! I created a buy order at €60, just for the hell of it Cheesy
Now I wait for a fat finger flash crash.

Whoaza!!!!!!!   Gonna have to label you as a troll soon Loyce.. (alternatively a bitcoin naysayer, nocoiner, undercoiner, fence-sitter, DOWNity aspirationalist or some other variant of those titles)

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:28:37 PM
Merited by El duderino_ (5)

It’s easy to ignore the innovation that is Bitcoin and it’s groovy ride towards the top as apex predator. But there is some truth in his tweet: don’t chase money but innovate. It’s intellectually lazy though to ignore the path that Bitcoin is taking and it’s significance.
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 1825
Merit: 5551

Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:41:18 PM
Merited by cAPSLOCK (1)

Bob... somebody.  Stop me from spinning up a clightning node to go with my LND node...  Good grief I am about to do this.  why?  why?

... you fool.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4468

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:44:12 PM

For most true Bitcoin OGs, an 80% draw down from some future ATH means they are still rich and will likely stay all in btc, essentially forever (BYOB). They won't really care anymore about future bear markets.

Well said.
shahzadafzal
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2891

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 06:51:11 PM

US hitting a debt ceiling
https://youtu.be/orakE9t1tpo

Bitcoin can solve this?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:01:25 PM

Explanation
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:22:20 PM

By the way, several times in the past year or perhaps even longer, I personally have been suggesting if the top is really damned high for this cycle.. such as going to $1.5 million-ish (of course not very high odds of it happening), then the subsequent draw down is going to be greatly brutal in terms of percentages, but if we end up having a somewhat whimpy top that might ONLY get into the $100ks or $200ks, then it would hardly make any sense to experience a draw down of 80%+-ish.. even though we know that anything in bitcoin is possible, so what actually ends up happening does not have any kind of "has to make sense" prerequisite.

This idea has only briefly graced my consciousness.  But it is interesting indeed.  The idea that it's not that the drawdown will be as dramatic this time, but that the bull goes further than we would guess...  Conventional wisdom suggest the days of 100 baggers are in the rear view, but your 1.5mm is still a 75x run from the last bull.  Giving us a top that looks more like the early increases than more recent ones.  The fun part is we could have an 80% drawdown that sends us to *only* 300k in this scenario. lol.

I love this idea being true... well sort of.  Because the sheer amount of capital I will "lose" in that scenario is mind boggling. Lol.  I mean we are talking THOUSANDS of dollars. Tongue

This idea also could fit the "s curve" sort of model.  And I think there is a good non-zero, but small chance it pans out that way.  I would be neeto.  And in this scenario I am in Torques "it just doesn't matter anymore OG" category in which I can sell just a little corn to finance "life changing" types of things like ranches and racetracks without endangering most of my capital... so here's to that one happening.

Now, as to you interpretation of my positions.  I think you are pushing me further into a polarity than I am comfortable being in.  For example, I am NOT railing against PlanB's model, or feeling that it HAS TO BREAK.  And like you said most of my positions actually line up with his.  I do not have any need to disprove it or anything like that.  I am very comfortable in the grey world.  Poker taught me this.  I think in numbers of possible universes... not just "this one", and "not this one".

Another way to talk about that model... is it does not take into account things that are outside of it.   I think that reality is one reason he made his cross asset version.  Because the original S2F model is all about the very pure numbers of only bitcoin.  But if bitcoin starts competing with other stores of value then we also have to consider the effect of that.  Bitcoins S2F is similar to golds now, I think.  So by that measurement it deserves a 10x just to be correctly valued (which gets us almost halfway to your 1.5mm land).  But when you consider it also would be competing with real estate, bonds, collectables etc... the pie just got WAY bigger.

This is where I think the original S2F model breaks to the upside.  PlanB was smart to have a second model waiting up there to catch it so he can say "See?  My OTHER model was right". Wink
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3859

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:26:17 PM
Merited by fillippone (3)

I doubt that either you and/or Torque are saying much of anything in regards to your criticisms of the stock-to-flow model, cAPSLOCK.  Sure, the model might break to the downside or it might break to the upside or the model might not break, at all.. So fucking what?

Well, let me put my PlanB zealot hat on discussing this.
I disagree when you say the model is not going to break.
I cannot see a state of the world where this model is not breaking.

This model is either going to break on the downside, with the model price being too above the real world. Essentially meaning that bitcoin has failed to appreciate as the best SoV the human kind has ever considered using, beating the only other SoV that retained such a function for the last few millennia: gold.

The other possibility is that the model breaks on the upside: people start factoring future halving and start front-running the model, until it breaks. Now, if it is bitcoin breaking on the upside or US dollar breaking on the downside it will be difficult to assess. But this is the scenario.

I really cannot see bitcoin being considered a reliable SoV and people not frontrunning halving appreciation cycles, meaning the model hold true for more than a few halving.  

This is not my original thinking, but a well known position of PlanB. See my thread, OP Q&A4:

Stock-to-Flow Model: Modeling Bitcoin's Value with Scarcity

Even at current predicted values at some point S2F, if applied as is, breaks the [current] world, this is clear.
planB even commented on this..we are OK at btc=gold or even btc=real estate, but not after that (after ~200 tril).
I am not sure what the model is predicting, though-one possibility is that it simply breaks, but another, more exciting possibility, is that it predicts roughly 10x-100X jump in the world GDP, possibly  caused by the widespread AI use, virtual/augmented reality markets, asteroid mining, blah blah.

OT: what a poor/one way show of MU vs LFC  Sad
El duderino_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 12034

BTC + Crossfit, living life.

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:43:07 PM

For most true Bitcoin OGs, an 80% draw down from some future ATH means they are still rich and will likely stay all in btc, essentially forever (BYOB). They won't really care anymore about future bear markets.

Well said.

Very well said…. Though I would less enjoy it …. Way less ….
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3859

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:51:00 PM

Well said.

I decided to consider only the 200wk value as my 'current account value' for various considerations such as taking loans, etc.
I don't really plan to sell much or even anything at almost any price point.
Well, if it comes to 1.5mil in a year or two (if we are in the super-cycle), sure, I would sell a couple of coins to do something silly, lakes or whatnot.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:51:27 PM

Well said.

Yeah same...  

I guess different people have different thresholds for this...

I honestly do not know how I will react to the next bear if we have one historically similar.  I *guess* it will be like the last...  painful, but part of the ride.  Bitcoin (and poker) have taught me to handle loss well in life.  But it is not easy for me yet.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10207

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
October 24, 2021, 07:54:20 PM

[edited out]

Yeah.  I wanted to talk about Cuban more than Bitcoin, because he seems to be SO INCREDIBLY wrong on the topic.  And kind of embarrassing. 

There are a lot of people who are wrong.. and have varying levels of wrong and also have large audiences.. but why should we get distracted?  even admittedly distracted?

I don't know if you followed the Twitter space, or the dick measuring stuff that led up to it, but it was embarrassing in my opinion.  Cuban was acting like a child.  And of course the bitcoin maxis were swarming around him like piranhas being assholes.  He is right there are plenty of assholes in bitcoin.  But he's wrong about almost everything he says about Bitcoin.  And the whole "How much Bitcoin do you own, Preston... let's compare with how much I own" thing just reeks of a big man with a little pecker.

I mostly only follow twitter to the extent that I come across links or topics that are mentioned in this thread, this forum or rarely in some other areas that I come across in my daily activities.  I do not purposefully keep track of certain twitter accounts.. even though sometimes I will peruse through certain twitter accounts of some guys that I tend to find credible and/or worth seeing what they are up to.  So, yeah I had not really heard about the Cuban/Preston Pysh battle... even though I have come across Pysh a lot in various podcasts, including his own We Study Billionaires podcast   (yes I am behind on that podcast in terms of listening to the historical ones (between 2015 and early 2020))

So I was avoiding THAT conversation with my friend who is an employee of his, as well as someone who probably agrees with Cuban's position on BTC both because hes a standard finance guy as well as someone who has done very well with a traditional sort of approach to money.  My firned is also an iconoclast and would probably like Doge based on that alone, similarly to Musk.

I just think the conversation would go nowhere...  Or perhaps even to somewhere bad.  My buddy will have made a good deal of money the usual way... good job, right decisions, with a dash of skinflint thrown in.

And I will be well off because I made a retarded bet on magical internet money and got spectacularly lucky despite having no idea what I am doing and being in the right place at the right time in spite of my mistakes.

For sure, both you and I know that such phenomenon of nouveau rich through bitcoin (such as us) versus status quo rich (well-off, well-connected) is not going away any time soon, yet I don't see any reason to really fight it or to try to convince any of them.  Sure, if the conversation comes up, then not a problem to go down that path with them to the extent that they are receptive to the topic, and if they are not ready then talk about them about other topics/interests that you may have in common.. and of course, if we are having trouble relating then we just won't be hanging out with those folks..   You and I already appreciate that they will be coming around sooner or later, but it still may well take 20-50 years to really get some of these guys onboard.. and not really our problem after a certain amount of time, anyhow.. right?  We just find our circles in which we want to hang, whether it is on islands, boats or just wanting to imitate some variation of a normies life - maybe just with larger holdings in property ourselves, too.. just might become inevitable.. even if we may well maintain decent amounts of wealth in bitcoin too.

What frustrates me is Cuban is most literally a beneficiary of the above luck equation (though I imagine to hold on to what he gained took some good decisions) whereas from MY perspective my decisions have been VERY WELL researched, and understood.  I just don't see the argument of who was struck by blind luck to be productive.

In some sense, there remains a kind of who really cares aspect to this whole last paragraph, no?  I mean people make money in all kinds of ways and they also have differing levels of popularity, influence and ways of explaining how they got to where they are and what formulas might work in the future for normies or otherwise.  I just don't find it to be a very productive discussion point in terms of whether you are merely trying to rationalize your current choices or if you are trying to influence others in terms what might be good for them.. In the end, each of us are going to have to decide how to approach our various investments (whether we are talking about time or finances), and there are going to be ramifications for our choices.. .. and surely, view of any underlying asset in terms of fundamentals (and long term) versus pumpamentals (in terms of short term in and out) are going to be factors that normies are going to measure differently, and some normies are going to prosper more from their choices, methodologies and their putting plans to actions.  And, sure some people will be disproportionately influenced by following someone who they should not be following.. but again, I am quite disinclined personally to get caught up in those kinds of battles in which there are all kinds of ways that you can go and there are all kinds of ways in which you might get lucky or not by following pump and dump strategies.

I think we may be beyond this now. For most true Bitcoin OGs, an 80% draw down from some future ATH means they are still rich and will likely stay all in btc, essentially forever (BYOB). They won't care anymore about bear markets.

Maybe I am worried about the next wave as opposed to OGs.. I dunno.  You have a point.  I've been through every one, and 2017 hurt pretty bad, but i didn't sell then, and I am not going to this time either.  I don't think.  But what I mean is after living through X number of boom/bust scenarios some people will be MOST tempted to try to time the market and sell x amount at what they think the top is with the plans to buy back in a X % drop.  The chorus of "Are you guys gonna take some profits this time instead of living through the crash again?  have you learned your lesson?"  seems louder than ever...

I am having some troubles relating cAPSLOCK.. I just have trouble understanding your seeming ongoing level of panic in regards to corrections....

Sure, I try to presume that in your situation you may well have had a lot of "mistakes" were made along the way, just like a lot of earlier adopters.. I mean like you are 2.5 years ahead of me (going by your forum date), so sure I could presume that you might well have made quite a few mistakes, and that is why you have a certain level of trepidation about large corrections, but still at some point, you should be getting a level of BTC accumulation that largely dwarfs the drops.. I mean.. even if you had something like $1k cost per BTC so in 2017 you ended up going down from 20x profits to 3x profits, you should be able to withstand these shaking outs more and more with the passage of time and even the corrections do not bring you down as much.. so lets say that BTC prices go to $500k (that's 500x profits), and then they come back down to 80k, then you are still 80x in profits, so why should you give too many shits about if you shave off some BTC at 500x or 80x, and if you are getting a wee bit worried, you can sell a very small amount of your total holdings at various price points on the way up in order to help you to get some of your assurances and comfort levels.

Even crazy Risto (RIP) had some decent ideas in regards to various times to be taking (raking) profits on the way up... we can look at his SSS plan/thread for those kinds of ideas.

In other words, you should be able to shave off relatively small amounts of BTC on the way up.. in order that in theory you should not be giving any shits about if a correction happens thereafter... (80%, right?  do you believe higher correction levels are possible or likely?  Are you still thinking about that there are decently high odds that we go to zero?  Then you better take out a wee bit more bitcoin to prepare yourself for the going to zero scenario, even if someone like me believes such scenario is quite highly unlikely that I feel that I am already sufficiently prepared for such scenario by what I have taken out already)...

If I were to fall in this trap it would be for a significant sum of value, but not a large percentage of my holdings.  This is in line with what you are saying... but I could still take a pretty nice haircut if what I think could happen happens.

Being over invested remains a potential problem for a lot of guys, but they do not have to take 100% off the table in order to fix the issue.. .. and I can imagine all kinds of scenarios in which taking less than 10% off the top would actually fix such over-invested scenario (and you are getting all your principle back by taking 10% off the table if BTC is a mere 10x of your average cost per BTC - even assuming that you may well have made some mistakes along the way)..

We see what looks like a blow off top.  Let's put it's peak at $320k (lol why not?).  And we see it drop hard... like 20%.  On the climb back up we sell X%.  We were right!!!  It drops again.. big one... these are dead cat bounces.  We don't want to lose so we set a conservitive target of say a 40-50% drawdown.  Bitcoin makes it back down to $180k, consolidates there ans begins to climb.  We've not reached out target, but we will.  We have seen this movie like 4 times now.

Another way, is don't fucking buy back.. just take whatever off the table and forget about any kind of need or pressure to buy back with that money.. and it does not even need to be high amounts.

If you are creating some kind of unrealistic goal that you need to become a billionaire or a multi-billionaire by a certain amount of time (next cycle or the one thereafter or thereafter) blah blah blah.. based on some crazy parameters that are in your head.. then maybe I am having some troubles relating why you need that much in order to be financially and psychologically comfortable...and not worried about future BTC price directions.

But we were wrong.  The world is onto us this time.  And EVERYONE is buying the dip.  Not only did our 80% drawdown only do 40% this time, but we are headed to a new ATH it seems?  And that's weird.. we are actually not quite to the next halving even!??!?

That is part of the outline of scenarios to show that you should not necessarily care about whether you buy back or not.

Well shit.  I just gave up a *insert item of great value, lambo, house, whatever* for that attempt...

That's kind of what I see as possible.  Or?  We go to 320, and crash back down to 60k just like all the times before.. for one more time?

I am thinking that it is NOT that difficult to provide for a variety of scenarios, including taking some action that ends up preparing you for any of those versions of the scenarios that you outline and also prepare yourself for other possible scenarios too.. I just consider that you do not need to be very exact in terms of any kind of planning for what might happen or not.. just take some off the table.. and maybe save some for buying back and some other amounts you are not buying back with.  You should be able to figure out what those numbers are... whether you do it on a white sheet of paper, or excel or otherwise.. I personally prefer excel in order that I am able to play around with various versions and various scenarios in order to really attempt to measure my various levels of possible satisfaction when projecting out into the future.. Of course, projections become much more concrete when they actually happen instead of being projections, but it still can be quite helpful to plot out a variety of scenarios, and maybe even once you plot out one or two Excel spreadsheets and you change the parameters, it starts to become quite clear without having to do a bunch of them.
Pages: « 1 ... 29544 29545 29546 29547 29548 29549 29550 29551 29552 29553 29554 29555 29556 29557 29558 29559 29560 29561 29562 29563 29564 29565 29566 29567 29568 29569 29570 29571 29572 29573 29574 29575 29576 29577 29578 29579 29580 29581 29582 29583 29584 29585 29586 29587 29588 29589 29590 29591 29592 29593 [29594] 29595 29596 29597 29598 29599 29600 29601 29602 29603 29604 29605 29606 29607 29608 29609 29610 29611 29612 29613 29614 29615 29616 29617 29618 29619 29620 29621 29622 29623 29624 29625 29626 29627 29628 29629 29630 29631 29632 29633 29634 29635 29636 29637 29638 29639 29640 29641 29642 29643 29644 ... 33318 »
  Print  

Jump to: