May 08, 2024, 05:08:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 5994 5995 5996 5997 5998 5999 6000 6001 6002 6003 6004 6005 6006 6007 6008 6009 6010 6011 6012 6013 6014 6015 6016 6017 6018 6019 6020 6021 6022 6023 6024 6025 6026 6027 6028 6029 6030 6031 6032 6033 6034 6035 6036 6037 6038 6039 6040 6041 6042 6043 [6044] 6045 6046 6047 6048 6049 6050 6051 6052 6053 6054 6055 6056 6057 6058 6059 6060 6061 6062 6063 6064 6065 6066 6067 6068 6069 6070 6071 6072 6073 6074 6075 6076 6077 6078 6079 6080 6081 6082 6083 6084 6085 6086 6087 6088 6089 6090 6091 6092 6093 6094 ... 33332 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373771 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:10:59 AM

My buddy recommends electrum wallets to newbies, but I haven't seen it mentioned here to protect from at least losing your coins accidentally. Is there something wrong with it that I don't know about?

I have used eletrum for some time now. Very easy to use and a deterministic seed is very helpful.

I use a combination of an offline computer for signing transaction and an online watch only wallet. This gives me the security I need while still being able to send transactions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:23:06 AM

"TA can't possibly give you a greater than 50% edge" sounds awfully similar to "it is impossible to make a living by playing poker it is all just luck" to me.

Speaking as someone who doesn't day trade, doesn't know much about TA but makes a living from poker.

I think TA potentially has some value. We can all see the "ringing" from major price shifts. There's clearly some money to be lapped up there. I think survivor bias also plays into things a lot though and some people are likely deluding themselves that their TA is giving them more of an edge than it actually is and are placing themselves in somewhat of a risky position.

As you are clearly aware, poker is more than just luck. But you'd be daft to risk your life savings after winning your first few hands.

Yep. That's why when people ask me what I consider to be the most important skill of a (long-term) successful poker player I say "Bankroll management". I suspect this applies to day trading as well. Things like patience, discipline and emotional balance come in second - even though they are key, as well. I have elaborated on the similarity of daytrading and poker playing before:

You have a set amount of working capital, which  you use specifically for this activity. You are trying to grow it by taking calculated risks in the form of bets in situations, where you expect that the expected value of the bet is positive. By necessity you base this decision on incomplete information so you use various means to extract accurate information (psychology, probability, statistical analysis, experience, feeling, intuition and various algorithms). You may also try to gain an advantage by sending out incorrect information about your own holdings (manipulation). You do not expect to be right and win every single time, you just need to be right enough times in comparison to the size of your bets. This means that you working capital has to be big enough in comparison to the size of your bets and their expected value to be able to withstand the variance without depleting completely. Then, if your bets have indeed mostly positive expected value, you show consistent profits over a large enough sample size.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:24:42 AM

What concerns me is the Jorge brings problems, not solutions even when some of these solutions are fairly obvious or already known and only require a little imagination and deduction.
The discussion started because someone (@aminorex?) claimed flatly that bitcoins are much safer than traditiional payment methods.   That statement is at least unwarranted, because (1) there are many ways to steal bitcoins, (2) stealing bitcoins is easier, "safer", and more effective in many ways than stealing credit cards or bank keys, and (3) bitcoin theft is still a common occurrence in bitcoin businesses, which are supposedly run by computer-savy people.

AFAIK, each year about 7 trillion dollars are paid with credit cards worldwide, of which 20 billion dollars (~0.3%) are fraudulent. 

What about bitcoins? I have no idea how much is the total use of bitcoin in commerce (excluding speculation, internal shuffling, and large finance), but last year Bitpay said they paid 100 million dollars, so let's say 300 million total.  The MtGOX heist alone was at least 300 million dollars.  Even spread over 2 years, it alone would be 30% of all commercial use.  So, I think it is pretty fair to say that bitcoin theft is a much bigger problem than credit card theft, relative to total commerce.

Yes, many of those problems could be fixed in theory; but in practice many still haven''t been fixed, and others (like the irrevocability of thefts and the near impossibility of identifying the thief) do not seem to have a solution even in theory.  Others, like address phishing (tricking people to send bitcoins to the wrong address) may be done in so many ways that it seems unlikely they will have a single, simple solution.  The problem is made worse by exaggerated claims of security, since they may induce users to lower their guard. (E.g., see that site that generated vanity addresses.)

And anyway, why should I find the solutions? I am the skeptic here...

By the way, the MtGOX heist must have been the largest single digital theft of all time, not just of bitcoin. Is that true? I cannot even imagine how a hacker could steal 300 million old-fashioned dollars from a company, and walk away with it.
xulescu

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:40:06 AM

What concerns me is the Jorge brings problems, not solutions even when some of these solutions are fairly obvious or already known and only require a little imagination and deduction.
The discussion started because someone (@aminorex?) claimed flatly that bitcoins are much safer than traditiional payment methods.   That statement is at least unwarranted, because (1) there are many ways to steal bitcoins, (2) stealing bitcoins is easier, "safer", and more effective in many ways than stealing credit cards or bank keys, and (3) bitcoin theft is still a common occurrence in bitcoin businesses, which are supposedly run by computer-savy people.

AFAIK, each year about 7 trillion dollars are paid with credit cards worldwide, of which 20 billion dollars (~0.3%) are fraudulent. 

What about bitcoins? I have no idea how much is the total use of bitcoin in commerce (excluding speculation, internal shuffling, and large finance), but last year Bitpay said they paid 100 million dollars, so let's say 300 million total.  The MtGOX heist alone was at least 300 million dollars.  Even spread over 2 years, it alone would be 30% of all commercial use.  So, I think it is pretty fair to say that bitcoin theft is a much bigger problem than credit card theft, relative to total commerce.

Yes, many of those problems could be fixed in theory; but in practice many still haven''t been fixed, and others (like the irrevocability of thefts and the near impossibility of identifying the thief) do not seem to have a solution even in theory.  Others, like address phishing (tricking people to send bitcoins to the wrong address) may be done in so many ways that it seems unlikely they will have a single, simple solution.  The problem is made worse by exaggerated claims of security, since they may induce users to lower their guard. (E.g., see that site that generated vanity addresses.)

By the way, the MtGOX heist must have been the largest single digital theft of all time, not just of bitcoin. Is that true? I cannot even imagine how a hacker could steal 300 million old-fashioned dollars from a company, and walk away with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bank_robbers_and_robberies

Admittedly not exactly "hackers stealing 300M USD from a company" but look at the orders of magnitude.

Besides, if Gox really got into full blown fractional reserve in 2011, then the heist was not 300M USD, but more like 3M?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying you're very self-servingly selective in your examples.
dreamspark

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:40:44 AM

Looks like we could be getting a sunday slump instead of a sunday pump this weekend..
dreamspark

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:44:09 AM

He did say digital theft?
dreamspark

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:54:40 AM

Exactly, that's the point, he compares bitcoin with credit card fraud or other currency issues, blah blah blah.
However in this case the 'heist' must be 'digital', since otherwise his argument is not valid.
Jorge, the phony imposter professor with a fake phd does that all the time.

I see what you mean, admittedly didn't read the whole discussion.

A good point was made before though in terms of exactly when gox was 'robbed' in the future if BTC is $10,000 a piece will the heist have a dollar value of $7,500,000,000?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:00:15 PM

Explanation
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:17:52 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bank_robbers_and_robberies

Admittedly not exactly "hackers stealing 300M USD from a company" but look at the orders of magnitude.

Besides, if Gox really got into full blown fractional reserve in 2011, then the heist was not 300M USD, but more like 3M?
I understand that the thief may have been Mark himself, stealing from his clients.  Either way at least 600'000 bitcoins were stolen by digital transfer, the thief cannot be identified, he is still in control of the coins (unless he lost the keys), and the coins cannot be seized and returned.

The largest cash robbery in that list seems to be "only" 1 billion dollars.  Surely the MtGOX heist would have been bigger if MtGOX had more coins in their possession.

Anyway my question was about digital theft.  I know some cases (e.g. Barings Bank, Banco Noroeste, massive botnet/virus thefts) where larger sums were stolen or lost by means of digital transfers, but they were spread out over many separate operations.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:26:18 PM

Bernie Madoff
That was not "theft", but fraud (he did not take money from people without their knowledge or consent; people gave money to him, consciously), and the fraud was spread over many years.  Like Enron, Worldcom, OGX, ...
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:27:54 PM

Exactly, that's the point, he compares bitcoin with credit card fraud or other currency issues, blah blah blah.
However in this case the 'heist' must be 'digital', since otherwise his argument is not valid.
Jorge, the phony imposter professor with a fake phd does that all the time.
A "phony imposter prof" is an "imposter prof" that is not actually an imposter?  Wink
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:36:18 PM

indeed, Lol @ double negation fail
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:00:17 PM

Explanation
KeyserSoze

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:11:00 PM

When I was much younger I worked in a deli. I also wore an ear ring back then. One day a redneck came in, waited in line, then when he saw me exclaimed, "I ain't gettin' no sandwich from no boy in no deli with no ear ring on."

I was like a deer caught in headlights; not because of embarrassment, but because I was trying to parse his sentence. I just could not process this quintuple negative (and all the various grammatical implications) to figure out if he did or did not want a sandwich. I was eventually able to discern his intent via non-verbal cues such as: red face, angry gesticulations, and the fact he stormed out without ordering.
edwardspitz

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:11:56 PM

Not much going on this Easter holiday Smiley
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:21:03 PM

When I was much younger I worked in a deli. I also wore an ear ring back then. One day a redneck came in, waited in line, then when he saw me exclaimed, "I ain't gettin' no sandwich from no boy in no deli with no ear ring on."

I was like a deer caught in headlights; not because of embarrassment, but because I was trying to parse his sentence. I just could not process this quintuple negative (and all the various grammatical implications) to figure out if he did or did not want a sandwich. I was eventually able to discern his intent via non-verbal cues such as: red face, angry gesticulations, and the fact he stormed out without ordering.

Cracked me up, thanks for a good story.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:27:45 PM

It's not so much the credit card which is fraudulent (they are very prone to it but that's besides the point). It's the currency in itself which is.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:00:16 PM

Explanation
KFR

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:15:03 PM

The discussion started because someone (@aminorex?) claimed flatly that bitcoins are much safer than traditiional payment methods.   That statement is at least unwarranted, because (1) there are many ways to steal bitcoins, (2) stealing bitcoins is easier, "safer", and more effective in many ways than stealing credit cards or bank keys, and (3) bitcoin theft is still a common occurrence in bitcoin businesses, which are supposedly run by computer-savy people.

1) There are indeed.  There are many more ways to steal fiat.
2) Flat out bullshit.  Not even gonna bother.
3) It's new.  People are getting better at it.  Gold was also stolen before people learned how to defend it - should ancient man have given up on gold because it wasn't yet perfect and magically self-securing in every way imaginable?

What about bitcoins? I have no idea how much ...

Yeah.  Roll Eyes

Yes, many of those problems could be fixed in theory; but in practice many still haven''t been fixed, and others (like the irrevocability of thefts and the near impossibility of identifying the thief) do not seem to have a solution even in theory.  

Either use your imagination or accept that other, smarter people are doing so right now.  Like both Richy, I and others have explained to you in plain English (and on numerous occasions), even the utterly insecure yet ubiquitous credit card system has improved its flaws over time.  Still less secure than Bitcoin though - because (really tired of repeating this) credit card details are all that's required to fully authorise a payment and they are necessarily transmitted.  Private keys can be kept confidential - credit card details can't.

Others, like address phishing (tricking people to send bitcoins to the wrong address) may be done in so many ways that it seems unlikely they will have a single, simple solution.  The problem is made worse by exaggerated claims of security, since they may induce users to lower their guard. (E.g., see that site that generated vanity addresses.)

Nobody is expecting you to even suggest solutions - why would we expect a computer scientist to contribute some actual computer science?  That would be naive clearly.  We are however expecting you to be a little bit more "academic" i.e. objective in your analysis and refrain from portraying these problems as permanent, unfixable reasons for Bitcoin to be an inherently evil tool used only to destroy innocent governments and families.

Your lack of imagination is the reason you're still here.

You're giving hackers way too much credit.  Guinness, Madoff, Enron, Savings & Loan, Boesky, Kerviel, Minkow, Barings, Worldcom, Wall Street, Parmalat, QE, Amaranth, Long Term Capital, Brink's MAT, Breitwiser, Graff Diamonds, Dar es Salaam bank, SMBC...

D- Roll Eyes
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:15:52 PM

The discussion started because someone (@aminorex?) claimed flatly that bitcoins are much safer than traditiional payment methods. 

Guilty. Also, unrepentant: Security is always relative to threat model.   I will apologize for making that comment outside of the necessary context of a well-defined threat model.  As Richy_T observed, Mt.Gox did him no harm because his use-case did not involve Mt.Gox.  As people become better educated regarding the security characteristics of btc, they will increasingly use it appropriately and losses due to silliness like flashing a private key QR code on broadcast TV will approach zero. As my threat model is biased towards seizure under color of law - overtly or covertly, robbery during transport or transmission, and theft from storage, I naturally regard btc as advantaged.  If your threat model includes exploits of your ignorance and you know that you are ignorant, it makes sense to be on high alert.  But ignorance is curable.
Pages: « 1 ... 5994 5995 5996 5997 5998 5999 6000 6001 6002 6003 6004 6005 6006 6007 6008 6009 6010 6011 6012 6013 6014 6015 6016 6017 6018 6019 6020 6021 6022 6023 6024 6025 6026 6027 6028 6029 6030 6031 6032 6033 6034 6035 6036 6037 6038 6039 6040 6041 6042 6043 [6044] 6045 6046 6047 6048 6049 6050 6051 6052 6053 6054 6055 6056 6057 6058 6059 6060 6061 6062 6063 6064 6065 6066 6067 6068 6069 6070 6071 6072 6073 6074 6075 6076 6077 6078 6079 6080 6081 6082 6083 6084 6085 6086 6087 6088 6089 6090 6091 6092 6093 6094 ... 33332 »
  Print  

Jump to: