May 02, 2024, 12:40:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 33032 33033 33034 33035 33036 33037 33038 33039 33040 33041 33042 33043 33044 33045 33046 33047 33048 33049 33050 33051 33052 33053 33054 33055 33056 33057 33058 33059 33060 33061 33062 33063 33064 33065 33066 33067 33068 33069 33070 33071 33072 33073 33074 33075 33076 33077 33078 33079 33080 33081 [33082] 33083 33084 33085 33086 33087 33088 33089 33090 33091 33092 33093 33094 33095 33096 33097 33098 33099 33100 33101 33102 33103 33104 33105 33106 33107 33108 33109 33110 33111 33112 33113 33114 33115 33116 33117 33118 33119 33120 33121 33122 33123 33124 33125 33126 33127 33128 33129 33130 33131 33132 ... 33315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370867 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 01:03:39 AM

Explanation
Chartbuddy thanks talkimg.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 02:01:19 AM

Explanation
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 02:34:15 AM
Merited by OROBTC (5)

are we rich again?
Some people want to know how inflation factors into this.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
are these people in the room with us right now?

That's a good question.  I am thinking about it..

In the meantime, as a bit of a distraction, let me talk with my good buddy, OROBTC.

...JJG, #661544 just above

Yikes!  

No need to be scared.

My planning is much more basic than the work you've done in your referenced thread.  Yet the way I sold in prior spikes (small frequent slices as the bull markets were in full swing and soon after the ATHs) was similar enough (though unstructured) to your spreadsheet suggestions.  

I think that my spreadsheet covers various kinds of intuitive ideas and tries to structure them, even though largely replicated from several of the foundational ideas of rptiela (RIP)- and surely rptiela may have taken some of the framework ideas from some other place.. since the framework has a lot of very basic concepts that you could end up tailorizing to your own situation, and yeah, you probably are already employing something that already fits into the concepts, even if you weren't using a spreadsheet to specify it out and/or to project it out.

One of the great things about a spreadsheet would be to see if your overall value of your BTC in terms of dollars is going down, and surely, if you are expecting to be able to buy back lower, then you might not mind if the overall value of your BTC is going down in terms of dollars as you are withdrawing... so you can use the tool to suit your own objectives.

I do not plan in such detail for a few reasons:
1)  at this point in my retired life I tire of spreadsheets

I find spreadsheets interesting and empowering, so i don't consider them as work because they help to guide me in my thinking, keeping track of things and help me in my decision-making.

I will concede that it might not be healthy to spend too much time with either spreadsheets or looking at charts - including live BTC price charts... .. so I am not going to argue with you in regards to some of those lifestyle choices.

2)  things change so fast that I will make decisions, sometimes, on the fly

If you are not putting the data in a spreadsheet, then you likely are keeping several of the parameters in your head.. and maybe it is a bit of a subconscious process.

If that kind of practice works for you, then I cannot really argue with someone changing their lifelong practices, especially if they have a certain level of success with such practices.

On the other hand, many of us likely realize that planning and/or having some structure does not prevent anyone from being spontaneous within the structure.  I change my structure quite frequently, even though there are some foundational aspects of my structure that does not seem to change very much - mostly because it works quite well... at least for me.

I know that some times the eyes of others will glaze over when you describe some kinds of planning documents - especially if there might be some expectation that they might need to put some of the things in play.. and I do find myself explaining things to people in real life in terms of spreadsheets that I have been making for a large portion of my adult life... .. and of course, if we are talking to people in real life, we frequently won't get into too many details about personal financial management.. but people have to have some level of responsibility in regards to such matters, even if they use the services of financial consultants..

3)  I have never had enough BTC to attain one of your FU status amounts, but that's fine with me as my wife and I are retired OK, you may remember me re 1% - 2% of net...

FU status is an example of a goal that someone might have, and it seems to be a somewhat realistic goal in terms of being able to stop working, and potentially to stop working earlier than otherwise.

Surely, we know that getting involved in BTC can serve in very empowering and/or optionalities, without even necessarily getting to fuck you status.. or some folks might enter into regular retirement status, yet be able to supplement their lives with bitcoin and to become more empowered with more optionalities due to their having had gotten involved in bitcoin.

I recall that historically we have had some little debates back and forth in regards to bitcoin allocation topics and even some of the reallocation choices that any of us might make, and so of course, through many of my discussion with you, I realize that you have decently well thought out strategies that likely are more accepting of frequent reallocations - and probably since 2017 or 2018 or so, I have been largely subscribing to a school of thought an practice that emphasizes "letting your winners ride," which largely has resulted in fairly low levels of reallocation within my own practices.... I might have already come to that conclusion in 2015 and/or 2016 - but did not really have the chance to test out my own convictions until going through the 2017 bull run and then the 2018 correction and realizing that I was pretty much fine with how I had handled it, even though surely I could have increased my BTC stash more by selling more BTC on the way up in 2017 and then buying them back in 2018.. but at the same time.. .I still get nervous about those kinds of thoughts of overly selling BTC with expectations to buy back at lower prices.

Even my sustainable withdrawal tool(powered by bitmover) causes me nervousness in regards to the advance withdrawal months that are embedded into it, and I am thinking of not even employing the advance withdrawal months until the BTC price is either at least 200% or at least 400% more than the 200-WMA.. and even with a tool to help empower with that kind of guidances, it makes me nervous to either sell extra even though I can see the tool shows such abilities to exercise such optionalities.

By the way, a quickie point about your assertion of a 1-2% allocation that have done you well (maybe subsequently realizing that it was whimpy, but even whimpy can have very large payoffs)... but let me just say:

Between 2014-ish and 2020-ish, I had been recommending normies, everyone newbies, 1-10% allocation in bitcoin.

2020-2024, I had been recommending 1% to 25% allocation in bitcoin

Starting in 2024, I have been recommending 5% to 25% in bitcoin.

from about 2014 to 2020, I had been recommending $10 per week invested into bitcoin minimum, and starting in 2020, I had been recommending $100 per week.. of course, a person need to make sure that his discretionary income allows for these kinds of minimums, otherwise he has to adjust to his own level of discretionary income and not overly burden himself if he happens to have a discretionary income that is either less than $100 per week or not much more than $100 per week.

There are reasons for the changes in my recommendations, and probably part of it has to do with the investment thesis of bitcoin getting stronger, partially triggered by some of the craziness that we learned about since March 2020-ish, but also there are likely some needs to front run a lot of the BIGGER money coming into bitcoin, especially in recent times and likely going to continue to put quite a bit of stress on bitcoin supplies (aka supply shock, which is likely fixed through higher prices, perhaps 2x to 3x higher prices just as a base to accommodate the recent changes to the demand on the supply and the upcoming known happening regarding Bitcoin's new supply issuance getting cut in half).

4)  my sales-in-slices strategy worked well in 2017 and (especially) 2021

I am glad you gave it a name... that inspires more confidence that you have thought through whatever you are doing.. so if you have thought through it, then it is more likely to be more specifically and adequately tailored to your own circumstances.

5)  I might not have the discipline to follow a plan...

I am getting a sense that you have an outline of a plan in your head, but there might be some leeway that you are leaving in terms of figuring out how and when to exercise your trigger pulling based on your overall sense of what is going on in the BTC space.

I certainly concede that my somewhat relative success has been in at least part due to luck.  

Oh gosh.. we all need some of that, and surely bitcoin has provided a lot of abilities to have a lot of fuck-ups, yet to still be successful as long as guys mostly errored on the side of buying and accumulating corn...

And, sure, there could have been some BIGGER errors that guys make and sometimes they might recover and sometimes not.. in regards to using leverage or trading and one of the big ones is how much some guys lost when they were putting very much of their BTC wealth into "yield-earning" products.

I can see how it can get tempted to "earn some extra" cornz, and sometimes for some guys, those kinds of practices may well have had ended up being more risky than we might have had realized.

I suppose another problem is panicking on the way down and maybe shaving off too much profits.

You know one of the things that I will criticize some of the forum guys from shaving off too many of their BTC profits, and then they might end up not being able to enjoy as much of BTC's built in compounding effects - which also relates to practices of selling too much too soon..

but then we found out in 2021, some guys may not sold enough because our blow-off top ended up being way smaller than expected, and then our correction ended up going below the 200-WMA way longer than it had previously... 16 months with a lot of that time below the 200-WMA was something that BTC had not previously experiences.. and  sure, it may well end up happening again.. who knows?

But, as I considered in the past with my own views of probabilities of price movements both uppity and downnity and our financial situation and rather plebian knowledge of Bitcoinistan, I was just fine with the gains I made.  Which have not been game-changers, but that's OK.  Especially 2021...

My game plan is likely to be "rather 2021-ish."  Sell off small slices every once in a while, maybe once or twice a week, once we reach some $80k.  In 2021, I started selling at $30k, and sold off slices throughout the double spike.  I then started buying again at some $40k - $45K (too soon, oops).  My last purchase was just this Monday, I haven't made up my mind when I'll buy again.  My buying more-or-less conforms to the spirit of DCA even if sloppier, but, hey it works without overly taxing my brain.

A lot of that sounds good... you probably could buy all the way to the ATH. .and then start selling $80k and above and do just fine.  maybe you would be better off using my sustainable withdrawal tool rather than the raking tool.. because if you are just going to sell regularly, the sustainable withdrawal tool can help to give guidelines on that, too... even if it scares you to think about using those kinds of tools.. yet at the same time, if you are realizing that BTC prices could end up going to $500k or higher (which is not even outrageous) this cycle (but then it might end up topping out somewhere between $80k and $150k.. which seems pretty damned bearish), then you probably would not want to run out of BTC to sell, even though you sell that you plan to never run out.. so in some sense there should be some kind of guidelines regarding how much to sell, whether you are measuring it by time or price moves (price ranges).
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 2493

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 02:53:50 AM

Reason why I had to eat less than ramen.  Angry

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 03:01:21 AM

Explanation
Imbatman

Activity: 85
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 03:18:06 AM

Looks like the CEO of Vanguard has retired suddenly. Likely he is being forced out for his horrible decision to not support Bitcoin. After seeing users close their accounts to move to BTC supporting managers and watching competitors make a fortune in fees as their funds grow, I think Vanguard is coming to its senses. I assume a new CEO will likely launch a BTC ETF as one of their first moves.

If this is true this is utterly fantastic.  I would love to see final confirmation that this was one of the, if not the main reason for this decision.  I don't know why I have such an utter hatred and disrespect for Wall Street.  Maybe because it's more of a house of cards than they try to portray onto Bitcoin.

Huzzah
Imbatman

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 03:19:46 AM

Looks like the CEO of Vanguard has retired suddenly. Likely he is being forced out for his horrible decision to not support Bitcoin. After seeing users close their accounts to move to BTC supporting managers and watching competitors make a fortune in fees as their funds grow, I think Vanguard is coming to its senses. I assume a new CEO will likely launch a BTC ETF as one of their first moves.

If this is true this is utterly fantastic.  I would love to see final confirmation that this was one of the, if not the main reason for this decision.  I don't know why I have such an utter hatred and disrespect for Wall Street.  Maybe because it's more of a house of cards than they try to portray onto Bitcoin.

Huzzah
Imbatman

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 03:21:26 AM

Guys, a stupid question. I had the paper with my seed phrase on the bed and used my iPhone in my hand to enter the PIN code of my ledger. These 2 minutes my iPhone camera was probably directed towards my seed phrase. Should I be worried? Or am I good? Is NSA watching and has my seed phrase already? Please only serious answers.

Edit: I’m in Thailand right now and using True 5g mobile provider. And German citizen. Nothing to do with the US government.

Does it matter what we say? You will still not be able to stop thinking about it so do yourself a favor and avoid the Kopfkino by getting a new wallet.

^^^^. this
BitcoinBunny
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 2493

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 03:30:12 AM

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 04:01:16 AM

Explanation
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 04:04:37 AM

Guys, a stupid question. I had the paper with my seed phrase on the bed and used my iPhone in my hand to enter the PIN code of my ledger. These 2 minutes my iPhone camera was probably directed towards my seed phrase. Should I be worried? Or am I good? Is NSA watching and has my seed phrase already? Please only serious answers.

Edit: I’m in Thailand right now and using True 5g mobile provider. And German citizen. Nothing to do with the US government.
You don't have to worry because even if you have used your iPhone towards your seed phrase that doesn't mean you should worry about it at all. However, if you're someone who thinks a lot and fears a lot then I suggest you to create a new wallet and write your seed phrase once again on paper. NSA doesn't really have much time to watch everyone, it's just a fear that's pushed into our minds. Just relax and follow the steps that I suggested, you'll be 100% safe and you won't have to even worry about NSA or anyone else.

I have to ask UnDeRDog81 why on earth did you have your seed out in the first place?

The PIN code to access my ledger is written on the same paper lol. So far I’m good. I think I’m too paranoid. I did all the stamping of the seed phrase on washers thing. Twice. And now I’m in a foreign country. Risk of losing my seed phrase (the paper) is a possibility if I create a new wallet. Not even 100% sure if the camera was pointed on the seed or not. But yes I agree, maybe if I get too much Kopfkino I will create a new wallet. But if they were really watching it would have been gone already I think.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 04:44:06 AM

Good morning, gentlemen.
Feels good being nearly 40% richer than 1 month ago. This is nothing though, where we are going moon suits will be required.

My body is ready. Will you give us peasants a hint on when to sell? I remember two previous cycles you had almost perfectly correct timing!  Cool

You did not get into the cornz in order to sell it, did you?

Whoaza!!!!

True Bitcoin'ers are looking at their net worth being +50% in February vs USD and thinking 'meh, what took you so long'
Utter psychopaths
https://twitter.com/alistairmilne/status/1763204348824146094
BTC is still too cheap, especially after the recent Covid inflation / money printing scams around the world.

True value is probably closer to $600,000 than $60,000 at this point.

I don't know about $600k, but it is likely that there needs to be a fairly quick adjustment of 2x to 3x in the price just to accommodate the current ongoing buying pressure and the soon-ish cut of the new issuance rate...

So, let's see what happens after we get in the 2x to 3x price appreciation territory.. and then reassess.

I don't disagree with the BTC price likely being overly suppressed with the various shenanigans of the last year or two, so that does also indicated some level of artificial price suppression that had been taking place - yet I still would not consider that a correction to proper  or true value to just happen quickly either.. even though it just seems crazy that there is not very much BTC supply available..

and I do think that there will start to be quite a few sellers if the BTC price got into the 2x to 3x price appreciation from here, which would be $120k, to $180k..   I think that there will be more current BTC HODLers ready, willing and able to give up their coins in that price range.  

On a personal level, I am not expecting to be giving up too many coins in that price range, even though surely I already have a schedule to give up some coins in that area, and I wouldn't mind finding some reasons to give up a few more coins in that price range.

Just think about the guys who have 200 to 500 Bitcoin.. .. some of them would be reaching billionaire status at only $2 million per BTC and the lower end would reach billionaire status at $5 million per coin.

A few years ago, it was not that outrageous to have that many coins.. so there could be some normies who would get to that status.. .. .. but yeah.. I think that $2 million to $5 million per coin is in sight for this cycle, but it probably would be less than 0.5% or lower than 1% to be reaching those levels in this cycle..  

We could go back to being more realistic for guys with smaller holdings?

True Bitcoin'ers are looking at their net worth being +50% in February vs USD and thinking 'meh, what took you so long'

Utter psychopaths
https://twitter.com/alistairmilne/status/1763204348824146094
BTC is still too cheap, especially after the recent Covid inflation / money printing scams around the world.

True value is probably closer to $600,000 than $60,000 at this point.
Nah mining ⛏️ sets the floor. So maybe 85,000 to 95,000 is correct for low end of value.

any thing over that is speculators and investors demand.

NOT

Mining does not set shit... they follow the price.

Don't you know nuttin?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 05:01:16 AM

Explanation
OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 4732
Merit: 4239

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2024, 05:47:54 AM

If I were a day trader I’d be a little concerned that the ETF volumes seemed to have peaked. If we see lower volumes again tomorrow it could be a warning sign. Something to watch for. With the halving right around the corner though I think you’re better off sitting through any short term pain.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 06:01:20 AM

Explanation
SamReomo

Activity: 798
Merit: 673

Top Crypto Casino

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 06:09:24 AM

Not even 100% sure if the camera was pointed on the seed or not. But yes I agree, maybe if I get too much Kopfkino I will create a new wallet. But if they were really watching it would have been gone already I think.
You should stop thinking about it buddy too much, it will cause huge spikes of stress time after time. If you think that they might have seen your wallet's seed phrase then try to check out your wallet address in a block explorer, and if you see no new transactions then I'm pretty sure you're 100% safe. But, still if you fear then just go for the new wallet. It's far better to take a step then worrying.
WatChe

Activity: 896
Merit: 543

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2024, 06:44:57 AM

If I were a day trader I’d be a little concerned that the ETF volumes seemed to have peaked. If we see lower volumes again tomorrow it could be a warning sign. Something to watch for. With the halving right around the corner though I think you’re better off sitting through any short term pain.

I am the one who hasn't checked ETF's till date because of my concerns about it. But it looks like one has to keep that under consideration for Bitcoin price. There is wide speculation that current bull run is mainly because of ETF's.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 06:49:07 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (2)

JJG at #661629

That was about as comprehensive a reply I have ever received for anything I have ever written in my life (inc. the Spanish 4 paper I wrote in high school that Miss Breiner raked me over the coals on...).

I have nothing against spreadsheets, but they're not my style re BTC buying and selling.  Sure, they can provide plausible number scenarios, but I just use a calculator and notes on paper.  Just as a by-the-by, most of my formal planning is done re the big things (heirs).

Yes, nicely perceived that my plan is basically in my head, leaving open the possibilities of course corrections.  One thing I have learned: we are all different!  Also very perceptive of you to offer up the observation that it, my buying and selling tactics, might be (at least in part) in my subconscious...  What are you, some kinda combat psychologist?

When it comes to selling, both in 2017 and 2021 I sold some past the ATHs. I would attribute A LOT of luck to this process of selling roughly the same amounts before and after the peaks.  I was very lucky to have sold off a sliver on the very day of THE ATH, but not at the tippy-top peak of that day.  

Re the whole topic of "not having made enough (exact optimal amount perhaps better expressed???) money" in BTC and/or retained enough to have better "alpha", well, yeah, had I had more perfect vision of the future, sure I would have bought more here, sold less there...  [I noted you explicitly made the same point]  But who can do that optimally all the time?  Pas de moi.  I made enough to really have made me very happy re 2021, that was a nice amount, even if it really didn't change anything fundamental re my family finances.  So, no condo in Dubai, at least yet...

You made some interesting other points that I have not run into before:

-- Optionality, a concept I have run into before, but very valid re BTC gains, even for small amounts invested (1% - 2%).  Right now, I/we (I gave my grandsons some) we are running at some 3% of net wealth in BTC.  I'd have to check my numbers, but something on the order of 3%, maybe a bit more, was what I held just before my selling in 2021.  I want to think more about your comments on this.

-- That was an interesting observation as well re increasing our %-share as the BTC network strengthens, and we see more new & bigger entrants.  This promises to be fascinating, I guess in the months and years to come.  5% - 25% is more than I want to devote, though, as I am not 100% convinced that BTC is going to work out as most (inc. me) think.

-- I also like your idea (new to me) of studying and using the 200 day moving average in your thinking.  Even if it's just for perspective.  I would like to see how the pretty clear patterns of BTC 4-year cycle daily pricing (to date anyway) fit in with the moving average...  

-- I also remember from 2021 that I started off my selling-by-slice by selling slices that, at first, were perhaps too large...  Which of course meant that my smaller, later slices were less lucrative at the higher prices.  This relates to your comment about running out too soon of BTC to sell should the price run up to VERY HIGH LEVELS (say, over $150,000).  I will certainly keep that in mind not to sell off much of my BTC for too low.

Excellent thought provoking comments, thank you!

EDIT: Yep, 10-4 rgr that about NO "yield producing products", NO sh*tcoins, NO leverage.  Big mistakes are costly and demoralizing.

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 07:01:19 AM

Explanation
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2995

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
March 01, 2024, 07:27:14 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2024, 07:42:30 AM by OutOfMemory
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

If I were a day trader I’d be a little concerned that the ETF volumes seemed to have peaked, yet. If we see lower volumes again tomorrow it could be a warning sign. Something to watch for. With the halving right around the corner though I think you’re better off sitting through any short term pain.

FTFY

It's not easy for institutions to shift huge investment sums around like that. Those already invested in spot ETF decided to do so before the SEC gave their thumbs-up, so they had their volumes ready. A part of the money just flew off GBTC to be embraced by Greyscale's (or Grayscale's?) new competitors.
All the other (unlucky) institutional investors have to first get significant investment changes nicked off by directors, shareholders etc. first, while some even still wait if ETFs might be a thing and observe before they decide to get in. So if you were a day trader, you might also be heading for losses by selling too early. But that's what daytraders do. They win, they lose, they win...
As we know here in WO, most are better of by trading market cycles. But if one is the type that is mainly driven by Adrenaline and Dopamine rushes, this would probably bore him/her to death.  
To each it's own, they say...

…and avoid the Kopfkino by getting a new wallet.

Bet I’m not the only one that googled that very cool term.

Didn't hear/read that term in quite some time...

Reason why I had to eat less than ramen.  Angry

Where in the world can i get such recent stats?
Everything i found (so far) is dated back by about two working days.
Pages: « 1 ... 33032 33033 33034 33035 33036 33037 33038 33039 33040 33041 33042 33043 33044 33045 33046 33047 33048 33049 33050 33051 33052 33053 33054 33055 33056 33057 33058 33059 33060 33061 33062 33063 33064 33065 33066 33067 33068 33069 33070 33071 33072 33073 33074 33075 33076 33077 33078 33079 33080 33081 [33082] 33083 33084 33085 33086 33087 33088 33089 33090 33091 33092 33093 33094 33095 33096 33097 33098 33099 33100 33101 33102 33103 33104 33105 33106 33107 33108 33109 33110 33111 33112 33113 33114 33115 33116 33117 33118 33119 33120 33121 33122 33123 33124 33125 33126 33127 33128 33129 33130 33131 33132 ... 33315 »
  Print  

Jump to: