May 11, 2024, 03:32:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 7457 7458 7459 7460 7461 7462 7463 7464 7465 7466 7467 7468 7469 7470 7471 7472 7473 7474 7475 7476 7477 7478 7479 7480 7481 7482 7483 7484 7485 7486 7487 7488 7489 7490 7491 7492 7493 7494 7495 7496 7497 7498 7499 7500 7501 7502 7503 7504 7505 7506 [7507] 7508 7509 7510 7511 7512 7513 7514 7515 7516 7517 7518 7519 7520 7521 7522 7523 7524 7525 7526 7527 7528 7529 7530 7531 7532 7533 7534 7535 7536 7537 7538 7539 7540 7541 7542 7543 7544 7545 7546 7547 7548 7549 7550 7551 7552 7553 7554 7555 7556 7557 ... 33341 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381829 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
DjPxH

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:07:16 PM

This is the latest update from the willy report, please read it.

I want to start off by saying I agree with a lot of the criticism on this article that’s appeared the Web; my conclusions were a bit too opinionated and perhaps exaggerated, and didn’t really fit the tone of the rest of the report, which was intended to be an objective account of my findings. I’ve corrected that with this update. Still, I stand by the most significant conclusion made: Willy was the cause for the November bubble. Sure, it didn’t do it all by itself, but it was the catalyst, and prevented price from coming down by effectively removing all selling pressure with its extremely constant buying (why market sell when you can place an ask order, and know it will be eaten into anyway?). In financial markets, sentiment is driven by price, much more so than the other way around. People see price skyrocketing, get euphoric, forget all the negative and assume the asset must be something absolutely amazing for people to place so much value in it (that, or they see an opportunity to “get rich quick”). It gets media attention, and sparks this whole positive feedback loop thing. A classic bubble in every way, really; but something has to light the fire, and subsequently prevent it from petering out.

Willy was the cause for the November bubble. So yeah, there it is.
Gox is not true. Especially during the last bubble to $1200 Gox was becoming less and less relevant and with pathetic volume, while the chinese at BTC China started throwing hundreds of thousands into BTC.

I have my doubts about the Willy report as well, but concerning the volume: It doesn't matter if the volume was rather low or the volume only accounted for 8% or whatever of coins traded on Mt. Gox because if Willy really only ever bought coins, it wouldn't drive the volume up that much. Coins get sold and re-sold and re-sold over and over again. If Willy is simply buying, that low volume is enough to push the price up.
If this should really be true... Wouldn't we now sit on a vastly inflated bitcoin price that is about to collapse at any time?

I understand that this is a BTC speculation thread; however, you are speculating too much without specifics.  give us some specifics.   Possibly Willy caused a certain amount of BTC price inflation; however, that potential price inflation would dissipate over time, no?  If we were at 20% price inflation in November 2013, does it follow that we would still be at 20% price inflation - likely NOT...... give some numbers to support your speculation in order to make it meaningful - otherwise you are just spreading and/or encouraging the spreading of near baseless FUD.

The Report points out that those bots (Willy/Markus) have bought a total of about 650000 BTC over that time. Sometimes they didn't even spend money for those trades. These 650000 BTC (plus the recovered 200000 BTC) amount to the total amount of Gox's lost 850000 coins. So maybe those 650000 BTC never existed? Maybe they were stolen and Gox tried to buy them from the customers for fake FIAT. The bots were constantly buying in a way that made it almost impossible for the price to go down! Couldn't this be a very valid reason for a bubble?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:18:59 PM

I want to start off by saying I agree with a lot of the criticism on this article that’s appeared the Web; my conclusions were a bit too opinionated and perhaps exaggerated, and didn’t really fit the tone of the rest of the report, which was intended to be an objective account of my findings. I’ve corrected that with this update. Still, I stand by the most significant conclusion made: Willy was the cause for the November bubble. Sure, it didn’t do it all by itself, but it was the catalyst, and prevented price from coming down by effectively removing all selling pressure with its extremely constant buying (why market sell when you can place an ask order, and know it will be eaten into anyway?). In financial markets, sentiment is driven by price, much more so than the other way around. People see price skyrocketing, get euphoric, forget all the negative and assume the asset must be something absolutely amazing for people to place so much value in it (that, or they see an opportunity to “get rich quick”). It gets media attention, and sparks this whole positive feedback loop thing. A classic bubble in every way, really; but something has to light the fire, and subsequently prevent it from petering out.

Gox is not true. Especially during the last bubble to $1200 Gox was becoming less and less relevant and with pathetic volume, while the chinese at BTC China started throwing hundreds of thousands into BTC.

I have my doubts about the Willy report as well, but concerning the volume: It doesn't matter if the volume was rather low or the volume only accounted for 8% or whatever of coins traded on Mt. Gox because if Willy really only ever bought coins, it wouldn't drive the volume up that much. Coins get sold and re-sold and re-sold over and over again. If Willy is simply buying, that low volume is enough to push the price up.
If this should really be true... Wouldn't we now sit on a vastly inflated bitcoin price that is about to collapse at any time?

I understand that this is a BTC speculation thread; however, you are speculating too much without specifics.  give us some specifics.   Possibly Willy caused a certain amount of BTC price inflation; however, that potential price inflation would dissipate over time, no?  If we were at 20% price inflation in November 2013, does it follow that we would still be at 20% price inflation - likely NOT...... give some numbers to support your speculation in order to make it meaningful - otherwise you are just spreading and/or encouraging the spreading of near baseless FUD.

The Report points out that those bots (Willy/Markus) have bought a total of about 650000 BTC over that time. Sometimes they didn't even spend money for those trades. These 650000 BTC (plus the recovered 200000 BTC) amount to the total amount of Gox's lost 850000 coins. So maybe those 650000 BTC never existed? Maybe they were stolen and Gox tried to buy them from the customers for fake FIAT. The bots were constantly buying in a way that made it almost impossible for the price to go down! Couldn't this be a very valid reason for a bubble?

It makes a lot of sense.

I dont think the bubble was driven exclusively by the bot, however.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:19:46 PM

How and Why to Build an Unbanked Bitcoin ATM

...in which I combine electrical engineering, economy theory, and trading strategies.
Applause!
Nice article!
It's late, so tomorrow I will read it completely
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 11:22:49 PM

I understand that this is a BTC speculation thread; however, you are speculating too much without specifics.  give us some specifics.   Possibly Willy caused a certain amount of BTC price inflation; however, that potential price inflation would dissipate over time, no?  If we were at 20% price inflation in November 2013, does it follow that we would still be at 20% price inflation - likely NOT...... give some numbers to support your speculation in order to make it meaningful - otherwise you are just spreading and/or encouraging the spreading of near baseless FUD.

And what about all the poor gox victims?
They are still waiting for the price to drop so that they can buy back their coins cheap, which ain't gonna happen.
Imho this is rocket fuel for a bubble (I know a few if those waiters)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 12:00:01 AM

Explanation
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 12:06:15 AM

I understand that this is a BTC speculation thread; however, you are speculating too much without specifics.  give us some specifics.   Possibly Willy caused a certain amount of BTC price inflation; however, that potential price inflation would dissipate over time, no?  If we were at 20% price inflation in November 2013, does it follow that we would still be at 20% price inflation - likely NOT...... give some numbers to support your speculation in order to make it meaningful - otherwise you are just spreading and/or encouraging the spreading of near baseless FUD.

And what about all the poor gox victims?
They are still waiting for the price to drop so that they can buy back their coins cheap, which ain't gonna happen.
Imho this is rocket fuel for a bubble (I know a few if those waiters)

I can imagine it would be painful to buy back at a higher price.  But it will be more painful to be left behind if and when the price rises again.  They should just console themselves with the thought that if they buy in now if we do have another bubble they can try to sell close to the peak and buy more the next time the price consolidates?  Then they will in a way be getting coins "cheap" (whatever that is. Wink )
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 12:48:55 AM

looks good

600 keeps switching between support and resistance, I expect more of the same.

I really don't see market crashing below support, news has been good, and I expect more of the same in that department too.

really the only reason we are down seems to be due to impatient sellers selling in to cool headed methodical accumulators.

I am confidence we will break upward out of that mini triangle sending us back above 600, and probably going for a test of resistance (640ish) soon after.

looks like we will be stuck in this range, for a while longer.

not a bad time play the crypto currency day trader role, be the market, buy on support and sell on resistance, easy money.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 12:58:00 AM

...in which I combine electrical engineering, economy theory, and trading strategies.

Its a very clever perspective and in fact the most interesting thing I've read in this thread all week. 

tl;dr; He's essentially saying if you can't get a bank account to support your ATM then outsource the job to customers.

You do this via local supply and demand.  When the machine gets lots of fiat, raise the price of BTC at that machine.  When the price gets high enough, somebody will sell the machine BTC for fiat.  When the machine gets lots of BTC, lower the price. 

The ATM operator makes money by taking a small fraction of every trade, doesn't matter what the price sold/bought at is relative to the rest of the world (in the long term).  But of course when it diverges someone will show up with either BTC or cash to do the arbitrage... online posting the current price of BTC at your ATM encourages arbitragers to show up...
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:00:00 AM

Explanation
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:11:54 AM

Its a very clever perspective and in fact the most interesting thing I've read in this thread all week.  

tl;dr; He's essentially saying if you can't get a bank account to support your ATM then outsource the job to customers.

You do this via local supply and demand.  When the machine gets lots of fiat, raise the price of BTC at that machine.  When the price gets high enough, somebody will sell the machine BTC for fiat.  When the machine gets lots of BTC, lower the price.  

The ATM operator makes money by taking a small fraction of every trade, doesn't matter what the price sold/bought at is relative to the rest of the world (in the long term).  But of course when it diverges someone will show up with either BTC or cash to do the arbitrage... online posting the current price of BTC at your ATM encourages arbitragers to show up...

it's an interesting idea, but seems this ATM would end up buying high and selling low.
someone loads the ATM with 10BTC the ATM gives him 6,000$ cash, then that ATM is considered overload in BTC so it offers to sell the same 10BTC for 5,500$   Huh
you'd have to charge one hell of a fee to make buying high selling low profitable.
InstantBitcoin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

+░░+Legendary Bitcoiner+░░

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:23:36 AM

looks good

600 keeps switching between support and resistance, I expect more of the same.

I really don't see market crashing below support, news has been good, and I expect more of the same in that department too.

really the only reason we are down seems to be due to impatient sellers selling in to cool headed methodical accumulators.

I am confidence we will break upward out of that mini triangle sending us back above 600, and probably going for a test of resistance (640ish) soon after.

looks like we will be stuck in this range, for a while longer.

not a bad time play the crypto currency day trader role, be the market, buy on support and sell on resistance, easy money.

shake shake shake the monkeys out the trees 550 then run on panic buying to 900!!! you people!!!!  Grin   lmfaooo
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:31:43 AM

550 is a pipe dream

monkeys across the globe are waking at the thought

its not going to happen people....
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:39:25 AM

550 is a pipe dream

Can't say for 100% but I agree that it is as possible as global ice age in next week.

But they say that there is nothing impossible :-)

Last time when price was falling to $450 I was sure it is not possible also Smiley
Davyd05

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:40:40 AM

550 is a pipe dream

I agree for the most part, but 20 bucks from 550 so I would imagine if someone finds some more coins to dump from a weak hand anything is possible.

I thought our bought was 330 last time it happened.. based on some 1d fibs from the beginning of the fall rally and peak of it. 330 seems like a place of massive support, and now my bets would be of 500 bottom, but 550 is likely to hold without some big paper wallet pockets.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:42:15 AM

550 is a pipe dream

I get the same feel, price is going up.

so why do I feel compelled to do stupid things like place low ball bids?

I think I'm still buying *with my throw-away cash* until around 800 CAD.

anyone who wants to sell, I'll take your 0.2 btc at this price and laugh all the way to the bank!

hahaha, ding! ding! ding! dinner's ready! come and get it!!!

(lol, I'm such a whale Wink
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:48:50 AM

550 is a pipe dream

so why do I feel compelled to do this?

My open trades
Created   Buy/Sell   Amount   Rate   Value   Status   Cancel
July 29, 2014, 7:36 p.m.   Buy   0.2000/0.2000 BTC   612.00000 CAD   122.40 CAD   Open   

July 29, 2014, 7:27 p.m.   Buy   0.1000/0.1000 BTC   626.00000 CAD   62.60 CAD   Open   

July 28, 2014, 12:48 p.m.   Buy   0.4000/0.4000 BTC   616.00000 CAD   246.40 CAD   Open   

July 28, 2014, 12:48 p.m.   Buy   0.0257/0.2000 BTC   621.10000 CAD   15.96 CAD   Open   

One already got chomped nicely but due to time constraints I didn't catch my original 612 bid, but it's back now.

ding! ding! ding! dinner's ready! come and get it!!!

I'd be buying here too, but I acted too quickly, and spent all my colorful canadian money weeks ago at ~636
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:52:41 AM

Delusional... is that one of the steps before a market turnaround? I'm thinking it comes before anger and finally acceptance. This place is full of delusional posts, so we're not going anywhere for awhile.

Here's the real deal: we're on the seventh daily red candle in a row, and (once again) weak volume, can't break $590. I think a re-rest of the $570 support is much more likely than a return to the $600s...
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 01:55:08 AM

550 is a pipe dream

so why do I feel compelled to do this?

My open trades
Created   Buy/Sell   Amount   Rate   Value   Status   Cancel
July 29, 2014, 7:36 p.m.   Buy   0.2000/0.2000 BTC   612.00000 CAD   122.40 CAD   Open   

July 29, 2014, 7:27 p.m.   Buy   0.1000/0.1000 BTC   626.00000 CAD   62.60 CAD   Open   

July 28, 2014, 12:48 p.m.   Buy   0.4000/0.4000 BTC   616.00000 CAD   246.40 CAD   Open   

July 28, 2014, 12:48 p.m.   Buy   0.0257/0.2000 BTC   621.10000 CAD   15.96 CAD   Open   

One already got chomped nicely but due to time constraints I didn't catch my original 612 bid, but it's back now.

ding! ding! ding! dinner's ready! come and get it!!!

I'd be buying here too, but I acted too quickly, and spent all my fiat weeks ago at ~636

yeah, I got cleaned out on the last dip to 450 at around 500, now I just throw the leftovers of my slave wages on some low bids and hope they get filled.
InstantBitcoin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

+░░+Legendary Bitcoiner+░░

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2014, 01:57:24 AM

*imo* >>> PLACE YOUR BETS ON 551 AND TURN OFF THE SCREEN GO FOR A WALK....
~ WE WILL STILL BE HERE!!!!  Grin
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2014, 02:00:07 AM

Explanation
Pages: « 1 ... 7457 7458 7459 7460 7461 7462 7463 7464 7465 7466 7467 7468 7469 7470 7471 7472 7473 7474 7475 7476 7477 7478 7479 7480 7481 7482 7483 7484 7485 7486 7487 7488 7489 7490 7491 7492 7493 7494 7495 7496 7497 7498 7499 7500 7501 7502 7503 7504 7505 7506 [7507] 7508 7509 7510 7511 7512 7513 7514 7515 7516 7517 7518 7519 7520 7521 7522 7523 7524 7525 7526 7527 7528 7529 7530 7531 7532 7533 7534 7535 7536 7537 7538 7539 7540 7541 7542 7543 7544 7545 7546 7547 7548 7549 7550 7551 7552 7553 7554 7555 7556 7557 ... 33341 »
  Print  

Jump to: