Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:36:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 182 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Work in progess] Burnins Avalon Chip to mining board service  (Read 623954 times)
fydel

Activity: 522
Merit: 500

Hasta la Bitcoin siempre!

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 10:41:10 PM

With ASICMINER today announcing blades for as low as 3.5BTC, it appeared that Avalon chips that do not mine today are not going to break even any more. While those blades went already out of stock after some hours, the new price for mining rig is officially set. Essentially this means that if Avalon does not ship the remaining chips fully within the next two weeks, they become worth less than their shipping costs.

After reading the above in another thread I would like to ask whether burnin could offer some kind of upgrade option for existing and paid Avalon orders to BitFury chips - in a way that he retains his well-deserved profit, of course.

It is really a pity that his excellent work is overshadowed by Bitsyncom's inability to keep its promises.

+1

That would be great, as 100% refunds seem to be quite difficult.

hamster

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lemonte

Activity: 624
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:18:24 PM

With ASICMINER today announcing blades for as low as 3.5BTC, it appeared that Avalon chips that do not mine today are not going to break even any more. While those blades went already out of stock after some hours, the new price for mining rig is officially set. Essentially this means that if Avalon does not ship the remaining chips fully within the next two weeks, they become worth less than their shipping costs.

After reading the above in another thread I would like to ask whether burnin could offer some kind of upgrade option for existing and paid Avalon orders to BitFury chips - in a way that he retains his well-deserved profit, of course.

It is really a pity that his excellent work is overshadowed by Bitsyncom's inability to keep its promises.

+1

That would be great, as 100% refunds seem to be quite difficult.

All for that, I plan to put my refunded money into Bitfury chips, or maybe Cointerra if anyone ends up doing a group buy. I'd happily let Burnin keep my money as credit until a time arrives where he can produce boards for those chips.

-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 11:21:26 PM

I second that...
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 01:01:23 AM

Well, so it *appears* from other threads that YiFu is going to offer to refund undelivered batches of chips.

It *appears* from other threads that most people seem to want the group buys to go down the refund route.

This looks like it is going to get messy for everyone involved.  At a minimum, it is going to be a lot of extra administrative work for burnin, zefir, Sebastian (and others).

Primarily, I'd like to see a solution that doesn't result in burnin, zefir or Sebastian being out-of-pocket (obviously) and also that doesn't result in burnin being so fed up that he gives up on Bitcoin hardware work.

I'd also quite like to have the two Bitburners I ordered hashing away - they're pretty :-)

Not sure I'll get any of that, but I can live in hope....

roy
burnin (OP)

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

ALTCOM Ab9upXvD7ChnJxDRZgMmwNNEf1ftCGWrsE

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 01:35:43 AM

Yes i am quite busy, but i nevertheless read customers emails daily, in more complex cases i don't reply immediately.

@tarmi
Investments in bitcoin are always high-risk and no one should invest more money then he is comfortable to lose.
I was already writing a mail to you, but it seemed better to put it out here for everyone.

So definitive answer you are looking for:
Bad news first:
I am by law not obligated to give any refunds for customer specific equipment like the bitburners as stated in my AGB (Terms of Service).

Nevertheless I value my customers, and i am nice guy.
I will (on request) refund any money that has not yet been spend on parts.
that will be about 50%.

I have to crunch some number to get the exact per board amount.

I do plan to reuse a lot of components for the bitfury design.
But some can not be reused and will be thrown away, like the PCBs for example.

For those that received a refund i could give a discount on a new bitfury order of about 70% of the not-returned funds.
But we all have to ask ourselves: is bitfury going to deliver?

Executive summary:
50% refund guaranteed.
70% money recovered when ordering a BitFury product.

This looks like it is going to get messy for everyone involved.  
Messy would be a bold understatement.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 03:57:44 AM

However, there is also the BitFury issue of price.

It seems BitFury likes the ideals set out by Avalon and AsicMiner to price things above ever getting any return.
Nothing to do with cost to produce, but rather pricing things based on what they can get idiots to pay who don't understand the term 'difficulty' or pretend they don't care that they wont ever get their BTC back mining when they learn their mistake.
Those idiots I am referring to are of course people buying AsicMiner hardware ...

It really has become a pity the way Bitcoin has changed since the beginning of the year.

People here like Burnin, BKKCoins, Steamboat, Barntech and others have put together hardware for the community and clearly they aren't trying to rip people off and put ridiculous margins on their products ... unlike most of the main ASIC manufacturer companies.

All I can say is that I hope indeed I am wrong about BitFury and what I heard of their 1BTC price per chip - coz I am not wrong about the other ASIC producers ripping people off with their prices.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
JHenderson

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 04:16:15 AM

Nothing to do with cost to produce, but rather pricing things based on what they can get idiots to pay who don't understand the term 'difficulty' or pretend they don't care that they wont ever get their BTC back mining when they learn their mistake.
Those idiots I am referring to are of course people buying AsicMiner hardware ...

We seem to be in a massive asci pre-order bubble. Most folks are of the mindset they will make money. Even BFL seems to be betting the entire company on increasing USD/BTC exchange rates. When the losses are too high because of difficulty, refunds stop flowing, or a company like BFL folds, this house of cards is coming down.. Folks will leave as quickly as they came in..
eraziel

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 05:54:52 AM

In case some of you have chips lying around with burnin waiting for other batches to be shipped to complete your orders, I am looking to buy 10 chips that are delivered to burnin already.
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 06:21:25 AM

All I can say is that I hope indeed I am wrong about BitFury and what I heard of their 1BTC price per chip
AFAIK, the 1BTC per chip is for sample chips. Still a very high price to pay, sample chips should be priced at a level that will stimulate people like Burnin to develop a board and order reals of chips. That's where the real profit is for Bitfury.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
Grinny

Activity: 390

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:27:15 AM

You can use every single PCB for all those people who haven't ordered a bitburner yet, (because they were clever enough to wait until their chips have arrived) but will do
as soon as their batch is shipping.

Crypto-Trade: Invest. Trade. Be free.
BTC: 16seZufhkvG92kmwjBmeknASaDEJQChmNz | LTC: LSXJFDjujJkAVgE3AmTyoU5W9yA2vzijbq
Min€r

Activity: 359

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:29:06 AM

Yes i am quite busy, but i nevertheless read customers emails daily, in more complex cases i don't reply immediately.

@tarmi
Investments in bitcoin are always high-risk and no one should invest more money then he is comfortable to lose.
I was already writing a mail to you, but it seemed better to put it out here for everyone.

Bad news first:
I am by law not obligated to give any refunds for customer specific equipment like the bitburners as stated in my AGB (Terms of Service).

that will be about 50%.

For those that received a refund i could give a discount on a new bitfury order of about 70% of the not-returned funds.

Executive summary:
50% refund guaranteed.

I am sure this is against German & European Laws - you have earned and can`t finally unload your whole risk to your customers at all.

BTC Sticker: German | English  
BTC Promo Sticker Sets: German | English
1P7fvQGyNx2EwUD7zVfY8jvDFjfA5Sq59b
lemonte

Activity: 624
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:50:03 AM

@tarmi

Bad news first:

that will be about 50%.

Executive summary:
50% refund guaranteed.

I am sure this is against German & European Laws - you have earned and can`t finally unload your whole risk to your customers at all.

True, but as a community we should be making sure assemblers like Burnin are looked after. Not only as a thank you for the amount of work he's done, but also from the point of view that if assemblers lose money there is no incentive to do it, meaning they won't, thus killing the DIY boards market completely.

Min€r

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 07:55:15 AM

@tarmi

Bad news first:

that will be about 50%.

Executive summary:
50% refund guaranteed.

True, but as a community we should be making sure assemblers like Burnin are looked after. Not only as a thank you for the amount of work he's done, but also from the point of view that if assemblers lose money there is no incentive to do it, meaning they won't, thus killing the DIY boards market completely.

True but I think than he has to work out a good solution for both - him & clients. This "offer" is just a business for him not the community.
European business have to fullfill a lot of laws when selling to private clients. The TOS are illegal in Germany as I know (but I am now lawer) as consumers are protected hard - this was no B2B business at all.

Boxman90

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:24:36 AM

I hate to break it to you, but him developing and building a board, is not charity. Customers paid, so it is just regular old business. There is absolutely no need to 'look after' the person you made a business deal with.

As much as I sympathise with the board builders, burnin took his own risk in developing a board for Avalon chips, and taking pre-orders dependant on pre-ordered hardware. It is not right that all this risk is fully offloaded to his customer base, and I'm quite sure what he offers is unlawful in the EU. You can't deliver nothing and still take a part of the money for yourself (be it in fiat or electrical components). I am quite (90%) sure that falls under the label entrepreneurial risk, at least here in the EU.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
iikun
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:43:08 AM

I hate to break it to you, but him developing and building a board, is not charity. Customers paid, so it is just regular old business. There is absolutely no need to 'look after' the person you made a business deal with.

As much as I sympathise with the board builders, burnin took his own risk in developing a board for Avalon chips, and taking pre-orders dependant on pre-ordered hardware. It is not right that all this risk is fully offloaded to his customer base, and I'm quite sure what he offers is unlawful in the EU. You can't deliver nothing and still take a part of the money for yourself (be it in fiat or electrical components). I am quite (90%) sure that falls under the label entrepreneurial risk, at least here in the EU.

to get technical he could in fact sue YOU as you implicitly agreed to send him Avalon chips so that he can complete your boards. By not sending the chips you have broken the agreement/contract & thus probably have little legal recourse.

Notwithstanding this point, I maintain that it is in everyone's best interest to work something out as amicably as possible & the level of venom on this thread is getting out of hand.
The first thing to do is approach Avalon officially (as Zefir says he has now done) and see what they are willing to do to make this right. Flaming group buy organizers and board makers only encourages infighting which will get us collectively nowhere. First things first.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:48:30 AM

However, there is also the BitFury issue of price.

It seems BitFury likes the ideals set out by Avalon and AsicMiner to price things above ever getting any return.

It really has become a pity the way Bitcoin has changed since the beginning of the year.

People here like Burnin, BKKCoins, Steamboat, Barntech and others have put together hardware for the community and clearly they aren't trying to rip people off and put ridiculous margins on their products ... unlike most of the main ASIC manufacturer companies.

All I can say is that I hope indeed I am wrong about BitFury and what I heard of their 1BTC price per chip - coz I am not wrong about the other ASIC producers ripping people off with their prices.

+1 pretty much on the nose.

Unlikely to see real chip prices drop unless there is real off the shelf sales rather than limited quantities. We are all still being held by the short and curlies.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Min€r

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:52:13 AM

to get technical he could in fact sue YOU as you implicitly agreed to send him Avalon chips so that he can complete your boards. By not sending the chips you have broken the agreement/contract & thus probably have little legal recourse.

Notwithstanding this point, I maintain that it is in everyone's best interest to work something out as amicably as possible & the level of venom on this thread is getting out of hand.
The first thing to do is approach Avalon officially (as Zefir says he has now done) and see what they are willing to do to make this right. Flaming group buy organizers and board makers only encourages infighting which will get us collectively nowhere. First things first.

What bullshit - he isn`t paying me for that business & you have no idea from EU laws I think. This was NO B2B business at all - private clients are protected here, specially in Germany it`s double hard.
I am for sure Paypal too see that different like you from buyers view. They give buyers protection and if someone can steal some BTC via Paypal (getting refund after transaction) then this should be not that point of this deal at all.

eraziel

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 08:58:38 AM

What he can do for you right now is ship the PCBs assembled excluding the chips DUE TO YOUR INABILITY TO PROVIDE SAID CHIPS and keep all the money. Is that going to make you happier than getting 50% of your money back? I believe he wouldn't mind at all to do that.

How is it burnin's fault that you didn't keep your part of the deal?
fiktionist

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:03:36 AM

What he can do for you right now is ship the PCBs assembled excluding the chips DUE TO YOUR INABILITY TO PROVIDE SAID CHIPS and keep all the money. Is that going to make you happier than getting 50% of your money back? I believe he wouldn't mind at all to do that.

from a legal point of view, there was no deadline until which you have to provide the chips.

liked that post? Official BeerAdress: 12Q9d7tntiQXARjpVSRKnQhzJy4MoAaonL
Boxman90

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:21:49 AM

Hey I didn't pre-order any boards. I'm just saying there's some entrepeneural risk involved at burnins side as well.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
Pages: « 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... 182 »
  Print  

Jump to: