Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 09:41:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 267 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Off-Topic  (Read 384377 times)
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:41:49 AM

Just got a update from Terrahash via e-mail. Thought i would share this post on their blog.

http://terrahash.com/dx-large-cad-update/

Is that a full plexiglass surround? Why in front of the fans?

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:35:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I haven't been following this very closely. There are so many Avalon chip assembly threads...

Why does everyone think this is a scam?

Thanks  Smiley
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:51:55 AM

Hi everyone,

I haven't been following this very closely. There are so many Avalon chip assembly threads...

Thanks  Smiley

Well...

I've been following it since they made their press announcement (a few hours before they showed up here), and I don't think it's a scam. I think they bit off a bit more than they were ready for, but I also think they have it mostly figured out.

They haven't yet asked for money, which bolsters my opinion, and the rep is fairly responsive, if a little defensive. Then again, he got jumped pretty much in seconds.

I think that a lot of the people who have been here a while have gotten badly burned and think everything is a scam unless proven to a degree that you'll never see in a criminal trial. Not that a healthy dose of skepticism in this field is a bad thing, but I so far see no evidence of a con. Somewhat amateurish from the business side, but that's kinda the hallmark of a new industry. It's very rare to see a lot of really highly organized businessmen in this sort of field. You more likely get really smart geeks who know hardware and software, but aren't great at pr and the machinations of business.

I am not betting on any particular horse yet, but the three that I think have the highest likelihood of coming quickly to market are Knc, Terrahash, and Steamboat.

And before one of the "older" guys jumps me for my post count, yes, I'm a newbie. Both to the forum and to cryptocurrency. I lurked on this board for a month before I logged in, just learning. And what I've learned is threefold. One, I got a lot more to learn. Two, there are some really amazingly smart motherfuckers on this forum, and three, there are some people who would find fault with free gold, and they are vocal!

I'm a hard money guy, and I'm not sure what I think of bitcoin and it's variants yet. But they are really interesting, to say the least. Kind of a bridge between traditional fiat and hard money such as precious metals. I think the whole concept has a future, so I'm jumping in. Terrahash's rep (Amir) seems to be acting in a similar vein.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:56:54 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks  Smiley
From what I can tell, Terrahash got a little overzealous in posting his company information, and posted the wrong address. They were going to sign a lease for one office, but ended up getting a different office across the street (from the same real estate company). Since Bitcoiners can be a paranoid bunch, they researched this immediately, and discovered his error. Since then, they've been distrustful of him. Although he's not directly selling anything or taking anyone's money, the day will come when we either need to A) Pay up, or B) send him our already-purchased Avalon chips for assembly. People are *understandably* cautious about this.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 02:59:34 AM

I think most folks are actually guardedly optimistic.

I think post around 124 sums up a bit of the issues:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198489.msg2190559#msg2190559
Gomeler

Activity: 697

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:08:15 AM

Neat solution for housing boards. Would like to see an option without the powersupply but with the case.

why

I own several 1200w gold/platinum rated PSUs. When I eventually liquidate my GPU farm I'd like to reuse those PSUs for a BTC ASIC farm. Why pay $300 extra plus the extra shipping costs?
monkeymonkey

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:39:37 AM

I'll line up to get one.

Will the product be available to pick up locally?

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:09:20 AM

Thanks for the quick run down. It seems like the address thing could of been an honest mistake.

I still haven't decided where/how I'll get my chips on a board, I guess I'm going to wait and see how all the assembly companies develop and await their progress reports/evidence.
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:01:40 AM

I'll repeat myself on topic here:

TerraHash is a scam! They have shown nothing except template website and some CAD images. It takes few hours to have all that up. Also be warned that many on this thread are
scammer's friends and scammer himself using alt accounts. All posts pro-TerraHash are made by people who registered accounts around April and May 2013. Do not fall for the stories
like "I'm noob on this forum but I think TerraHash is legit", it is known tactic used countless times by now to persuade and lure naive, dumb or greedy into buying products or services.

TerraHash scam is about you sending them your Avalon chips and never getting anything back!

Nothing has happened yet...

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:31:57 PM

TerraHash is a scam! They have shown nothing except template website and some CAD images. It takes few hours to have all that up. Also be warned that many on this thread are
scammer's friends and scammer himself using alt accounts. All posts pro-TerraHash are made by people who registered accounts around April and May 2013. Do not fall for the stories
like "I'm noob on this forum but I think TerraHash is legit", it is known tactic used countless times by now to persuade and lure naive, dumb or greedy into buying products or services.

TerraHash scam is about you sending them your Avalon chips and never getting anything back!

You seem to have a dog in this fight. Since I'm looking to buy assembled boards, in the event you are right, nothing will happen to me since I'm waiting for demonstrated product. But unless you are holding something out, you have the same evidence as the rest of it, and I'm sorry couselor, it's inconclusive.

I am new on this forum, but hardly unknown on the internet. While you didn't specifically point that gun at me, I resent the implication. I wish I still lived in San Jose, I'd meet up with these guys and get some video. But unfortunately, my old ass is in the People's Republic of Pennsylvania and all I can do is watch from a distance.

There is a hard corps of people on this forum that seem to view everything and everyone as a scam. Sorry if y'all got burned in the past. It's happened to practically everyone at some point. The newbie bashing is endemic to forums regardless of subject, and it gets really fucking annoying really fucking fast. You were a newbie not very long ago. In fact, your register date (    February 27, 2013, 01:02:47 AM) is about a week before I discovered this forum. Prior to that what little I knew about bitcoin came from Youtube, where I've been a member for many years, and bits and scraps in the news. Life being the bitch that it often is, my personal issues caused me to miss out on the early adoption of this interesting and potentially profitable hobby. I'm trying to rectify that, and ASIC looks like the next wave. If that offends you, happy to be of service.

Now crank down the fucking volume and give people a chance. At one time William Gates was a newbie. And the early days of Microsoft were not exactly marked with professionalism either.
erschiessen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:47:56 PM

They refused to work via escrow.

They refused to show their Avalon chip order #.

They refused to post their California company registration info.

They refused to post their company info (from the one registered in DE).

I believe they stated that they WERE located in an office where they were not.
While some say that they were a little over exuberant, it shows to others a lack of integrity.

We all know they were just starting up, so why not say that they were interested in moving to location X?
No, they stated that they were located where they were not.

All of the above are Red Flags.

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
jeroenn13

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 12:50:19 PM

They refused to work via escrow.

They refused to show their Avalon chip order #.

They refused to post their California company registration info.

They refused to post their company info (from the one registered in DE).

I believe they stated that they WERE located in an office where they were not.
While some say that they were a little over exuberant, it shows to others a lack of integrity.

We all know they were just starting up, so why not say that they were interested in moving to location X?
No, they stated that they were located where they were not.

All of the above are Red Flags.

Thanks,
We need this information to make sure they are legit.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:00:08 PM

Agreed that there are definite gaps that need to be filled before anyone should feel comfortable sending them anything. However they aren't there yet.

Unfortunately with mining... If you wait until it's 100% safe the return is low because someone crazier than you took an earlier risk when it was only 50% safe.  If I had to purchase today... I think I would end up with steamboat, though he is a bit more expensive compared to terrahash.
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:18:44 PM

Agreed that there are definite gaps that need to be filled before anyone should feel comfortable sending them anything. However they aren't there yet.

Unfortunately with mining... If you wait until it's 100% safe the return is low because someone crazier than you took an earlier risk when it was only 50% safe.  If I had to purchase today... I think I would end up with steamboat, though he is a bit more expensive compared to terrahash.

I'm leaning that way as well, though I am watching the race rather eagerly Smiley
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 05:45:42 PM

I do not doubt that there are questions to be answered, but It feels a lot like everyone is sort of jumping to conclusions. They haven't even started taking pre-orders yet, what would 'being a scam' at this stage even mean?
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:21:09 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 06:33:46 PM by Bitcoinorama

And then he wanted a free machine from us, probably as an acknowledgement for his support:

When we didn't honor his request, he started spitting venom.

I don't know what "Bitcoin Megastore's" problem is with us, but definitely some vested interest.

"Basically within a month, we will be ready to assemble and ship upto 250 boards a day, given that we have the Avalon chips. Now that is a big variable, we have no idea when we
will get the chips. However we will start taking orders for the assembly service, so that in case you receive your chips, you can send them over to us and we will start
assembling your boards."

Also notice that "you send us your chips" is the main theme (bold text) on their whole website:

http://terrahash.com/

It is a scam, and that is my final judgement on TerraHash topic.

are there any other companies that are offering these services and prices, who approach the forum in a more friendly and consistent manner? I don't think Terrahash is a scam but their attitude is really strange. they seem bitter and resentful about something. I don't trust haters no matter how professional they make themselves appear. if they were decent and logical people, they would offer escrow to the first few customers, wouldn't they? i mean, it makes sense. maybe even send out one half off to a poor person like me, to show how cool they are. but I guess if that doesn't matter to them, then they don't deserve anyone's business. they are not the company they want everyone to think they are. This basically confirms it:
stop worrying about us.

the best descriptive term I can give about the vibe I feel of Terrahash and their unicorn product/service offering is "awry." (something is amiss)

Interesting...and pretty sad if true.

erschiessen

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:30:25 PM

The transaction ID for your purchase of Avalon chips?

Be forthcoming with information, so people don't have a reason to see ulterior motives.

When people request information, and you refuse to answer, it makes folks think you have something to hide.

For most, it isn't about trolling. It is about integrity.

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:35:07 PM

Be forthcoming with information, so people don't have a reason to see ulterior motives.

When people request information, and you refuse to answer, it makes folks think you have something to hide.

+1

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:04:59 PM

And some people in the Bitcoin community feel that they are entitled to any piece of information about another that they desire.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:43:20 PM

+1

I still don't understand some people. ALL they have done so far is inform of their intentions. They have taken NO money, made NO presales, and haven't scammed ANYONE. What is their possible motivation to 'prove' anything before they even have a single product open for ordering?

Damn, just because BFL happened to be the slowest people in history to deliver on orders does not mean you have the right to act as entitled children.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 267 »
  Print  

Jump to: