Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:54:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 293 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DGC] Digitalcoin | Multi-algo & Masternodes | Established 2013  (Read 523357 times)
mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:27:05 PM

I'm just gauging community opinion with the poll, you can be assured no decisions are ever made in this community without input from all members. I definitely see both sides of the argument and I am currently siding with keeping it as is or a slight decrease (10-20%).

Nevertheless, polls are one of the few ways of gathering information so don't be surprised to see them coming up. It doesn't mean anything but an opinion gauge.

Good discussion, if anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Are you the dev of DGC or are you its price manipulator?  I could have swore in a past post you said you're not THE dev but rather a volunteer.  And now you want to change DGC into the biggest premined coin in all history of premined coins.  Congrats, you have turned what's supposed to be a decentralized system into a centralized one. 

By the way, how's that mining contract of yours coming along?  You still mining other coins instead of DGC?

Respectfully, the fact you would even consider this shows how clueless you are...

-Merc
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
baritus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1052

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:48:45 PM

@mercSuey

I am the developer, a community member, and one of the service providers.

DGC will always be decentralized since anyone can do anything they want using it.

DGC was not pre-mined, your ignorance is astounding. Here's a lesson for you: http://cryptometer.org/digitalcoin_96_hour_charts.html

And of course I mined other coins before DGC was released, how is that even a comment?

You are clueless and fermented in your ignorance and misinformation. You judge based on facts which don't exist, and believe your delusion is fact. Get educated before trying to educate others.

Digitalcoin - Sha256, Scrypt, x11 Mining - Multi-algorithm & One Click Masternodes - Founded in 2013
mercSuey

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:53:40 PM

@mercSuey

I am the developer, a community member, and one of the service providers.

DGC will always be decentralized since anyone can do anything they want using it.

DGC was not pre-mined, your ignorance is astounding. Here's a lesson for you: http://cryptometer.org/digitalcoin_96_hour_charts.html

And of course I mined other coins before DGC was released, how is that even a comment?

You are clueless and fermented in your ignorance and misinformation. You judge based on facts which don't exist, and believe your delusion is fact. Get educated before trying to educate others.

Did you or did you not market mining contracts during DGC release?  I can post the link for you in case you forgot.

As mentioned in the post by disclaimer201, this can be seen as a premine.  I very clearly did not say DGC is a premined coin.  I very clearly said now you want to turn it into a premined coin.  If you can't read, then, well...

-Merc
baritus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1052

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:55:13 PM

Go learn the definition of a pre-mine before you make yourself look any more stupid.

Digitalcoin - Sha256, Scrypt, x11 Mining - Multi-algorithm & One Click Masternodes - Founded in 2013
Xmansk

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:56:25 PM

Are you the dev of DGC or are you its price manipulator?  I could have swore in a past post you said you're not THE dev but rather a volunteer.  And now you want to change DGC into the biggest premined coin in all history of premined coins.  Congrats, you have turned what's supposed to be a decentralized system into a centralized one. 

By the way, how's that mining contract of yours coming along?  You still mining other coins instead of DGC?

Respectfully, the fact you would even consider this shows how clueless you are...

-Merc

I would wonder how it could be turn to centralized system? Not to mention other nonsenses you are writing about. Where do you guys get all those sh*ts? Do you have some kind of random stupid sentence generator or somethink like that?

BTC: 13VR6e4XaGGhwq6LMGuFYdQWM5FwVqKSDY
LTC: LWyrhxuxJk8rVnGaUP98xPhVg445Qka1qr
DGC: DNgv3ZYpCwQR8spfgwANc8vAExq7danf7W
mercSuey

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:58:38 PM

-Merc

I would wonder how it could be turn to centralized system? Not to mention other nonsenses you are writing about. Where do you guys get all those sh*ts? Do you have some kind of random stupid sentence generator or somethink like that?

Federal Reserve of Baritus and his cronies....
DannyDisco

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:21:22 PM

I don't see why Baritus is getting so much flack for this.

The way I see it, he's one of the more active dev's in the alt coin market. He's innovating and coming up with new ideas to ensure his coin's longterm success.

People read the word bank and they lose their shit. It's not an actual bank, it's just an extra service and an extra avenue for people to obtain their coins.

As for the decrease in rewards... sure, it's a controversial issue and arguments can be made for both sides. However, he's not just halving the rewards on a whim without talking to anyone. He simply found a possible exploit and is trying to come up with solutions and then opening a public discussion to gauge reaction from the community. I don't see anything wrong with this. He's just trying to find a solution to a problem that will benefit everyone long term. No flip has been switched yet.

What I'd like to see done, is have some sort of mechanism that blocks large amounts of hashrate to be dumped on a coin. Not sure if it's possible... but say if a pool with more than 40% of the current hashrate tries to mine.. it simply gets blocked and no work gets sent to it.

pr9me

Activity: 369

Cryptsy.com • Got Shitcoins?

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:23:51 PM

What is your deal? Quit making yourself look stupid mate.
mercSuey

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:36:31 PM

I know many of you own DGC and my sentiment won't be all that popular.  So just answer this question, smarty.  And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.  But is changing the subsidy and coin supply motivated primarily because people are unsatisfied with DGC's price action? 
DannyDisco

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:41:28 PM

I know many of you own DGC and my sentiment won't be all that popular.  So just answer this question, smarty.  And if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.  But is changing the subsidy and coin supply motivated primarily because people are unsatisfied with DGC's price action? 

No. It is merely a suggestion to dissuade large pool hoping pools from connecting and taking advantage of the coin. It's a solution to protect the investors. It's a controversial one, but at least it's a suggestion. Rather than blast the devs and call them thieves or price manipulators, why don't you offer up a different suggestion and try to help?

mercSuey

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:46:31 PM

No. It is merely a suggestion to dissuade large pool hoping pools from connecting and taking advantage of the coin. It's a solution to protect the investors. It's a controversial one, but at least it's a suggestion. Rather than blast the devs and call them thieves or price manipulators, why don't you offer up a different suggestion and try to help?

Fair enough.  It is controversial, for sure.

My suggestion.  Don't touch the coin supply.  Change difficulty retarget algo to be on a per block basis of an average of last X block times.  So if the DGC blockchain is hit with large hashrate then diff should retarget quickly and consequently so will profitability.  If this algo is implemented I'll buy back my 200k DGC.  Cheers!

-Merc
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 03:52:35 PM

It's good to be critical, but leave out the insults and read closely.

Baritus: "I'm just gauging community opinion with the poll, you can be assured no decisions are ever made in this community without input from all members." - Great!

"I definitely see both sides of the argument and I am currently siding with keeping it as is or a slight decrease (10-20%)." - Understood. Even if I still think it's a bad idea.

"Nevertheless, polls are one of the few ways of gathering information so don't be surprised to see them coming up. It doesn't mean anything but an opinion gauge. Good discussion, if anyone has anything else to add, please do." - It's good to have polls!

mercSue: "Are you the dev of DGC or are you its price manipulator?" - Rightful question dev has to live with if he considers changing the rewards.

"And now you want to change DGC into the biggest premined coin in all history of premined coins." - It wouldn't technically be a premine, but it was clear this proposal could cause anger and concern.  

"Congrats, you have turned what's supposed to be a decentralized system into a centralized one." - He hasn't done anything, and even if he did, DGC would still be a decentralized coin, unlike ripple for example

"By the way, how's that mining contract of yours coming along?" - Is this related to DGC at all?

"Respectfully, the fact you would even consider this shows how clueless you are..." - This sentence is antagonizing and should have been dropped. And writing "respectfully" doesn't make it any less so.

DannyDisco:
"What I'd like to see done, is have some sort of mechanism that blocks large amounts of hashrate to be dumped on a coin. Not sure if it's possible... but say if a pool with more than 40% of the current hashrate tries to mine.. it simply gets blocked and no work gets sent to it." - This is what we should be focusing on.
mercSuey

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 04:03:54 PM

It's good to be critical, but leave out the insults and read closely.

Baritus: "I'm just gauging community opinion with the poll, you can be assured no decisions are ever made in this community without input from all members." - Great!

"I definitely see both sides of the argument and I am currently siding with keeping it as is or a slight decrease (10-20%)." - Understood. Even if I still think it's a bad idea.

"Nevertheless, polls are one of the few ways of gathering information so don't be surprised to see them coming up. It doesn't mean anything but an opinion gauge. Good discussion, if anyone has anything else to add, please do." - It's good to have polls!

mercSue: "Are you the dev of DGC or are you its price manipulator?" - Rightful question dev has to live with if he considers changing the rewards.

"And now you want to change DGC into the biggest premined coin in all history of premined coins." - It wouldn't technically be a premine, but it was clear this proposal could cause anger and concern.  

"Congrats, you have turned what's supposed to be a decentralized system into a centralized one." - He hasn't done anything, and even if he did, DGC would still be a decentralized coin, unlike ripple for example

"By the way, how's that mining contract of yours coming along?" - Is this related to DGC at all?

"Respectfully, the fact you would even consider this shows how clueless you are..." - This sentence is antagonizing and should have been dropped. And writing "respectfully" doesn't make it any less so.

DannyDisco: "What I'd like to see done, is have some sort of mechanism that blocks large amounts of hashrate to be dumped on a coin. Not sure if it's possible... but say if a pool with more than 40% of the current hashrate tries to mine.. it simply gets blocked and no work gets sent to it." - This is what we should be focusing about.

Thanks for the post.  I despise anything resembling the actions of a central authority akin to the Federal Reserve.  And this was how I interpreted Baritus's (possible) actions.

The mining contract thing goes back to when DGC was released.  I'll find the posts (it's like on page six or something), but I found it so insulting that I question Baritus's motives sometimes.  He's a nice guy and an active dev but then he'll do these really questionable things like the mining contract during DGC release when it would behoove the blockchain to have more trusted miners mining.  Or, for instance, ignoring the reputation of a certain notorious troll on this forum and welcoming him onto DGC's dev team (that was when I sold my holdings of DGC btw).  And now considering to change the coin subsidy when changing the diff retarget algo should be considered first.

-Merc
cosmoo

Activity: 729
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 05:47:15 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2013, 05:57:46 PM by cosmoo

If i could throw my two bits in here, I own a fair chunk of DGC and tampering with the block reward doesn't sit well with me. The virtues of doing so don't seem to outweigh the fallbacks by much and so far DGC has had an impeccable record to its name. Good reputation is hard to gain and easy to lose; I hate to see DGC fall prey to such claims when so far its successfully held its original intention of equal community.

The flash miners that bombarded the network when the price spiked does compromise the security of the coin and I understand how Baritus wants to protect something that so far has become an admirable force in the world of altcoins, but this is simply a result of the environment we're trying to succeed in, you can't change that. Brainstorming ideas for improvement is great, and Baritus, thank you for making the decisions on changing the code public domain, that's exactly what I want to see from a developer and there's no question that that's how the bitcoin protocol was designed to function.

Honestly, we just need more options to choose from asides from decreasing the block reward. Otherwise, I'd say let things continue as they are, DGC will slowly gain momentum provided the community still cares for it and the dev team is committed to its success. From my intuition in being part of the community and DGC's history so far, I have no doubt about that. The only suckers here are the ones selling it to make a quick buck. Provided we continue to work together such dayminers will soon be sorry they didn't look into DGC beyond its current selling price.

All it takes for a coin to succeed is its adoption. Look at tenebrix and litecoin, and how litecoin went from pennies to dollars in the course of a few weeks. I believe digitalcoin can make a similar impact, provided it holds the momentum it is continuing to gain.

Baritus, in terms of changing the code, it seems the worst that happens to digitalcoin is when the price spikes, and as of now it seems like things will be calm for a while. A 51% attack is still something to worry about and I doubt minor changes like difficulty or block reward will hamper that, but I trust something can be done to keep DGC alive. I appreciate your being mature and only talking about what you have certainty in, because the 90% of us that aren't programmers barely have any ideas ourselves. Thanks for taking care of us.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 06:32:03 PM

When i feel i have a large enough stake of DGC - and if they don't screw around with the structure of it , I'm going to help .

If it goes full retard (kind of how Caps is going) , then I'll dump all I have .

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
cosmoo

Activity: 729
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 10:54:04 PM

MaGNeT posted a thread on this very subject: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=263827.20

There are a couple good ideas in there, like making newly minted coins take forever to confirm. Maybe set up a random confirmation time for each block that could take anywhere from 2-5 days until the miner can spend their coins?
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 06:43:37 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2013, 11:32:46 PM by disclaimer201

Vote for your favorite altcoin!

www.bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=264016.0
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 09:18:50 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2013, 10:34:38 PM by erk

I'm just gauging community opinion with the poll, you can be assured no decisions are ever made in this community without input from all members. I definitely see both sides of the argument and I am currently siding with keeping it as is or a slight decrease (10-20%).

Nevertheless, polls are one of the few ways of gathering information so don't be surprised to see them coming up. It doesn't mean anything but an opinion gauge.

The coin creation rate should be relative to the coin requirement rate, supply vs demand. To maintain a desired balance you need to alter one or the other, I vote for increasing demand.  If you want a coin that has low supply, focus on ARG.

The main shortfall I see with DGC demand, is a merchant gateway where people can add Bitpay style DGC payments as an option to their shopping carts. eg. Prestashop, Magnet, WHMCS etc.  I believe that should be the main focus of development, solve that and the over supply problem will vanish.

smscotten

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2013, 10:18:10 PM

The coin creation rate is relative to the coin requirement rate, supply vs demand. To maintain a desired balance you need to alter one or the other, I vote for increasing demand.  If you want a coin that has low supply, focus on ARG.

The coin value is relative to demand, which is why I agree that demand ought to be increased with things like the payment gateway you mentioned. But I think that it is undesirable for the coin supply to be a function of demand. That smacks of Fed-style currency manipulation.

jbmiller10

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 11:15:48 PM

The coin creation rate should be relative to the coin requirement rate, supply vs demand. To maintain a desired balance you need to alter one or the other, I vote for increasing demand.  If you want a coin that has low supply, focus on ARG.

The main shortfall I see with DGC demand, is a merchant gateway where people can add Bitpay style DGC payments as an option to their shopping carts. eg. Prestashop, Magnet, WHMCS etc.  I believe that should be the main focus of development, solve that and the over supply problem will vanish.

Baritus mentioned in the DGC fundraiser thread that he plans to integrate a payment processor into the DGC/ARG bank/exchange.

In regard to the dgc block reward reduction issue: I initially supported a reduction of the DGC block reward. In an ideal world, I still wish that DGC had a slightly smaller block reward---say 15 DGC. However, in light of the points raised by disclaimer, cosmo, et. all, my view on the issue has changed. I think one of the strongest points that DGC has going for it was the fairness of its launch and the lack of benefits to be had by ultra-early-adopters. Indeed, this is one of the major reasons that I initially choose to support digitalcoin (of course, far from the only reason Smiley ) To change the block reward would largely undo this, at least perceptually. Digitalcoin set the standard for fair coin launches, and I feel that the negatives of changing the block reward far outweigh the benefits.

I go by threestar most places.
Join us in the Digitalcoin Chatroom!
Pages: « 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 [180] 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 293 »
  Print  

Jump to: