Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:05:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN]Spectrecoin[XSPEC] TOR+OBFS4, Ring Sig, Stealth!  (Read 94820 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
djpitagora

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:01:16 PM

Agreed. I was curious about the business side of things ie marketing, adoption, etc, could a senior team member perhaps elaborate on the roadmap there?  Not much info on that on the website.

You mean the roadmap regarding marketing and adoption? That's because there is really no roadmap on these things. We don't have anyone who would "lead" this stuff. Jbg and Bryce are focusing on their core competence, which is development. Marketing and adoption are within the responsibility of the community, which is us!

You have to understand that SpectreCoin is not a company, like some other ICOs nowadays, that is targeting maximum profit and where you are buying "shares" when purchasing coins. That's not how this works. This is a community-driven project - the devs are paid by donations for their work. Of course they are morally attached to the project as well, but it's not really their job to make this a profitable business.

I don't think that this is inherently a bad thing... not all users want to be capitalized on by deciding to use a certain currency. We are developing a private payment method that is open for everyone to use. That's the purpose of this project - if you want to make the price go up or increase adoption, then maybe you should start some marketing on your own! We also have a Discord that is dedicated to exactly this purpose - consisting 100% of community members! You can join that group and try to develop a marketing and adoption strategy. You can find the invite link on the wiki page here: https://altcoinwiki.org/en/SpectreCoin#Project_links

I only partialy agree with the bolded statement. Why? I can't approach a website to use XSPEC as payment provider without having sdks, documentation and ready made plugins to easily integrate in their software. Nobody is going to invest a lot in development for a "maybe". A little investment to integrate something ready-made yes. After we have these we can talk to merchants.
pvk444

Merit: 47

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:15:51 PM

Agreed. I was curious about the business side of things ie marketing, adoption, etc, could a senior team member perhaps elaborate on the roadmap there?  Not much info on that on the website.

You mean the roadmap regarding marketing and adoption? That's because there is really no roadmap on these things. We don't have anyone who would "lead" this stuff. Jbg and Bryce are focusing on their core competence, which is development. Marketing and adoption are within the responsibility of the community, which is us!

You have to understand that SpectreCoin is not a company, like some other ICOs nowadays, that is targeting maximum profit and where you are buying "shares" when purchasing coins. That's not how this works. This is a community-driven project - the devs are paid by donations for their work. Of course they are morally attached to the project as well, but it's not really their job to make this a profitable business.

I don't think that this is inherently a bad thing... not all users want to be capitalized on by deciding to use a certain currency. We are developing a private payment method that is open for everyone to use. That's the purpose of this project - if you want to make the price go up or increase adoption, then maybe you should start some marketing on your own! We also have a Discord that is dedicated to exactly this purpose - consisting 100% of community members! You can join that group and try to develop a marketing and adoption strategy. You can find the invite link on the wiki page here: https://altcoinwiki.org/en/SpectreCoin#Project_links

i can only partially agree on this one.... as i mentioned before, the purpose of creating a coin can never be for the purpose of creation only :/ sounds really silly, don't you think ?
If true (this is just someones hobby and therefore) it should be removed from all exchanges so the creators can continue creating untill they get bored and trade the coins between their friends in the pub and keep it there... so why donating the devs ? to pay them a salary for their hobby ? don't they get coins for free ? are no coins reserved for them ? or are the investors just here to pay (donating) for their hobby ?

Opening an ANN page on bitcointalk, providing updates, applying for new exchanges, and still only for the purpose of creation ? (a.k.a a hobby ?)
When you start something, there are many more tasks to be fullfilled, and one needs a strong figure to lead the process, which means not only focussing on the fun and known tasks, but also working on things that needs to be done.. advising investors to go in and do their own marketing is like asking a stranger to walk your dog.

Whereas I don't agree with Gandalf86 on some of the things (in particular: even if monetary rewards would not be the primary driver, at least adoption needs to be. Otherwise this will just become an intellectual excersize) I also believe your comparisons are misleading.

Instead, a better comparison would be : if for instance Monero is Windows, then XSPEC is Linux.

And this also means, that aside from the development  (which includes enabling an ecosystem for XSPEC, e.g. sdk as suggested), all other efforts need to emerge from the community itself in a decentralized fashion. I don't mind this approach at all, except that the "central team" would need to focus more on ensuring that such efforts remain aligned with the development, and be available to provide guidance rather than to steer (or block) community efforts.
Gandalf86

Activity: 1330
Merit: 515

Coin Mage

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 08:19:34 PM

i can only partially agree on this one.... as i mentioned before, the purpose of creating a coin can never be for the purpose of creation only :/ sounds really silly, don't you think ?
If true (this is just someones hobby and therefore) it should be removed from all exchanges so the creators can continue creating untill they get bored and trade the coins between their friends in the pub and keep it there... so why donating the devs ? to pay them a salary for their hobby ? don't they get coins for free ? are no coins reserved for them ? or are the investors just here to pay (donating) for their hobby ?

Opening an ANN page on bitcointalk, providing updates, applying for new exchanges, and still only for the purpose of creation ? (a.k.a a hobby ?)
When you start something, there are many more tasks to be fullfilled, and one needs a strong figure to lead the process, which means not only focussing on the fun and known tasks, but also working on things that needs to be done.. advising investors to go in and do their own marketing is like asking a stranger to walk your dog.

Then why do you think Satoshi created Bitcoin? Just for fun? Did he do any marketing? Did he contact BTC/USD exchanges? None of that, it was not his job. He created a ground-breaking technology that was open for everyone to use. If it is useful, then it will be used - simple as that. The community is what drives adoption. We are the community. So what?  Smiley Let's start doing it!

I only partialy agree with the bolded statement. Why? I can't approach a website to use XSPEC as payment provider without having sdks, documentation and ready made plugins to easily integrate in their software. Nobody is going to invest a lot in development for a "maybe". A little investment to integrate something ready-made yes. After we have these we can talk to merchants.

I surely agree on the technical side here. But I'm not sure if Jbg should focus on these things right now, rather than finishing wallet version 1.4 or implementing stealth staking, for example. These things are much more important. I'm sure he will be willing to help anyone who is trying to build a website plugin for it. Actually, the RPC interface is not much different from Bitcoin, so it should not be that much of a difficulty for someone who is writing web plugins. After all, as I said, it's an open project - the Github is public, you can make pull requests etc.. If there is some web developer in the community who wants to make a plugin for SpectreCoin, he should just join Discord, try doing it and ask for help if necessary.

Discord: Gandalf86#5805 (#341695925166538796) // Maintainer of Titcoin // Work smarter, not harder!
snowboard

Activity: 158
Merit: 20

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:11:14 PM

Thanks for reply! we can have different opinions on how to execute things thats all fine and oke. Speaking about the community.

We are the community, and not the end users (we are investors!) i think the most concern is adoption of the project without marketing. we are a community into trading/developing/buying/selling/ etc.. end goal in my vieuw => adoption  <= how to get there = almost as important as the product itself
nemwanderer

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 09:12:25 PM

Thanks for reply! we can have different opinions on how to execute things thats all fine and oke. Speaking about the community.

We are the community, and not the end users (we are investors!) i think the most concern is adoption of the project without marketing. we are a community into trading/developing/buying/selling/ etc.. end goal in my vieuw => adoption  <= how to get there = almost as important as the product itself

My thoughts exactly. Let the devs do their thing and we investors will reward them.

But we need to do our part on the marketing side. Who wants to take the lead here? I lack the experience.
sdg777

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 06:16:18 AM

@Snowboard@  absolutely exactly said, I think 90% of investors fully agree with this opinion
sdg777

Activity: 85
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 06:38:32 AM

https://bithexchange.com/exchange  can here try to add?
djpitagora

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:10:51 AM

Then why do you think Satoshi created Bitcoin? Just for fun? Did he do any marketing? Did he contact BTC/USD exchanges? None of that, it was not his job. He created a ground-breaking technology that was open for everyone to use. If it is useful, then it will be used - simple as that. The community is what drives adoption. We are the community. So what?  Smiley Let's start doing it!

in an ideal world yes. The current world however is very different then the one where Satoshi developed bitcoin. First of all he had no competition and the initial bitcoin users were either developers or very tech savy people. It took him 7 years to get recognition from the general population.

Today we are in a world of get rich craze where everybody starting with the shoeshine boys are investing in crypto. These people don't understand much and have 1000 coins to chose from and they will chose those whose marketing screams louder. There is a very real risk of falling into obscurity even with the best tech. XSPEC might die and another coin may simply take over the code base and re-use the excellent ideas of this team.
Testing Crypto

Activity: 614
Merit: 506

Applications

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 08:41:57 AM

in an ideal world yes. The current world however is very different then the one where Satoshi developed bitcoin. First of all he had no competition and the initial bitcoin users were either developers or very tech savy people. It took him 7 years to get recognition from the general population.

Today we are in a world of get rich craze where everybody starting with the shoeshine boys are investing in crypto. These people don't understand much and have 1000 coins to chose from and they will chose those whose marketing screams louder. There is a very real risk of falling into obscurity even with the best tech. XSPEC might die and another coin may simply take over the code base and re-use the excellent ideas of this team.

Tongue
 //:cBTC

ZwNpPhVYrSrPMS71GLc7TEnbqA9VSZopGn // Gift5YapqsZqSTW8T4S3sCU4sngCkvh4ba // 3Gwc4KzVtuJ9ADnuqzF7XRhSaaE7HkBWpr // 1PAGEHrN62tgUHncGWbbhKe9jhZGXsxFC4
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi {SAT OS hi}
heratys111

Activity: 164
Merit: 71

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 09:06:12 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2018, 06:50:35 AM by heratys111
Merited by dgmon (1)

A couple quibbles...

I am staking, however I find all this "hodling" and staking attitude really selfish. I'd like to keep my eyes on the prize. The prize being real market usage. A coin is not meant to be hold but to be spent. As a derivate trader would say, "the price is backed by the cash flow".

You may characterize accumulating a position and staking it as "selfish" -- with an implied normative judgment (I prefer to frame things using the "enlightened self-interest" model myself [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightened_self-interest]).  Something to consider too is that hoarding (or maintaining a reserve) also reduces the supply and increases the buying power for those looking to spend it.

However, consider that it's an individual's right to hold or spend as he or she chooses (as with any other form of private property that extends beyond simple habeas corpus [traditions justified and articulated at least as far back as John Locke -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_property#History -- with fundamental property-rights also evident in earlier legal codes such as the Code of Hammurabi, Roman Law, and Old Norse legal proceedings http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/text/laws.htm ]).

Your "prize" doesn't necessarily need to enter into the picture for everyone... the classical definitions of money include the three aspects of: store of value, unit of account, and means of exchange.  People are or should be free to keep some portion of XSPEC with the first mode even if the second and third is most meaningful to you (the second view in that list deals with the pricing mechanism between the monetary base [XSPEC or any other] and any other thing that can be voluntarily exchanged).

Also you misstated/oversimplified things in your derivatives example; something is a derivative based on an underlying object (you are actually referring to a second-order derivative [a derivative of a derivative]).  A stock option or a warrant, for instance, is based on the underlying stock price (although the option's price is usually determined from the more complicated Black-Scholes Equation).  The stock price itself is said to in the long run parallel the cash-flow of the underlying business (but take, for instance, Tesla's chart [or say a call-option on that stock]. Both the stock chart and a call-option on it during upswings have had phenomenal runs in recent years although there is no free cash flow from that business -- see the bottom line of the chart here: http://financials.morningstar.com/cash-flow/cf.html?t=TSLA&region=usa&culture=en-US ). Amazon would have been a similar example for many years, as would many of the Nasdaq tech-stocks in the late 90s, or many biotech stocks a few years ago.   Price, in fact, is the aggregate of all the individual estimations of value of the given thing (sometimes based on cash flow -- if it's a business being referred to -- but, even then, not always).  Moreover, the distortion of prices through the fiat/credit system misprices things significantly in both the boom and the bust that this system induces.  (The theory is described more fully in the writings of economists such as Ludwig von Mises, Jesus Huerta de Soto, and Claude Frederic Bastiat.)

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
Fast and cheap ^_^ ▐  Aggressive, non-hyperinflationary 12% PoS ("Strength in Basking") ▐  4.4 million current supply ▐  SHA-256 PoW -- Making old ASICs great again
Geekxplore

Activity: 56
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 10:57:44 AM

What is Spectercoin Coin?
Spectrecoin Coin is a cryptocurrency which deals with private financial transactions and private communication
Read More https://www.geekxplore.com/what-is-spectercoin-coin.html
djpitagora

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 11:26:35 AM

A couple quibbles...

I am staking, however I find all this "hodling" and staking attitude really selfish. I'd like to keep my eyes on the prize. The prize being real market usage. A coin is not meant to be hold but to be spent. As a derivate trader would say, "the price is backed by the cash flow".

You may characterize accumulating a position and staking it as "selfish" -- with an implied normative judgment (I prefer to frame things using the "enlightened self-interest" model myself [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlightened_self-interest]).  Something to consider too is that hoarding (or maintaining a reserve) also reduces the supply and increases the buying power for those looking to spend it.

However, consider that it's an individual's right to hold or spend as he or she chooses (as with any other form of private property that extends beyond simple habeas corpus [traditions justified and articulated at least as far back as John Locke -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_property#History -- with fundamental property-rights also evident in earlier legal codes such as the Code of Hammurabi, Roman Law, and Old Norse legal proceedings http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/text/laws.htm ]).

Your "prize" doesn't necessarily need to enter into the picture for everyone... the classical definitions of money include the three aspects of: store of value, unit of account, and means of exchange.  People are or should be free to keep some portion of XSPEC with the first mode even if the second and third is most meaningful to you (the second view in that list deals with the pricing mechanism between the monetary base [XSPEC or any other] and any other thing that can be voluntarily exchanged).

Also you misstated/oversimplified things in your derivatives example; something is a derivative based on an underlying object (you are actually referring to a second-order derivative [a derivative of a derivative]).  A stock option or a warrant, for instance, is based on the underlying stock price (although the option's price is usually determined from the more complicated Black-Scholes Equation).  The stock price itself is said to in the long run parallel the cash-flow of the underlying business (but take, for instance, Tesla's chart [or say a call-option on that stock]. Both the stock chart and a call-option on it during upswings have had phenomenal runs in recent years although there is no free cash flow from that business -- see the bottom line of the chart here: http://financials.morningstar.com/cash-flow/cf.html?t=TSLA&region=usa&culture=en-US ). Amazon would have been a similar example for many years, as would many of the Nasdaq tech-stocks in the late 90s, or many biotech stocks a few years ago.   Price, in fact, is the aggregate of all the individual estimations of value of the given thing (sometimes based on cash flow -- if it's a business being referred to -- but, even then, not always).  Moreover, the distortion of prices through the fiat/credit system misprices things significantly in both the boom and the bust that this system induces.  (The theory is described more fully in the writings of economists such as Ludwig von Mises, Jesus Huerta de Soto, and Friedrich Bastiat.)

true, there are some good points here. I'd give some merit+ if I had any to give. I don't understand how that crappy system works.
snowboard

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:22:50 AM

staking for 2/3 days now (online almost 12 hours a day) but it keeps saying " time to reward 2 days".. is this the normal time ?

Im not in a hurry whatsoever, just asking  Cheesy
Gandalf86

Coin Mage

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 11:51:39 AM

staking for 2/3 days now (online almost 12 hours a day) but it keeps saying " time to reward 2 days".. is this the normal time ?

Im not in a hurry whatsoever, just asking  Cheesy

https://github.com/bitcoinx2/crypto-intro-guide/wiki/Proof-of-Stake#why-does-the-expected-time-to-reward-keep-changing

If it stays the same then everything is normal as well.

Discord: Gandalf86#5805 (#341695925166538796) // Maintainer of Titcoin // Work smarter, not harder!
snowboard

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:41:24 PM

Thanks Gandalf86,

i seems that you are quite activ on answering questions etc. much appreciated!

Maybe an possibility for the spectreteam (maybe you already part i dont know)  and the community to donate/provide you a budget for marketing ?
Reaching influencers to review xspec ?  (im not talking about paying for an paid ad. If more influencers are willing to analyse this project they will come to their own conclusion and promote it the way it deserves ...... just an idea..
Gandalf86

Coin Mage

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 12:51:39 PM

Thanks Gandalf86,

i seems that you are quite activ on answering questions etc. much appreciated!

Maybe an possibility for the spectreteam (maybe you already part i dont know)  and the community to donate/provide you a budget for marketing ?
Reaching influencers to review xspec ?  (im not talking about paying for an paid ad. If more influencers are willing to analyse this project they will come to their own conclusion and promote it the way it deserves ...... just an idea..

Thanks for the suggestion! Smiley  A marketing budget is definitely planned for the case that staking donations increase (they are still relatively low, yet). There is really not so much of an official team here, everybody who contributes is part of the family! Wink I am also a community member and do these things for free, when I have the time for it. Everybody who learns about Spectrecoin can do this and help improving the outreach.

snowboard

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:06:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! Smiley  A marketing budget is definitely planned for the case that staking donations increase (they are still relatively low, yet). There is really not so much of an official team here, everybody who contributes is part of the family! Wink I am also a community member and do these things for free, when I have the time for it. Everybody who learns about Spectrecoin can do this and help improving the outreach.

In my opinion no one does it for "free" theres always an reward behind everyones actions, if it isnt for money then it's for appreciation (from community/the team/family/etc..) or your own satisfaction

So! where's my 1 merit  Cheesy Cheesy Wink
Beachguy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1001

Spectreproject Community Manager

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 02:07:42 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2018, 11:37:29 AM by Beachguy

Slack Community Members, Please note that the Slack community will be winding down this month.
Official shutdown of Slack channels will be February 28.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Beachguy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1019
Merit: 1001

Spectreproject Community Manager

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2018, 02:21:56 PM

@snowboard - Only the devs are "paid" as such, now being funded by the user controlled donations via the latest wallet update.
Gandalf86, Rkh and many others including myself...donate our talents and time to grow the community and hopefully move SpectreCoin [xspec] along to take its rightful place as the "Premier Privacy Focused Cryptocurrency".
We appreciate you being a member of the SpectreCoin community.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Gandalf86

Coin Mage

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 06:32:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! Smiley  A marketing budget is definitely planned for the case that staking donations increase (they are still relatively low, yet). There is really not so much of an official team here, everybody who contributes is part of the family! Wink I am also a community member and do these things for free, when I have the time for it. Everybody who learns about Spectrecoin can do this and help improving the outreach.

In my opinion no one does it for "free" theres always an reward behind everyones actions, if it isnt for money then it's for appreciation (from community/the team/family/etc..) or your own satisfaction

So! where's my 1 merit  Cheesy Cheesy Wink

Hehe, that's not how it works. Wink Unfortunately your opinion is not an objective truth...  Tongue

Pages: « 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 »
  Print  

Jump to: