Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:44:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All my tokens in MEW stolen!  (Read 4518 times)
R.Hasan (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:16:47 AM

I just logged into MEW and when check my balance everything except 45 tokens everything else has gone! My wallet was hacked, but where have all my tokens gone?

I am devastated. Has anyone else been hacked how is this possible?

I am not sure what to do! please advice folks.

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zorbak

Activity: 167
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:36:26 AM

Where your tokens have been gone?

You must see tx in your account

The only possible way is that someone stole your private keys.

Now you can not do anything, just create a new account as your actual account it's not safe anymore
Atikali

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 09:28:34 AM

If others steal your private key, there is not much you can do, unfortunately.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1220

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 09:46:13 AM

I just logged into MEW and when check my balance everything except 45 tokens everything else has gone! My wallet was hacked, but where have all my tokens gone?
Are you sure that your MEW wallet was hacked? You should check the last few transactions and see where the ethereum has landed. That wil likely be an exchange or mixer service (if the hacker is smart) - in that case contact the exchange but if its a mixer then I dont think they can help you.

The most probable hack of MEW wallets is by phishing. Always check the URL of the site when you are logging into MEW. Often phishing links are set p by Slack, Telegram bots in order to scam people during rush hours of popular token sales. If you unknowingly send the phishing site your private keys then all your coins will be spent by them.

Bookmark the actual MEW site, apply Metamask extension if you use Chrome or use a hardware wallet like Ledger Nano.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
yugyug

Activity: 616
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 10:11:11 AM

the probable cause of this case was your private was shared thru phishing site , there are other hackers or social engineers that will sent you emails pretending they are from support team of myetherwallet and saying they are upgrading their system for upcoming fork ,something like that, then they will ask you put your backup files, the passwords and the private/public key then a moment later your account was hack. so the bootm line, it is us the user who vulnerable to security breach but not the etherwallet itself, if the private key was shared then there are no reason that your wallet is secured.
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1129

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 12:29:41 PM

You can actually check on where those coins of your did go or being transacted. You would able to find the hackers address but knowing on the identity of the owner then its not possible.This kind of situation is common among those people who don't really make safety precautions or tight security on their own private keys.You definitely disclose your private keys into the public which someone did able to know and see that and decide to hack your wallet.Sad to say that those coins are gone because transaction aren't reversible.This would really be a lesson learned for you.

cryptorony

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 12:35:21 PM

Sorry for you loss and feeling your pain.
Yes hacking wallet is verymuch possible .
I think your computer have some spyware or some kind of keylogger .
Also there comes a possibly of remote session .
Then hacker just took your private keys and wash out your tokens.
Please
1.Format your laptop.
2.use a very good antivirus like avast.
3.use a very defensive firewall.

I also lost 3000usd few times ago so yeah this is not the end of the world keep trying be safe next time.
R.Hasan (OP)

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:11:14 PM

Thank you folks so much for your thoughts. Great valuable advices you have blessed me with. Your kind response has been so helpful and has helped me to feel reassured about how to be a supportive friends.
Morguk

Activity: 594
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:13:27 PM

How did you log in to MEW? That's the only thing that sucks about it, more security risk than having a local wallet software.

Calculate the chance of hitting a bitcoin block when solo mining at
Stavri

Activity: 980
Merit: 275

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:15:54 PM

It is very possible if your computer is infected by some trojan or virus. You should be careful and use a clean computer if you access any wallet or store any priv code on the computer. Sorry for your loss but there is nothing you can do to take your tokens back.
Je.hitler

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:18:34 PM

why do you not use a virtual machine for this kind of stuffs, with a good antivirus + firewall and a virtual machine is pretty hard for someone to hack you and just to be sure use strong passwords and type them with a virtual keyboard.

Cheers,
Yadamosan

Activity: 193

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:21:44 PM

I'm was wondering how that could be possible to happen if you secure your private key properly, sorry to say but like what others said if the private key
was been hacked then its easy for the hacker to transfer your funds, sorry for that loss mate and hope many will learn from this and let their private key
be place in a secure location.
dangdangdang

Activity: 224

THE WORLD'S FIRST FIXED MONTHLY ALLOWANCE PLAN

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 05:22:49 PM

You can do nothing if someone had stolen your keys even you checked the transaction details you can't figure out who because there's no registration upon creating mew wallet. Just start by your own and make sure your keys will be secured.

Welckomtome

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:27:57 PM

Hello! If your money is gone by an ordinary shipment from your wallet, you can not change anything anymore ... did you show your private key somewhere? If someone knows it except you, then it will not be difficult to withdraw money.
unfortunately help here does not work Sad
vfrcbv911

Activity: 238
Merit: 144

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:38:41 PM

everything except 45 tokens everything else has gone!

If you are robbed, the thieves would even steal tokens. I think you have just technical problems and your coins fine. Try to write in support of MEW.

tawfiquecse

Activity: 156

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:31:57 PM

Mew account probably can hacked by airdrops or you had input mistakenly your private key instead public key..This is a common problem..We dont want to miss any airdrops, Thats why we always fill up the form very fast.. If you mistakenly send your private keys then all your coins will be spent by them.

Now you can't do anything, Create a new account as your actual account .This account is not safe anymore..Because they know your all mew acc information.
Aljerome31

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 08:42:20 PM

I am so sorry for the lost..
They hacked your dreams

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DAOX: Create & Manage Fundraising DAOs / Bounty & Airdrop / ANN THREAD / TELEGRAM
chaoscoinz

Activity: 1151
Merit: 260

☆Gaget-Pack☆

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:45:50 PM

Are you sure that the coins are gone?
  Did you know that the nodes that display token balances are few in number due to the influx of new erc20 coins being created. Be sure to check ethplorer using your ethereum address,  because you may still have your tokens. Myetherwallet doesn't show the balance of your wallet all of the time, like I said before, due to a limited number of available nodes on the network.
     Is your original etheum still in your wallet, because tokens can't be moved without gas?

Saifher

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:46:36 PM

I'm sorry for your losses buddy. Check the transactions in the wallet to see where the coins have gone, and maybe you'll be able to trace them so atleast you can warn other people about this scam/hack attempt (and not fall for it again).

What do you think was the reason you got hacked?

ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:58:43 PM

Especially Myetherwallet is riddled with fake websites, phishing attacks and whatnot. For some days, I got like five spam mails a day, asking me to log in, claim something, all this stuff.

Now, the next part may sound a little harsh and I apologize in advance:

This is crypto, this is the Wild West of the Internet. If you can't protect your belongings, you WILL be robbed. Assume that this can happen again and act accordingly. For one, assume that the devices you used to access your wallets are compromised, until proven otherwise. Do NOT use them to set up wallets until you can be sure they are clean.

If you want to continue investing in cryptocurrencies, you NEED to learn how to protect your digital goods. This is an extensive topic and I don't really know good and beginner-friendly explanations and how-tos.

This may be a good starting point:

https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@notsofast/4-ways-to-secure-your-bags-bitcoin-altcoins-cryptoasset-tokens-whatever-a-notsofast-security-primer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: