Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:04:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 200 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 #  (Read 458137 times)
stevang

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 01:55:23 PM

I don't understand what you 're saying Luke-Jr? I just don't know what your Roll?? Time or how you call it means. I am just using a mining software and dont know every single code line of it or which exact header it sends.

Can i still use Phoenix with Eligius now? is there a list of accepted mining software?

I am officially confused.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 02:53:13 PM

Can i still use Phoenix with Eligius now? is there a list of accepted mining software?
You can still use all miners with Eligius. This change should only affect those that have broken implementations of the rollntime extension. Phoenix doesn't support this at all. Since it is a helpful feature, I would recommend switching to poclbm if you can get the same hashrate out of it (it's usually better once you find the right settings).

DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 02:59:23 PM

You can still use all miners with Eligius. This change should only affect those that have broken implementations of the rollntime extension. Phoenix doesn't support this at all. Since it is a helpful feature, I would recommend switching to poclbm if you can get the same hashrate out of it (it's usually better once you find the right settings).

Except poclbm is generally slower than DiabloMiner.

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:10:00 PM

So if we use phoenix, we are missing out on a useful feature, but there won't be any hit to mining efficiency, is that correct? I'll try to figure this out on my own, but if anyone can summarize the utility of this useful feature, that would be most appreciated. I checked the wiki, but there was just enough technical jargon to make me fall shy of understanding.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:30:10 PM

So if we use phoenix, we are missing out on a useful feature, but there won't be any hit to mining efficiency, is that correct?
rollntime improves efficiency drastically (ie, like 0.8 accept/getwork to over 5 accept/getwork for me). Phoenix doesn't support it, no matter what a pool does.

twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:35:52 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2011, 09:39:09 PM by twmz

So if we use phoenix, we are missing out on a useful feature, but there won't be any hit to mining efficiency, is that correct? I'll try to figure this out on my own, but if anyone can summarize the utility of this useful feature, that would be most appreciated. I checked the wiki, but there was just enough technical jargon to make me fall shy of understanding.

Correct.  Things won't be an worse for you than they have been in the past.  

Besides increasing efficiency (which really only matters directly to pool operators or to those with super tight bandwidth or high bandwidth costs), ntime rolling helps protect miners from communication delays on the pool they are using.

Miners incrementing the timestamp (aka ntime rolling) are not as dependent on the pool being able to respond promptly to requests for new work units every 10-20 seconds.  If a pool is stressed due to load or if there are network problems, a non-ntime-rolling miner will become idle occasionally (you may have seen warning messages about this from time to time).  In contrast, with the same load or network problems, an ntime-rolling miner will just happily increment the timestamp and keep looking for additional shares.  

So if you mine at a pool that routinely is overloaded or has network problems, you'll find more shares per hour (on average) with an ntime rolling miner which will translate into you getting paid more.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:44:45 PM

Thanks Luke-Jr. I'll probably stick with phoenix for now since I don't tend to get many idle miner warnings.
stevang

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 04:57:09 PM

Correct.  Things won't be an worse for you than they have been in the past.  

Besides increasing efficiency (which really only matters directly to pool operators or to those with super tight bandwidth or high bandwidth costs), ntime rolling helps protect miners from communication delays on the pool they are using.

Miners incrementing the timestamp (aka ntime rolling) are not as dependent on the pool being able to respond promptly to requests for new work units every 10-20 seconds.  If a pool is stressed due to load or if there are network problems, a non-ntime-rolling miner will become idle occasionally (you may have seen warning messages about this from time to time).  In contrast, with the same load or network problems, an ntime-rolling miner will just happily increment the timestamp and keep looking for additional shares.  

So if you mine at a pool that routinely is overloaded or has network problems, you'll find more shares per hour with an ntime rolling miner which will translate into you getting paid more.

That i do understand Smiley Thanks for explaining.

well, as i always got the best results from Phoenix yet, i stick with it. i tried almost every other mining software around. at least the one that does not need compiling software on linux. Is there a list with best parameters/ options related to the GPU Model for Diablo or poclbm?
anodyne

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 05:21:12 PM

Right now I'm seeing over 380 shares sent in the last hour on the ~410MH poclbm miner on my desktop machine. I haven't seen anything near that efficiency with any other client/pool combination.

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2011, 08:04:52 PM

Right now I'm seeing over 380 shares sent in the last hour on the ~410MH poclbm miner on my desktop machine. I haven't seen anything near that efficiency with any other client/pool combination.

Shares generated is an essentially random value. According to statistics, you should get about 344 shares in an hour at 410 mhash.

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 06:04:27 PM

Artefact2 has requested new indexes on the webserver SQL for his new graphs v3.0, so web-side SQL is down while it makes the indexes. This mainly means hashrates are showing 0.

I have also just deployed step 2 of my anti-stale improvements. Please report if you get any "invalid-time" rejected shares, or if your miner shows "idle" (especially around longpolls). Older versions of DiabloMiner have a bug, and are currently being exempted from the new behaviour (which makes it less effective for everyone), so if you use DM please upgrade to the latest version.

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 11:24:30 PM

New poll for theoretical (unplanned) reward system change

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 03:26:42 PM

Please document any feature requests and required core (ie, not web-specific) features, including features we already have at: http://eligius.st/wiki/index.php/Internal_requirements

If you wish to get involved with the software development side of the rewrite, contact me privately on IRC.

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 11:07:17 PM

The forum messed up the last poll, so please re-vote here!

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 04:17:19 PM

In the previous Eligius thread (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6667.0), linked in the bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools), there is a struck out comment about a transaction fee of "0.00004096 BTC per 512 bytes", but this is still in the wiki.

At the same time, I also read from some other threads that Luke has a transaction-free node to accept transaction and there is this https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Free_transaction_relay_policy which lists eligius as the only transaction-fee free pool.

Since there is some conflicting information, can Luke please confirm if that eligius will accept zero fee custom transaction even for small amounts like 0.0001 BTC?
anodyne

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:12:37 PM

I'm pretty sure the "free" in the policy should be read as "not restricted to standard rules", rather than "free from transaction fees".

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:30:39 PM

In the previous Eligius thread (http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6667.0), linked in the bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools), there is a struck out comment about a transaction fee of "0.00004096 BTC per 512 bytes", but this is still in the wiki.

At the same time, I also read from some other threads that Luke has a transaction-free node to accept transaction and there is this https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Free_transaction_relay_policy which lists eligius as the only transaction-fee free pool.

Since there is some conflicting information, can Luke please confirm if that eligius will accept zero fee custom transaction even for small amounts like 0.0001 BTC?
"Free transaction relay policy" is in reference to the network which relays transactions without prejudice against low/no fee or non-standard transactions. Eligius is clearly listed as having a 0.2 TBC minimum transaction fee, as published elsewhere.

Xephan

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:56:51 PM

"Free transaction relay policy" is in reference to the network which relays transactions without prejudice against low/no fee or non-standard transactions. Eligius is clearly listed as having a 0.2 TBC minimum transaction fee, as published elsewhere.

Ok, so this means the no-fee transactions will get relayed but in order to be processed in a block, there must be a 0.2 Tera Bitcoin transaction fee? That amount is huge so I must be misunderstanding what you mean by "TBC", could you clarify that? Thanks!

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:04:01 PM

Ok, so this means the no-fee transactions will get relayed but in order to be processed in a block, there must be a 0.2 Tera Bitcoin transaction fee? That amount is huge so I must be misunderstanding what you mean by "TBC", could you clarify that? Thanks!
Link: Helpful summary of all Bitcoin units

0.2 TBC is equivalent to 0.00004096 BTC

Xephan

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 07:24:20 PM

Thanks for that link, the one I found earlier didn't have such a long list... although the first thing that came to mind when I saw that was "Bitcoin needs less confusing denominations!"

0.2 TBC is equivalent to 0.00004096 BTC

That's cool, way better than the current 0.005 Smiley

I'll transfer my main miner to eligius just to support this Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 200 »
  Print  

Jump to: