Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:30:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 200 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Eligius: ASIC, no registration, no fee CPPSRB BTC + 105% PPS NMC, 877 #  (Read 458140 times)
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 09:10:24 PM

My BTC client says ".. generated 1.166xxx BTC.. matures in XXX blocks ". What does it mean? My balance is still 0.00
This is an issue with how your client displays it. 1.166xxx BTC was sent, but your client is neglecting to display it until it's confirmed XXX more blocks.

Isnt the usually confirmation of a transaction 7? When i sent/received BTC, its unconfirmed until 6 confirmations. Hope you dont mind me asking..

Moving from another pool, that was how it worked so i'm confused.

Other pools send you coins that have already been generated, these are completely new coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 09:11:02 PM

My BTC client says ".. generated 1.166xxx BTC.. matures in XXX blocks ". What does it mean? My balance is still 0.00
This is an issue with how your client displays it. 1.166xxx BTC was sent, but your client is neglecting to display it until it's confirmed XXX more blocks.

Isnt the usually confirmation of a transaction 7? When i sent/received BTC, its unconfirmed until 6 confirmations. Hope you dont mind me asking..

Old bitcoins have the 6-7 transfer rate.

newly mined coins need 120 confirmations, inorder to rule out an orphaned block (thus void bitcoins)

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 09:17:31 PM

virgin coins Tongue

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 09:21:48 PM

Other pools award the POOL the coins.  They pool then waits 120 confirmations and then send you the coins as a seperate transaction.  You technically don't receive coins from the block. You are paid from the pool and then wait 6 MORE confirmation.

Eligius works differently.  The pool isn't the block reward.  You are paid the block reward directly and thus bitcoin network requires you to wait that 120 confirmations (same as the pool does in most pools).

The simple answer is:
Eligius - you are paid directly from the block generation
Other pools  - block generation -> pool -> you
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 09:50:56 PM

The number of confirmations to make a transaction "confirmed" are an arbitrary point where you decide to trust it as permanent. The current network protocol has an arbitrary "new coins can't be sent until 100 confirmations" bug-by-design for safety. Everything else is entirely client-side and you can modify if you want.

plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 12:59:46 AM

Other pools award the POOL the coins.  They pool then waits 120 confirmations and then send you the coins as a seperate transaction.  You technically don't receive coins from the block. You are paid from the pool and then wait 6 MORE confirmation.

Eligius works differently.  The pool isn't the block reward.  You are paid the block reward directly and thus bitcoin network requires you to wait that 120 confirmations (same as the pool does in most pools).

The simple answer is:
Eligius - you are paid directly from the block generation
Other pools  - block generation -> pool -> you

Thanks for the explanation. I got it now.

As far as NMC mining, we cant see how much we're generating?

Oh one last thing..

Is there a reason why we dont use registration system like other pools? like we will have miners and password...etc?

Is it safe the way we're doing with just address? What are the potential risks?

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 01:08:47 AM

There are not any risks to not using a registration system. If anything it is more secure than a pool that uses a registration system, no one can get your password and get into your account and change your wallet address. It puts the responsibility on you. Whatever wallet address you use as a username that's where the money goes. If you ask me having a registered account is quite unnecessary and the other pools that use systems like that have had to institute additional security precautions like email confirmation and white-listed IP addresses because that system is so insecure.

A perfect example is the several pools that have had their sql databases compromised and the worst part of that being a lot of people use the same password for everything, what a security nightmare, some script kiddie does a mysql injection attack and owns pushpool-x's database, now passwords and email addresses are leaked that probably work all over the place, gmail accounts, forum accounts, mtgox accounts, dwolla accounts it goes on and on.

Pools that have registration are much much more riskier than the system Luke-Jr uses.

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 01:26:42 AM

So anyhow, we may have a problem, depending on everyone mining for namecoins... I've got a 10-day vacation coming up, starting this Wednesday. Realistically, it's not looking like I'm going to be prepared to finish, test, and deploy the rewrite by then. This means the pool will need to continue as-is for 10 days straight with minimal intervention from me, including no namecoin payouts. I still plan to do at least another manual payout of namecoin before I leave. If this is a big problem to namecoin-interested miners, come help me brainstorm for an interim solution on IRC?

The last difficulty's "round" is delayed payout due to not earning enough for full PPS (even combined with the last round's leftover funds). I expect that there will be plenty once non-namecoin miners are removed from the equation, which should happen a week after we started merged mining (so the day I leave). That is when I will plan to payout those funds, plus the mid-difficulty "round" after it.

pennytrader

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 06:19:22 AM

Before the manual payout of NMC, I'd like to know if there's any way I can view how many NMCs I've mined through some stats page...

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
cablepair

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2011, 10:54:11 AM

pennytrader: I dont think so... The way it looks is he does not have enough time to complete recoding the pool to integrate NMC stats/payouts before he goes on vacation.

Luke-JR: Basically you have two options, either (a) give someone you know and trust ssh access to the pool and access to the pools namecoin wallet, and user addresses and the equation you are using to pay out. or (b) [the most likely option] just hope for the best and pay everyone out when you get back and maybe offer some kind of bonus - an incentive for people to have faith and keep mining for nmc for 10 days without payment.

Either way is fine with me, I don't mind waiting 10 days, however the other side of that is 10 days is a long time in the Bitcoin world and most anything could happen. One thing that I worry about as well is that now you have gone public with you plans to be away for 10 days you are almost certain to be the target of an attack (this exact same thing happened to slush if you remember around spring time)

I know the last thing you (or your family) wants to do is be worrying about your pool while on vacation but If you have the means to monitor remotely and also have means to reboot remotely from smart phone etc that would be helpful...

thats my two-cents Smiley

flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:10:49 AM

i don't have any problems in waiting for the end of your vacation either.

just one suggestion: display the registered nmc address on the stats page. it confuses me a little Wink
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 01:40:56 PM

stats/payouts
Also, please recall that I only do the pool core (ie, payouts) and APIs. Updating stats will need someone to step up to take over maintaining (or at least provide a patch for) it. Any volunteers? If someone does a major update and takes over maintenance, they're free to replace the donation address for the stats (currently, it's the address for the original author).

One thing that I worry about as well is that now you have gone public with you plans to be away for 10 days you are almost certain to be the target of an attack (this exact same thing happened to slush if you remember around spring time)
Well, considering the ramifications (potentially delayed NMC payouts), I really had no choice but to announce it. I won't be totally offline, though, so if there's an emergency I can probably get on to get things going again. I would suggest (as usual) having failover setup just in case.

I know the last thing you (or your family) wants to do is be worrying about your pool while on vacation but If you have the means to monitor remotely and also have means to reboot remotely from smart phone etc that would be helpful...
That being said, I don't have any way to automate monitoring it. The only way I will know there is a problem is if miners call or IM me. I can be reached at sip.voip.dashjr.org (SIP) or luke at dashjr / org (Jingle/XMPP/Google Talk) so long as I'm within a T-Mobile service area.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 05:19:13 AM

I can't for the life of me get the NMC registration to work. I am sure I am messing something up.  http://eligius.st/~luke-jr/nmc-register.php

I input both my BTC and NMC addies, loaded up your custom bitcoind, sent the command bitcoind signmessage bitaddy "date: I auth, blah: nmc addy" as copy and poasted formt he site. the command window returns a 'key', I copy and paste it into Bitcoin-Signature. Then it says verification failed, blah...

Stupid me and my winblowz..  I tried it again as I was typing this. Left it here in case anyone else has the same issue.
 Seems the trouble was even though I was stretching my stupid notepad window out it was still word wrapping and chopping off the last few chars of the Sig. I finally noticed on my last try that the = was missing at the end of my paste into the form and checked the entire Sig. Sure enough, missing the last few characters that got wrapped. Even though I had copied them all, the unseen windows line char was chopping it.   Embarrassed

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 01:37:36 PM

make sure you using the wallet with the registered address and make sure your window is wide enough to copy the key from one line.

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
cablepair

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 10:25:21 PM

has anyone else not seen a payout at all today?

My unpaid reward is at almost 5 BTC now...

Luke-Jr: Any thoughts?
twmz

Activity: 737

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 01:09:35 AM

has anyone else not seen a payout at all today?

My unpaid reward is at almost 5 BTC now...

Luke-Jr: Any thoughts?

http://eligius.st/wiki/index.php/FAQ#How_does_the_Payout_Queue_work.3F

http://eligius.st/~twmz/

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
cablepair

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 01:18:27 AM

very cool piece of code you got here, and I already understand how his payment system works. But you must admit it seems like things are not moving as quickly as they usually do....

Ever since I started mining at this pool I would receive at least 1 payout per day, today I have not received any. It looks to me like things are backed up and thats why I asked Luke-Jr the question I did.
twmz

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 01:40:05 AM

very cool piece of code you got here, and I already understand how his payment system works. But you must admit it seems like things are not moving as quickly as they usually do....

Ever since I started mining at this pool I would receive at least 1 payout per day, today I have not received any. It looks to me like things are backed up and thats why I asked Luke-Jr the question I did.

There is no mystery.  Look at the blocks found in the last 36 hours.  The average number of shares per block was approx 2.5 million shares.  The difficulty is a bit less than 1.5 million.  That's 36 hours of blocks taking 60% longer than normal on average.  A long string of bad luck means repeated blocks awarding more than 50 BTC into people's balances.  But because each block can only actually pay 50 BTC, we end up with a growing backlog of due payments (the payout queue).  Yes, there were a couple quick rounds but they were not short enough to make up for the preceding long rounds in terms of backlog.

Add in that the current round has been going for 15 hours, and you can see that actually most people haven't gotten paid today.

Nothing is wrong.  We have just been unlucky in the recent past and the queue won't catch up until we have an equivalent lucky streak.

WoT, GPG

twmz

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 01:50:14 AM

One other tip in reading the queue page.

If you look at the top of the queue, first skip passed all the people who have been waiting a long time.  The people who have been waiting 3+ days all probably just recently finally passed the minimum payment and jumped to the top of the queue because they have been working so long at building their balance.  You eventually notice a few people with balances of 2-3+ BTC that have been waiting for a bit over 2 days.  

That 2 days is basically the frequency of how often people will get paid assuming they have enough hashpower to build their balance passed the minimum quickly.  If you had a 100 GH/s of hashpower and started mining right now, you'd surpass the minimum payment quickly but would not get paid for 2 days.  

That is of course if luck hypothetically is neutral going forward.  If we are lucky, that number drops.  If we continue to be unlucky, that number increases.

So, until we are lucky, don't expect to get paid more often than once every 2 days.  Of course you'll get bigger payments, so it will be a wash.

WoT, GPG

cablepair

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 01:52:00 AM

I understand now. Smiley Thank you. I guess I never took the time to really understand how this thing works, and every day since I started mining I have been getting paid everyday. It seemed odd to me that when we have a really quick round we only get paid a little but when we have a long round we get paid a lot, I guess its the way everything evens out, on every other pool I've ever mined on the exact opposite is true, or its the exactly the same every round no matter the length.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 200 »
  Print  

Jump to: