Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:24:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 252 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just-Dice.com : Invest in 1% House Edge Dice Game  (Read 435290 times)
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:16:18 AM

I wouldn't be investing any BTC with him if getting scammed was my main concern.
This is one of those statements that sounds intuitive (e.g. "follow your dreams"), but doesn't actually prove anything.

I wasn't trying to prove anything.  In fact, I like what friedcat has to say about trustworthiness, in the first question found in this post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1088045#msg1088045

"...trustworthiness can only be disproved."

There is nothing anyone can do to prove they are trustworthy.  Someone can only be proven to be untrustworthy, and that's only after they've scammed someone, not before.

Getting scammed is my main concern, yet I do have BTC invested. Serious injury or death is my main concern when I skydive. I still do it.

What is it about dooglus that causes this concern?  I understand there are others in this forum that have scammed in the past, but what does this have to do with him?  Was he even associated with any of them?

I still think theft is the most probable scenario.
Another possibility: What if dooglus accidentally lights every copy of his offline wallet on fire simultaneously? Are investors protected?
There are ways to protect from this, yes.
That does not answer the question at hand: "are investors protected?"
It also completely dodges the intent of the analogy, destroying any hopes I had for a reasonable conversation.

"I'm worried about alien abduction"
"What happens if our log cabin spontaneously combusts while the whole town is inside, will we be ok?"
"Fire extinguishers exist in some countries."

I'm not qualified to answer these questions, because I don't know all of the specific security measures he has in place.  I'm less concerned about the integrity of dooglus than I am about the malicious intent of a thief or a government bureacrat.  These questions aren't related to that.

I can only speak for myself.  But, the reason I haven't invested more is because of physical security concerns, not because I'm worried about getting scammed by dooglus.
Are you a betting man? I have some odds you might want to look at.

No.  I am an investor though.  Every bitcoin investment requires an element of trust.  I invest in individuals that I consider to be competent and trustworthy and spread the risk accordingly.  If I was worried about everyone being a scammer, I'd just put my BTC in a paper wallet and let them sit.
Are you a hedging man? I have some potentially profitable odds you might want to look at.

I believe having a diversified portfolio is the best way for me to "hedge" my investments and protects me from having something go horribly wrong with one of them.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:54:03 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2013, 05:02:02 AM by RationalSpeculator

I admire you help investors see the vulnerabilities. I think your solution is very well thought out.

What else am I going to do with them, exploit them?  Smiley

And it's not an original solution.  I came across it first here:

I experience that you respond with sarcasm or scepticism to compliments of mine.

I feel unappreciated when reading it. Sad Not saying that is your fault, just letting you know what's going on on my side.  

Always curious what's going on on your side when you read my compliments.

I didn't experience you as arguing about probability theory, but discussing in a friendly, intellectually curious manner, as were all the interactions I have seen from you.

When I say "arguing" I don't mean in the door-slamming plate-throwing way.  I like a good argument.

And if you think I'm always friendly here then you probably didn't see this thread.  That guy got me pissed.

ArcticWolf

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:55:35 AM

I admire you help investors see the vulnerabilities. I think your solution is very well thought out.

What else am I going to do with them, exploit them?  Smiley

And it's not an original solution.  I came across it first here:

This is the second time that you respond with sarcasm or scepticism to a compliment of mine.

I don't feel appreciated.   

What's going on for you when you read my compliments?

I didn't experience you as arguing about probability theory, but discussing in a friendly, intellectually curious manner, as were all the interactions I have seen from you.

When I say "arguing" I don't mean in the door-slamming plate-throwing way.  I like a good argument.

And if you think I'm always friendly here then you probably didn't see this thread.  That guy got me pissed.

I think he meant them as a light hearted joke Smiley

https://www.crypto-trade.com/ref/arcticwolf Try CryptoTrade.com, a new exchange for trading Currencies and Securities
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:58:16 AM

dude.... dude.... a just-dice app would be killer.... you don't even know.

how hard is it to make an app?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:39:00 AM

dude.... dude.... a just-dice app would be killer.... you don't even know.

how hard is it to make an app?
Apple will not approve it.
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:42:29 AM

Dooglus is getting some money from advertising on the website as well. And if initial coding is done than he will have less work on the website and can work on something else while profit will be coming from JD. JD is on track to become very profitable for him, it's better than S.DICE and will attract more players and investors over time. So, there's no point of raising commision at this time.
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 05:01:35 AM

Getting scammed is my main concern, yet I do have BTC invested. Serious injury or death is my main concern when I skydive. I still do it.

What is it about dooglus that causes this concern?  I understand there are others in this forum that have scammed in the past, but what does this have to do with him?  Was he even associated with any of them?

I expect it's nothing about me in particular, and more to do with the whole "trustworthiness can't be proved, only disproved".  How can you be sure this isn't some long-term plan to steal all the bitcoins.  You can't be 100% sure of that I don't think.

I experience that you respond with sarcasm or scepticism to compliments of mine.

It makes me feel unappreciated. Not saying that is your fault, just letting you know what's going on on my side.  

Always curious what's going on on your side when you read my compliments.

Interesting.  I know I've had trouble accepting compliments in the past, and thought I was better at it now.  I guess I still have some work to do on that.

I'm sure I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and am sorry that I did so.  I think I was just making a crappy joke.  I guess I do find it a little difficult to hear positive things about myself.  And I didn't want to take credit for an idea that wasn't mine, so I pointed out where I found it originally.

I'll try to be more careful in future.  I'm pretty bad generally at people skills.  I'm pretty sure I'm autistic to some degree, based on how hard I find it to get on with people "in real life" (and from what people keep telling me, too!)

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 05:50:35 AM

dooglus saying that he hasn't ran with a million dollars is an invalid point. He has control of more than 19+, nobody has tested if he will run away with that point or not. For him to be able to say "I haven't run with 19k!" he has to return all 19k coins.
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:04:04 AM

dooglus saying that he hasn't ran with a million dollars is an invalid point. He has control of more than 19+, nobody has tested if he will run away with that point or not. For him to be able to say "I haven't run with 19k!" he has to return all 19k coins.

Good point.  I might be on my desert island already!

If you guys are going to test whether I give them back or not, could you get together and decide on a day to do it?  I don't want to be in and out of the cold wallet every day...  Thanks.  Smiley

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
rdponticelli

Activity: 325

Our highest capital is the Confidence we build.

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 11:39:09 AM

I don't want to be in and out of the cold wallet every day...  Thanks.  Smiley

You might find some use to my procedure on this. When I go into the cold wallet I prepare and pre-sign some "unfroze" transactions, sending each output sent to the cold wallet back into a handy address. You can print those transactions instead of the private keys, to have a more secure backup, and you can gpg encrypt those transactions and have them lying around in some offline media to be plugged and broadcasted whenever you need them...
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 12:06:26 PM

The interesting thing is that the current investment model encourages investors to spread FUD to get more piece of the pie.  Wink

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Taxidermista
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:28:12 PM

The interesting thing is that the current investment model encourages investors to spread FUD to get more piece of the pie.  Wink

... and in the process shrink the pie.

petrescuerz

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:29:34 PM

Site will be down for about 10 minutes to get the database ready for leader boards. Thanks for your patience!
Deb

dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:09:32 PM

Each time the site profit goes above 1% of total wagered amount, some investors pull out, reducing the max bet on the site.  They're clearly thinking that it's bad to be invested when profits are above expectation, because they'll lose out during the inevitable return to 1%.  So they wait, and reinvest once the site returns to 1%.

This is a clear example of gambler's fallacy, and I've tried explaining it to some of them.  They listen, appear to understand, then repeat the same pattern next time the site goes above 1% profit.

And it's working for them.  The site does return to 1%, and they avoid the losses.

How do I convince them that it's a losing strategy when both their gut and their pocketbook tells them otherwise (so far)?

And do I want to?

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
dooglus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:12:21 PM

Site will be down for about 10 minutes to get the database ready for leader boards. Thanks for your patience!
Deb

petrescuerz is (2) Deb on the site, and speaks the truth.  I ask her to post things for me sometimes.  She also deals with customer support issues and helps out in lots of other ways on the site.

She's like SatoshiDice-PR or whatever that account is called, but actually useful.  Smiley

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:21:21 PM

How do I convince them that it's a losing strategy when both their gut and their pocketbook tells them otherwise (so far)?

And do I want to?
You don't want to.
You can't fight gambler's fallacy.

I mean, you can explain it to a single person, but newcomers will fall again to it.
Unless you are in power of pushing it in school, I doubt you can do anything about it.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:57:19 PM

kind-of bug: in the Invest tab there is the amount of BTC invested changes very quickly, which is a total pain if you want to copy/paste it somewhere.
Couldn't you slow it to max 1 update every ~3 seconds?

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:02:51 PM

kind-of bug: in the Invest tab there is the amount of BTC invested changes very quickly, which is a total pain if you want to copy/paste it somewhere.
Couldn't you slow it to max 1 update every ~3 seconds?

Take a screen capture? You push one or two buttons, and you have "frozen" the quickly changing numbers. But if you wanted to divest it all, there is that button there. You can invest it all back almost immediately. Then your history has a non-changing numbers which you can easily copy/paste.

Does that work?

About the app, Apple will not approve it, but do you need Google's approval to make an android app? (Only if you want it in the google play store or market, maybe.)

Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:06:45 PM

Take a screen capture? You push one or two buttons, and you have "frozen" the quickly changing numbers. But if you wanted to divest it all, there is that button there. You can invest it all back almost immediately. Then your history has a non-changing numbers which you can easily copy/paste.

Does that work?

Nope, that's not about divesting: I need to do that to update a spreadsheet where I list my holdings.
Since I do that fairly often, taking screen captures is way too tedious: I just need to quickly copy the value, so that I can paste it in the spreadsheet.
Currently I can double click the number, and try to hit ⌘C faster than the number update: if they do update, the selection is removed and I have to double click again...
Let's say it's like a reflexes game I'd rather not play :V

No big deal, of course, but if it was fixed it would be nice Wink

willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:18:16 PM

Does that work?

Nope, that's not about divesting: I need to do that to update a spreadsheet where I list my holdings.
Since I do that fairly often, taking screen captures is way too tedious: I just need to quickly copy the value, so that I can paste it in the spreadsheet.
Currently I can double click the number, and try to hit ⌘C faster than the number update: if they do update, the selection is removed and I have to double click again...
Let's say it's like a reflexes game I'd rather not play :V

No big deal, of course, but if it was fixed it would be nice Wink

hopefully Dooglus will add the API soon, it's painful not having my just-dice holdings automatically updating in my google doc...

Will

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 252 »
  Print  

Jump to: