Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:14:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which expedited shipping option would you like to see:
Flat fee Overnight with insurance ($300+) - 31 (23.7%)
Flat fee Two-Day with insurance($200+) - 39 (29.8%)
Flat fee Overnight, no insurance ($150) - 19 (14.5%)
Flat fee Two-Day with no insurance ($99) - 42 (32.1%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 255 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] US/North American Bitfury sales NEW STOCK ***NOW SHIPPING***  (Read 576751 times)
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:43:46 PM

Stuff burning up or failing.  Falling behind on shipping orders.  Promised hashrates not being delivered.  No communication from KnC about any of it, they suddenly stopped saying anything.  Just about their whole customer base has started going ballistic...

They're knocking themselves out of the game very quickly...

I don't envy them to be honest, they have a lot of customers with a lot riding on their success (as all of these companies do). It does seem though that the worst thing that you can do in this kind of situation is close off the lines of communication - this forum breeds lynch mobs pretty quickly. Even if everybody is needed down in the factory building kit 24/7 it surely pays to have one guy/girl in the office calming the crowds.

heh, JOSH ;p

yeah the KNC rollout loks spotty. on time, with many good units and 500GH speeds, but also lots of poor performance units

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tom99

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:44:12 PM

Have any of the october shipments shipped?

Maybe we will get good news next week on.
tom99

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Stuff burning up or failing.  Falling behind on shipping orders.  Promised hashrates not being delivered.  No communication from KnC about any of it, they suddenly stopped saying anything.  Just about their whole customer base has started going ballistic...

I don't envy them to be honest, they have a lot of customers with a lot riding on their success (as all of these companies do). It does seem though that the worst thing that you can do in this kind of situation is close off the lines of communication - this forum breeds lynch mobs pretty quickly. Even if everybody is needed down in the factory building kit 24/7 it surely pays to have one guy/girl in the office calming the crowds.

heh, JOSH ;p

yeah the KNC rollout loks spotty. on time, with many good units and 500GH speeds, but also lots of poor performance units

KNC did not do long burn test on asic miner and maybe too much for OC.
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 05:17:58 PM

heh, JOSH ;p

i think so.an extra 24hrs of testing and burnin mayve revealed a lot of the issues and bad units. (although, KNC did save themselves from a factory fire :0

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
Trance104

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 05:28:41 PM

Have any of the october shipments shipped?

Maybe we will get good news next week on.

Received a fast reply.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:17:45 PM

heh, JOSH ;p

i think so.an extra 24hrs of testing and burnin mayve revealed a lot of the issues and bad units. (although, KNC did save themselves from a factory fire :0
Honestly, with the nature of the product, the tremendous cost of delays (mining delays) and the fact none of these folks can realistically hire 20 techs to man phones/email - I don't know how you pull off a clean product introduction.  It's just going to be a zoo.  Neither customers or manufacturers want this equipment being tested for a week.  Even if the hardware works flawlessly you have hundreds of non tech newbs like me that have had no formal tech training trying to install these things at the same time.  It's just going to be a free for all for a few weeks.  But I have not been keeping up.  Maybe they do have some more inexcusable issues.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 06:20:07 PM

On an offtopic note... seems like KnC customers are having a lot of problems

a) The fire extinguisher was not included.
b) Not enough packing. (leading do many problems with fans falling off, bad heat conduction)
c) Not shipping on the dates expected. (with no talk of compensation so far)
d) Serious problems with hosted miners. (with no talk of compensation so far)

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

heh, JOSH ;p

They made a HUGE mistake by going too far with the OC.  They promised a lower number and could have delivered that without anyone saying anything.  But instead they took it to the max which is causing more heat in data center, problems with voltage regulators and if there is a fan issue much worse things tend to happen.  I doubt they tried the full overclock they delivered for more then 48 hours with more then a few units.  If they did they would have seen they pushed it too far.

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:26:01 PM

^doesnt seem like KNC has many "inexcusable" issues, but there are 'annecdotal' (in quotes because its not widespread) accounts of:

-capacitors blowing/catching fire (primarily with a specific update 0.93)
-units hashing under 300GH or instability (good chance some small tuning or setup adjustment swill fix many of these)
- units arriving with fans or heatsinks knocked off
- units with poorly-attached heatsinks and/or poor use of thermal paste (i assume a minor issue unless whoever did it was sloppy)

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 06:30:18 PM

^doesnt seem like KNC has many "inexcusable" issues, but there are 'annecdotal' (in quotes because its not widespread) accounts of:

-capacitors blowing/catching fire (primarily with a specific update 0.93)
-units hashing under 300GH or instability (good chance some small tuning or setup adjustment swill fix many of these)
- units arriving with fans or heatsinks knocked off
- units with poorly-attached heatsinks and/or poor use of thermal paste (i assume a minor issue unless whoever did it was sloppy)

KNC is lucky this is being treated as a device for technically savy users.  If a normal person got this item they would plug it in fans in right or not and it would be a disaster.  Many KNC customers can fix it themselves and have the parts like fans and heat paste.  Imagine how much it would cost them if they had to send each failing unit back or pay for a tech to fix them. 

Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:33:05 PM

On an offtopic note... seems like KnC customers are having a lot of problems

a) The fire extinguisher was not included.
b) Not enough packing. (leading do many problems with fans falling off, bad heat conduction)
c) Not shipping on the dates expected. (with no talk of compensation so far)
d) Serious problems with hosted miners. (with no talk of compensation so far)

a) LOL
b) supposedly being addressed. We will know in a few days
c) agreed
d) compensation was offered and in some cases received. 1 bitcoin per day not hashing from expected delivery, and 1 month free hosting.

My personal thought on this is that they made a hell of an effort, and hit some unforseen (largely due to optimism) speedbumps. So far, they have been very up on things up to sep 30th, after which they somewhat dropped the ball. According to Bitcoinorama, they've all been working themselves ragged trying to fix everything. I suspect they'll get it all ironed out to the satisfaction of most of their customers. Having followed their development since the day they posted their proposal, I will have to say that there will be some who are not satisfied no matter what. I think those few can be discounted, because there is no scenario under which they would be satisfied.

The extreme variance in hashrate is troubling, and I suspect there are hardware problems that have not been addressed by KnC, though we simply don't know what they're doing. Again, I think they will bend over backwards to make it right. These boys have pride, and skills. That's a dangerous, but usually useful combination of traits.
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:37:10 PM

Personally, i blame the people who were in such a hurry, that they screamed bloody murder when things were a day or two late. As I've said before, there is always time to do it right the second time. You all wanted them so bad that you were willing to forego proper testing. So now you are seeing the results.

I wonder what percentage of units shipped are failing. I'll bet it is a statically acceptible number and would have been weeded out during burnin, if you had given them a chance to do burin. When i was in the AF we always said "you throw aways serial number 1." When i was in industry, we always kept the first items produced for support and further development.

Instead of second guessing them and telling them how to do their jobs, leave them alone to do what needs to be done. I doubt any of you could have done any better. If you could do better, then why aren't you. It is easy to be a mondy morning quarterback.

You people make me laugh, you gamble thousands of dollars and then piss and moan when some of the risk that made it a gamble becomes apparent. I can just imagine how you would have cried if they had delivered 100% working equipment 2 weeks late.
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:42:22 PM

Personally, i blame the people who were in such a hurry, that they screamed bloody murder when things were a day or two late. As I've said before, there is always time to do it right the second time. You all wanted them so bad that you were willing to forego proper testing. So now you are seeing the results.

I blame the people who presold equipment with a given delivery date, and couldn't make working equipment by that date.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:44:54 PM

I blame the people who presold equipment with a given delivery date, and couldn't make working equipment by that date.

You are sort of right, they should have given a date +-4 weeks. That would have been more appropriate.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 06:57:06 PM

You are sort of right, they should have given a date +-4 weeks. That would have been more appropriate.

...and then people would bitch about not having a specific date. Truth is they are in a race, and the only way to win is be first.

I didn't preorder simply because I didn't have the money. I would have bet on that horse (and not bitfury, so I got it half wrong Smiley ). I think KnC has delivered well enough. As in my previous post, I think there are people who you just cannot satisfy, regardless. I would be happy with what they have done, and I'd be faking patience if I were one of the people who's miners didn't make the final announced spec. I'd certainly be on them about it, but not mean. Just "hey, here's what it's doing, what next?".

I think for the next gen of chips, manufacturers would be wiser to work totally in secret and have a consumer grade product ON HAND before opening their order books, even if it's just a small batch. It's a safer model for all involved. But there is danger there, as well, due to the time sensitive nature of this race.
murraypaul

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:05:09 PM

I think for the next gen of chips, manufacturers would be wiser to work totally in secret and have a consumer grade product ON HAND before opening their order books, even if it's just a small batch. It's a safer model for all involved. But there is danger there, as well, due to the time sensitive nature of this race.

Safer for everybody except the manufacturer.
With the current model, they get your money up front, and get to keep it, almost regardless of how poorly they perform.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:05:13 PM

the next generations will follow as:

server grade 28nm bitcoin miners.   used for data centers.  That phase is already going on behind your backs.

the next phase after that is to go toward ~14nm bitcoin miners for data center usage.

I can tell you this...there are a few people making 28nm data center miners right now.

The only other way to be competitive is create a miner product that is reliable, cheap, easy to scale,  and cost efficient.  Hence bitfury 55nm chip.
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:24:57 PM

server grade 28nm bitcoin miners.   used for data centers.  That phase is already going on behind your backs.

the next phase after that is to go toward ~14nm bitcoin miners for data center usage.

I can tell you this...there are a few people making 28nm data center miners right now.

The only other way to be competitive is create a miner product that is reliable, cheap, easy to scale,  and cost efficient.  Hence bitfury 55nm chip.
didn't you bring up aladyain what have they been doing? know how much they've sold last month and if they are hashing? they'd have to be otherwise they just lose money

ok
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 07:35:33 PM

Sorry that was not me.  I am referring to about 6 companies going 28nm for data center usage.   14nm will be the generation after that.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 07:50:54 PM

Sorry that was not me.  I am referring to about 6 companies going 28nm for data center usage.   14nm will be the generation after that.

There will be a lot of optimizing done for 28nm as well as 22nm designs before we get to 14nm.

Pages: « 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 255 »
  Print  

Jump to: