Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:38:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Baikal Giant N - Cryptonight, Cryptonight-lite FPGA/ASIC miner  (Read 32778 times)
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 11:35:50 AM

The question  is how long will it take for baikal to release the new firmware for the giant n that works with the new monero algo. Or will they have to make a new miner every 6 months. Maybe someone  can ask baikal about this. If baikal offers a solution to this then they will definitely sell out.

Very slim chance, they haven't even released the promised 2 new algos for x10 and that miner came out couple of months ago.

Most likely there will be no firmware update for Giant N, and they will release a Giant N #2 miner to make more money from people after they done mining. LOL.

Maybe not for the consumers but you can damn well bet they have it for themselves.  Like I said before and no one seems to want to listen.  Fork fork fork away it’s not going to matter.  Only to the naive ones I suppose.

I really wish people would stop calling FPGA's ASICs.  Baikal (so far) has only made FPGA mining rigs.  There is a huge difference between an FPGA and an ASIC.  An FPGA is not that much different from a GPU.  Anyone can get one.  Anyone can buy a Zynq FPGA board from digikey for $89-$199, or a higher end one for more money, and if you take a little while to learn how to program it, you can hash any algorithm except equihash & ethash.  Furthermore, your ROI will be better than a GPU in almost every case, in some cases dramatically better (as Baikal showed with the X10 and Giant-B).

Are you really sure that Baikals X10/B are FPGA? (Which FPGA, by the way?) While it is enterely possible, technical characteristics of these products are not typical for FPGA. Especially the low power consumption.

As for ROI I wouldn't expect good ROI from entry and mid-range FPGA boards because of their weak power supplys. We need propertly designed professional grade DC/DC for core voltage, that is rarely seen in practice.

There is nothing suspicious about the Giant-N.  I was already working on an FPGA cryptonight miner before the Giant-N was announced (and obviously I am now focusing on other algorithms).  The power of 60W is realistic for one FPGA accessing many external SRAM's.  Unlike DRAM, SRAM consumes very little power.  The fundamental nature of Cryptonight is that it uses almost no number crunching (by design).  A single FPGA just accesses many parallel SRAM's and these memory accesses do not consume a great deal of power.  FPGA's consume way less power than other mining devices already.  Consider the X10 burns 250-500W and makes the same amount per day as a 2000W GPU rig.  Some algorithms burn more, some burn less, and algorithms that have no number crunching (like Cryptonight) burn the least.  The reason a Vega 56/64 burns so much power on cryptonight is because it is using high bandwidth external memory, a totally different approach than using many SRAM's in parallel.

FPGA's can be reconfigured very quickly.  It is true that certain PCB designs and part selections are better at some algorithms than others.  But it doesn't matter if Monero does a hard fork, you can still just use an FPGA to mine the new algorithm, ad infinitum.  As I mentioned before, only Ethash is truly resistant to FPGA's.  As Baikal has more and more FPGA miners on the market with different types of FPGA's and RAM (Giant-B, X10, Giant-N), a coin which 'forks' would have to know the exact internal configuration of every FPGA mining rig on the market to 'avoid' a new algorithm which could be efficiently mined by them.  To give an example, there is a decent chance that Monero's new algorithm could be (accidentally) mineable by the Giant-B or Giant-X10 or Giant-N, and all Baikal has to do is release new bitstreams (firmware for the SD card) that would update those rigs to mine the new algorithm.

As the number of different FPGA rigs on the market continues to increase, it would be very difficult to fork to an algorithm that would be immune to those rigs, unless you pick an Ethash style algorithm.  Furthermore if you add in all the cheap FPGA boards available from companies like Digikey, Avnet, Xilinx and Intel, then there is ALREADY a mass produced FPGA board that can do any algorithm efficiently except Ethash.

FYI the Monero ASIC statement is specific to ASIC's.  They specifically say they want to avoid ASICs mining their coin (they speak of FPGA's more favorably, and separately from ASICs).  Since the Giant-N is an FPGA rig, it doesn't actually fall into the category of something they would fork away from.  Furthermore, the Giant-N hash rate is not devastating to GPU's.  It has a slightly better ROI than Vega's, but in no way do Vega's become obsolete.  Baikal would have to ship out 100,000 Giant-N's to truly disrupt the Cryptonight networks, which is unlikely.

(BTW I bought 2 Giant-N from a local reseller in Vancouver.  The units are supposed to arrive on Monday.)

You take the point.
Thanks for long post and good information  Grin

I completely agree..  All I can say is best of luck to crypto community.  Looks like this is nail in coffin for decentralization.  Hell behind closed doors this was always a thing.  Anyone here remember the beekeeper Chris from ltcgear. He may just have been onto something.  Too bad he scammed us all.

BR

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
ZoomZoomBits

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 12:49:55 PM

Would someone be able to share the Baikal payment details they have received for their Giant N order?
Thanks.
I have the same question.
I sent order yesterday and still no payment details.

Received these account details:

Account No: 3669029665
Beneficiary: SEARIVER INDUSTRIAL LIMITED
Room 2105, Trend Centre, 29-31 Cheung Lee Street,
Chai Wan, Hong Kong

Can anyone confirm?
bitcoinexplorer

Activity: 420
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 12:56:59 PM

Would someone be able to share the Baikal payment details they have received for their Giant N order?
Thanks.

Chai Wan, Hong Kong

Can anyone confirm?

When i last paid when i bought X10, the details were not this. Be careful!
charles2k

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 01:09:26 PM

Thanks.

Chai Wan, Hong Kong

Can anyone confirm?

So I received the same bank account details.
garytheasshole

Activity: 406
Merit: 105

Chosŏn Minjujuŭi Inmin Konghwaguk

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 01:18:35 PM

https://www.hongkongcompanygo.com/hongkong?utm_term=Seariver-Industrial-Limited&utm_source=2586774

tboy32c

Activity: 42
Merit: 25

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 01:40:30 PM

I really wish people would stop calling FPGA's ASICs.  Baikal (so far) has only made FPGA mining rigs. ...

How can you tell the difference?

MagicSmoker

Activity: 420
Merit: 182

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 03:05:21 PM

I really wish people would stop calling FPGA's ASICs.  Baikal (so far) has only made FPGA mining rigs. ...

You probably can't without physically inspecting the chips used.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 03:10:27 PM

I really wish people would stop calling FPGA's ASICs.  Baikal (so far) has only made FPGA mining rigs. ...

You probably can't without physically inspecting the chips used.
This is true, and besides that, the fact that Baikals can theoretically be flashed to hash other algorithms gives it away. The Baikal miners being FPGAs also meant that they were less efficient than the D3 X11 ASICS when the D3s first came out. FPGAs are typically weaker than ASICs.
rattle99

Activity: 518
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 03:54:37 PM

Nobody is buying these, the algos are changing soon so will make this an expensive doorstop. Not good news for Baikal, maybe they didn't know about it.

They did what they always have..they mined with this puppy for months....so big whoop they get their hand slapped and don't dump them on us..they

still likely killed it $$$ wise...

The algos are changing?
kl4real

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:01:27 PM

They're obviously trying to get rid of stock/make sales.  They finally responded to my email that I sent them 2 months ago for the Giant B w/their generic email with prices for all their products.

same here.  they just responded to my purchase request from over 2 months ago with the generic email - they're acting as if i emailed them yesterday or something.  seems weird and desperate.
Goool

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:04:25 PM

Where can be the Baikal-n be bought? Do you think it's still profitable?

For 15 Days you can have $20 / day but after you can use it as doorstop as you will not be able to mine something.
Good job BAIKAL
So if you wanna make a gift to baikal go on and buy  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
ruplikmastik

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:06:02 PM

Where can be the Baikal-n be bought? Do you think it's still profitable?

For 15 Days you can have $20 / day but after you can use it as doorstop as you will not be able to mine something.
Good job BAIKAL
So if you wanna make a gift to baikal go on and buy  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What about the a3? Is it better?
Goool

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:25:40 PM

In the same situation but they have negotiation with SIA developers ..
oomurashin

Activity: 195
Merit: 15

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:34:27 PM

setup video  Angry Angry Angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaIxRA3DVCg
ruplikminer

Activity: 504
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:53:59 PM

In the same situation but they have negotiation with SIA developers ..

So in theory better... Also no moq @nd lower buying price. The A3 is $1600 now right?
ght3d

Activity: 50

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:15:28 PM

The ones who know more: Is it possible to reprogram FPGA everytime some fork occurs with Cryptonight algo and thus still keep mining? Or cannot it be done?

It is technically possible to reprogram FPGA, and the V7 POW function is almost  same as older one.
So new bitstream should update FPGA, but the question is will this bitstream be released and when it will happen.

BTW old X6500, ztex and others can mine altcoins with profit.

Thx for bringing that up, I totally forgot about the X6500rev3 and 2 versions.  Makes me wonder about other "asic resistant" algo's out there...only matter of time for FPGA and Asic?

Take a look at MagiCoin with their m7m hashing algo, asic's would be useless there. Also there's Verium, mineable only with CPU's, no GPU's because of the huge amount of RAM it requires to launch the miner. It uses scryptN algo. Developing and asic for these kind of coins would cost a load of money, that's why these coins are trully decentralized.
qqqua

Activity: 69

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:24:38 PM

ETN team working very "fast"
While ETN change their algo all asics morally obsoleted
if they can't do it themselves then they will hire guy that works on monero fork
MA3A

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 05:56:07 PM

Interesting turnaround with these miners...looks like an infinite battle of good vs evil Cool cant wait to see results of XMR fork, which apparently will happen within days.

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
Turkish88

Activity: 714
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 06:12:58 PM

Nobody is buying these, the algos are changing soon so will make this an expensive doorstop. Not good news for Baikal, maybe they didn't know about it.
They know more then you can imagine

Help to Ukrainian citizens
ETH donations adress - 0xe23CB47AC32F0b8750d4D0Dd4e160Fa6F8fF30EF
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 06:25:54 PM

They know more then you can imagine

everybody buying this is just financing their next batch to fuck up cryptonight v7

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 »
  Print  

Jump to: