Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:10:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitShares PTS (formerly ProtoShares) Mandatory Upgrade & Snapshot Announcement  (Read 218396 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2013, 01:26:40 AM

So I have almost a dozen machines running

Did I get this right that with ProtoShares I'd rather invest in one huge huge huge miner than in 12 machines? Or is there an upper limit of RAM that I could possibly put into my machine?
How much RAM do your 12 machines have? I'm just curious …

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:44:22 AM

Did I get this right that with ProtoShares I'd rather invest in one huge huge huge miner than in 12 machines? Or is there an upper limit of RAM that I could possibly put into my machine?

My ones at home are 4 to 16 GB each. The ones at work can be up to 256 GB not that this software would ever come close to using that even with 64 threads.

---

I installed OPs software on all my systems at home last night and ran for 12 hours. On systems with more than two threads I ran the program (with different ports and data directories) with genproclimit 2.

However... only two machines at the end of the 12 hours were on the actual current block. All the others had become confused. It was not a connectivity issue: there is no indication of a internet disconnection etc.

On primecoin this happens too, but maybe only once or twice per week, on 1 or 2 machines at most. So I am surprised to see this problem is so prevalent with this client. When -QT based clients do this, they continue to mine with threads wasting energy without alerting you to the problem, so you must actively look for it.

For those wondering, the full shortcut command to launch with low priority, a different port and data dir, and autostart with 2 threads is: (example)

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "runlow" /low C:\protoshares\protoshares-qt.exe  -port=17690  -gen -genproclimit=2 -datadir=C:\ProtoShares2

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:03:05 AM

My ones at home are 4 to 16 GB each. The ones at work can be up to 256 GB not that this software would ever come close to using that even with 64 threads.

---

I installed OPs software on all my systems at home last night and ran for 12 hours. On systems with more than two threads I ran the program (with different ports and data directories) with genproclimit 2.

However... only two machines at the end of the 12 hours were on the actual current block. All the others had become confused. It was not a connectivity issue: there is no indication of a internet disconnection etc.

On primecoin this happens too, but maybe only once or twice per week, on 1 or 2 machines at most. So I am surprised to see this problem is so prevalent with this client. When -QT based clients do this, they continue to mine with threads wasting energy without alerting you to the problem, so you must actively look for it.

For those wondering, the full shortcut command to launch with low priority, a different port and data dir, and autostart with 2 threads is: (example)

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "runlow" /low C:\protoshares\protoshares-qt.exe  -port=17690  -gen -genproclimit=2 -datadir=C:\ProtoShares2
Don't use the official client to mine PTS. The current mining softwares (pool miner or optimized solo miner) are more than 5 times faster in mining. You are wasting your CPU power.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:09:40 AM

---

Don't use the official client to mine PTS. The current mining softwares (pool miner or optimized solo miner) are more than 5 times faster in mining. You are wasting your CPU power.

Is solo mining even possible now with any decent chance?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 10:52:27 AM

---

Is solo mining even possible now with any decent chance?

As far as I know, with 20 cores, one block needs in average 60 days, assuming the difficulty does not increase. So, I don't think solo mining makes much sense even with 12 machines.  If he uses the official client, then more than 300 days for 20 cores to find a block.
Milan77

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:51:45 AM

I am mining with i7 3770k and 4Gb ram.
Getting 5.5 shares per minute and around 150-160 collisions.
Using ptsminer 0.7 with option AVX, 8, 26

Am I missing something or that is maximum (at stock CPU speed) Huh

Thanks.
Milan
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:00:43 AM

Thanks.
Milan

I think that's a reasonable value, according to my own experience.
gnostication

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 06:41:42 AM

I know I've seen something that says we are close to having all the PTS that ever will be generated.

I guess I could do the calculations, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their heads what the last block # will be?

This will help me see how much to put into the mining efforts at the moment.

Thank you.
FreeTrade (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:21:42 AM

News - Distribution At Block 32000 - MemoryCoin 2.0

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1310.0

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
BitThink
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:47:42 AM

Block reward seems to be around 23 now (starting from 50), so with 5% reduction every new difficulty, it still leaves a months of meaningful mining. But I wager a lot of miners will lose interest unless there is actual usage (transactions) after that.

Reward reduction is faster than difficulty increasing, but more miners leaving will bring better income for the remaining miners, so the system will keep working.

I don't think we will see the actual usage in the near future. I think bitShares exchange will not likely be available in 2014, that's the reason why PTS was supposed to be mined for 2 years. 
gnostication

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:15:13 PM

I understand that as difficulty goes up, mining becomes less cost effective. 

I'm more interested in getting as many shares as I can at a price lower than retail.  I don't care about making an immediate profit on them by selling out.  (I consider it a medium-long term holding.)

Therefore, mining is a useful way to get in at < retail.  I'm just trying to figure out how much longer we'll have at the game before it dries up.  I haven't found anywhere the number of blocks that PTS will have.

I guess it doesn't matter and I should just push hard now, without considering the longer-term mining potential?  *shrugs*  I'm sure I'll have some clock time dedicated to mining it for as long as it lasts....
Milan77

Activity: 202

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 09:15:11 PM

Thanks.
Milan

I think that's a reasonable value, according to my own experience.

Now it dropped to 2,4 shares/minute and 155 collisions, and it is stable there, all 8 cores are at 100% usage and that is it.
Isn't it little too low value now ?
dE_logics

Activity: 686

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:02:21 AM

@FreeTrade

Your alts are pretty unique.

I'm sure you'll make a breakthrough someday, but I don't think this's it.

See my signature for my thoughts of the ultimate cryptocurrency.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
dE_logics

Activity: 686

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2013, 06:05:21 AM

And next time you make a coin, please add [ANN] to the subject.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
Tamis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:16:06 PM

0 active connexions to Protoshares network even after adding nodes !

Is it down ?
tom_o

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 06:57:10 PM

ypools latest miner is almost an order of magnitude faster than the one in OP and can use 1gb per thread.
M31

Activity: 139

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 01:07:32 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2013, 01:20:42 AM by M31

I've scanned the i7 version of ypool's miner, as well as the generic version, and both come up virus positive.  

Only avast is triggered for the i7 version, but many of the scanners go off for the generic version of the miner (looks like many bitcoin related hits).

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

Is there an optimized version of qt that I might run solo, other than the original (slow) version?  Or am I worrying about nothing and just getting false positives?

Thanks for any help...

gnostication

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 05:52:41 AM

I use ypool's miner (actually not written by anyone directly connected to ypool).

That said, it isn't actually open source. Therefore, no checking to ensure the code is clean.

(And mainstream enterprise considers open source to be *less* secure.  HAH!)

So who knows at this point in the game?  *shrugs*

(Nice work doing your security diligence, all the same.)
Trade101

Activity: 126

Bitstamp trader

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 10:51:39 AM

I think they are false positives. Due to the recently discovered botnets which used infected computers
to mine BTC or other coins, some of the companies behind the AV softwares have decided
to handle every mining software as malware.

see:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ni7gf/symantec_takes_down_500k_bots_of_botnet_used_for/

◥_________________
◥___________
◥_____
 BLUE VELVET CASINO 
_________________◤
___________◤
_____◤
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
December 12, 2013, 11:00:19 AM

I've scanned the i7 version of ypool's miner, as well as the generic version, and both come up virus positive.  
Only avast is triggered for the i7 version, but many of the scanners go off for the generic version of the miner (looks like many bitcoin related hits).
Is there an optimized version of qt that I might run solo, other than the original (slow) version?  Or am I worrying about nothing and just getting false positives?

False positive. A lot of miners have this problem. Just ignore it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 »
  Print  

Jump to: