Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:49:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 110 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GBTC Bitcoin Investment Trust Observer  (Read 262325 times)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 02:51:46 PM

Slight correction about OTCQX?
https://twitter.com/LiquidXCoin/status/551620608275259392"

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 05:04:35 PM

Dumb question: If you can't liquidate your holdings, only sell them on secondary markets, how is buying on secondmarket now any smarter than buying on gox after their "withdrawal issues" started?

That is a rather indelicate question to ask.  Just because the goxBTC were fetching 20% of face value in the bitcoinbuilder market, it does not mean that the smbitBTC will necessarily go the same way.
If you're implying what I initially thought you are implying: Damn, you're evil, man. Cheesy

Nicely worded, too Cheesy
applesRyummy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 06:54:42 PM

No one has denied it for the simple reason it is true. Smiley
True til proven FUD IMO for this reason. Cheesy
Can't go wrong with that rule.

For what reason did they suspend redemption? Were they forced to? Because I'm sure their investors aren't too happy about this. With this sort of condition, who will buy more BTC at this fund?
Since we are speculating I would say that it has something to do with security issues or their ability to send bitcoin to an exchange to sell for fiat.

A not as bad scenario is that they are not sure they can trust any exchange to keep their investor's money safe and send them fiat for any sales, if this was the case they could allow their customers to redeem bitcoin and their customers could sell the bitcoin themselves
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 07:23:58 PM

That's what I thought.  Over The Counter and pink sheets are synonomous.

Its better than a totally unregulated exchange like bitfinex, et al. But still a lot of manipulation in penny stock land.

If you've ever seen the movie Boiler Room.  That's badically the scene.  Except nowadays theres a whole network of internet "stock promoters" involved.

I got scammed in pennystock before.  Would touch any pink sheet security w a 10 ft pole
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 10:58:18 PM

If you've ever seen the movie Boiler Room.

Yes! Great movie...

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:45:30 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2015, 11:58:25 PM by BitAddict

Investors are not buying anymore (for now) in this fund because:
1. They got fully loaded for a while in the last FBI auction
2. They are waiting for more FBI auctions (still 94k coins remaining)
3. Price is going down and no one likes to catch a knife (Most of investors are already at a loss, or big loss)
4. They mostly FOMO buy when there is a big rally going on
5. Fees are high (but OK if you don't understand bitcoin), but not being able to cashout when you want is just ridiculous.
6. This fund is now full of bagholders, if price keeps going down and bitcoin is not looking good when this launches the reaction could the opposite. A lot of investors trying to get out at the same time.
7. Bitcoin is having really bad press right now, "Worst investment 2014". And with Bitstamp hacked things are not going to improve. Investors will [rightly] think if one of the biggest bitcoin exchanges can't secure their bitcoins, average joe won't be able to do it (at least with current development).
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:23:00 AM

there's a little bit of buying today - very little
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:29:38 AM

3. Price is going down and no one likes to catch a knife (Most of investors are already at a loss, or big loss)
5. Fees are high (but OK if you don't understand bitcoin), but not being able to cashout when you want is just ridiculous.
6. This fund is now full of bagholders, if price keeps going down and bitcoin is not looking good when this launches the reaction could the opposite. A lot of investors trying to get out at the same time.
7. Bitcoin is having really bad press right now, "Worst investment 2014". And with Bitstamp hacked things are not going to improve. Investors will [rightly] think if one of the biggest bitcoin exchanges can't secure their bitcoins, average joe won't be able to do it (at least with current development).

That is a very good point. If the "pros" can't do it why should anyone else try?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 07:07:57 AM

That is a very good point. If the "pros" can't do it why should anyone else try?

... because the use-case for the 'pros' is completely different than your average user.

Not to mention the pro use-case you specifically refer to are the highest high volume trading accounts, interfacing with the legacy banking system and tens of thousands users, with hundreds of new ones signing up, withdrawing, depositing and transacting bitcoins 24 hours of every day since they opened.

BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:55:34 AM

... because the use-case for the 'pros' is completely different than your average user.

Not to mention the pro use-case you specifically refer to are the highest high volume trading accounts, interfacing with the legacy banking system and tens of thousands users, with hundreds of new ones signing up, withdrawing, depositing and transacting bitcoins 24 hours of every day since they opened.

It doesn't matter because average Joe don't know that.
And even if average Joe want to hold his coins in a cold wallet it is usually expensive and/or hard to understand how to do it and if you are fully secure or not.

Once standard wallets are easy, 100% fully secure by default and cheap or free, then average Joe will be able to enter.

Anyway average Joe don't need bitcoin for 99% of normal life transactions. So there is no point for them to buy, only for speculating.
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:11:19 PM

update

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:08:45 PM

And even if average Joe want to hold his coins in a cold wallet it is usually expensive and/or hard to understand how to do it and if you are fully secure or not.

Once standard wallets are easy, 100% fully secure by default and cheap or free, then average Joe will be able to enter.

Anyway average Joe don't need bitcoin for 99% of normal life transactions. So there is no point for them to buy, only for speculating.

Stupid, banks got robbed all the time, yet ppl still use it. Stop saying nonsense idiot. A BTC exchange is always targeted by hackers. An avg Joe isnt. With hardware wallet, an avg Joe dont even need to know how. Just like you dont even have to know how to fix a car to drive one.

Dumbest shit i've read from you recently. I bet you're shorting huh?
skivrmt

Activity: 994
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:29:47 PM

Stupid, banks got robbed all the time, yet ppl still use it. Stop saying nonsense idiot. A BTC exchange is always targeted by hackers. An avg Joe isnt. With hardware wallet, an avg Joe dont even need to know how. Just like you dont even have to know how to fix a car to drive one.

Terrible example of course.  When banks get robbed you don't lose your money, insurance covers your funds.  Gox didn't have insurance.  So as soon as Bitstamp, BTC-e, etc receive insurance please let me know.  Coinbase has insurance as a fyi.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:05:11 AM

Terrible example of course.  When banks get robbed you don't lose your money, insurance covers your funds.  Gox didn't have insurance.  So as soon as Bitstamp, BTC-e, etc receive insurance please let me know.  Coinbase has insurance as a fyi.

Yeah, when banks get robbed, you don't lose your money. Just ask Cyprus.  :-)
See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160292. I guess it just depends on if the robber has government backing...

Insurance will be key for Bitcoin businesses holding coins, you are right. Coinbase is a good example of the right way to do it.

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:16:56 AM

Terrible example of course.  When banks get robbed you don't lose your money, insurance covers your funds.  Gox didn't have insurance.  So as soon as Bitstamp, BTC-e, etc receive insurance please let me know.  Coinbase has insurance as a fyi.

Yeah, when banks get robbed, you don't lose your money. Just ask Cyprus.  :-)
See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160292. I guess it just depends on if the robber has government backing...

Insurance will be key for Bitcoin businesses holding coins, you are right. Coinbase is a good example of the right way to do it.

I recall reading/hearing that when Xapo was relatively new that they had some form of insurance for their customers, not sure if it was their vault or through their debit card but is was nice to see another place that newcomers could start from and feel comfortable with. Just to state the obvious, most of the early adopting folks take pride in their knowledge to be able to bank themselves but the masses will only care about some entity handling their funds for them safely and being able to use bitcoin for its benefits of fast usage and the ability to obtain discounts by using it.
seriouscoin

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 05:52:15 PM

And you just proved my point, this has nothing to do with bitcoin. Any financial institution must have insurance.

Dumb asses always seem to speak loudest in the room.

seriouscoin

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:58:38 PM

So any updates  Grin Small guys are dumping, but that does not mean much
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 11:05:07 PM

Sucks for the Bitcoin trust investors that haven't been able to cash out since October.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 11:08:00 PM

So any updates  Grin Small guys are dumping, but that does not mean much

I dont think you're seeing small players dumping right now... I'm just as interested in what SecondMarket people are doing, though.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:43:39 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2015, 03:25:00 PM by David Rabahy

So any updates  Grin Small guys are dumping, but that does not mean much
I dont think you're seeing small players dumping right now... I'm just as interested in what SecondMarket people are doing, though.
I bought through SecondMarket around $700/btc and I'm delighted to stay the course.  I wouldn't have sold even if I could have.  Either Bitcoin et al are the biggest thing since electricity and the wheel or it goes to zero.  As applications deploy then the utility/value of Bitcoin will rise.  The lackluster sentiment right now is just fine.  What'd I like to do is acquire more Bitcoins but that would compromise my diversification.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... 110 »
  Print  

Jump to: